April 30th, 2008

360° Interview with Michelle Obama on Wright controversy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D
Hey Bloggers,

Just wanted to let you guys know about our program tonight:

AC360° will have the first primetime sit-down interview with Michelle Obama, wife of Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

We’ll talk about how the re-ignited Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy is affecting the family, her husband's campaign, and everything in between….

Join us tonight at 10p ET for the 360° interview

1. Tannis

Obama's campaign must think he's in real trouble if they are having Michelle Obama speak to you. I think that they should have left it alone after Barack spoke yesterday as now it looks like scrambling to save a campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  2. Grace

We support your Michelle!

OBAMA 08

April 30, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  3. Darryl Madison

According to the NY Daily News, Barbara Reynolds, a dedicated Clinton supporter, organized the Wright press conference.

I don't know if Reynolds' eagerness to help Wright stage a disastrous news conference with the national media was a way of trying to help Clinton – but it's safe to say she didn't see any conflict between promoting Wright and supporting Clinton.

Why haven’t your news agencies reported these stories, which put Clinton right back into dirty politics, but more importantly more in the Wright’s story. It seems Wright and Reynolds both supports Clinton now.

April 30, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  4. Andrea Daniely

Please tell Michelle Obama to tell Barrack to keep his head HIGH and be not weary because more than he could ever know WE BELIEVE in him and what he wants to do for AMERICA.

Be like a tree planted.....

Andrea

April 30, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  5. Diane Law

I am delighted to hear that Michelle Obama will be with Anderson Cooper tonight.

As you probably know, the race-mongering bloggers have had a field day with everything from the research papers she wrote as a student to the "proud for the first time" comment she made earlier in the campaign. By the way, after the horrific impacts of scandal and short-sighted trade deals during the Clinton era, and the "six guns at noon" policies and incompetence of the Bush, Jr. years, I understood exactly what she meant when she made that comment, and felt the same. She senses, as I do, that the American people are awakening from a long hard work/no time to pay attention stupor.

The big question remaining for Barack is why he stayed in a church with a pastor who espoused such a divisive message. I hope that Michelle explains clearly that the reason her husband stayed with the church of Rev. Wright, and came to it in the first place, was because of her family and their roots in that church. She must provide an explanation that will will "ring true" for the Indiana and N. Carolina voters.

The Obama campaign is taking a big risk with this interview tonight. Michelle is a woman who is up to the task. I expect that your ratings will soar.

April 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  6. Larry McCumber

I'm sorry the truth about who the Obama's are and where they're coming from. People in America were duped again. Now that I've seen Wright, I see Senator Obama's facial expressions and hand jestures as the same. He's been painted in a corner and now has to lie his way out. He's not who he has wanted us to believe he is. My vote just went to Hillary. At least I know who I'm voting for.

April 30, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  7. David Klaboe

Barack Obama is faltering in the polls. The comments of reverend Wright are affecting his standings. But it is entirely about Obama's judgement or lack of it that people are losing their convictions in his message. True, everyone of the candidates has baggage, but the trouble with Obama is that he painted a very saintly picture of himself, and now he has this ugly problem to deal with. He swore allegiance with the pastor just a few weeks ago when this controversy initially broke, and he made his eloquent race speech in Philadelphia, but now he has broken that allegiance. Understandably, yes but why not then, when these stories first broke? Or even more importantly, years ago when he had to have known much of reverend Wrights inflammatory racist and anti-American views. It also points back to his wife's remarks that she made on several occasions that she was now proud of being an American for the first time in her life. Comments which clearly are from the same theology as their pastor and close family friend. Hillary Clinton should and I expect will wisely stay away from this fray. This campaign is very much about who the person really is. We have seen the mistakes and flaws with Clinton, and she has paid a price. But we know who she is. Obama's flaws have been seemingly kept carefully hidden until now, and I think many are wondering if they really know much about this man. Will he cost the democratic party the white house should he be the candidate? I think so.

April 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  8. Devoin

I have watch this race since it started and I really like Obama and his Family. Too watch Rev Wright speech the other day, which was so hurtfull to so many blacks to tink that he speaks for all black churches was ridiculouis.
    What I got from Rev Wright Performance was a man promoting him self, by using Obama patform and name. I think it about exposer to promoting his agenda, while distorying someone who is viewed as hope for the future. Rev Wright will not be remember for what he has done in the past for the chcurch , but who distory the only African American who had a shot of winning the Presidence. You can't bring everyone with you to the show becuase they will bring you down.
    I'm a software engineer African American who had to do they same as Mr. Obama. I had to work my way thought school, nothing was given to me. I'm the same age as Mr. Obama and have kids. we have worked our way to where we are. You have a lot of People here in Wisconsin with you no matter what happen. I'm pround of what you have achived and hopefully the younger generation learn form what you have done.
    God bless you and your Family

April 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  9. ohio nurse

Yeah! Michele Obama is one classy, extraordinary lady, would make a great 1st lady! Can't wait to hear her in person on your show! My husband & I are white, conservative, middle-class, independent voters – who are behind Obama all the way this time around!

April 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Cece

Wonderful! I really like her! She is wonderful. Very smart cookie. I can't wait to hear what she has to say. This is a shame that all of this has gone down the way it has. Obama is still the best candidate, despite controversy.

April 30, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  11. vicijoy

How many people Obama will throw under the train before this election ends?

Obama attached himself to Rev. Wright in his book as his spiritual leader when he was not so famous and tried to sell his book.

Obama did not get mad because Rev. Wright said G..D… America, Obama did not get mad because Rev. Wright said US government create aid virus ….., Obama did not get mad because Rev. Wright said American bring 911 onto themselves. Obama get mad because Rev. Wright rip his phony mask off when he tells the whole world that Obama hide him at the basement to pray on the day of his candidacy announcement.

Rev. Wright did not hurt Obama. Obama hurts Obama.

April 30, 2008 at 12:04 pm |
  12. Jessie Brown

When will you people realize that you are only fanning the flames of controversy, there are more important things to talk about that Rev. Wright. Many in America will never understand the Black Church and its biblical teachings. To say that a person is anti-American because they say something that mainstream America does not like is rediculous, isn't that what makes this country the envy of others?

April 30, 2008 at 12:03 pm |
  13. James

Thank you for coming out and telling the whole story, when will this end, I am tried of hearing about Rev, Wright story. We need to talk about Obama so Lets move on.

April 30, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  14. Doris

Michelle Obama is a beautiful and strong woman!
    I have enjoyed all of her speeches.
    Barack is a very lucky man.
    It will be so exciting seeing both of you in the White House!

April 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  15. mnjack

She is a fine one to talk!
    She is very much viewed as a black seperatist as well as not
    proud of America.
    The more she keeps her racist mouth shut, the better.
    She is also an empty vessel and a Jackie Kennedy wanna-be
    look-alike.
    Sorry, I have read many similar comments in the blogs.

April 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  16. Sue in Florida

Here you go again....with bias reporting. So when do you plan to
    offer the same to the other candidates? You keep playing the Obama
    card, why one must wonder. Anyhow, this is why 360 is no longer a
    program that I make sure I see each night. Please be fair, this is so
    not the Anderson I once watched and put on a pedestal. Thanks!

April 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  17. Body Canada

AC 360, please you guys should live Obama alone. You can not hold a child responsible for the crime committed by his Dad...maybe only in America. If Dems. really want to take over white house, you guys should focus on how to get Obama and Mrs Negative Clinton work to gether. Otherwise the Reps gets another 4 years....

April 30, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  18. victor

hey Barrack, lets get this movement going againg and not waste our time on these issues just divide the country. the people are waiting . wright is the past we are now dealing with the future. not saying that we don't respect the past , but your vision is waht we need to move this country and the world forward

April 30, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  19. brenda, New York

Michelle Obama is arrogant just like her husband. I think Obama is a liar and he just wants to make a name for himself. All of sudden he has decided to throw his pastor under bus. Why didn't he do it before. Now whatch how Reveren Wright comes back and exposes Obama with everything he knows about him. Obama does not fool anyone, at least not me. I will vote for him if he is the nominee because I'm a democrate. However, I would not be thrilled about it. Un the other hand, Hillary is the right person for president, and I know she will do a very good job. She just needs to be given chance. Obama brings too much problems with him right now, and you all can rest a sure that he be a problem for the democratic party, when he goes up against the Republicans. They are going to make mint's meat out of him. They can not touch Hillary, she is too smart and tough. Also she knows her stuff, where he don't. We all want hope and change, but Obama is not ready. I strongly belive he will be ready in 2012. Obama needs to learn how to crawl before he can walk. Hilllary '08!!!

April 30, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  20. Mary Phoenix

Michelle and Barack should stop trying to blame everything on Rev. Wright, they should speak the truth about what's really going own and should not hide their feelins about what they really feel. After tonight go home and stop Michell and Barak are not honest people they are no better than Hillary they are both telling untruth about different things. Michell has to answer herself about the staments she made!! Is she proud of America now, Are they friends with Rev. Wright NOW!! GET IT Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  21. Henri

We love the Obamas because this is our last hope to change this country for the better. The Clintons are liars and cheaters. The American people deserve a Presidency we can be proud of and not cringe every time we hear the word 'President'. We will do everything in our power to elect Obama. Caroline Kennedy was correct when she described Obama as a person we can proudly pass the torch to. Let's giter done America!

April 30, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  22. John Baker

The biggest concern that I have about the Rev. Wright controversy are the inconsistencies in Barack's stories. The week before his Philadelphia speech Barack Obama said that he had NOT heard the Reverend make any of the comments in church. Then the following week he said that he DID hear the comments but did not agree with them. He either lied the first or the second time! Then in his speech in Philadelphia the story was totally different than his speech yesterday. I really believe that the BIG issue here is the fact that Barack has no integrity and is a liar!

April 30, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  23. Andrea

Would it be okaay if you actually asked her about an ISSUE? Like the gas tax break? Is that okay? Or what she plans to do for kids in the White House. Can we please have one reporter or anchor ask a question on issues?

April 30, 2008 at 11:43 am |
  24. Bill

Michelle Obama said on Larry King since her husbands campaign that for the first time in her life she was proud of America.

Is she still proud of America since the Wright controversy?

April 30, 2008 at 11:38 am |
  25. Paula

I am disgusted with Minister Wright, as a christian and black woman-he cannot speak for me or our churches. I attend a church that has crossed the racial lines, we have blacks, hispanics, whites and asians. I am just appauled, because it is so against what Senator Obama is striving for and what his campaign is all about from the very beginning-crossing the racial lines and bringing all of us together. I love Senator Obama and Michelle, and their message. I pray and I know that his campaign will overcome such negative attacks. Obama 08

April 30, 2008 at 11:37 am |
  26. Geoffrey

Why now? Sen. Obama had over a month to separate himself from Wright, when the first tapes aired, and yet he didn't. Seems like an Obama political smoke screen strategy to this voter. Oh and now Michelle Obama is going to set the record straight,,,yea right.

April 30, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  27. Hayden

I feel sorry for Anderson Cooper....he's going to be forced to sit through a whole interview listening to Michelle's lies.

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  28. Judy McClung

I would like to know why she made the comment that she was proud to be an American for the lst time. I would worry that if she feels that way she does not belong in the White House. My husband and my daughter have served our country and I have always been proud to be an American and I am proud of our country and all we do for other countries.

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  29. donna

How can she undo her comments and explain them. She sat with her children in the pews when Wright was giving his sermons. This is strictly damage control and she wants the American peope to feel sorry for her. From what I see of her in Canada she would not make a good first lady. She may be educated but she has no class.

Wonder if you will post these comments. It seems when there is a comment against the Obama's it never gets through.

Go Hillary. This Canadian loves you.

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  30. Veronica McNamara

As I was driving to work this morning I was wishing I had a bumper sticker with the question:

If your minister said somethong outrageous, would it change who YOU are?

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  31. debra lee

this is old news. Michelle don't do this.

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  32. Helen Roy

She would do well to shut up about this whole thing. Dredging it up everyday and whining about it shows you how not tough the Bamas are. Never will I vote for Obama even if I have to vote for McCain and I am a lifelong Democrat at 66 years old. Sorry state of affairs if we get a nominee who has no clue regarding the working class and the elderly and the poor White people.

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  33. Karen-Phoenix

Love you Michelle! Barack took his time and had excellent judgement. Hillary still hasn't gotten rid of Bill after their "fall out" and she backed the war!! I'm sooo proud of Barack!! He wasn't too late in denouncing Wright. And he did it with such class and conviction!!! I'm a 64 year old white working women who feels sooo safe with your husband in charge!!! Good judgement and he care more for the American people than himself. Hillary and McCain are almost narcistic in their desires to attain the presidency!!! Barack says "WE The People", McCain and Hillary say "I". What difference!!! Go Obama!!!

April 30, 2008 at 11:33 am |
  34. Lashawn

The metaphor of "crabs in a barrel" seems to fit the Wright controversy. Who cares about the black church these days? It is often homophobic, sexist and classist.

April 30, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  35. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Anxiously waiting to hear what she has to say and how much is campaign spin. She is just as guilty of sitting in that pew for 20 years as her husband and subjecting her family to this maniac. It is sort of funny watching the campaign squirm and flounder. The truth is always revealed about these jokers in the end. Too bad all this didn't happen before people were naive enough to vote a majority delegate count for him in the primaries.

In other thoughts, was there supposed to be more from New Orleans last night? Jeez. If that was all, Anderson I hope you at least had a chance to eat our amazing cuisine, walk around the Quarter, and hang out in a club or two last night after the show. I figure the trip down should have been worth someone's while.

April 30, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  36. C.E. Adkins

MMMM....Wonder if she will be as honest as her husband has been? Let's get real! From what I hear, Wright is being more honest about his beliefs than Obama is about his!! At least we know where Wright stands! Where there's smoke, there's fire & Obama is sending up hundreds of smoke signals.....when are we going to start reading them!!

Here are Obama's smoke signals (I'm sure there are more):

1. Obama's Wife's Comments...."never been proud of America until now"
    2. Did Obama's representatives say to Canada "don't worry about what Obama is saying...it's just politics"
    3. Speech in San Francisco to liberals "church going, gun toting folks just do this because they are bitter"
    4. Speech to Pennsylvania folks...."I didn't really mean that" (he didn't mean for you to hear that)
    5. Then finally having a personal friend, mentor, and pastor for 20 years & he doesn't even really know his beliefs. (Give me a break! Just like Wright says...he is giving speeches and saying what he has to win the nomination)

C.E. Adkins
    Fort Worth, TX

April 30, 2008 at 11:31 am |
  37. Randy

First, how can Obama convince anyone he could run the country when he doesn't even know what goes on in his own church? Second, if Obama wife is ashamed to be an American, why does she want to live in America? That goes for anyone who is ashamed to be an American. Love it or leave it. Someone you disrespect died to provide you that choice. How could any true American want either Obama or his wife in the White House.

April 30, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  38. Eytan Halaban

Could it be that Rev. Wright had concluded that after all Barak Obama is indeed not 'black enough'?

April 30, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  39. Connie Roseborough

This is the first time in my life I have decided to vote and to see Rev. Wright conduct himself the way he did was very disappointing to me and I am sure to everyone else in the Black community. Barack is trying to bring this coutry together not continuing to divide us!!!! Love you Barack and Michelle!

April 30, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  40. Greg Anderson

With the Rev. Wright attention going on we are missing the big picture. Sentor Clinton has dodged bullets, claimed four states as her home state and counting, which can't be true. She is making promises to fix every problem in the country and wants our trust. Bill Clinton has said her poor comments are because she was up late and tired because she is a 60 year old woman when she brought up 3:00 am. Do we want a President that truly speaks with a fork tongue. We owe it to our nation to select the best person to HELP put our nation on the right track. No one person can do it alone. All I'm asking is: Think before you vote!

April 30, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  41. Jean Michelle

Ask her what is their relationship with Pastor Wright now?

Are they still attending the church? You cannot divorce yourself from the Pastor without divorcing yourself from the church. He is their leader!

This has divided the african-american community.

April 30, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  42. P. Vandenberg

Michelle, the best thing would be to not let the media use you as a tool
    for fodder and spin. Let your husband continue to campaign on his
    merits, and ignore that which is aimed to throw him off message.
    Campaign along side of Barack, and not an interview in which whatever
    you say will be spun against you. Beat them at their own game.

April 30, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  43. Danielle

i cant stand that lady..she tries to play the role of a strong black woman too hard..she is soo annoying and i will never want her to be first lady..and as for obama i cant believe americans are actually voting for him.#1 he has no experienceand number two he denies being a muslim when he really is.. ahh

April 30, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  44. Michelle

I will be watching. It sounds like an
    interesting interview. Thank you 360
    for handling the story responsibly,
    I found the panel last night of Ed
    Rollins, David Gergen, Roland
    Martin and Mary Frances Berry
    to be informative and thoughtful.

April 30, 2008 at 11:14 am |
  45. margareth Buschbacher

Go ......... Michele Obama ...... We love you

Florida-Gainesville

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  46. linda ulman

As a former teacher(white) in a predominately black schools few of Rev. Wright's comments at the NAAAcp surprised or disturbed me.
    we need to come together and not let this hurt/divide us!!
    Are we so "deficient" that we can't do it!?
    linda

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  47. Eileen M

I think it's ashame. However, I think perhaps Obama & his family put themselves in this situation. They should have distanced themselves from Reverend Wright a long time ago......Now Obama has to deal with the consequences which might cost him the election...... It's too unfortunate..... He has to try and put this behind him if that is possible.

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  48. Soren

Michelle Obama is highly intelligent in a graceful and dignified way.
    As opposed to Hillary!.
    Michelle Obama will be the greatest first lady ever. The rest of the
    world will adore her.
    Compared with Mrs. McCain and Hillary – Don't even go there.

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 am |
  49. Teresa

Come on people, Obama has been 20 yrs. with this Pastor Wright and all of the sudden Obama dissagree with his worlds? Obama said "If Pastor Wright says that of me then he don't know me very well" , What I think is Pastor Wright knows Obama VERY WELL, that's why he spoke. Also, who you will pick if a open heart surgery need to be done to you: a 15+ years experienced Dr. or a 3 yr. experienced Dr.? I don't understand why picking Obama, the dumbest thing a hear was on young women: " O my god, he is so cute...that's why I going to vote on him" MY GOD!!! People, wake up. Woman, is our time.

April 30, 2008 at 11:07 am |
  50. TESAP

????? You have the woman there and all you are going to ask her , is Rev Wright questions??????

This story will die when the media wakes up........ and realizes they (media) is the cause of the discrimination and divisive attitudes in this country......

LETS TALK ABOUT