April 29th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/29/08

Tonight, Wright is wrong. That’s what Sen. Barack Obama said at a press conference today. The candidate distanced himself from his former pastor and criticized his appearances over the past few days calling them “objectionable and offensive.” You’ll hear Sen. Obama in his own words and we will dig deeper with the best political team on television. David Mattingly also looks at the relationship between Obama and Wright and how difficult it must have been for the Senator say what he did.

Gary Tuchman has the latest on the polygamous sect down in Texas. One of the teenaged girls removed from the ranch gave birth to a baby boy today. We don’t know how old she is exactly but she is considered a minor.

Anderson is anchoring from New Orleans tonight and won’t be able to comment but Erica Hill will be blogging away. Check her out on our web camera. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CJ

Wow, that is a very ugly game going on in New Orleans. Erica is anything ever going to be done to put that city back together by the Federal Government. It sure has taken a long time to basically do very little to rebuild that city.

April 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Zenta, New York, NY

I wish the case in New Orleans were broadcasted more; it is too big to mention just in a few minutes. I hope AC360 continues this issue.

April 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Jana, Indiana

Haven't those people in NOLA been through enough all ready? I can't believe that the government expects them to pay that money back.

April 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Tim, Nashville, TN

AC360 ROCKS!!!!!! Keep 'em honest. How dare they take advantage of the people of NOLA. This is an "outrage".

April 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Michael

Did anyone notice that Barack confirmed that he and his family did Pray with Rev Wright in the basement before he announced he was running for President last year? For me Senator Obama has a few problems with his creditibility.

April 29, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  6. mona

Our govt is joke, what do they mean we over-estimated ...... They should point out FEMA spent money on trailers that made people sick. 3 years later NO is struggling to revive it self.

April 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Ramone Diaz, Venezuela

Good evening Erica and bloggees.
    what a great show tonight!

April 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, Ohio

Haven't these people suffered enough?

April 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Jennifer - Michigan

The people of New Orleans should not have to return any money for their home repairs! That's terrible! Glad you're keeping them honest. Someone has to do it.

April 29, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

Demanding the money back does not seem legal to me. It's not the people's fault that somebody else "overestimated" the cost of the damage! Outrageous!

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Michael, NC

The idea that the government wants to take this money back is ridiculous. They made the mistake and I bet that these homes probably needed this money to completely refurnish their homes. It is rude an disgraceful.

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Fay, CA

Why should these NOLA residents have to pay for someone else's mistake? Haven't they suffered enough down there–this is ridiculous.

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Mary

I glad Obama denounced the Rev. Wright but I think it is many years to late. There is to much history between these to men for us to believe Obama suddenly became aware of the desenting views of America that Rev. Wright has proclaimed. I'm sorry but we must move past Obama and elect Hillary Clinton a person who can win in November.

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  14. EJ

Those New Orleans contractors should have known the media would be all over that story. Silly contractors.

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Brian Persaud

Stacy> The fact that he respected and supported this flawed pastor for over 20 years might just make some voters suspicious about Obama's views.

April 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

the US governement is so insane sometimes. I would have gone balistic too if I got that letter

April 29, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Maureen T

Thanks goodness the people of New Orleans never give up hope!! These people are definitely survivors!

April 29, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Janna

Is it possible that Wright just got carried away because he felt under attack by the media? Are there any Obama supporters tonight who would've liked to hear him be defended instead? Obama could have not taken it personally. How would that have played politically?

April 29, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Claire

I don't see Obama and Wright ever having a relationship again. I think they are both angry and believe they are right. I personally think Obama did the right thing and I seriously doubt it was an easy decision to break ties with someone that was a friend, especially in such a public way. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

April 29, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. CJ

I agree lynn, could not have said it better. I watched his speach and you could see the hurt in his eyes, this was a very troubling and difficult thing for him to do today, but he did what was right.

April 29, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Chuck in Alabama

For the rest of his given days, Wright will be known as "Obama's Pastor."

April 29, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

I cannot believe that Obama's remarks today will bring him any new supporters, especially not the ones he now needs; White blue collar workers. At this point I think that he is just trying to hang on to those that he already has.

April 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Terri - Wpg, Canada

So what will happen to the baby that was just born? Will it be allowed to stay with it's mother or foster care too? Such a sad way to start life. It has to improve for it's sake.

April 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  24. deborah,OH

Yes, Erica, thank you for the information. I, too, am wondering why, if they are so close.

April 29, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Stacy

Can someone please explain to me what Obama's relationship with Wright has to do with running the country?

April 29, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Michael

I believe Rev Wright will have some more choice words in reguard to Barack Obama and may even produce proof that Obama is being "Just a Politition" something like verfing that he was in church when these statements were made........

April 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Mike - OC, Calif

If Wright = wrong, then what does wrong = ?

Is it Wright's beliefs or is it simply that he is speaking out at the wrong time ?

April 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Laura

I am outraged that a person like Rev. Wright has tried to gain fame at the expense. Obama was never going to lose my support. I sat in church, the same church, for over 40 years and I could not tell you what my minister is saying. Ministers are not God. I read my bible. If this makes Obama lose I think the American people are not as smart as I know they are.

April 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Robert B

it's too late erica. as people yes, obviously they had some relationship, and I am sure it hurts, but come on, how could a man who is running for President not see this coming?

Politically, he will not recover. maybe in 8 years but not now

April 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Kelly, Austin, TX

Tanya, it might not hurt his chances of being the Democrat nominee, but it sure does hurt his chances of winning in the general election.

April 29, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Bob VA

Erica, Con-Men have an expession "A Tell". Disinviting Wright at his announcement and attempting to hide him, was and is still "A Tell",
    Obama has been exposed.

April 29, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Michael, NC

Ed Rollins is right. The appearance of this story completely blindsided the Obama campaign. It came out of nowhere and has given Obama no say as to what he truly believes and how he plans to rebound.

April 29, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. CJ

I just dont think Obama and Wrights relationship will ever be the same. Obama is going to move on and do what he feels is right for his family and this country.

April 29, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  34. lynn

I truly respect Candy and believe her when she said the Barack was truly emotional and saddened by Wright's conduct. I watched all three of Wright's appearances and was totally shocked with his "performance" at the press club...it was almost like another personality.

I believe Obama from the speeches and town hall meetings as well as jhis past.

April 29, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Tanya

Given Obama's lead over Clinton – she needs a 70% win of the remaining 9 contests to surpass his lead – that this mess with Wright will be old news by the time of the DNC convention, and ultimately not hurts his chances of being our Democratic nominee.

April 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  36. deborah,OH

Yes, Claire, the subject is getting old & there are a lot more really important issues to discuss. But interesting things just keep popping up–and start a person thinking. After all, this is for the Presidency.

April 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Mike from Syracuse NY

Obama is showing he is just another politician. He's also showing he's not very good at it either. If he's fooled by his pastor for 20 years, how will he handle the leaders of Iran, North Korea, China, and the rest of our fan club?

April 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Markus

Sorry Chris, but i believe Obama.

April 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Jonathan Wilson

Ok, I want to respectful to you all but some of you are missing the point. Over twenty years of being a part of Wrights church he never heard him say anything that might be offensive? Leaves me to wonder how many times in twenty years he went to church?

April 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Kathy

But what exactly can Wright be getting out of this? I wouldn't buy any book he wrote and now I think he's a nut case.

April 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Tasha

Is Rev. Wright some petulant child that he felt/feels he has to retaliate?? I view Obama as much bigger than that and I'm very disappointed in the pastor. Even Roland who usually seems to defend him or at least sits in the middle isn't doing so tonight.

April 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Jake

I think Obama is not trustworthy! I voted for him, but he has told so many different versions of this pastorgate!

April 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Bob VA

They will all trash Wright now and deservingly so for political power. But if Obama becomes President they will then have a Champaign toast at the white house, with Wright, "right" there

April 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    six tornadoes, I think it will be F2 or F3 can damage more than F1. I remember 3 tornadoes touchdown in Virginia State and now add more 3 tornadoes.

April 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  45. ericacnn

Deborah, from everything I have found, no, they have not spoken...and I have to wonder why.

April 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  46. chris

Obama has not satisfied anyone but his supporters. To me, he's simply done the politically expedient thing. Until the latest polls, Obama believed he would be able to weather the Wright controversy. That's gotta be the reason he disowned the very person he said he could not disown. This is such a blatantly political move by Obama and confirms Wright's statement that Obama is acting and speaking based on his political self interest.

April 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  47. deborah,OH

Erica, have Obama & Wright actually TALKED? I don't think I have heard anything substantial about that happening. You are right. If they had, maybe this would not have happened, or at least been less damaging.

April 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. juanita

Thank God – Barack finally put this guy to rest – I had feelings from the beginning that he never meant Barack any good. Now we can move on to the real issues.

April 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Bonnie

I wonder what Rev. Wright is going to say tomorrow? This is not finished.

April 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Jen in Mex.

Wright is a man with a mega ego, (and not much vision), and Obama has shown a lack of judgement equal to that seen in a Greek drama.
    How sad for all.