April 28th, 2008

Polygamists in Texas: God will make all this work out

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/CRIME/04/25/polygamy/art.ranch.ap.jpg
caption="The Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado, Texas."]

Editor’s note: WE ARE UP FOR A WEBBY AWARD THANKS TO YOU!- SO VOTE FOR US HERE!

Gary Tuchman
360° Correspondent

The FLDS ranch in West Texas is surrounded by wire fence and locked gates. But members of the polygamist sect don't stay put.

Cars go in, and cars go out. What they all have in common is that there are no children in those cars.

I've spent part of the day talking to the men and women driving in and out. They say the raid that led to their children being taken was unjustified and un-American.

Interestingly though, several of them tell me they feel "great." When I ask why they use that particular word, they all say something to the effect that God will make this all work out.

What's notable is that FLDS members have been saying that to me for a long time now.

Before their prophet Warren Jeffs was captured, they told me they felt "great." Before he was convicted of sex crimes, they told me they felt "great." Before this raid, they told me they felt "great."

The most loyal adherents in this sect march to their own drummer. But now, they're doing it without their children.

Filed under: FLDS update • Gary Tuchman • Polygamy
  1. Dori in AZ

I don't doubt that "God will make this all work out." Just not in the sense that the FLDS members believe.

Perhaps God has listened to prayers from frightened children, former members who have escaped the sect, & those of families who've lost loved ones to this sect & others like it.

Perhaps God decided it was time to answer the prayers & commanded, "Let there be light!" And, a young woman in Colorado made a strange phone call to authorities....

April 29, 2008 at 7:08 am |
  2. Patricia

I continue to follow this story very closely. Honestly, while the reality of the situation......over 400 children being taken away from they homes and parents.....may seem extreme to some, or irrational, I do believe that there needed to be a start somewhere. Yes, it is tragic both for these children, as well as their mothers and fathers to be separated for what seems like an indefinite period of time. However, I believe that is was about time an investigation of these communities took place. While it is everyone's right to believe in any form of religion that they wish, it has been known for some time now, that this particular sect's view of religion and society in general was to say the least, quite extremist. I only hope that authorities in Texas, whom I commend for finally standing up to these individuals and stepping in, will make this a serious inverstigation from which these children, as well as any men or women who have been a part of but do not agree with the sect's views will be given benefitted, and given a chance to live differently.

April 28, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  3. Chuck Marino

Your news coverage of the FDLS seems very biased against the sect.
    They've had their small children, some still breast feeding, taken from them by the state of Texas, along with guns pointed at them and property destroyed. None of those facts have gotten the coverage it deserves. This story should be compared to the Waco incident of several years ago.

April 28, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  4. Tanya

If these people believe in God so strongly, why do these men have several wives? I thought the bible spoke of marriage as being between One Man and One Woman. If they truly are not doing anything wrong, why won't they answer the media's questions about their lifestyle honestly. The men who have been interviewed will not admit how many wives they have. If they believe that there is nothing wrong with having more than one wife, and that it is God's will, then they should be willing to share this information. They keep claiming that this is an attack on their religion, however the Amish people also have their own way of living based on their religion and no one has ever had to question how they treat their children. I also thought it was odd to see no toys in the kids' bedrooms. What exactly do these children do all day. Do they even get to enjoy being children and play like normal children do? As far as I'm concerned the FDLS brought this on themselves by choosing to be secretive and illusive to society about how they live. The Amish and Mennonites have been a part of our society for years, living their own way of life and nobody bothers them because of their religion. Maybe it's because the Amish and Mennonites are open to letting society see how they live.

April 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Cathryn Suzanne

My life within a high control sect revealed the underbelly of so called
    religions. The sociopath's heaven of tender victims, a hunting field for unrestrained abuse. I was two when my mother's hand led me into a life of Armageddons imminent approach. To leave the "church" or simply question the belief system or the "Elders" requests would brand one as apostate. Apostates were and are treated as dead. Family members who ignore this rule will be cut off as well.
    The FLDS members who call six rows of chairs a living room do not deserve children.
    The mothers who give their daughters as concubines are sick from the inoculation of "perverted purity " Exposure is the only relief for these captives. Honesty can withstand open discussion.
    I have taken in victims of cults , one seven year old told me about the smell of her four dead cousins. YES, cults kill in many ways. Sometimes it is a slow and lonely death.

April 28, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

I wonder if "feeling great" is part of "staying sweet" in that group? I read Carolyn Jessup's book Escape over the weekend and I can only shake my head at the FLDS charges of the raid being unAmerican. In the America I live in slavery was outlawed over a century ago – the FLDS attitude and treatment of their women and their children is just another form of slavery.

Thanks for the update – I'm glad that after all this time they will talk to you. I guess its ok to talk to a reporter when you are trying to get sympathy for your cause.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

April 28, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  7. E.J.

Polygamists – repent!

April 28, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  8. Barbara-Dalton Ga

Somehow I don't think God is going to make anything work in favor of
    this group. This may be his way of trying to bring them to their senses.
    In some ways the FLDS remind me of the "moonies", I am not sure
    if this group is still around but the group was well known at one time.
    It was amazing how they were able to literally mind control a really
    large group of people.

April 28, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  9. Michael, NC

Doing "great" huh? I was watching the news today and saw that something like 30 of those girls taken from their mothers had been pregnant before and had children, which makes their robot mothers LIARS. They lied through their teeth in their interviews, and now everyone knows it. Let's see how "great" they are doing when questioned about that...

April 28, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  10. Tammy

Aren't delusion and denial grand? Thanks for the update. This gets more frightening yet interesting as it progresses. Unbelievable.

April 28, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  11. anne newfoundland, canada

Gary:
    After seeing so many of the FLDS ignoring you and walking away from you when you tired to talk to them,it is interesting to see that they NOW are so talkative,isn't it?
    I hope we get to see some of those men come forward for a change,and hope they agree at some point to say something public.

Why are they not coming on camera?
    I hope you may have been lucky enough to get some of them to do so.

As for their "feeling great" comment,it is a shame some of those teenage girls cannot say the same,nor the children.

As you said,they march to their own drummer.....or are also in their own little worlds.

Thanks for sticking with this story.I am glad that finally,SOMEONE is willing to talk to you.

April 28, 2008 at 5:48 pm |