April 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/28/08

Breaking news tonight, there are no known deaths but powerful tornadoes have wiped out swaths of neighborhoods in eastern Virginia. More than 200 people have been injured and that number could rise as rescue officials sort threw the wreckage. The twisters damaged scores of homes, stores and cars and downed dozens of trees and power lines.  Chad Meyers, our severe weather expert, will have the latest details and Anderson will have an interview with an eyewitness.

And the political storm.   Sen. Barack Obama’s former pastor was out in full force today.  Speaking before the National Press Club Rev. Jeremiah Wright wanted to give insight into the black church and clarify some of his remarks that have sparked a media storm.  The result was a fiery speech in which he slammed the media, praised Louis Farrakhan and joked about being vice president.  Anderson will dissect his statements and weigh their impact on Obama with the best political team in television.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. georgia

Prayers go up for the families in Va. in rebuilding their lives.
    Prayer for all of us in the rebuilding of our great country.Just as the families in Va. must do , get rid of what is rottened by the storm and begin anew w / a trusty foundation, so must all of america in the restructure of our nation.
    In re: to the Rev. Wright smoke screen, I did not hear one politician or journalist suggest that anyone should abandon the Catholic church knowing of the reprehensible & forever damaging crimes against children by some of it's leaders. The selective double standard needs to stop. United we stand , Divided we (will continue to ) fall. It's very clear for those who are not afraid to see. God Bless America !

April 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Brian, Boston

How Bias is this Roland.... You almost have to have at least a quasi obama positive statements to get posted here. Let's face it Hillary is the answer for the Dems.

April 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Alice

If Obama comes out fighting than the media will say he is Rev Wrights twin

April 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

Everyone wants the media to talk about the issues, but the two Democratic candidates' position on the issues are almost identical. It is Wright's fault that he keeps putting himself out there and Obama's fault for not coming forward more forcefully.

April 28, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Mike from Syracuse NY

Gergen is right. This issue is nothing compared to the problems the president has to deal with. If obama can't handle this heat, God help us if he becomes President.

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. kathy in ohio

betty

i agree with all of your comments i just hope that people dont believe him when he says all black churches. i thought we have been doing pretty good in my life time i am 45

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Kay J.

Anderson -

If the comments on this blog are anything to go by, America is sick of hearing about Wright. Can you please bring *that* issue up? :/

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Tammy

Obama is coming off as a royal wimp right now. He's wussing out on this issue. If he can't handle his pastor, how is he going to handle the likes of some of the world leaders out there? Just a thought....

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Dee

Hi Anderson,
    Rev. Wright does not speak for all of the African American churches. I am a proud African American Presbyterian and I rebuke Mr. Wright’s comments. Rev Wright is making noise only for his self gratifications. The more the media plays on this, the more you are playing into Rev Wright’s hand.

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

good night Sunae....... 🙂

April 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Bonnie

Why doesn't Obama hire Gergen to be on his election team?

April 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Paul Holmes

Mr. Cooper - Could you explain what you mean when you declare on air that the Rev. Wright's comments will help "us" learn more about black churches in America? Who are the "us" you purport to inform? Consider, if you would, the implications of the statement you made.

April 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. karin dicker

I so don't get this. I am 60 white and a non religious Jewish woman in los angeles. Rev. Wrights comments did not offend me at all and I understand them. Am I the only one in the world that did? I am an Obama supporter. What is the big deal??

April 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. sarah B....Durham,NC

Hello Anderson...n crew.....i think the Obama campaign better come up with a tactic to distract the focus on Rvd. Wright!!~ Most ppl here in NC (urbanized setting) were strong supporters of Obama, this Wright coverage day in and out is becoming Ridiculous!!~~ and Hillary is backed by Governor Easley, will NC pull around to be a Democratic State??>> hmmmm....

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Sebastien

BTW – I thought this guy retired. I guess not, changed his mind.

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Eric

As an African American I am continually fustrated with the black race being painted with a monolithic voice. I attend a predominantly black church and I can assure you that Rev. Wright does not represent the black church. He represents one and only one black church.

Eric

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  17. mona

@ Kathy in Ohio,
    I do not know where u heard those comments. I remember the same question presented to him and his answer was " I have not talked him, he is on cruise trip out of the country and he reiterated that he was sure he would talk to him when he gets back to the country"

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Nelson

Anderson – keep te debate going....love the panel – – actually think this is helping Oboma by showing his old Rev as a fruitcake at this point in his life

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

How about some air time for John McCain and less on Wright. One is running for President of the USA and one is not!

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Brandi down the bayou.

As my screen name indicates, I live in southern Louisiana.

I have lived in California and Oklahoma as well. So I have experienced earthquakes, and numerous tornados, and even more hurricanes. I must say, I would rather sit through a hurricane than the other two choices anyday.

Sorry for all that were effected by the tornado. God bless.

April 28, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Morgan

Once again what does this have to do with the election?

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Pam, Detroit, Michigan

Obama for President. Let's move on and get it Wright!

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Cynthia

Michel in Lafayette I hope that your are right in your assessment. I'm tired of all of it. We need to be talking about the issues that are important to the American people.

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Terri

Love that even John McCain doesn't pin Rev. Wright on Obama...almost makes me like him.

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Phil Diaz

If we were to follow the same logic that some seem to suggest, we would all have to distance ourselves from friends and family every time they say something that is not mainstream!

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Fay, CA

The one positive thing that has come out of the Obama/Wright controversy is that more people are having a discussion about race and how it affects nearly every aspect in society.

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Tim in Arkansas

You are giving the election to John McCain!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Dawn

Hmmm, is it just me or is the Hannah Montana story looking pretty refreshing right now??!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

Goodnight all time to go to the Huffington Post. Have a very good night all.

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, Ohio

@JP: Wright defended Farrakhan during the Moyers interview and during the Q&A this morning. He excused Farrakhan's racism because he helps Black kids. I wonder if the would feel the same about David Dukes if he helped White kids.

April 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Betty

I am a black woman and I have a good and loving church. Reverend Wright does not represent black churches, He should stop saying that.He is reveling in all this unexpected attention and publicity.

I believe that you can listen to all kinds of speech and not believe what
    others are saying. Reverend wright is extreme, not mainstream.
    He seems to be angry at Senator Obama My Pastor does not preach like
    Reverend Wright, and I think that people should judge Senator Obama
    by Reverend wright. All black churches are not the same.

Reverend Wright is not defending black churches, he is all about himself, and he does not care about the damage he is doing to the black people in this country. what a shame.

April 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. xtina, chicago IL

wright IS free to preach. but the voters are free to choose based on whatever reason they have to vote for someone

April 28, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Nelson

Anderson – great job on the show tonight showing a deeper look into the religion. Wish Rev Wright would disapear...but your coverage is the best i've seen so far. Keep it up!

April 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Chuck in Alabama

Think globally, act locally.

There has been a surge in African American registration and voting. Seems some of the change these pastors keep espousing could have been effected long ago.

April 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Michael in Lafayette, IN

I don't think the Wright story will have longevity. We shall all be so tired of the man long before summer. I'm tired of him already.

April 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Trent, I agree it is not unpatriotic to criticize our government, but for a Pastor to tell his congregation that "America's chickens are coming home to roost" on the Sunday right after 9-11 – that's just hateful and hurtful –

April 28, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Elisa nyc

"Hannah" or technically miley (hannah is miley with a blond wig) was fully covered and wearing pants when she was photographed. it might have been a bad idea but really shouldn't her parents have been like "we don't think our 15 yr old should be photographed in a sheet." they are partically to blame, she's only a child

April 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

Rev. Wright is speaking for himself and the Church, not Barack Obama. He was here long before Brack Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Oh the book deal...Why am I not surprised.

April 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  40. CaseyJPS, CA

Lynn-Thank you for making me laugh! I need that right now!

April 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Kathy, Florida

Roland Martin...................I think you are great. I love to listen to your comments.

April 28, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Patty

Miley's parents are at fault for those pictures of their under age child.
    Not Annie Leibovitz or Miley herself. What they should have said was

'no way, not at her age!"

April 28, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Bonnie

In a perfect world-these comments would not hurt Obama–but we all know this is not a perfect world - Rev. Wright's words will be held against him.

April 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Angel M,
    Me too. I love Hannah Montana too, I agree with you.

April 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think preachers are free to preach, and we are free not to listen or follow every word. It's a choice.

April 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  46. JP

Comparing Rev Wright to Jesus and Dr. King??!! Give me a break!! Look, if Barack doesnt denounce Rev Wright and Rev Wright wont denounce Farrakan than what does that say about Obama?

April 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  47. deborah,OH

@Yvonne-thank you...have had my laugh for the day. Anderson & Erica, aren't you just a little bit tired of talking about the Rev.????

April 28, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Julliet

I don't think Rev Wright speaks for all black churches. I hope you guys make that clear.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Jean

Hi..I think Obama needs to speak up and respond to Rev. Wrights comments. Rev. Wright seems to be angry at Obama for his distancing himself from Rev. Wright. Wright seems to be damaging Obama.. Is that the work of a Christian? It makes no sense! It is another selfish, self centered narciasist. Does he speak for All the black church leaders? Our country is in deep trouble, and we give heed to more division.Obama has to speak or it is over for him in this race.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Michelle Banks

I agree with you Jim, but Obama has already expressed those sentiments, hasn't he? Does he need to do that again?

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |