April 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/28/08

Breaking news tonight, there are no known deaths but powerful tornadoes have wiped out swaths of neighborhoods in eastern Virginia. More than 200 people have been injured and that number could rise as rescue officials sort threw the wreckage. The twisters damaged scores of homes, stores and cars and downed dozens of trees and power lines.  Chad Meyers, our severe weather expert, will have the latest details and Anderson will have an interview with an eyewitness.

And the political storm.   Sen. Barack Obama’s former pastor was out in full force today.  Speaking before the National Press Club Rev. Jeremiah Wright wanted to give insight into the black church and clarify some of his remarks that have sparked a media storm.  The result was a fiery speech in which he slammed the media, praised Louis Farrakhan and joked about being vice president.  Anderson will dissect his statements and weigh their impact on Obama with the best political team in television.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David

By the way, Jesus stood out as a sore thumb, because he told the truth to the oppressive establishment.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Susan, Des Moines

Who cares what Rev. Wright says, wasn't this country founded on religious freedoms? Condeming Barak Obama b/c of Rev. Wright's comments makes about as much sense to condeming any member of a Catholic parish where the priest molested children. Just because it's your parrish, that does not make the individual parrish member responsible for the actions of the priest or in this case, the reverend.

Enough, move on to some real issues. . .please. And David is right, Wright is a complete narcissist!

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  3. trent

It's clear that Rev. Wright's views are extremists, divisive, and counter-productive. But its even sadder that complete opposition and dismissal of all his comments are rooted in the blind-patriotism that says America is beyond reproach, and every thing she does is right.
    If any of you re-call this same "blind-patriotism" got us into Iraq.
    It may be hard for many to believe, but there are people in this world that do not see everything America does as perfect and without reproach; there are some victims of American "policy".
    Rev. Wright is extremist, but take his views with a grain of salt, America DOES get some things wrong.
    And a GREAT President recognizes this truth.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  4. lynn

I kind of think of Rev Wright as the Lou Dobbs of preachering.. Ieverytime I watch either of them the comparison hits me...

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Kelly, Austin, TX

John Mathis...Rvd Wright attended a prayer session that included many pastors of many denominations and was one of many such prayer sessions held in the White House by many Presidents. He wasnt Bill Clinton's "mentor" or "counselor"

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Claire

So glad to hear you say that about Annie Lebowitz, Anderson! She's really the best and I was really surprised to hear Miley Cyrus say she was embarrassed by the pictures now. Her parents or her could have vetoed the pictures at the time she was taking them.

April 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Saera El Paso, TX

there goes another disney kid...
    *sigh*
    i'm 15
    never taken a picyure like that.

April 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Tammy

Hannah Montana's pic isn't going to affect the little girls who listen and watch. My nieces do at ages 4 and 6. Vanity Fair isn't part of the nighttime reading ritual.

April 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Angel Manners

Thank you, finally, hannah montana coverage!

April 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica,
    I don't see Anderson picture...

April 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  11. EJ

Looking great again tonight Erica.

I can't believe that little girl Cyrus is making all that money – and for what? She makes more than you and Anderson!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Kay J.

"...who saw a twister from Wrigh– right in front of her."

Hahahaha. Ahhh.

April 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Kim

Last I knew, there was freedom of speech in this country. I'm offended by the comments that Barack and Michelle have no class, and that people from other countries believe they know what's right for us. Yet I would never want to stop the discussions. So since everyone seems to continue to talk about Rev Wright, then lets get to real substance of his sermons, speeches and interviews that Americans haven't always treated others (even their own) fairly & that we have to get to the point of accepting peoples differences as different, not wrong, not ignorant, just different. Then we could begin making real progress in this country.

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Jerry Baughman

The Rev. Wright is wrong, and Barack Obama is getting what he deserves. Obama had to have known how caustic Wright can be. No one can spend 20 years as a church member with a pastor and not know the tenor of the pastor's messages. Wright makes some good points, that his comments are biblically sound or the words of others. But many of these words are inflammatory to mainstream America. Wright is entitled to use these words. But Obama had the right and freedom to walk away. He chose not to while, though, while he was contemplating a run for the presidency. This has proven to be a bad choice. How many other bad choices has Obama made and how many more bad ones would he make if elected to the Oval Office. Obama is getting what he deserves.

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Julia Glennville, Ga.

Kathy in Ohio, Right, Right, Right, Obama lied straight out and said that the Rev. Was apologetic, yet we know fromt he Moyers interview that this was an outright lie. Why isn't Obama being called to account for that in the media big time?? This is an issue as this man is running for the highest office in this land.

I can believe that Virginia has no alarms. In this day and age it is a shame that all of america is not covered, But we don't have them here either.

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Judy

It is obvious that Rev. Wright loves publicity and he loves the platform that the major news networks have provided him. He knows that he is undermining Senator Obama's campaign and as David Gergen said on Anderson's panel, "what is his motive?" For the first time in American history we have a chance to elect someone of Obama's intellect and intellegence and if he loses he can only blame his so-called "spiritual mentor" who is now doing him the most harm.

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Genevieve M, TX

After hearing what Rev. Wright said, how can Obama (or anyone) be foolish enough to consider this guy (Wright) to be a friend?

This reminds me of the saying: "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Jim Ohio

David Gergen, you are correct.

Senator Obama, it is time to draw the line in the sand. You already have my vote. It is now time to firmly state your case. You (Senator Obama) cannot call Reverand Wright your pastor. Reverand Wright, intentioanlly or not, is speaking for you and putting words in your mouth. It is time to say, I cannot be affiliated with someone misrepresenting me, my beliefs, my faith and what I can do for America.

April 28, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Mike from Syracuse NY

I think a lot of obama's popularity at first was because no one knew him. Now as we get to see him in action, the paint job doesn't look so good from close up.

April 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Cynthia

The bible says judge ye not lest ye be judged. We don't need to judge Senator Obama based on Reverend Wright.

April 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Jolene

Fascinating panel discussion tonight! Some may think covering Jeremiah Wright is not relevant but I appreciate the coverage. The man is ruining Obama's chances for a presidency. I find this not only important but very interesting.

April 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Craig, Hawaii

Rev. Wright is an extreme that will be the "swift boat" of this election if Obama is indeed the Democratic candidate. The Republicans will not let this rest in the fall.

April 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Patty

If I were Barack O'bama, I would definately be disapointed in a mentor like Reverand Wright and start verbalizing it.

The idea that he's now hurting O'Bama with his rhetoric, and seems oblivious to the damage he's doing by continuing to speak out suggests he dosn't care about much except his own
    "15 minutes"

April 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Mike from Syracuse NY

@Scott. I agree! You can't spend 20 years in the pew and not hear a lot of this stuff. Obama's claim he never heard it 'requires a willing suspension of disbelief'.

April 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Obama should just keep his focus. I don't think he should have to be side-tracked daily by this Reverend's media events.

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Gwen from NJ

I am not following why the media is so fascinated with Rev. Wright. Can someone explain it?

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. AJ, Minneapolis

I love the contributions from Rowland Martin..thats my guy.

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  28. John Mathis

The press keeps asking Obama to explain Rev. Wright, but know one is asking Mr. McCain to explain Rev. Hagee. Know one has Ms. clinton to explain how Rev. Wright was her husbands counseler during their time of need or that her pastor in D.C. supports Rev. Wright

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Teresa, Kent, Ohio

@ Yvonne: Leave the old man alone. Move on.

Thanks for the laugh !!! : )

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Thanks Angela in Virginia.
    Thanks for up date news.
    Ed and Roland have good point...... we need back to issue.

April 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Benjamin in Columbus, OH

I'm turning to the NBA playoffs now. Please let me know when you start talking about gas prices, home-foreclosures, terrorism, the War in Iraq, healthcare and Social Security, and maybe I'll turn back.

April 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Claire

I'm sure Obama will really distance himself now. Rev. Wright did him no favors today, that's for sure.

April 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Krista, VA

I understand Rev. Wright wanting to speak out and defend himself, he has taken a personal hit in the media but if he supports Obama he should just "take one for the team".

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Amy, Philly, PA

Anderson
    It's really bothering me that you are all blaming Rev. Wright for hurting Obama, when it's obvious that you are the ones distorting his image. You don't have to do that you know.

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Kasha

Barack Obama DOES NOT EQUAL Rev. Wright.

Rev Wright has his own agenda, but it is not the agenda of Barack Obama.

For intelligent people who can tell the difference between the two, this will NOT hurt Obama.

Let us talk about the issues that matter: jobs, economy, Iraq, health care.

CNN and the rest of the media will feed on this like hyenas, at a time when the American people need to be focused on the issues that matter.

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Jacqueline

When President Clinton was running off at the mouth, people asked whether it is he who is running again for office or Hillary. So let me ask you this, is Rev. J. Wright running for office or Barack Obama?

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

I know the Obama campaign wishes they could make Rev. Wright have a lower profile – like they gave Michelle Obama a lower profile after she said that, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud to be an American." There is a narrative being created about Obama and since he is relatively unknown, it is having a cumulative effect.

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  38. xtina, chicago IL

rev wright is "wrighting " a book - he's gonna be all over the place !

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Scott in WV

Wright said it best when he said the Barack will say what he needs to say because he is running for office. I am still having a hard time believing that Barack does not believe a lot of what Wright says.. Why else would you stay in a church for 20 years otherwise. For once i would like to have a honest person running for office, one that just does not go around saying what you need to say for whatever state you might be in..

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Tammy

If my mentor and "friend" did this to me, I know I'd have to find a new mentor and "friend". This is just unreal. There is no way to distance yourself from a leech attached to your body when it's stuck on and sucking you dry.

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Sarah, Atlanta GA

I think it is ridiculous that so much time is being sepnt on Rev.Wright. Ther are far more pressing isssues. Besides everytime the media talks about Rev.Wright, it just feeds into it. I can only hope that one day Anderson will talk about the war or something equally as important on 360.

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Chuck in Alabama

It almost appears as if Wright is trying to be a "king maker." It's as if he has come to the decision that Obama is "just another politician" and now, unworthy of his blessings.

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Colette, New York

Wright is not running for office! Judge him when and if he decides to. He is representing himself, not Obama!

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Rose from Southern Calif

I am a Hillary supporter and this bothers me. I don't want Obama to lose because of this Man's words Pastor Wright or i would call him (Pastor Wrong).

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. verna

BO sat and listened to this man for 20 years..........,That says to me he had to agree with what the man was saying..I also think MO really took all his sermons to heart from the things she has said.

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Yvonne

Leave the old man alone. Move on.

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

YEAH to David Gergen and Roland Martin!

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  48. bee

I'm from NC, just voted early, and after hearing again from Wright & the lack of substantive response from Obama, I voted for the competitor, Clinton. I cannot support someone who cannot stand for the mainstream. Bee in NC

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  49. deborah,OH

I agree with kathy in ohio. The Rev. said he was going after Obama in the White House!!! What does that mean??

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Mike from Syracuse NY

Wright should stop and consider that in most of the world he could never say what he's said here. Vitually none of those places are in Africa!

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |