April 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/28/08

Breaking news tonight, there are no known deaths but powerful tornadoes have wiped out swaths of neighborhoods in eastern Virginia. More than 200 people have been injured and that number could rise as rescue officials sort threw the wreckage. The twisters damaged scores of homes, stores and cars and downed dozens of trees and power lines.  Chad Meyers, our severe weather expert, will have the latest details and Anderson will have an interview with an eyewitness.

And the political storm.   Sen. Barack Obama’s former pastor was out in full force today.  Speaking before the National Press Club Rev. Jeremiah Wright wanted to give insight into the black church and clarify some of his remarks that have sparked a media storm.  The result was a fiery speech in which he slammed the media, praised Louis Farrakhan and joked about being vice president.  Anderson will dissect his statements and weigh their impact on Obama with the best political team in television.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. sara. .minneapolis

David Gergen is telling it like it IS. I too can't believe the gall of Wright–he's arrogant and obviously only cares about himself and furthering his 15 minutes of fame...

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Terri - Wpg, Canada.

David Gergen is right! Wright is hurting more than helping.

He needs to go..far far away and go seek attention somewhere else than a tv camera.

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

No mincing words when it comes to David Gergen.....and that's why I love him

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Maureen T

Rev Wright has spoken enough. To assist Barack Obama he should now be seen and not heard.

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Carlton Greene

I am soooooooo sick of your coverage of Rev Wright. story. Please consider the tolerance level of your viewers. How do you determine when too much coverage drive viewers away. I am getting ready to switch channel for the 10th time since last night. CNN is doing more damage to itself than Wright is doing to Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Karen

If Rev. Wright wants to help Obama, he should probably end the speaking tour now. But, do we really think Wright's main objective in life is to help Obama win the presidency? I think he has his own agenda.

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Krista, VA

David Gergan just said it all!

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Teresa, Kent, Ohio

If Rev. Wright continues to speak out it SHOULD reflect on Obamas camp and here is why: Obama wrote a book on a SERMON and teachings the REV. gave. Obama considers Rev. Wright his SPIRITUAL counselor. After all, we are ALL but SPIRITUAL beings on the planet for a time.

Yes, they each speak for themselves... we all do.

Something SIMILIAR about Wright and Obama is: even after watching both of them for sooo long ... I STILL do not feel I have a grasp on either of their TRUE selves. scary.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Samatha

Anderson, in response to your question... I personally don't believe that Rev. Wright is in support of Obama, I think he is for himself regardless of the fallout that Obama may/maynot take from it....

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Bonnie

Well, i guess Barack is saying–with friends like Rev. Wright, who needs enemys??

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Jan

The man spent six years in the military, he can say anything he wants to. How many of you have given to your country? I wish you obama haters would say why you really don't like him.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Dee

The media is getting played; Rev. Wright is getting prime time coverage for free. He is promoting himself and his new book and nobody else. For those individuals who like to dig beneath the surface, we can clearly see that Rev. Wright and Obama have two different agendas and have diametrically opposing values. We need to see straight through this attempt to distract us from real issues, such as why I have to pay $3.70 per gallon for gas, nearly $4 for a gallon of milk, and a climbing mortgage payment. By the way can someone in the media tell me where my rebate check is. No coverage on the things that really matter!

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Lesli

I may not like what Wright has to say, but he has the Wright to say it.

I may not agree with the way he delivers his message and I feel he is really damaging Obama’s campaign, but I am learning somethings from what he is saying.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Genevieve M, TX

I wish the "Rev. Wright videos" came out before February, because then I would have known to write in "Cooper-Hill" on my ballot!

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Silsteen Mills

Mr. Wright's enthusiasm and antics are very similar to the preacher of my mother's church (Freewill Baptist). Some have expressed that they feel Mr. Wright appears very arrogant. Sometimes religious leaders do appear that way. I thought that about the African American clergyman that serves as a Republican political analyst for MSNBC. I don't recall his name. We have to remember however that people communicate in different ways and have different styles. If Mr. Wright was a soft spoken man perhaps what he said would have been easier to accept for amny. But obviously that is not his style is it?

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  16. corey

Rev. Wright said "what man has intended for evil, gods intends for good. I think his speaking out will bring race to the foefront and America and American are going to have serious conversations about past atrocities. Rev. Wright also said that America (government) has yet to even offer an apology to African Americans for slavery. How can you have true reconciliation without first admiting the wrong done to someone. We cannot go on thing that our brutal history didn't occur.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Lashell Love

I have believed in the words that Rev. Wright spoke since day one. His words are just that his words. People are looking for ways and in my opinion excuses not to vote for Sen. Obama. Those who are scheduled to vote on May 6th already know who will get their vote so please stop acting as if Rev. Wright speaking out will somehow influence those remaining votes. Many people who are upset are upset because they are guilty of some of the very things that Rev Wright speaks out about. Get over it and let us all move on.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Chuck in Alabama

My heart goes out to all those affected by the tornadoes. I live in the city where the 8 high school kids were killed last year. My best wishes to all of you.

April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Tony

Anderson,

There is nothing Barack Obama can do. Rev Wright has a right to defend himself. If what Rev Wright says persuades anyone not to vote for Barack Obama they should be ashamed of themselves... I don't understand how people can hold Barack accountable for Rev. Wright's opinions...

I have to say, after hearing Wright on PBS with Bill Moyer's and this morning... I think he's great! I admire his tenacity.

April 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Rex

In my opinion the issue isn’t that Rev. Wright's views represent Senator Obama's. The issue is how can someone not know their pastor's view after being a member of that church for over twenty years. Senator Obama’s saying that he had never heard those statements in the last twenty years seems very unbelievable to me. That fact alone makes me not trust or believe anything else he says.

April 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

The Rev Wright issue is important – not because of guilt by association but because of what one can infer about Obama himself. First, if someone is really interested in bringing people together, why would he join a Church that is clearly separatist in nature – also, first, Obama denied knowing his Pastor's position then denounces "some offensive statements" – even Rev. Wright is saying that Obama is just being a politician – saying what he needs to say to Americans to get elected – It's about honesty and integrity (having one's actions match his words) – these are character traits that Obama is claiming that qualify him to be Pres –do this is definitely an issue

April 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Frank

It is better for Obama that Wright is speaking now...this is the times that define a leader when you are tested and cannot get any sleep, that is when your mettle is tested.....if Obama comes out of Indiana with a 2-4 point loss I would count that as a victory in the heat of this battle

April 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Katie

Wright is definitely not doing Obama any favors right now, but he doesn't seem to care. He has his own agenda.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Renee

Anderson, you often make comments about folks seeing what they want to see and hearing what they want to hear. The Wright issue is no different. You can't change folks minds. They have to make up their own. If his language and mannerisms are acceptable, then he will prevail. If it is offense, then he gets tuned out.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Sarah Joy

It is a sad moment for America to see a Pastor's ego desecrate the foundations, minds and hope of the country who supports him financially.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Sebastien

Thanks Candy. Don't agree with the Obama Rev. Wright situation I think it has ruined him as far as a national election. He could have handled this so much better.

But we always love seeing and hearing your opinion.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  27. kathy in ohio

in one of obamas interviews shortly after easter he said that he talked to wright and that wright apoligized for the comments . What happened to that side of the story. I cant even keep track of all the back and forths with obama

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Tammy

I believe Wright needs to be quiet and get out of this. There's already enough guilt by association to last a campaign. He keeps saying the same things over and over. He adds nothing positive to Obama's campaign (unless you buy his ideology). And I find his screaming personally offensive. Bleh.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Kathy, Florida

I think all the news stations should distance themselves from Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

There is noway this should have anything to do with Obama.......

*looks for Erica*

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  30. maggiIte

Rev. Wright is Rev. Wrong, Latching on to his 15 minutes of fame with no shame and no class., , Its not about Jesus ok?, Its about the planet, its about an unfair war, its about the economy, its about making our way back into the world with dignity once again and Jesus has nothing to do with it, WE do!!, this guy has got to go...to me he is as important to solving the problems of African Americans as Britney Spears or Paris Hilton.

Dear God Help us all, this crap is going to put another republican in the White House.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. xtina, chicago IL

Obama/ Wright are actually making Hillary look good to me – and that 's a miracle !

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Angela, Chesapeake, Virginia

Carrie, Asheville, RE:

We don't have a tornado warning system. We RARELY have them. Hurricanes usually. The tv tells you after the fact, or the standard Emergency Broadcasting System via radio or tv.

We had to watch the skies. NOT that reliable since tornados can be quite invisible until they gather debris.

BTW...Suffolk, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Virginia Beach are all so close it is like one big city.

The guys on the Navy ships saw a water spout coming at the ship, and then over the bridge where it blew out windows of cars and spun a truck around...thankfully not off the bridge.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Stanford

America should try to look and listen more to Obama and not Rev. Wright

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Carly,AL

Anderson

i think Rev Wright should just Shut Up and let Obama clean up what mess that the Rev has made of all this Stuff.....i mean Obama kinda had the whole thing shiped away then BAM he wants to talk more......his 15 minutes are over...well at least i think they should be!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Georgia

Rev. Wright has a lot of hatred in his voice and body language. Obama doesn't need this kind of press so late in the campaign. And speaking of the press, why can't we focus on the real issues like jobs, price of gas, and family issues?

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Susie

Rev. Jeremiah Wright should not be judged or condemed by sound bytes. I do not support Obama, however, I am open to hear the entire words of Rev. Jeremiah Wright. My opinion is based on watching 360 coverage tonight.

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. ericacnn

Hi, everyone.

Angela in Chesapeake, I'm glad to hear you are OK. The tornadoes are terrible - I worry about the damage pictures to come.

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Jolene

Anderson: Rev. Wright speaking out is not helping Obama. If he wanted to speak out, he should have done it when the soundbites were first aired. Vacation or no vacation.

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, I think Rev. Wright should not continue his speaking tour. I don't think he is going to help Obama at all.

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Kay J.

Can we PLEASE forget Jeremiah Wright? Yes, he's there, he's responding to all of this attention, but is it REALLY necessary for the media to cover it? Let it die, please. It's immensely absurd. Wright is simply begging for attention. Please report on the aspects of this campaign that are important. I want to hear about the candidates, not the candidates' pastors, for god's sake (no pun intended).

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Yvonne

We cannot put Rev. Wright under Mouth Arrest. This is a free country. He has to be free to continue to preach. Only countries under oppressive governments prevent people from speaking truth to power. What's going on?

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Shane, Kentucky

Rev. Wright appears to be an intelligent, thought provoking, motivator. I don't think people should equate Wright and Obama as if they were joined at the hip.

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. kathy in ohio

What bothers me is wright said , that obama said what he had to say to get elected, and on nov5th he coming after obama at the white house,

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Jessica

Barack has been extremely professional and charismatic in response to Rev. Wright's latest comments. The Reverend's speeches have unfairly attacked Barack, yet Barack has remained dignified and has not "played the dozens" against Wright, even though he had sure grounds to do so.

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  45. diane

if this rev.wright thing was known before feb. 5 . obama would not be ahead

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  46. EJ

AC,

"Do you think Rev. Wright should continue to speak out.. or if he wants to help Barack Obama should he discontinue his speaking tour?"

Well it is obvious to me that Rev. Wright is not going to let anyone tell him what to do. He's free to say whatever he wants and the Obama camp understands that.

I do wonder why he picked this week to come forward in such a way.

Perhaps if Wright speaks enough, people will tire of him so he doesn't stir up such a media frenzy anytime he speaks. (boy that will be a long time from now huh).

I do think this will have an effect on the Indiana results.

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Judi Smith

I am not voteing for Obama yet I almost feel sad for him, Rev. Wright will cost him the election I have no doubt that Hillary will be our next great president. The best thing that the Rev. can do is shut up and sit down!

April 28, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Angel Manners

I think Rev. Wright is keeping the pot stirred, which could only damage Barack's campaign.

April 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Claire

I have read his whole speeches and I do believe Rev. Wright was taken out of context, however, I think what bothers me most is the tone he uses when he preaches. He sounds angry most of the time and I do believe he seems to have issues with whites (not that it's unjustifiable in some cases.). Its hard for me to relate to him, I guess, but I really don't think he's a bad person nor the monster that some have made him out to be.

April 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Mike from Syracuse NY

Anderson, if he wants to help Obama he should rent a cabin in Alaska without phone or cell service and hunt moose until November.

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |