April 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/28/08

Breaking news tonight, there are no known deaths but powerful tornadoes have wiped out swaths of neighborhoods in eastern Virginia. More than 200 people have been injured and that number could rise as rescue officials sort threw the wreckage. The twisters damaged scores of homes, stores and cars and downed dozens of trees and power lines.  Chad Meyers, our severe weather expert, will have the latest details and Anderson will have an interview with an eyewitness.

And the political storm.   Sen. Barack Obama’s former pastor was out in full force today.  Speaking before the National Press Club Rev. Jeremiah Wright wanted to give insight into the black church and clarify some of his remarks that have sparked a media storm.  The result was a fiery speech in which he slammed the media, praised Louis Farrakhan and joked about being vice president.  Anderson will dissect his statements and weigh their impact on Obama with the best political team in television.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CaseyJPS, CA

COllette-At this point it doesn't matter what Rev Wirght says, he's just making the "debate" worse. Just about everything he says is interpreted as negative, one way or another, one news source or another.

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. xtina, chicago IL

ug, wright reminds me of someone with whom you argue who is NEVER WRONG. he makes me tired listening to him

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. rupa

the more i listen to Rev Wright, the more I am becoming his fan.....He is so passionate n his feelings that touches me....
    wish to know what Anderson thinks about him....

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Christina, Notre Dame, IN

For me personally, I like Barack Obama MORE because of his relationship with such an intelligent, multi-dimensional, and HONEST man as Reverend Wright. Thanks, 360, for playing longer segments of his speeches from the weekend and this morning.

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Terri

Anderson, he needs to be quiet.
    Esp with that joke that he wants to be VP..people will take that seriously!!

He really needs to shut up...and let the POLITICIANS do the talking, not anyone else. Plus, we're tired of seeing him...so him going away would do wonders, for the campaign AND for my sanity!

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Holly

Rev. Wright should probably just disappear if he wants to help

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Tracey - Boston

We need to hear all sides of the story thus the 360º

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. diane

obama is done

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Lisette Chicago, IL

@ KELLY
    I must correct you Obama never called the rev his spiritual advisor
    in fact he has corrected people who have said that to him
    Obama says the Revis his Minister only
    And who among us even give a 2nd thought to what our Ministers think

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

After his two speeches, I think Rev. Wright has answered enough question and should now step aside

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Anderson
    I agree with Maureen T.

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Stacy

More Reverend Wright. Can someone please let me know when the focus is on something that actually matters?

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Chuck in Alabama

I have no concern about Rev Wright and his "sermons." My concern is the link between him, his ideology, and the man that may be president.

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Rose from Southern Calif

The only thing that i could say for Obama is detach himself from this man who hates everyone and everybody. What do you except from somebody who likes Louis Farrakhan.

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  15. dan in bama

Did I just hear that right? The Rev Wright basically just said that Obama will say anything people want to hear to get elected – whether or not he believes it to be true – even though it may mean sacrificing a 20 year pastor/mentor relationship????

April 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Michael in Lafayette, IN

I think that the more we see and hear from Rev. Wright, the easier it will be for Sen. Obama to separate himself from this self-centered, annoying person. Rev. Wright, no I have not seen your entire sermon. Why would I subject myself to more than the few minutes I have already endured.

April 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  17. CaseyJPS, CA

Wright is grandstanding and letting his ego take over. There's nothing redeeming, healing, or empowering I've heard yet. Being rude and insincere is inappropriate, at best.

April 28, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Chuck in Alabama

Liberation from what? All citizens of this country have been able to register and vote unimpeded for the last 40+ years. Why haven't these same people calling for "liberation" been voting for change all along?

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  19. anderson cooper

Do you think Rev. Wright should continue to speak out.. or if he wants to help Barack Obama should he discontinue his speaking tour?

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Sharon Klaus

This seems very simple to me. If you (the media) stop making it about Rev. Wright and focus on your two canidates and the topics the we do care about you would be helping us make a fair and just decisions. I am Catholic and I don't always agree with our priests but our church is a community it is more than one priet or one sermon. I don't think the media is doing it's best job right now.

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Krista, VA

I am not sure that playing anymore of Rev. Wright speeches creates anymore understanding, context is not too much help. I heard both of his speech and Q & A at the Press Club and although he has a number of good points, presenting his beliefs in such a condescending and dismissive manner of those around him and those asking the questions does not bolster his points or provide him with any credibility. His 15 min should be up.

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Rose from Southern Calif: I wonder how Caroline and "Uncle Teddy" appreciated it when Wright mocked JFK?

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Lesli

Last night I heard Wright and the pastor who introduced him speak. I listened to a minister scream hell fire and damnation to me as a child and I have vowed to never to listen this kind of preaching again, so I turned it off.

Over the past few days I have also heard him speak as a very caring and loving man, but it sure doesn't come across in his sermons.

I like the way he is speaking on the clips now. Can't he speak this way and not offend people with his yelling and screaming. It fees offensive and confrontaional, when he preaches this way.

April 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Alma Sheykhani Fairfield, Ca

Hey Anderson,

Pastor Wright is a breath of fresh air. What he says does not offend me at all. I like his personality, and his message. Even though I am not a christian, I respect him as a pastor. The media takes things out of context, and way out of proportion. This doesnt change my views on Obama. He is still my candidate. Good to see you back Anderson.

April 28, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Tess

Am I alone in liking Rev. Wright? I think he's great.

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

@ Teresa -- I believe Rev. Wright was retiring before any of this stuff hit the fan

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Carrie, Asheville, NC

Anderson,

What sort of tornado warning system do they have in the Suffolk area? When I lived in the midwest we had sirens on top of all city and county buildings (including schools). Here in Western North Carolina, we have NOTHING but the little scroll on the TV set.

Given the increasing frequency of tornadoes in areas that rarely had them in the past, do we need more extensive warning systems throughout the country?

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Elisa nyc

my heart goes out to those injured virginians.
    Also as for freedom of speech, that only protects a person from the gov't prosecution, not public opinion. i do feel bad for obama, because he probably doesn't believe everytihng everybody he knows thinks (really who does) but if it's going to keep him from getting elected as president i think the delegates need to consider that. The best thing Wright can do is keep quiet.
    BTW, Anderson where's your pic tonight?

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Chuck in Alabama

He just characterized Obama as "just another politician."

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

@Kimberly do you know the Obama's personally? Don't talk about Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson unless you know their works.

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Fay, CA

Are we going to have to hear every word Reverend Wright says throughout this entire campaign? He is not running for president.

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  32. jes

Hi Anderson, Sad day for the people in Virginia!! Please ask you your panel of experts to comment on Rev. Wrights statement that Black children learn with the opposite side of the brain than White children. Is this true? What if a child has a Black Mother & a White father or a child has a Asian mother and a Black father etc.?

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Renee

Husband thinks Wright it trying to "due in" Obama. Does anyone else think that?

April 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  34. lynn

The media is making the big deal about this. the man is learned, was a marine and has a point of view. I am a white 59 year old woman and I believe there is some white racists sentiment being expressed in the "outrage" of Wright's comments.

We did go to war under false pretenses and millions of Iraqis' lives have bee impacted. We should be held accountable for that.

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Maureen T

Dear Anderson,

enough with Rev Wright. There is so much more to the news today...

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Anderson, is it really necessary to devote so much time to Rev.Wright??? I think there are more pressing issues going on. What about the war??? It seems like you have forgot all about it. You used to talk about it on the program and now you don't.

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I find it difficult to judge someone's class based on the comments of another person. That is very judgemental

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Kelly, Austin, TX

Soledad, Senator Obama himself called Rvd Wright his "spiritual advisor". I think Rvd. Wright IS angry that Obama is now trying to distance himself after 20 years of advising him. Obama also said he never made an important decision, including political, without consulting with Rvd Wright first. In Rvd. Wright's own words, Obama is a politician and will say what he needs to say and Rvd Wright is a bit peeved that he feels he has now been "thrown under the bus" too.

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  39. DAnne

"Senator Clinton just got the nomination handed to her on a plate,"
    Oh, please. Spare me.

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Rose from Southern Calif

Tony-Where you listening to the same speech? Pastor Wright slammmed John Kennedy, if he hate america that much why does he move to another country?

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  41. Will Sky

You are saturating us with this Rev. Wright issue. Surely, there are more important items in the news, ie.. Darfur, gasoline prices, Supreme Court etc.. Why must CNN sensationalize? Am also dissappointed in Gloria Borger's CNN Election Coverage. Up until today, her show was the least theatrical, but tonight she was just trying to create controversy instead of moderating conversation.

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  42. Sheryl

Yes Lesli – I think that Rev. Right is doing what he needs to do. I think that he believe that as a pastor he has a message and he certainly has an audience now. And I really think he has done a lot for a lot of people, but right now, he does not see the only member of his audience be Obama. And I guess that he has this right. I actually think that the relationship between Obama and Wright is strained, and each is taking their own path.

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Carly,AL

i think if Rev Wright knew what was good for his pal Obama he would have stayed on vacation after his first comments came to surface!!!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Cindy C

Why would the reverend hurt Obama on purpose? Does anyone know if he was getting pressured to come out and talk at this point in the campaign?

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Terri

I think this situation with Rev Wright has gone so far that people will start to separate him from Obama. He's a lunatic and that does not reflect on Obama in my view.

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  46. deborah,OH

good evening anderson, erica, & all you great bloggers...looks like a good show tonight....my heart goes out to the people in va.

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Angela, Chesapeake, Virginia

Hi there,

We have a confirmed death. A woman. 200 people are hospitalized, some critical. It is a mess...houses are gone, cars are piled.

We have power, thank God. It was scary.

Just an update...

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  48. xtina, chicago IL

I DO NOT WANT TO listen for four years to Rev Wright if he hangs around the White House

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Chuck in Alabama

HMMMM, Wright needs to lay off the caffeine drinks!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Tony

I think Rev. Wright is doing the right thing... He has been attacked by the corporate media, and the cristian republican right

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |