April 28th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/28/08

Breaking news tonight, there are no known deaths but powerful tornadoes have wiped out swaths of neighborhoods in eastern Virginia. More than 200 people have been injured and that number could rise as rescue officials sort threw the wreckage. The twisters damaged scores of homes, stores and cars and downed dozens of trees and power lines.  Chad Meyers, our severe weather expert, will have the latest details and Anderson will have an interview with an eyewitness.

And the political storm.   Sen. Barack Obama’s former pastor was out in full force today.  Speaking before the National Press Club Rev. Jeremiah Wright wanted to give insight into the black church and clarify some of his remarks that have sparked a media storm.  The result was a fiery speech in which he slammed the media, praised Louis Farrakhan and joked about being vice president.  Anderson will dissect his statements and weigh their impact on Obama with the best political team in television.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kathy, Florida

Good Evening Anderson!!!
    Rev. Jeremiah Wright has had enough airtime........there are so many things important these days to have him in the news all day.
    Gas Prices
    Health Care
    Economy
    and the list goes on and on................

What about those people in Virgina that have been injured and their homes destroyed, that is news. Please enough of Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Julliet

Good evening folks, My thought and prayers goes to the victims of the tornado. As for the Rev. Wright I think he has a sinister reason for all he is doing. He is probably jealous of Obama getting all the attention and he wants to derail his presidential bid.

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Teresa, Kent, Ohio

Ahhh, Rev. Wright again... If the Rev. didnt think his speech was offensive or hurt anyone ( Obama) why did he "retire" as pastor? Was he planning on retiring anyway?

I'm wondering if any negative media is still GOOD media?

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

So, do I really have to sit through an hour of the arrogant ramblings of this man Wright?
    I don't see how he or what he has to say is important. CNN pays a ridiculous amount of attention to this pastor. He is not important! I think I'm gonna continue my dvd marathon of "24" !

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Amy, Philly, PA

Anderson,
    If you reported this fairly he wouldn't be doing any damage to Obama's campaign. I thought his NAACP did show how interested he was in unity and how hopeful he was about the future. So if his appearances could get rid of the faulty image of him it wouldn't be bad for Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

But his statements about the College Bands are true.

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Dawn

Rev. Wright is very ..."passionate" isn't he? I was open minded all throughout this but now having seen him speak in person I have to say he's turning a lot of people against Mr. Obama. It's a shame because Wright is not a part of Obama's campaign but his actions are hurting his candidate.

I had a good weekend but an even better Monday. We got our tax rebate today, lucky enough to have a social security number ending in the low digits!! Thanks GW!!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  8. CaseyJPS, CA

xtina-I think there's a difference between those you know at your church, at work,etc., and those who you actually take time to share life and socialize with...

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  9. xtina, chicago IL

does anyone think that there actually are people who may be offended by wright's imitation of Kennedy's accent? Or are only minorities allowed to be offended?

April 28, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Jolene

@ Terri: I agree. At least in Soledad's report, he comes off as being arrogant big time.

April 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Colette, New York

You may not like Rev. Wright's tone. However, what is he saying that's not true? Many things that were said were direct quotes of others. He has a right to defend himself. Why does Sen. Obama have to answer for someone else's comments or behavior?

April 28, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Kimberly

I was not impressed with Reverend Wright's statements. (TRASHY!)What are we going to do about Obama? He clearly can not win the presidential nomination. What are the super delegates thinking?? What if... What if...Obama was elected? Do you guys want to see Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson everyday in and around the white house? What about class... Barrack and Michelle Obama have NO class... Is this the family we want in the white house?

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  13. Fay, CA

I'm more interested in what Obama has to say than Reverend Wright.

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  14. EJ

Hey there's Soledad – She's supposed to be in my city tomorrow giving a wonderful speech.

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

Rev. Wright has a right to defend himself. Why does everybody keep dumping him on Barack Obama? In this Country don't we have freedom of speech?

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  16. xtina, chicago IL

does anyone think these "super delegates" will consider the image Rev Wright may reflect onto an Obama nomination. just askin'

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Terri

He seems crazy too...

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I commend CNN for playing the full Rev. Wright comments. it is important to get things in context.

Rev. Wright preaches like many of the evangelical preachers I have heard over the years in both black and white churches

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I watched all of Rev Wright's speech. I can't say hearing it all really helped me understand him more.

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Sheryl

Actually I was quite impressed with Rev. Wright. He is a very well-educated and interesting man – and VERY different. But what is wrong with that. I learned a lot from listening to him – both from a religious perspective and also as an educator I was very impressed by his ability to keep the attention of his audience. His message – why is there so much fear of his message???

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Holly

I think Obama's speech on race said it all...what more can he do? Let the Rev. Wright issue die!

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. EJ

That part (from Rev. Wright) about the college bands differences was funny though. Cute.

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Maureen T

Good evening folks!...Is it me or is it time for Rev Wright to "dummy up" until after November as Archie Bunker would say?

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Yvonne

I find the invasion of the media into Rev. Wright�s life and ministry is bordering on illegal and in violation of civil rights. The church you go to should have nothing to do with running for President. Are we going to follow Rev. Wright to all his speaking engagements from now on? Is he on mouth arrest? My only conclusion of this whole episode is that God wanted to get the truth out through His messenger. God�s will be done.

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Genevieve M, TX

He went from preacher to comedian??

*sigh* Let me know when Rev Wright's "15 minutes" are over, will ya?

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Lesli

Does anyone else think Wright is angry at Obama's disavowing his sermons. Perhaps Wright feels that Obama should have done more to stand up for his relationship to the church rather than trying to distance himself from Wright. Wright seems to be doing everything he can to make sure Obama is not elected.

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Zing-Zing, Canada

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if Obama has any influence over what Rev. Wright is saying?

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  28. xtina, chicago IL

Rev wright may not define the campaign, but many people believe you're known by the company you keep

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Tony

I watched the Rev. Wright interview with Bill Moyer's and his speech to the National Press Club...I really like Rev. Wright and what he had to say.

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Carla Ontario Canada

Hi AC, never a dull moment eh?
    I think Rev.Wright resurfacing is going to hurt Obama enough though the comments dont come from Obama. Obama's star power is being tarnished by these characters around him. His hope/change message is getting tired.
    Hillary is a stronger candidate and has had to prove herself now and over the years. Love her or hate her you have to give her credit for toughing it out when the chips were down.
    Is there going to be a solution for FL/MI ? Weren't there other states that moved up primary but not penalized?
    I also think Hillary can beat Mccain on the issues, she knows her stuff. IMO

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Rose from Southern Calif

Hi Anderson...What a night of news, Obama's pastor shooting his mouth again. I feel sorry for Obama at this moment.

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Pamina

I wonder how many other spiritual advisors of past candidates have made controversial statements and how those statements impacted the candidate?

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Terri

Rev. Wright seems very arrogant...

April 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. EJ

Pres. Clinton had Bimbo eruptions? Oh my – I've never heard that. lol

April 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. CaseyJPS, CA

"Bimbo erruptions?" Who wrote that?

April 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Sue , Auckland, New Zealand

It is time Obama 'disown' that Reverend, whatever his name is ! I think Obama has lost his nomination. What a shame ! hilary Clinton just got the nomination handed to her on a plate.

April 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Tim

How can the Clinton campaign ignore how Rev. Wright will affect them if they make the general election? Are they listening to Rev. Wright? An Obama loss and a great number of African Americans will feel that the Democratic Party does not share their interest and will not receive their vote. Save the party Democrats.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Justin

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were injured and their friends and family members.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Pamina

I will be interested to hear the unedited version of Rev. Wright's comments. I wonder how many other spiritual advisors of past candidates have said controversial things? It seems like people are blaming Sen. Obama for another man's thoughts- not what he has said.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. mona

Hey everyone,
    I'm sitting on needles right now, Rev Wright please promote your book in November.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

Hi Anderson, Erica, and Bloggers!
    I have good weekend! Thanks Anderson..............
    Wow! that is so bad damage over the places! I heard tornadoes coming now! Please pray for Virginia people........

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. AJ, Minneapolis

Good Evening, Anderson, Erica, & Bloggers, Happy Monday, Sounds like a good show tonight.

April 28, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Paolo

Hi Anderson,

In Obama's defence, he is right. Wright doesn't speak for his campaign.

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  44. Terri

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers...

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  45. CaseyJPS, CA

Can someone tell me what happens with those "YOUR VOICE" comments on the web cam site?

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Jolene

Hi Anderson: I'm glad you are going to show longer versions of Jeremiah Wright's speech. Thanks for not showing soundbites, especially for those of us who didn't catch it.

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Monday evening..My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the tornado. We all just never know, when we'll be a victim of Mother Nature's force.

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. CaseyJPS, CA

Life=Fun! Greetings from America's Desert Playground!

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Saera El Paso, TX

hello everyone!

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

good evening everyone.. thanks for joining us.. hope you all had a good weekend.

April 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm |