April 28th, 2008

GOP Strategist: What Obama needs to do about Rev. Wright

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/04/28/wright.transcript/art.wright2.ap.jpg caption="Jeremiah Wright speaks at an NAACP dinner on Sunday night."]

Ed Rollins
Fmr. Huckabee Nat'l Campaign Chairman

In any election, it is difficult for an unknown and undefined candidate. The first rule of any political campaign is always go out and define yourself before your opponent does it for you.

Even though the 2008 race for the Democratic nomination has been long and expensive, the front runner Senator Obama is still unknown by most voters.

He said he was going to be a different kind of leader, a healer. One who brought people together, not divide them up by groups or special interests. And many voters thought and hoped that was going to be true.

Unfortunately, on his way to the nomination, it's not his opponent Hillary Clinton who is defining him, it's his own friend and former spiritual leader, whose language and rhetoric has been hateful and unpatriotic.

The candidate brushed him aside and tried to move on after the first damage, but Rev. Wright likes the big audience and obviously likes the media attention and maybe even the controversy. He is defining Obama in a way that can only lead to devastating results.

If this race becomes one about the repression of Black America and/or the United States' perceived sins against other nations, according to the gospel of Rev Wright, then the junior senator from Illinois becomes an easy target.

Comments like this one from the Rev. Wright:
"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands (killed on 9/11) in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye... We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

And Rev. Wright's likening the Romans at the time of Jesus’ crucifixion to our brave US Marines and suggesting that the United States was acting like Al Qaeda under a different color flag. This is not a concept that Barack can defend, and now he needs to get himself as far away from the good reverend as possible.

Who is the real Obama? That's the first question I would raise if I were running a campaign against him. If the answer scares white voters or disturbs patriotic Americans, his march to victory is long and improbable.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Ed Rollins • Raw Politics • Rev. Jeremiah Wright
  1. ST

The Rev Wright issue would have been settled last year if the MEDIA had done their job and vetted Sen Obama. What a disservice has been done to the American people by the MEDIA and their awful handling of Sen Obama. Sen Obama is stuck trying to cover himself on a topic that would have been put behind him last year and would be our Democratic nominee.When will the MEDIA start doing their job of reporting the facts....Edward R Murrow would be so disappointed if he were alive!!

April 29, 2008 at 2:06 am |
  2. Jacob Brewer

I am so sick and tired of this Wright junk. Who cares!! HONESTLY.. Obama is great his pastor is a little strange for me, but I am not voting for him so who cares!

April 29, 2008 at 2:02 am |
  3. fefy

I also forgot to mention if I hear Ari Flescher and Larry whatever his name is speak about the "moral compass" of a person one more time, I am going to be sick. Who gave them the right to judge someone's moral compass. They need to take a good look on the inside and ask themselves what faith do they abide by that they can judge someelse's values and faith. They seem so disingenious. CNN, you need to get a more rounded and diverse political panel when discussing these issues because at one point I thought it was 1 against 3.

April 29, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  4. Lavon K Hummel

Fear is the thing we must watch out for. Often times we fear what we do under stand or our not use too. that is normal ... most of us have never been in a black church or step out our comfort zone to even try to see or understand . . we just stand out side uninformed and judge . we are a nation of many cultures. Value your own and respect others. isn't that what this nations about. We need to stop hating what we refuse to understand . I remember JFK was stirring things cause of his choice of faith . we need become a more knowledge inpowered people . not frightened hateful people. Lets get past this and move forward. Sen. Obama has answered to the american people enough. Why don' we ask Mr McCain to cast down his paster, Now if you want to be fearful <take a listin to his paster. he'll make you pray....

April 29, 2008 at 2:00 am |
  5. Pat

People are saying that Obama is not being strong because he is not coming out fighting against Rev Wright.

Let us take a moment to go back, how strong was Hillary when she was accepting the constant humiliation of her husband and his many trist with one woman after another while in the White House.

Obama could use that to argue her real toughness in comparision, but instead he is doing something different. He is moving forward with his campaign as if Rev Wright does not have anything to do with it, and that is right. And, I really believe if he were to fight back, he would still be criticized, but then, he would be the BIG ANGRY BLACK MAN .......... Lets face it, if this were a white preacher making comments unfavorable to Blacks, it would not even be news

April 29, 2008 at 1:59 am |
  6. john

if they using reverend wright then is fair to use bill clinton then,he lied under oath,he was impeached and having sexual intercourse with a intern,people think the gop going to let that go,think twice

April 29, 2008 at 1:59 am |
  7. minister hagan

rev wright is not a problem for senator obama. sean hannity, bill o'riley and other white separatist and black supporters of same have decided to make it be rev wright. it's simple it's racism. rather than simply own up to the fact that there are americans of all races who do not want a black president they are blaming rev wright, it's easier than saying we don't want black president. none of rev or obama statements including the ones yawl call bitter have anything to do with it. some poor, middle & upr whites would rather be poor un der a white person than prosper under obama. just like in the bk animal farm by orwell[napoleon the pig is blamed for all wrong, when its the estab in the bk. obama never stood a chance for pres, but i'm glad he's running to prove the racism in american that yawl blame on wright

April 29, 2008 at 1:55 am |
  8. Tina

I am an African American Female that supports Obama but completely dislikes Rev Wright. I think that the media is giving Rev Wright a Stage that he does not deserve. He is jealous of Obama and also upset that Obama has distanced himself from the Rev. I think tomorrow, it is time for Obama to throw Rev Wright under the bus the same way Rev Wright threw him under today. I was heart broken when I saw Rev speak today because he is hurting Obama but, I wish people would be smart enough to know Rev Wright is his own person and you must separate your thoughts of Rev Wright from obama just as I have. Please people do not judge Obama by his lunatic Reverend who is just trying to sell his books and ruin Obama's chance of being president. There is no defending a man like Wright who shows no loyalty. Open your eyes everyone, Rev Wright is jealous and angry and is using the black church as a cover for his lunatic tongue. obma please denounce and reject this man and ask the media to show you some respect and no longer give Rev Wright a Platform otherwise as a black woman,I will have to support Hillary because I need a democrat in the whitehouse because right now, I care about finding a job and that is it. Work out a deal with Hillary and please gide us our dream ticket so everyone can heal.

April 29, 2008 at 1:53 am |
  9. J.V.Hodgson

Dear all,
    Mr Obama,
    1) Use the bible: "I am not my brothers keeper." Pastor Wright is entitled to his opinion, it is of course not always mine.
    2) Use the old philosophy of Rouseau and the first ammendent of free speech = " I may disagree with with everything you say but I will defend unto death your right to say it."
    3) Justice, law and religion must be kept out of politics and separated as they are in the constitution. I respect our forefathers wisdom while others for political reasons not for the good of people do not.
    4) Mr. Obama, repeat the message to ALL Americans that they must vote on issues and on " what you say not others like Clinton or McCain" or the sound bites of the media.. this the American people will appreciate, they are not led by the Media or pastor Wright and neither are you.
    5) You do not need to disown Pastor Wright as the media would have you believe but you do need to be specific about what he has said that you do not specifically support.
    Tell all Americans and the world of whatever religion that you respect them, not necessarily totally agree with them.Until that happens at the very top in America the slippery slope of Iraq and Iran will get worse not better, along with America's decline as a major leader in world politics. = America is not trusted under its current government policies and politics and is going the way of the Spanish and British colonial empires right now in so many ways.
    Political CHANGE is essential not the hanging on to myriad sound bites either good or bad for any candidate.
    Good for CNN to print all of Wrights speech ( or most of it )at the NCAAP
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

April 29, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  10. Jim B.

Once again, religion serves chiefly to divide us in our great nation. Rev. Wright is no different that the Hagees, Robertsons, and Falwells of the religious right in that he prospers and keeps his position by generating and perpetrating divisions. Really, Wright has a big stake in Obama losing. I believe he is deliberately attempting to sabotage Obama's campaing so that he may use an Obama loss as fresh "evidence" that this country is as racist or evil as he thinks it is. Of course, he'll happily continue to divide people without offering viable solutions to any of our many problems. If Obama wins, in the tradition of the falsely religious, Wright will somehow twist it and claim God has answered his prayers. Never trust a preacher who preaches hate, period.

April 29, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  11. Riz

This is not as delicate of an issue as we think it is. The problem is that America has issues that it doesn't want to take responsibility for, so they call anyone who speaks of them a communist (as they did Martin Luther King, Jr.), or a racist (as they are now calling Reverend Jeremiah Wright.) The thing is, I keep hearing people say how despicable the things that he says is, but I have not one time heard anybody analyze the truth to what he said! You keep skirting and dancing around that. Tell me this: if what he is saying is so despicable, and wrong, what does it make the act? It makes it even more wrong right? He is simply speaking about the truths of dare I say white America against black America, yet he is the racist? Oh, right! That was so long ago! Let me ask you: why is it that when blacks bring up slavery and other issues that happened to our ancestors, fore-fathers, or in a lot of cases, our fathers, it's the past why can't we just forget about it and move on. But, you want to honor the people that did it. You have them all on statues and carved out on rocks! Then you wonder where all of this anger is coming from! Name me one thing that he said that wasn't true, or doesn't have strong evidence supporting it and no evidence against it! If he is a racist prove it with facts! You talk about his pride, but your pride is making you get offended by the truth! Not to mention the fact that if you aren't a racist white person, he's not even talking to you!

April 29, 2008 at 1:45 am |
  12. Chris

Please post this.

If we hold Obama to what JW says then please hold catholic politicians to what the priests have done to children for decades. Since guilt by association is ok. Please make it go round. I then believe that it is ok to call all catholic politicans pedophiles.

For the record I am catholic.

This has gone on for too long.

April 29, 2008 at 1:45 am |
  13. Tyrone

Am i watching Entertainment Tonight? or is this CNN? At any rate I can't tell the difference anymore. From a Canadian perspective it looks like the so called "best political team on television" has gone from, what i would grade them, an A+ as far as political fairness to a D-. Americans really need to look, read and listen to what their candidate has to offer and not their pastors, and CNN needs to take a look at key issues which are going to effect the daily lives of Americans and take a blank political standpoint rather than bombarded the American public with subliminal rhetoric and overplayed sound-bites. When Rev. Wright starts to make the gas prices then maybe you should be concerned.

Next up on ET "The shocking new comments from Rev. Wright that you haven't heard" and "Hilary's husband cheated on her but can we still trust her?"

Just a Canadian standpoint

Tyrone Williams, 18
    Calgary, Alberta

April 29, 2008 at 1:44 am |
  14. fefy

At this point I am extremely confused. Yesterday after listening to Rev. Wright at NAACP event I was pleasantlly engaged with his speech. He was very eloquent, funny and informative. Today after hearing him at the national press club, my heart sank. Why would he do this to Senator Obama? There is unfortunately something going on behind the scene that we are just not aware of. One of the guests on AC360 stated that he is lashing out because Senator Obama somewhat distance himself from him. But, why would the Pastor do this now. It is unbelievable and deeply tragic. With saying that I still be in Obama, and he will be the next president of this country. Also, I question why the media is not pointing to the fact that the Clintons have a past relationship with Rev. Wright, and highlighting the association with Pastor Hagee and John McCain. I do hope Americans will see past the subterfuge, And, I must say this is being also spun by the media over and over again. I also respect the fact that Senator Obama is not caving to the pressure to get engaged in this nonsense and is focusing on the issues. I almost wonder if Rev. Wright is working behind the scene for Clinton, because this is just to bizarre. We are talking about a very highly educated and well versed pastor, he knows the impact of his words right now.

April 29, 2008 at 1:44 am |
  15. Jamar

I am a 46 year old AA Male and although I grew up in the "Black Church" all of my life and I believe people have a right to speak their minds I really feel that this Pastor is milking the life out of his 15 min of fame (or shall I say shame). When I saw this Man on CNN tonight I was ashamed and disgusted with his antics and dancing around like a total _____ (you fill in the blanks).

He continually says that He is not running for President but yet He continues to involve Himself smack dab in the middle of it all. I feel that He is a divisive person and does nothing but hurt Barack Obama's chances for the White House.

April 29, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  16. Kathleen Thompson

This is my plea to Barack Obama:

I happen to be that voter the media is saying Barack is trying to reach: I am a middle class, white voter and I have been inspired from Barack ever since he enter the national scene when he became Illinois Senator....I also happen to be a woman and I don't identify with Hilary because she is a woman, nor do I identify with Barack Obama because he happens to be a Christian like myself...I identify with his vision for unification of all different walks of life across the country...which includes respecting the thoughts of every person and the right to be inspired by a preacher's call for social rights, while not agreeing with everything that preacher says...please stress this once again and explain to the American people that there is a separation between church and state
    p.s. If Hilary is so self-righteous as to state she would leave a church for moral reasons...what happened when Bill cheated? He did wrong and you saw the good qualities in him and stayed...no one is using that against you...how dare you do the same to Barack Obama for exercising his constitutional right to attend whichever church he pleases

April 29, 2008 at 1:41 am |
  17. Gracie

I do not understand how Obama could spend 20 years listening to and befriending this person. Anything Obama says now to try and distance himself from this man will be purely for political reasons or he would have said it on day one.

The bottom line for me is that Obama spent 20 YEARS – not 1, 3 or 5 years, but 20 YEARS listening to this and never moved to another church! Then Obama tried to hide this relationship, but quietly added him to his campaign. Anything he says now to explain this relationship and his actions will be purely for political reasons and difficult to be believed. Sorry Obama.

April 29, 2008 at 1:41 am |
  18. sharon

I am not watching anymore of this political garbage. I use to come home and watch the entire evening CNN line up starting with Campbell brown onto Anderson Cooper, but latley it is as if the Media is single handedly trying to take the nomination from Obama. I thought Rev Wright was a story in the begining but this is madness. These are not Sen Obama's words and to have the Media try to loop over and over again is sick. I am done. Go ahead give the nomination to Hillary it's clear that is what is at work here.

April 29, 2008 at 1:34 am |
  19. Robert

Rev. Wright is absolutely right about most of what he said during his Sunday speech in Detroit. He may be off on one area or another, but was dead on about the most important element. Too many TV talking heads and so-called experts do not know what is really going on in the world. They try to sensationalize and criticize. We need more voices like Rev. Wright. Americans and everyone in the world are different, not deficient. Black, white and hispanic may have different cultures but one is no less important than the other – all are equal not deficient. Why does CNN, ABC, NBCand FOX not give more alternative voices a chance to be heard?

April 29, 2008 at 1:32 am |
  20. Jason

Rev. Wright had -some- good points.'but' He Is just a very stuck up person. He shoud have never made any comments about "America" even if it was a sound byte, this country is all about sound bytes, one comment can damn you for a life-time. Any man that talks about "America" Can shove there words up there ass, if they do not like America, then leave the damn country, why is he here? cause he can't deny it's the best damn country in the world!!!!

April 29, 2008 at 1:31 am |
  21. Elizabeth

Rev. Wright is like the uncle in the family who says and does some inappropriate or controversial things but you can't do anything about it. Obama should keep pointing this out because everyone has someone like that in their family and can relate to this problem. But I agree that Obama needs to show some strength here. If he can't deal with someone like Wright, how will he deal with strong willed or combative leaders in other countries?

April 29, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  22. Carmen McKines

Amen to Gail! I, too, am so sick of the negativity. It is utterly depressing! I don't want to watch or hear it anymore! It's draining, non-productive, and erases any hope for me that this country really wants change! I was once so excited about this presidential campaign. I couldn't wait to get home from work to check out the latest updates. I can't stand it now. We are bombarded with negative news after negative news after negative news. If the majority of the media's reports are about hostility, fights, drugs, war, despair, corruption, theft in high places, high gas and food prices, ya da, ya da, ya da. Is it unreasonable to think that over a long period of time this will begin to affect and impact us in negative ways???

This stuff is crazy making! Unbelievable!

April 29, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  23. gloria

The media especially cnn should be ashame of themselves .This story on Mr Wright has been running all aday .You just had a tornado in virginia ,they are so many people looking for solutions to dealing with this inflation .Yet the media can waste all this air time on one subject .You have totally forgot about the issues at hand the lowerclass and the american economy . The media is just as guilty as Mr wright enough already lets move on .The media gave Mr Wright the flatform you they are partially to blame for this mess .Kids are watching the news lets leave it alone because no one has the fix .

April 29, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  24. terence white jr

i find it amazing that no news network is reporting or rerunning the story about hillary clinton denying she recived contributions from peter paul,although the same man threw a fund raiser for her a few years back. if anyone is going to air shady dealings ;or guilt by association then hillary should be exposed also!

April 29, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  25. Jose Morales

JW needs to continue in the media spotlight so that we can come to our senses and understand that democratic nominee needs to be Senator Clinton. Obama is not going to be elected in general election against McCain. Barack Obama's campaign is coming to an end. Thanks Reverend Wright.

April 29, 2008 at 1:21 am |
  26. Bret

Are you kidding, Wright is playing the ultimate polititian and saying all the right things now that all of the attention is on him. he's just another hypocritical preacher making tons of cash "in the name of Jesus". He obviously preaches race baiting and his type of preaching pits white vs black, which is the wrong way to go. He is the last preacher I would allow my 2 black sons to listen to in church.

April 29, 2008 at 1:18 am |
  27. Kanji Wright, Burnsville, MN

Obama can do nothing about Rev. Wright. We can not be judge by what other people say. If we could, we would all be GUILTY.

April 29, 2008 at 1:17 am |
  28. BJ dean

Why not just gag the old rev. then you wouldn't have to worry about trodding on his freedom of speech but wait isn't america the land of the free, the Clintons got us in the mess were in Bush jumped on the band wagon McCain wants to carry on where bush left off electing a black for presigent is a bitter pill for us old senior whites to swallow but come voting day Obama is the only one who stands a chance to turn this country around, I see more caring and more heart in him than all the rest put toghether.

April 29, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  29. chad

OK crazy dems .. AND OJ WAS "NOT GUILT" ..

April 29, 2008 at 1:15 am |
  30. Tane

Why is it that 80% of the coverage on the networks is making a huge issue of this, saying it is completely damaging to Obama, and yet 80% of these posts (your viewers!) are expressing the opposite? You are contributing to the cynicism that corporate controlled MSM is either threatened by Obama's campaign to undermine the power of corporations over policy or that they simply care much more about ratings then they do about finding truth and informing the public? It's looking more and more like you are simply mouth-pieces rather than ethical journalists. I hope I am wrong because I usually enjoy the reporting on this station.

April 29, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  31. Donald, Toronto

I would like to first address a comment that that is made by Maritza an earlier commentor here-in. She/He stated that Senator Obama endorses Hamas. That is a lie!!! Senator Obama did not endorse Hamas. He clearly stated that he would not have met with Hamas as former president Carter did because Hamas is a terrorist organization that does not recognize the right of Israel's existence. If you were a media personnel filing a report, you would imparted falsehood to a large mass of people. Sometimes many people get up and say things that they heard from someone else without taking time to verify the validity. I am a black man who is proud of who I am. Many in my people in my community behave in ways that causes me to shake my head with contempt. However I will not turn my back on or disown my race. Many of the things that Rev. Wright said is true, notwithstanding, for the sake of reconciliation, diplomacy is a more formidable approach. I will not condemn the Reverend, neither would I condemn a white person who would have made comments about blacks bums that won't work but rather rob hard working people, if that person or his/her friend(s) or family member(s) was/were robbed and beaten up by some black people. There is a saying, "Who feels it knows it". I personally voice my concern on many occasion at my church with respect to comments made from the pulpit because Jesus came and preach the kingdom of God, His righteousness and His planned salvation for all mankind. It is not to say that Pastors cannot address the secular civil and social ills in our society especially if it is with respect to reproving sin so as to get all people regardless of race or color to fall in line with God's will. I just believe that the making of statement outside of context regarding man's salvation should be done in an arena away from the pulpit. Why? The church is like a hospital where every one should be able to come and receive healing spiritually, mentally, physically and temporally, not be condemn for the actions of one's progenitors . That being said, Reverend Wright is entitle to free speech especially when what he is saying is the truth, even though I think that there is a time and place for every thing. Just a reminder folks, don't believe every thing one sees or heard from the various media sources. Verify the facts for yourself. Thank you.

April 29, 2008 at 1:10 am |
  32. TJ of Toronto, Canada

I'm so sick of CNN playing the race card! Main Stream Media twists the facts failing to report the whole story. Interesting how you leave out the part that Pastor Wright was quoting someone else. It's evident that you are trying to manipulate these elections. Instead of being fair and non-biased. If you want to discuss religion, why don't you bring up the McCain's pastors. Or why don't you bring up the fraud trial that the Clintons are knee-deep in. I'm a white woman who is disgusted with main stream media. I can even see that there is racism involved with media reports. As far as I'm concerned, Pastor Wright hit the nail with hammer! This is the reason why the world has so many issues with your Country!

April 29, 2008 at 1:06 am |
  33. Jack D. Lee

I am currently a man without a candidate. I have relied on AndersonCooper360 for a long time for up to date, accurate, relevant information. I really need for you to let Jeremiah Wright go and get back to the real issues facing this country. Use your talents as a journalist to ferret out where these 3 candidates really stand on the real issues and report on what they realistically think they can do about them. I have neighbors that can not afford to go to work because of the rapidly soaring fuel prices. Just call me the grassroots in Texas because these things are what interests me and those around me. Please, let JW go, Anderson.
    Thanks
    Jack D. Lee

April 29, 2008 at 12:59 am |
  34. Dana Harris, Bay Area CA

I had a chance to watch the live version of this, even the pasture before Rev Wright and I have to say, that was one powerful speech.. from both. Rev Wright gave me a lot to think about. Even though he was quoting many Educated scientists, he explained things so well. He is definitely educated and doesn't blind himself to things others wish not to see. I have to say hearing a full speech from him gave him a whole new light and now I could care less what others think about him. Most people that don't understand him are small minded to begin with and others just don't want to face the fact that what he says is true. Personally I don't think this will affect the soon to be President Obama because they have nothing to do with each other which Rev. Wright iterated in the beginning. Of course people will try to still put the two together, because they have nothing else to grasp at. But in the end it will not matter because life will go on and Obama will still win...

As for Hillary... I find it funny that with all the experience she claims to have she still made the wrong decision on the war. So much for what ever it was she learned.

April 29, 2008 at 12:50 am |
  35. Dedra McDade

My mother always said "You are judged by the company you keep". Obama kept company with Wright for twenty some years. I would not have sat in that church for twenty years unless I agreed with him. And Obama did and still does agree with this radical man. The black churches are defending him by saying this is the way we preach. HIV is a virus the United States of America's government invented to kill the blacks????? Wright admitted on CNN that yes he believes this..... Does anyone see what's wrong with this picture? Do you really want to elect man that has kept company with and believes in Rev. Wright?? I'm a life long Democratic (I'm 64) but I will not vote for Obama if he gets the nomination, he scares me to death. I will cast my vote for McCain.

April 29, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  36. Tane

Good point TJ: We also trained Noriega, Kaddafi and Saddam Hussein and helped put them in power. We didn't think Hussein was so bad then. Did everyone manage to forget the Iran Contra Hearings? We armed both Iran and Iraq and then sat back and watched them kill each other as well as their own citizens while we raked in the cash on their deaths.

We have been decimating the Iraqi communities for decades – in 1991 we dipped in and leveled buildings, killed innocent citizens and imposed embargo's that increased poverty and inflamed hatred of us. We repeated that action twice during the Clinton Presidency and now we have spent more than 5 years embroiled in this war which has led to the deaths of more than 4,000 US troops and as many as 100,000 Iraqis. Do we honestly not think that we have caused the Iraqi's terror?
    We are finding out more every day about the torture of detainees that the top officials of our Administration were integrally involved in. Does God bless these actions?

We are now hearing John McCain and Hillary Clinton inflaming the hatred of the US with their irresponsible and flippant comments, "Bomb Bomb Iran" and "we would be able to totally obliterate Iran." Who truly believes that threating to obliterate 70 million people is helping to ease the tensions in the Middle East and decreasing the hatred of us by the Taliban, al Qaeda and other extremists?

Are we to ignore the actions of our Government in a statement of blind patriotism?

April 29, 2008 at 12:48 am |
  37. Constance From Florida

Rev. Wright is abiggoted racist only slightly more educated than the Klu Klux Klan. In the Bible under Mathew Chapter 7 Verse 15 quoting Jesus:

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheeps clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

Is this a discription of Rev. Wright or Barak Obama?? This is why I back Sen. Hiliary Clinton for President. There are too many questions about Sen. Obama's.

April 29, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  38. rene

Wake up from the FOOLISHNESS.........................Rev.Wright....please..Did I hear u say u are writing a BOOK....WELL that says it all....

April 29, 2008 at 12:44 am |
  39. Gaby

To Casey,

Great points, in your post. what I have learned from this country is that people are not listening or they act like they do not understand. In the news how many times will they repeat the same topics over and over, about Rev. Wright, so that they (journalist) can report on this issue until they beat this dead horse to death? Wright does not speak for Obama, nor does het think for Obama, eat for Obama, fill up his gas tank for Obama, you get the picture.,

April 29, 2008 at 12:43 am |
  40. Lisette Chicago, IL

ANOTHER VERY GOOD REASON WHY RELIGION AND POLITICS DO NOT BELONG TOGETHER.

April 29, 2008 at 12:42 am |
  41. Larry

I think that we need to Hear from Michelle Obama and not just Barack; after all this is a topic that could impact the entire family.

April 29, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  42. alberta

someone from canada asked me to post this for them:

Would someone kindly post this on AC 360 blog for me.

April 29, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  43. Phil

If Rev Wright should be repudiated and rebuked for speaking hatred than what should we do to those who actually "ACT" on their hatred? I would suspect every non-racist would agree "slavery" was pretty bad and anyone associated with it should be reprimanded for it. How many "Heroes" do we honor today that were slave owners?

April 29, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  44. Mick

I'm stunned no one has taken issue with Dr. Wright's implied insult to Irish-Americans, in his speech before the NAACP this weekend.

"Same people thought that the Irish had a disease, when the Irish came here. Did ya hear me O'Malley.... O'Shaunessy,.. O'Riley... They thought you were... Oh well, they mighta been right about..."

So what did the "reverend" mean by that remark? Especially since the next day he is eager to defend Nation of Islam's Louis Farrakhan saying "...he didn't put me in chains". Well rest assured O' Reverend that neither did the O'Malley.... O'Shaunessy,.. or O'Riley of whom you speak.

As one who purports to be a Man of God and follower of Jesus, please... put that remark in biblical context for us. How Is that not divisive speech?

If the "reverend" Wright has indeed ever really been in chains – I believe they were only metaphorical, with many of the links forged in the cauldron of his own attitude.

And if Senator Obama sat through 20 years-worth of his Sunday sermons, except for 3 of them, voters must question which parts did sink-in... and what parts he "didn't inhale" ?

Now after listening to the "reverend's" Monday speech before the National Press Club, perhaps I need to be voting for "Cousin McCain" who's clan is credited with leading the first of six emigrant ships, arriving in Boston Harbor in 1718. After all... should stick with my 'diseased' O' race eh ?

Finally, in response to the 'reverend's question at the Press Club, as to how many years (chicken hawk) Cheney served in the military – the answer would be the exact same number served by both the Clintons & Senator Obama combined... zero! So if that's Wright's litmus test on patriotism, well then...

April 29, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  45. rene

This rev. Wright should be ignored GAS 3.85 a gallon around my neighborhood .People our out on the street, I cant afford to send my daughter to college........give me a break...Lets just get a NEW president .we need help out here.... voting Obama

April 29, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  46. Robert

Touch not my annointed? Who are you (reader) to decipher who is annointed or not? I am warning you who speak derogatorily about Rev. Wright. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ says "touch not my annointed!

You should be thinking about what I just wrote.
    It would be wise.

April 29, 2008 at 12:32 am |
  47. Nate Kimbrough

It seems CNN doesn't wish to hear the truth. My attempt to post my last post was refused. Yes, the republican pondits are saying things that doesn't make sense about Jeremiah Wright. Cnn's Anderson cooper and other commentators are also helping the Repulican pundits in an attempt to discredit Obama and his Pastor. Since when in America does a person's pastor reflect him or her. All the catholic priests that molested young children does not reflect it's congregation, but these empty headed pundits won't say that.

April 29, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  48. Paul Warnow

Racism in America

It is a sad day in America when racism rears its ugly head. You can see it in the media.

As a white male, I am greatly offended by how the media aired select snippets of Reverend Wright’s speeches, with biased reporting, and associated them to Barack Obama.

The media did not report on the many good things Reverend Wright, and Trinity Church, has done and continues to do for its community. They did not report on their support for victims of HIV AIDS, cancer, alcohol, abuse, or homelessness; just to name a few. And, they did not report on the many questionable statements of Reverend John Hagee, who endorsed John McCain.

African Americans were enslaved and lynched; and have been oppressed ever since. They were prevented from voting; and as recently as the 2000 election, their right to vote was obstructed. They receive less educational funding, are less likely to be hired, are more likely to be paid less, are more likely to be under insured, are more likely to be under defended in the courts, and have a very high recidivism rate of incarceration. And let us not forget Katrina.

If African Americans project anger or frustration; when they speak about slavery, lynching, neglect, oppression, hardships, disenfranchisement, and disproportionate allocation of resources; Americans of all races should try to be understanding and empathetic, for it is the truth.

Sadly enough, it appears some people are insensitive to what African Americans have experienced. While insensitivity may not be an indicator of racism; it’s may contribute to racism, and may hinder resolving racism.

Reverend Wright’s statements are just words. While some of his statements may be dated; sadly enough, for the most part they are true.

Sometimes it is painful to accept reality, especially when it directly conflicts with how we would like to perceive reality.

It would be nice to wish away slavery, lynching, racism, Katrina, and the Darfur or Rwanda genocides; but, they happened.

If African slaves spoke out, I’m sure they were whipped. Later if African Americans spoke out, they were often beaten or lynched, and today it appears that if African Americans speak out they are attacked in the media.

Just think about Katrina. FEMA knew the storm was coming, FEMA knew the levies would fail, and yet FEMA did nothing.

How long did it take FEMA to send support, food, and water? How many people died? How many went hungry and homeless, and for how long? How many are still forced to live in trailers, which contain a toxic carcinogen, formaldehyde?

How many Americans spoke out in objection to slavery or lynching? And, how may spoke out for the victims of Katrina, Darfur, or Rwanda?

I can understand how African Americans are angry. Can you?

I can understand how some Americans might initially be taken back by Reverend Wright’s statements; but, I would hope that Americans would first try to understand and empathize with him and the hardships of African American, before they attack Reverend Wright, and before they attack Barack Obama for Barack’s association with the Trinity Church.

We are all preconditioned, and addressing racism will not be easy. For America to move forward, we need to first recognize our own insensitivity to each other, then maybe we will be able to begin to understand each other, and finally if we are lucky we may begin to empathize with each other.

It is my opinion that the subjectively selected snippets and biased reporting of Reverend Wright’s statements took, and continues to take, them out of context; was intended to, and continues to, agitate Americans; was intended to, and continues to, undermine Barack Obama’s campaign; was and is slanderous, failed to, and continues to fail to, report the many good things that Trinity Church has done, and continues to do; and as a consequence it is racist.

United we will succeed, divided we will fail.

Sincerely,

Paul Warnow
    SF, CA 94115

April 29, 2008 at 12:30 am |
  49. Larry

Those who want to vote for Obama because of his race will.

April 29, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  50. Barbara

People who say they do not know Barack really mean they do not want to know him. He has a website, written two books, had numerous print, television and radio interviews, twenty plus debates (cable & network), town hall meetings, campus meetings and made numerous stops on the campaign trail. Also, his record as a Sate and US Senator is public knowledge. This information is free to the public.

April 29, 2008 at 12:29 am |