April 28th, 2008

GOP Strategist: What Obama needs to do about Rev. Wright

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/04/28/wright.transcript/art.wright2.ap.jpg caption="Jeremiah Wright speaks at an NAACP dinner on Sunday night."]

Ed Rollins
Fmr. Huckabee Nat'l Campaign Chairman

In any election, it is difficult for an unknown and undefined candidate. The first rule of any political campaign is always go out and define yourself before your opponent does it for you.

Even though the 2008 race for the Democratic nomination has been long and expensive, the front runner Senator Obama is still unknown by most voters.

He said he was going to be a different kind of leader, a healer. One who brought people together, not divide them up by groups or special interests. And many voters thought and hoped that was going to be true.

Unfortunately, on his way to the nomination, it's not his opponent Hillary Clinton who is defining him, it's his own friend and former spiritual leader, whose language and rhetoric has been hateful and unpatriotic.

The candidate brushed him aside and tried to move on after the first damage, but Rev. Wright likes the big audience and obviously likes the media attention and maybe even the controversy. He is defining Obama in a way that can only lead to devastating results.

If this race becomes one about the repression of Black America and/or the United States' perceived sins against other nations, according to the gospel of Rev Wright, then the junior senator from Illinois becomes an easy target.

Comments like this one from the Rev. Wright:
"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands (killed on 9/11) in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye... We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

And Rev. Wright's likening the Romans at the time of Jesus’ crucifixion to our brave US Marines and suggesting that the United States was acting like Al Qaeda under a different color flag. This is not a concept that Barack can defend, and now he needs to get himself as far away from the good reverend as possible.

Who is the real Obama? That's the first question I would raise if I were running a campaign against him. If the answer scares white voters or disturbs patriotic Americans, his march to victory is long and improbable.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Ed Rollins • Raw Politics • Rev. Jeremiah Wright
  1. Antwan Nelson

This is just another sad case about a man (Obama) being judged by another man's (Wright) words. What this man preaches in his sermons has nothing to do with Sen. Obama's campaign. The bottom line is he is the best candidate for the presidency and he is being dragged through the mud for every single thing that is associated with him. The media and society, we can be so hypocritical. They only want to focus on the real issues when it's convenient to. How come noone's ever questioned what Clinton's pastor has said or what McCain's pastor has said. I'm sure they have made some candid remarks before. And let me add this, what part of his sermons snippets are not true when it comes to our government. I may not agree with the manner in which he is relaying his opinions, but he has the right to say whatever he wants. I just hope that America won't fall into the trap of allowing sidebar topics to distract us again in another election so we can elect the best possible candidate.
    The media is so good at distracting the people from the real issues, such as healthcare, the economy, unfair tax breaks, and the war in Iraq which should not have been started in the first place but that's another topic for another day.

April 28, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  2. KML

How can anyone take offence to Rev. Wright when he says " Americas chickens are comming home to roost" wasnt it the United
    States that supplied and TRAINED Bin laden and his band of hooligans in the 80's, wasnt it the US that supplied Saddam with his weapons of destructions, isnt it the US's foreign policy today thats making Al queda stronger this very minute

April 28, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  3. Michole Childress

Why isn't the media interested in why McCain has such a poor relationship with his church, and why the only time we've seen Hillary in church is in the AME church when her husband was elected? If relegious affiliation is such a litmus for Obama, why isn't it required of the other candidates?

April 28, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  4. michaelp0429

David wrote: "if obama losses, the world will see america as the most racist country in the world."

That is the last time I listen to anyone tell me that I am a racist if I don't vote for Senator Obama. There are two other candidates in this election, both of whom have vastly more experience and are more qualified for the job than Obama. He is a fantastic candidate but to make such an absurd claim that we are all racists if he doesn't win only proves you are completely and utterly blinded by his race.

April 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Trudi

The last thing I care about right now is race relations or the blight of the African Americans. I say "right now," because I'm too concerned about the economy and it's direct effect it is having on my family...our pension is questionable, our home is going down in value, we're getting ready to retire and we have to pay for our son's education.

Obama needs to get the topic off race. He needs to focus on the middle class. Not only are we strong in numbers for voting...but we are the core of the economy. If we suffer...everything suffers.

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Patricia

Obama has separated himself from Wright. Why can't you just let it go; this is getting VERY frustrating. I have to turn the cable tv off, I can't stand to listen to the next spin that's coming.

I hope Obama continues to talk about the issues and that he takes some time to visit the factories and get into the real life of the working middle class. It would help to get away from the big presentations and get to where he can get more personal.

April 28, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Dawn

If anyone thinks this political race is not about race has their head in the sand. Black people are not for the most part supporting Hillary. Get real.

April 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Nina

What is going on with Mr. Wright? I can't stand with his speech.

I don't care what he said, I already made up my mind wanting to see a new young face. Keep destroying each other and America will go to the hell.

April 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Cyndi

What do you want Senator Obama to do? Rev. Wright is a grown man. Rev. Wright has the freedom to express himself. Why does White America insist on "shuttin' up" Black America for expressing how they feel? Why does White America view this as "hate"? African American people feel slighted. They feel injustice. They don't hate. They have never enslaved anyone. They just want social justice. Sen. Obama is a decent and honest man. Maybe America is not ready for this type of fresh boldness. Why are still clinging onto those same old stale lies and bigotry? Washington needs an overhaul.

April 28, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Carolyn

Senator Obama was correct about fear. I think it's being used by the media to distract and manipulate. I am less frightened, disturbed by or shocked by Rev. Wright than I am by the media, actually after hearing him yesterday he seems to even be more sound sometimes. I am so tired of "unpatriotic" being used to silence people who speak out against unjust policies of our country.

Americans have loved this country when it was good, great and even VILE. But they did not renounce it and leave during the vile times, so why should Sen. Obama do that with his minister. Always the double standard.

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. nazy

obama will say anything to get elected!!

but Clinton will deliver!!!
    and i hope to the great god tha people will realize that sooner then later......

April 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Dawn

He sat in the pew every Sunday for 20 years listening and supporting Rev. Wright by his presence. He has called him his mentor, etc. – please stop making excuses for him and trying to explain him. By the way – where has Michelle Obama been lately??? Did she not say this was the first time she was proud to be an American.

April 28, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Reggie Gay

With all due respect, can we please get back to the real issues in the campaign? We need to hear more about what Obama, Clinton or McCain will do about border patrol and illegal aliens in the U. S., the economy, education, health care, the mortgage crisis and the ridiculous $4.00 a gallon gas.

Dr. Wright IS NOT running for President. Please turn the cameras OFF that rhetoric. The American people need to see more stimulating debate between these candidates that'll give voters a clear picture of who is the best candidate to be the next President of the United States.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Jennifer Roth

Obama is not responsible for what his pastor says and does. It wasn't long ago that several priests and pastors across the country were found to be child molesters, drug users and patrons of prostitutes. I hope the people of their churches weren't held accountable for their dispicable actions.

April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Michelle Jackson

He needs to completely distance himself and disown Rev. Wright. And repudiate any additional divisive comments he makes on race relation.

I am an African American and Rev. Wright "does not" speak on behalf of the black church. I will pray that if you're a white working class voter that you don't hold Barack Obama accountable for what Rev. Wright say or do.

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Cynthia

Senator Obama can't stop Rev. Wright from saying what he wants to say. I hope that the American people won't judge him based on Reverend Wright.

April 28, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Jenny

I disagree with those saying that Obama should distance himself from his former pastor, and I disagree with him doing so. He may not agree with the views of the pastor, but he has to admit and we have to admit as well that part of who Obama is today comes from him listening for 20 years to his pastor. One has to admit that the pastor did a good job, thruth is, a lot of us like Obama's personality. By the way, pastor Wright is right on everything that he said. I am a foreigner myself adn I have seen a lot in my country coming form the U.S and others countries have seen worse. So, pastor Wright is right about the chicken.

April 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Damian

Have we heard anything about the issues this weekend? Of course not because that's not what keeps people watching. Let's be honest, the media needs "juicy" stories. The media chooses what stories they cover and they are choosing the drag this Rev. Wright story along. Up until yesterday when was the last time the media had any significant coverage of the NAACP freedom fund dinner? The only reason they covered it this year is because Rev. Wright was speaking and the media was just waiting for their next "big story".

April 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  19. james eavey

I think that you are out of your mind. Jerimiah Wright is correct in everything that he said. I am a 32 African-Amercian and I applaud him for standing up for himself. There is a clear distinction between Obama and Wright. The sad thing is that the ignorant voters in this country can not see the distinction and that is sad. There is a race based voting that happens in this country and there are many white people that will not vote for Obama due to that fact. Racism still exists in this country. I live in Waynesboro, Va. There are local preachers in this area that openly tell their parishoners that dating out of your race is a sin. In 2006 a white friend of mine told me that her pastor told her this. The only people that is hurting Obama is the media. The republicans put that add on television in North Carolina, and it was a smear campaign, using Jerimiah Wright. So the media put and has kept Wright in the media. There are distinct differences in white churches and black. I grew up in an all white church, and when I finally visitied an all black church, my eyes were opened. All this goes back to the scare tactics. America needs to wake up. The republicans won the white house 4 years ago with scare tactics and half truths. I think what Wright has said is accurate, Many people may not like Louis Farrakhan but you must respect what he has done for the members of the Nation of Islam. People call him an extremist for his comments, well they called Martin Luther King Jr. a communist, but they have a federal holiday named after him. Helloooooo????????
    I'm really ashamed of many of the black journalists that have stood by and let Wright and Obama be crucified. Shame on you. Wright is a preacher and Obama is politician. They are two different people.

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  20. shirley

Senator Obama is not quilty by association. Two of Hillary's very close associates, Bill and Penn, were paid to lobby for the Columbian Trade Agreement, she did not reveal that to voters. Hillary is supporting the Columbian Trade Agreement just as she supported NAFTA. Right?

April 28, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Kathleen

Rev. Wright is not running for president. If the Democratic Party gives this nomination to Hillary Clinton like the U. S. Supreme Court gave the Presidency to George W. Bush than I feel very strongly that every black man and woman – every individual that believes in true Democracy – fairness and what is in the best interest of this country should refuse – REFUSE – to Vote for Hillary Clinton. If we allow race,
    and the views of his minister to decide for us we deserve McCain.
    I have sat in church and was not in total agreement with what was said and the views of others within the congregation and those on the pulpit but I was their for one reason the word of God not the surman of the minster that was not in keeping with the word of God

April 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Diane

It is too late for Obama. How can anyone believe the words that come out of his mouth. He is constantly turning the focus off himself and putting it back to the media, the people, to the old politicians. We can not be fooled by him any longer.

This is not about the black church. This is about Rev. Wright! This is about Obama's judgement to lead this Country in the right direction. This is about Obama's choice of friends, family, and associates that are anti-American. This is about why is Obama confortable with these people. This is about Obama's inexperience to run this country.

Vote Hillay or Vote McCain

April 28, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. M. Craig

Rev. Wright spoke the truth. The only reason you are upset with Rev. Wright is you are afraid of the truth.

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Dwayne from Texas

I wonder why Catholic politicians did not have to distance themselves from the Catholic Church during the molestation saga. I did not hear them apoligeing last week. Why does John McCain not have to distance himself from controversial clergy who have endorsed him?

April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Daymond

Mainstream America is unware that attacks on Rev Wright also attack Black America. Coming from someone who actually was born and raised in the inner city, some of these pundits (black and white) are just out of touch. Wright;s views represent the majority view in the African Americaout community. This is not meant to be divisive, but to give a better understanding.

April 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Matt

I am glad for all of this to show that Racism is alive and well and the media is leading the way to show a stronger division. I love the USA best place on the Earth. But when you feel out a personality sheet one question is usually always found; What do you like or dislike about yoursellf? We don't want to hear the ugly parts of ourselves but we are quick to point out them in others. This dialogue is good because as far as we have come as a nation we are still divided as a people.

April 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Carolyn

Barack Obama's campaign needs to act immediately. Senator Obama cannot speak out forcefully enough to condemn what Rev. Wright has done.

It is unfortunate that Rev. Wright felt compelled to revel in his hopefully temporary spotlight. This is not helpful to the American viewer or obviously to Obama's campaign.

This is no time to be a nice guy – we're talking about the presidency of the United States. Senator Obama needs to distance himself – throw Wright under the bus, if you will, but he needs to act forcefully and he needs to act NOW.

April 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Claudio

I can't understand the hit job being done on Obama. After watching the complete NAACP speech and this mornings questions at the National press club and cannot see what the press is seeing. This man is brillant, well spoken, thoughtful and compasionate. The spin is spining yourself out of viewers. Not one reporter will look into the answers Mr. Wright gave, why should they, all they do is comment and based upon who your masters are, your comments reflect the masters wishes.

Keep spining, we have other sources for truthful insight as to the real story.

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Jean, NJ

I'm so tired of the sound bites. As a white woman I had watched the whole sermons during this thing and it gave me a different perspective. I knew back then he was quoting a white Ambassador about the chicken coming home thing. I was hoping someone in the media would clear that up. But as the media does. He kept that going. I hope America is smarter. Find the truth America. When you can't pay your mortgage and don't have health insurance to save your child, spouse or parent, you won't give a crap about what Rev. WRight said. Stay focus on what will help you. Plus at the end of the day Obama is white and black.

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Rob-BC Canada

It is absolutely incredible how the press is shredding Obama's campaign by continually bringing Reverend Wright front and center of the TV screen over and over.Reverend Wright is newsworthy,yes,but to a reasonable degree.It is starting to border on the ridiculous.Reverend Wright is not running for president.To constantly sublimely attach Obama closely to Reverend Wright is genuinely irresponsible on CNN and other press.Is this really pivitol to elect Obama.What do you think he is going to do, start a campaign of genocide on the white population or maybe he is an undercover agent for Hamas.Come on, I know your more intelligent than this.Dont "wag the dog" anymore.

April 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  31. nazy

obama is just going to come up with another one of his speeches and put this fire out again. amazingly people will buy it AGAIN.... which is really unbelievable to me.....

April 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Susan

We feel Obama has learned a lot from Wright, and has a lot of the same views.

Obama spoke bitter words to the people of Pennsylvania,

This may tell us a lot more about Obama.

April 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. john

If rich white people are running the country, what are rich black people like Rev. Wright running?

April 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. michaelp0429

Tita wrote:

"What’s important to me is who can work with ALL kinds of people, even folks who’s opinions are not to their liking. "

I agree, but while Obama gives a good speach promising to unite everyone, he has never done anything to work out comprimise with those who disagree with him. He has the most liberal voting record in the Senate. When asked why some Dems still weren't voting for him he dismissed them as clinging to their religion or thier guns because they are bitter (too bitter to see the glory of Obama, it would seem).

Hillary Clinton has won over a lot of the Republicans who hated her husband's administration in the Senate. She is more moderate and nuanced in her views because she has spent years listening to people on all sides of the issues before formulating her opinions.

If you are serious about wanting the candidate capable of seeing both sides of an issue – vote for Hillary Clinton.

April 28, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Jean, NJ

I'm sorry but Rev. Wright is speaking the truth. If people are taking Rev. Wright's words against Obama then they were never going to vote for him in the first place. Let's face it America he is speaking the truth. They said some really bad things about that man so he has the right to defend himself. He already had his speaking engagement set up and he has the right to keep doing them.

April 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. David

Just an observation- By watching Rev. Wright on TV these past few days makes good sense to me why Obama is so arrogate-

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Orin

Ed I have to agree with you Obama can kiss the nomination good bye.

April 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Mike in NYC

Rev Dr. Curlie Ray Jr wrote:

"But how much longer are we going to here about what has happened to the black man?"

As long as political capital can be mined from it, a lot longer.

Threats (implied and otherwise) work too. Last year, in a speech to the Hampton University Annual Ministers' Conference, none other than BO himself spoke of the "quiet riot" simmering among American blacks.

Yeah, yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into that. . . .

April 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  39. RobertinAZ

Shame on Americans and America assuming it is higher than the Word of God. Pastor Wright quotes scripture, sites sources of his arguments and calls for reconciliation from our state of confusion.

STOP! Look at the state of our union. It's failing and the only conclusion we can draw is to point fingers and divide into our camps. Black, white, or other it's amazing how we sink to this level everytime we face national challenges.

Senator Obama is asking us to be more than we are. He's asking us to rise above our circumstance and become the nation we aspire to be. Instead of making changes ourselves, we wait for someone to come along and rescue us from ourselves.

If Senator Obama becomes the nominee, or not, he will continue to be the very best he can be as a Christian, father, husband, and an American. We, however, will continue on a path of dispair because we've strayed so far from God's principles that we don't recognize ourselves anymore.

It's ironic that the truth traditionally hurts. Pastor Wright speaks and now many are in pain. Take from this what you will. I believe a change is going to come. You can wait for your favorite politician to come along and save you, Or, get your house in order because divine intervention is not negotiable.

April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Sheryl

Remember that Rev. Wright did not first approach the media. The media attacked him in an effort to shed negative light on Obama. Now the media is saying "how dare he defend himself". What is ironic to me is that no one is playing and replaying Hagee clips and his negative views, specifically about Catholics. Why is the media not pushing John McCain to denounce Hagee? This is in essence, what makes Rev. Wright's statements true. There is often unfair biased treatment towards black versus white even in the media. Where are the Hagee clips and why are they not being played and replayed? By the way Rev. Wright has a right to live his life the way he chooses and to state his views the way he chooses. Remember, this is a Democracy. Obama is no more responsible for Rev. Wright than McCain is responsible for Hagee. Yet we don't see, hear, read anything from the media asking McCain to denounce Hagee and this connection even greater because McCain asked for the endorsement from Hagee. McCain denounced the negative remarks of Hagee as not being his own and Obama denounced the negative remarks made by Wright and made an entire speech. One accepted by the media and rest of America and the other is not. Again, this is an example that makes Rev. Wright's statements ring true to so many people, especially Africian Americans. Let's spend an entire day on Hagee

April 28, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Anna in AZ

robert arthur preston
    I thought the same exact thing.
    Obama almost speaks out like a pastor in his speeches that is in his demeanor. He speaks over a crown like a professor giving a lector.
    I think there is allot of black theology tyhat works it's way into Obama's message. It is very clear. I was reading some of the blogs today and allot of people who had already voted for Obama regretted it. This after this whole Rev Wright thing

April 28, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Mike in NC

Why don't we talk about John McCain and Pastor John C. Hagee?McCain sought and accepted the support of this man and he has said that New Orleans brought about their own destruction by living in sin. He said that Katrina's destruction was proof "of the judgment of God against the city of New Orleans."

Now I like McCain and Obama both, but I think it is unfair to constantly attack Obama for things such as a flimsy acquaintance with William Ayers, the lunatics that support or endorse him, or his former pastor when Obama has made it clear that he does not agree with them or their comments. Barack has consistently "rejected" and "denounced" comments made by people who support him even if he has no relationship with them (Farrakhan). John McCain hasn't denounced John Hagee's comments and don't look for him to either. As long as the media refuses to ask about it he will keep it to himself so he doesn't make potential Republican voters mad.

As long as McCain and Obama are the nominees we will have a good president for the next four years though.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. TJ

I agree with you Bill (London, CT) We seem to think America is GOD (whoever one higher being is) We have faults too. America need to educate themself. Ask the media who trained Bin Laden? We did! Thats what Rev Wright, mean about chickens come home to roost! My husband is 15 years older then me and very educated and on top of History! Please go read and find out what we have done as a Nation. We done a lot of bad things too guys. Now that doesnt mean we are not good, we just need to make it right. We trained Bin Laden and read about where his money come from. It's a lot of stuff us Americans has done...ALOT! We talk about Rev Wright being Patroitic, but you have Brand and Jolie Pit and others adopting babes from other countries, but we have kids that are homeless here and our people are going to Africa, China etc to adopt babies. Hell after Hurricane Catrina etc, we had a lot of African American babies they could have adopt.

April 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Monique Kilgore

Just to add to my initial comment we are so busy dwelling on something that has not come out of Senator Obama's mouth that we have been able to forget about the lie Senator Clinton made.

April 28, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Kathy Calaman

ENOUGH with Wright – he IS NOT running for president. Obama has already condemned a lot of his comments and we have to move on and discuss what is really important like the economy, health care, Iraq, social security, etc.
    If CNN wants to give us real news.....why not talk about the upcoming contempt hearing on 5/13 against the Clinton's for not answering the subpoenas in their Paul v Clinton finance fraud charge? Now, this is breaking news!!!

April 28, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  46. Glenn

Does anyone else see the irony in a GOP advisor weighing in on how a democratic candidate should run their campaign. Inciting division within the democratic party only strengthens his parties chances come november and it seems that this is what he is doing. This is especially suspect to me given the fact that his candidate who lost his own parties nomination (what does this say about his advising anyways) is traveling the country with the presumptive GOP nominee.

April 28, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  47. Lynne

It is such a shame that there are people as woefully ignorant as those who think Rev Wright preached the same sermon each week, three times a week, plus his bible study lessons and other ministries....all the same topic and same words for 3 decades. It was always the same (in their limited thinking) "polarizing message" each week, three times a week, plus bible study lessons and other ministries...all the same topic, for 3 decades. Wow....just amazing that anyone could be that incredibly stupid to really think snippets not adding up to 20 minutes would reflect the entire 3 decades of the man's works...but when you live in a world where snippets are used to form views, I guess this is what you get....a whole lotta fools.

April 28, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  48. Lisette Chicago, IL

All of this stuff against Barack Obama
    is a complete and utter distraction.
    Barack Obama is being trashed and it is wrong.
    All of this is the past and I am interested in the future.
    If we loose Barack Obama because of this , we may as well kiss
    America goodbye and no person of substance will ever want to be a President again... so good luck America.................................

April 28, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  49. Steve Aupperle

Anderson,
    Ask these people why it is wrong for Wright to say God damn America, but it is okay for Jerry Falwell and others to say that 9-11 and Katrina were God taking retribution on the debauchery of certain Americans. That is essentially the same thing – God Damning America. The difference: Wright is black and the Falwell and the others are white. It is prejudice pure and simple. It is okay for God to damn American gays and other debaucherers, but he can't damn American supporters of our devious exploits abroad?

April 28, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  50. John

CNN is making their far left-wing bias completely obvious. They only publish comments that support or conform with that deranged perspective.

April 28, 2008 at 9:45 pm |