April 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/25/08

Welcome to Friday!  Tonight, a preview of what could be the tone of this fall’s general election. A new ad released by the North Carolina Republican Party features the most contentious sermons from Rev. Wright.  We’ll have much more of Rev. Wright’s lengthy interview with Bill Moyers and reaction from Sen. Obama.

Also tonight, accusations from Congressman James Clyburn (D-SC). He says the primary has become so venomous that some African Americans believe that the Clintons are doing everything they possibly can to damage Sen. Barack Obama to the point that he could never win in the general election.  We’ll take a closer look at that and at the impact Bill Clinton is having on his wife’s campaign.  Is he helping or would she be better off if he just stayed home?

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Genevieve M, TX

1500 bottles of Diet Coke, 0 calories!

April 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Julia Glennville, Ga.

Prayers to the family of this Gentleman. Such freak attacks are horrible and the harder to accept and deal with.

Only the police and the men who were shot knows exactly what the facts were. Kudos to the judge who had to sit and sort out the datails. All were long term detectives with many years and no bad records. On the other hand some of the men involved had criminal histories. Being an officer in this day and age takes more cuorage than ever. God Bless them.

April 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Saera El Paso, TX

good night everyone!

April 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Michelle

I agree, Erica. We can't even imagine the stress, fear and pain many families endure on a daily basis.

April 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Carmen, Marina, CA

Nite all! Happy week end to the best cable news team and bloggers!

April 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. johncnn

have a great weekend everyone .. thanks for sharing some of your friday night with 360.

April 25, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Stacy

Remember when Anderson did the mentos and Coke experiment?

April 25, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Tricia- NH

My heart goes out to the families. The Holts are inspirational and I hope that they do keep going and are joined by more and more families to end the violence

April 25, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Michelle

True. Michael. I hope the economy improves.

I love animals, so I also have sympathy for sharks who are forced inland by overfishing. But, I tell you. I saw "Jaws" when I was in high school and that did it for me...no more ocean swimming. Maybe I need therapy...ha!

April 25, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

DAnne, the "innocent" guy said he was going to get his gun from the car. Turned out he didn't actually have one in the car, but how can the cop know that? I'm very sure he did identify himself ...

April 25, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  11. kathy in ohio

obamas problems are all self inflicted so why are we not aloud to talk about it..............everyone seems to think is ok to talk about the clintons there is a BIG double standard here..........

April 25, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Tracey - Boston

@Michelle

You are so right. The live blog is the greatest. These people are on the pulse of national and international news and responding to YOU & ME whether were are stuck in an airport or in our PJ's in our living rooms.

This Rocks!!!

April 25, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Jacqui Chan

what can be worse then innocent children being murdered?
    These poor families!
    Why doesn't the federal government protect these children?

April 25, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. ericacnn

The Chicago murders leave me at a loss for words. I cant imagine what it's like for these families who are literally caught in the crossfire. I applaud the Holts and am in awe of their strength.

April 25, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Julia Glennville, Ga.

John, I agree. I wish we could watch the two congresswoman every night and for longer segments. They are feisty and honest.

April 25, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

Lisa – Ft. Lauderdale: I have to agree with you, but the media helped him along by hiding his negatives. If these things had been exposed from the beginning maybe voters would not feel like they were mislead.

Everyone blames Fox for showing the negative clips, but those that condemn Fox have not shown what they believe to be the positive clips from that same speech. I challenge them to do so. Fox is running the entire speech on their website. Everyone should watch it.

April 25, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Michael, KS

Crime is always worse when the economy is sick

April 25, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Minou, New York City

Michelle, I so agree!

April 25, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Janna

I'm with you John. Love to body surf... I had no idea that they hunt sometimes in shallow waters....Too bad overfishing and other environmental problems force them to.

April 25, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  20. DAnne

Minou,

The point is Bell was NOT a criminal. When a person dressed in regular clothes who doesn't identify himself as a policeman says freeze while I am walking down the street at 4 in the morning, sorry I will try to get away as quickly as I can. Yes police men do risk their lives "to protect and serve," but that doesn't make them above the law.

April 25, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Dawn, Solana Beach, CA

PB is Pacific Beach, I grew up in that town!LOL Yes, we will have to keep a better watch on the kids when we go to the beach this summer.

April 25, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

Hmmmm, I've always wanted to get close to a shark while I'm in a diving cage.... I still want to!

April 25, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Michelle

Not to leave you out Erica. I always appreciate your upbeat attitude and professionalism. How cool is it to be able to converse with you guys!

April 25, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  24. johncnn

thank God the attacks are so rare. to hear dr graham describe the power of a great white leaves you more than a little aghast.

i love to swim in the ocean. that .. gave me a little pause.

April 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  25. CaseyJPS - California

Thore-PB? Pebble Beach isn't near San Diego (or Solano Beach), unless I'm not translating PB correctly.

April 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Kathy

That's why I only like pools and not open water! Great White – I don't care what color....I don't think I would like to meet a shark!!

April 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Thore from Chicago

Wow, first the fires and now shark attacks. San Diego was my favorite city to visit; I think I might have second thoughts about jumping into the ocean at PB, next time.

April 25, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I just can never get my mind around how someone is here one minute and gone so senselessly the next, No matter how it happens My smypathies to the Martin family

April 25, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Mac -- San Jose, Calif

Please: respect for sharks - we're the interlopers in their territory - don't blame them for that.

April 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Michelle

Hi John. I always enjoy the magic board. You are an expert. I've worked with Smart boards in schools and they are tricky.

Sharks, yuck! Another reason not to swim in the ocean. I feel very sorry for this man's family.

April 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. CaseyJPS - California

Dawn>This must make you feel very uneasy. I would go back but I doubt I would ever go in further than my waist.

April 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Michael, KS

Thore from Chicago ~ then McCain would become President?

April 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. ericacnn

It's a freak accident but so frightening.
    I feel terrible for this man's family

April 25, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

Aaawww John, you're doing so great!

April 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. EJ - Ohio

"I really don’t understand why Bill Clinton reacts and says the things that he does. I know that he says Obama’s campaign has played the race card, but i have never once seen any evidence of this. I have seen Hillary play the gender card though. Am I missing something?"

nope

April 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  36. ericacnn

Aww, John - you're funny. You know what I say - the more bloggers the better!

April 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Genevieve M, TX

Sharks? Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water...

April 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Jacqui Chan

I hate when there is an animal attack because many people fear and hurt animals as a result.
    Of course I feel horrible for his fam

April 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Tracey - Boston

Don't feel bad John...sometimes Anderson doesn't get a chance to say Hi... We appreciate your efforts... Now Erica...where are you?

April 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

John King – you are doing fine with the multi-tasking of blogging and hosting

April 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Carmen, Marina, CA

To Thore from Chicago...Here! Here! Agree completely with your comments on NC primary and Obama. Well done!

April 25, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Regarding the cops in Bklyn: cops risk their lives every time they leave their homes. they do it for us.
    When a cop tells you to freeze you do it. You don't challenge a cop. They have to make decisions in split seconds when they are out there. I can't stand it when people act like the criminals are victims!

April 25, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Janna

So sad when animal lovers are taken down by a creature they are smart enough to respect...

April 25, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Jacob

Sharks and Politics. ... I love it.

April 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Brent

well said Jane

April 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Stacy

@Lisa: True. Though I suppose I was looking for something a bit more substantive. It's a big world out there–lots of important news to report.

April 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Genevieve M, TX

I think John should get a couple points for blogging, he blogs more than Anderson! heh!

April 25, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

John you are doing a great job joining in on the live blog. We all appreciate it when any of the 360 team gets to join in

April 25, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Michael, KS

Those poor children. I didn't realize how much power our government has.

April 25, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  50. johncnn

erica likes to make fun of my inferior blogging abilities.

April 25, 2008 at 10:37 pm |