April 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/25/08

Welcome to Friday!  Tonight, a preview of what could be the tone of this fall’s general election. A new ad released by the North Carolina Republican Party features the most contentious sermons from Rev. Wright.  We’ll have much more of Rev. Wright’s lengthy interview with Bill Moyers and reaction from Sen. Obama.

Also tonight, accusations from Congressman James Clyburn (D-SC). He says the primary has become so venomous that some African Americans believe that the Clintons are doing everything they possibly can to damage Sen. Barack Obama to the point that he could never win in the general election.  We’ll take a closer look at that and at the impact Bill Clinton is having on his wife’s campaign.  Is he helping or would she be better off if he just stayed home?

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Jason, thanks for your comments. I think we all need to support the candidate that we believe will do the best job, regardless of their race, religion or gender. Can you imagine how much better shape this country would be today if we all thought that way?

April 25, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

OH Lord, the shark haters are having a field day!

April 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. DAnne

I guess shart attacks are more rampant than a young man getting shot at 50 times and killed by "New York's finest"

April 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

casey..but forming an educated judgement out of "snipits" is just wrong and unjust

April 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Paolo

This FLDS polygamy issue teaches authorities, as well as everyone around the world to be sensitive to such cultures, even if they are morally wrong. I'm not saying we uphold such cultures but approach them with more caution, prudence and sensitivity.

April 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

the webcam is really exciting tonight, enjoy watching the sunset background on the big wall. At least the live blog is lively tonight

April 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Jacob

Hillary has done nothing to hurt Obama.

Obama hurt himself:

– Obama had an very bad debate performance in PA
    – Obama made negative comments about small town voters
    – Obama started off his political career at Ayers house and hung out with shaddy characters.

Hillary didn't bring these up and it is not her fault.

April 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  8. jane

America is not perfect. It may be the best on this earth, BUT IT IS NOT PERFECT. Why can we not admit to our flaws? Racism and waging an unjust war are not things to be proud of. We need to fix our mistakes. Hating Rev. Wright is not the fix–its more evidence of our inability to accept criticism from others or admit our faults. This does not bode well for us as a nation.

April 25, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Stacy, sharks and politics kind of go together, so it's a good fit:)

April 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  10. EJ - Ohio

Someone mentioned Huckabee earlier. He actually sounds very reasonable to me. He's a very likable person.

April 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Thore from Chicago

I find it ironic that that issue of race comes up before North Carolina primary; Obama's campaign knows what works and by injecting race before the primary, they will divide the democratic party even further. Sorry, but race has been emphasized by the media and will continue to be a hot button issue, until Obama is out of the race. Nobody is cheating anyone, Obama is proving his unelectablability by his own words, actions, and associations. You can blame the Clintons for Obama's downward spiriling campaign, but Obama is doing fine bringing this plane down on his own.

April 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Jason-Riverview, FL

SEN Obama is having a Bad week..loosing to HIllary Clinton, Then REV Wright Speaks...so to counter it, SEN CLYBURN come out and speak and speak this MONOLITHIC nonesense...How dare him? NOT ALL BLACK folks support Obama or will support him. I think that is so monolithic and actually uneduacted to think we all are going to vote for him. He needs to look into the fact why so many in the Black community are getting harrassed by other blacks for supporting Hillary Clinton; Yes I have being harrassed and being called traitor...SEN Clyburn Look into that before you spew the nonesense.

April 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  13. johncnn

i wish we had more time for that – both congresswomen are thoughtful and feisty.
    and i can see you all are having a healthy debate, too.

April 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Stacy

Are shark attacks really so rampant that they require a segment on the national news?

April 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Don't you think the Bell story deserves more then a brief mention. Maybe if we did not just have 20 plus minutes on Rev Wright story (so over it) we could have had it

April 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Maureen T

50 bullets? Now that is too much. And these cops were cleared? Is that justice? I don't think so!

April 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Dawn, Solana Beach, CA

The beach where the man was attacked is the same that we take our kids to and play in the water & swim. My dad walks there every day as well. Just goes to show you that nature is nature and you can't take safety for granted, even when it's the beach across the street from your house.

April 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Shannon from Washington

I really don't understand why Bill Clinton reacts and says the things that he does. I know that he says Obama's campaign has played the race card, but i have never once seen any evidence of this. I have seen Hillary play the gender card though. Am I missing something?

April 25, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Fox news first aired the snippets –

April 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Carmen, Marina, CA

I saw Clyburn earlier today on cable news. I find the assertions made by Clyburn sickening and an example of negative campaigning, not to mention race baiting, that have been levelled at the Clinton campaign. Now seemingly brought out today on behalf of Obama. Now who’s doing the ultimate negative campaigning? There is no more maligning comment against Hillary than that put forth by Clyburn. It is preposterous.

April 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

What has Hillary done to "destroy" Obama??? All of his problems are self inflicted – Rev. Wright, Ayers (the terrorist), Michelle Obama's finally proud to be an American, Obama's bitter – clinging to guns, religion and antipathy – these are all self-inflicted. The Dems have no political courage and that has caused them to be out of power for a long time. Blaming Hillary for fighting a tough fight is ridiculous – if she wasn't fighting hard, people would say she is a woman and is not tough enough to be President.

April 25, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

Michael..more ppl like you need to speak out ...I totally agree

April 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Julia Glennville, Ga.

Michelle, Just a reminder but Hillary does belong to a church, has a pastor and attended that church as recently as Easter, unlike Obama who can say when he was last in church?? Does anyone know? He was in the V. Islands this Easter when all the flap about Rev. Wright was going down, (he publicly supported this man, while denouncing the sermons that he never heard?) instead of attending his church.

April 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. DAnne

We will never be satisfied. Neither Wright nor Obama can do anyhing else to give you the true meaning of himself, his beliefs, and his Church. If you didn't get an answer out of Obama's race speech, Wright's PBS interview, then just don't vote for him. Quit using this as an excuse. IT's OLD.

Thanks Mr. Wright for letting us see you without media bias.

April 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Tricia- NH

Michelle- I agree with you. I meant that as a reflection that she doesn't wear her religion on her sleeve, but seems to keep it in her heart-where it should be. Tying oneself to a specific-sometimes radical- path within the public eye would only serve to harm those in that same path as well as the primary media target. Whatever McCains or Obama true spiritual belief, these ties have harmed them in the public eye.

April 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

Got a question....which news media network first aired the "snipits"

April 25, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. CaseyJPS - California

Sue Polinick>I sincerely believe we are all good and want to do good. The problem comes when we open our mouths, thinking with our egos before we think with our heads.

April 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, Ohio

I heard the entire GD sermon and it is just as bad as the clips they have been showing over and over again; at times worse. He uses religion as an excuse to talk against the government and not in a constructive way.

Moyers did a softball interview. His leading questions served only to give Wright a platform to make excuses for the damning things that he and Obama have said.

April 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. EJ - Ohio

Obviously there is a lot of truth to what Rep. Clyburn said. He's not the first one to say it.

April 25, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Michael, NC

Can we drop the whole race card and the whole poor white nascar vote garbage and get to some real issues. I almost dread hearing the same two subjects every day.

April 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  31. terri

Congresswoman Tubbs Jones, please stop yelling at us. When I hear supporters of Senator Clinton, I often feel like I am expected to think what they tell me to think. At least with Senator Obama's supporters, I feel as if I am being offered something for my consideration. Thank you.

April 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Kathy

Hillary does not believe that the race is bigger than her!

April 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Cindy

I think both Hillary and Obama have been nasty. No one more than the other. What's the big deal? It's an election. That is what happens.

April 25, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Jacob

I love you Rep Jones. Thank you for not being bias... Thank you....

I love you.

April 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Stacy

I think Clyburn's (sp?) charge may be overstepping. This can't be helpful.

April 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Paolo

Ironically, Bill Clinton won because of strong support from African Americans. I don't know if he's forgetting that. As I always held, if his wife loses the race if race became the issue, the Clinton camp has nobody to blame but themselves.

April 25, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Rep Clyburn is playing the race card right now – the media is talking about Obama's difficulty winning the "white working class vote" – and Rev. Wright's speaking out now reminds people of his anti-white statements – as a result, the Obama campaign has Rep Clyburn come out and throw mud at the Clintons – that they are splitting up the party and causing racial divisions – his statements will not intimidate Hillary into dropping out – but he may intimidate some fearful super delegates to prevent them for going for Hillary.

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

I can't believe it's taken this long for the media to talk about the potential drop-off of African American voters from the democratic rolls, if Hilary Clinton wins the nomination. It's called alienation, for a certain portion of voters.

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Christine Mosley

I agree with Kathy, who said that she's sick of all this spinning – so am I ! And finally some focus on Bill Clinton's comments and the backlash from them. Rep. Clyburn is absolutely right in his assessment of the Clinton campaign. It's about time a brighter light was shone on her and her surrogates, who all seem to share a very combative posture whenever they appear on CNN, whether it's Lanny Davis, Terry Aucliff, etc.

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

you know bloggers...Rev Wright is a real person.....He was in the military..served our country... Catholic priests and even Clintons own pastor praised this man for his good works toward his fellow man

again I urge you to read the entire sermon...I have....it will change your mind

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Kristin

I have seen Tubbs-Jones in the past and she was very professional inher support of Hillary. I think maybe everyone, even the superdelegates are just tired.

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Elle

The race card issue is getting old and the whining that comes along with it .

April 25, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Jacob

Representative James Clyburn should understand that the initial comments that Bill Clinton made in SC about his observation that Jesse Jackson also won in SC. I think that the media over blown the comments. They were on TV all the time and talked about all the time by the pundits.

So I can see why Bill Clinton has been frustrated by hearing all these comments given his record on race. Bill just let it build up and he made some crazy statement in philadelphia. But we should understand Bill Clinton being senstive to the attacks over the past 4 months on him by Obama and his supporters.

SO lets be fair in this. I see both sides....

April 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Jason-Riverview, FL

How can Jame C. say that and get away with it? We are NOT a Monolithic group...Not all blacks vote for Barack...Congress Clayburn needs to speak for himself. SEN Obama Needs to take blame for some of this too and RACE card has being Played on the CLINTONS, and I am a 30yr BLK African American. SEN CLYBURN needs to check himself before he speaks such IDIOTIC messages. He is ALSO injecting RACE for this and further causing racial division.

April 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Stacy

@Erica, the pic is very snazzy, but I'm a bit bummed for Jeffrey Toobin. He got pic dissed!

April 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Elisa nyc

i understand the frustration everybody involved in this camapign season feels but everybody paints hillary as a bully and obama's a victim but he slings the mud just as well as she does.

btw- john are you left handed, random but i don't think there are any lefty anchors on tv right now

April 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Michelle

Hillary doesn't have a pastor problem because I suspect, from her statements, she doesn't have a pastor. I also had a period in my spiritual development where I felt nature was a reflection of God and internet meditation posts were sufficient spiritual nourishment. We are all on different paths to God. It is best not to judge people by what denomination or level of belief they have.

April 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

The pics were a great idea

April 25, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Terri

I thought you were going to laugh for a minute there, John. 🙂

April 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Tricia- NH

Your absolutely right, John. It's also an emotional issue here on the blogs

April 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |