April 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/25/08

Welcome to Friday!  Tonight, a preview of what could be the tone of this fall’s general election. A new ad released by the North Carolina Republican Party features the most contentious sermons from Rev. Wright.  We’ll have much more of Rev. Wright’s lengthy interview with Bill Moyers and reaction from Sen. Obama.

Also tonight, accusations from Congressman James Clyburn (D-SC). He says the primary has become so venomous that some African Americans believe that the Clintons are doing everything they possibly can to damage Sen. Barack Obama to the point that he could never win in the general election.  We’ll take a closer look at that and at the impact Bill Clinton is having on his wife’s campaign.  Is he helping or would she be better off if he just stayed home?

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Brian

I watched the conversation with Bill Moyer and Rev. Jermiah Wright this evening. While I think his messages within his sermons are quite strong, I can honestly say I understand there is so much more to him and his words then what we have seen.

The snippets on YouTube did an injustice to the full message he was trying to convey. To Rev. Wright, Mr. Obama, their church and their followers, I apologize on behalf of me an my family that had looked at your words in disdain without knowing the whole story. And Thank you Bill Moyers for educating so many...

Again, Mr. Wright, I am sorry.

April 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Tracey – yes, she would speak to Anderson that way – she appears to be frustrated with the media spin that's been going on for the last two months – every time something unfavorable comes out about Obama – Clinton gets blasted for it and gets painted as the "do anything" to win candidate – the media has been horribly biased and it has been Obama's campaign playing the race card and she's obviously tired of it – as are millions of Americans.

April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Brent

You haven't even scratched the surface on the Hagee issue with McCain. He preaches end of days theology. Thats the real reason he is such a strong supporter of Israel. He wants the US to make a pre-emptive strike on Iran to bring about the Armageddon. McCain says he courted Hagee's endorsement because of his strong support of Israel. Hagee doesn't believe in a two state solution, he believes in the "greater Israel" and is against land for peace. You people at CNN want to do so much coverage on Reverend Wright maybe you should donate half the amount of time on Hagee instead of your ten second blip about him. My guess is there would be many people outraged at many of his comments.

April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Emma, Australia

Well done to John King on keeping a straight face through that.

Tubbs Jones is certainly ... emphatic.

I'm always interested in what Holmes Norton has to say.

April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Michael, KS

Oh but Rep. Jones your candidate brings up the issue all the time!! That's what makes me sick about her! And I'm a little concerned about electing someone who consistently bashes her competition. What's it going to be like for 4 years if she becomes President? More bashing? No Thanks! I'll take Obama and if not then it will be McCain!

April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. ericacnn

Happy Friday, everyone!
    How 'bout John's new pic? 🙂

April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Janna

FLDS question, John or Erica, is mental abuse enough to separate a child from the parents or must it be physical? Has this been discussed?

April 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Christine

I have already seen the sound bite from Congressman James Clyburn (D-SC). It sickens me that a respected member of congress would come out with such a foolish statement just to try and end Hillary's run for nominee. Well I feel I must now gather people to go to my congressman and complain about blacks voting for Obama only because he is black and him letting it go without comment is ruining the Democratic Party. All fair play.

April 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Tracey – I think Congresswoman Tubbs Jones would (and possibly has) talked to Anderson like but I could be wrong. Although the way she was with John, she was like that on Colbert Report as well

I much prefer to hear from Rep. Norton at least she seems civil

April 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  10. johncnn

as you can see, this is an emotional issue. and the tension between the two congresswomen reflects the tensions between the clinton and obama campaigns.

April 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Jacqui Chan

Yeah Tracey, When Anderson comes back we should blog in and tell him to take care of this and defend his college!
    I have seen her speak on 360 b4 and she was very sweet and likeable mayb we caught her on an off night?!

April 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Tricia- NH

Thank You Rep Tubbs-Jones!

April 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

Huckabee was very honest today

I suggest that everyone read the entire sermon..then make an educated decision.

April 25, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

It's not about guilt by association – if a person claims to be a uniter and then goes to a separatist type of church – it shows an inconsistency between his acts and his words – that's what's relevant – also Obama claiming he never heard these statements (when he wrote about some of them in his books) is not credible

April 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Amy, Philly, PA

I thought Bill Moyers had a great interview with Rev. Wright. It really put the man into proper context. It's good to see there is still one responsible journalist around.

April 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Jason-Riverview, FL

Go AHEAD Stephanie Tubbs...Somebody need to Set these Media Goons straight..Sorry John King, but you had to take one for the Team...How they are going to Blame HIllary Clinton for this?

April 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Jacob

John King,

It is true what Rep Jones says. The superdelegates have asked Clinton campaign about the Wright – Obama scandal. I heard her say this to Anderson and other CNN hosts over the past month.

April 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Tracey - Boston

Woah...Would Rep Stephanie Tubbs Jones talk that way to Anderson?

April 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Jacqui Chan

WOW she yelled at John King – uh-oh

April 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Kathy

Why is this raising it's ugly head again? I'm sick of all the spinning...I'm dizzy already! Rev Wright spoke..Obama disagreed..why are we still on this?

April 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

I guess I should have said Congresswoman Tubbs – still my hero

April 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  22. DAnne

They can understand perfectly why he would stay. They don't listen or pay attention. As Wright said once people are told lies long enough, they start to believe them. I go to college in a small city that could be called a big town (majority white people) and I have heard some things from white Pastors that could be interpreted as racist. So please don't give me that "they don't understand" stuff.

April 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

You are my hero, Congressman Tubbs

April 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Jacob

I don't think we should hold Obama accountable by "Guilt by Association". However, shouldn't we take into consideration that Obama was very close with him. How can Obama, his wife, and children be influence in their views about what Wright has been preaching for 20 years.

Why doesn't the pastor just apologize for the remarks. Just say I am sorry for saying God D* America.

April 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

In his interview, Wright said Obama's speech on race in Philadelphia was a politician saying what he has to say.

April 25, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Brian

I watched the conversation with Bill Moyer and Rev. Jermiah right this evening. While I think his messages within his sermons are quite strong, I can honestly say I understand there is so much more to him and his words.

The nippets on YouTube did an injustice to the full message he was trying to convey. To Rev. Wright, Mr. Obama, their church and their followers, I apologize on behalf of me an my family that had looked at your words in disdain without knowing the whole story.

Again, I am sorry.

April 25, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Jacqui Chan

Stacy THANK U!

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Carmen, Marina, CA

Jacqui Chan...PBS show with Rev. Wright is on tonight, check your local PBS listings.

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Cindy

So is John in NY or Washington?

I really could care less about the Wright thing. We have been through this before.

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Tricia- NH

McCain has a pastor problem, too. Looks like Hillary's the only one who doesn't!
    One more reason to vote for her!

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Jacqui Chan

not a republican but I feel i can trust McCain.
    If he picks Huckabee as his running mate it will be a nightmare!!!

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Paolo

In the same way Barrack Obama and Wright have different, independent minds, same as John McCain and the North Carolina GOP. At least we see McCain denouncing that party's capaign ad plans.

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Stacy

McCain gets the best of both worlds here, doesn't he? He gets to be the good guy and the ad still airs.

April 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  34. karin dicker

John – and others – why is no one playing John Hagee's remarks about God doing Katrina because of sin and that Catholics are whores. Why is no one pounding McCain like they are Obama. Remember Hagee, Falwell and the Keating 5??? you need to be fair.

April 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Tracey - Boston

the interview looks like it's: Moyers

April 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Jacqui Chan

I hope they do not show the chickens coming home to roust _ I have seen it 1000x

April 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Stacy

@Jacqui Chan: It's Bill Moyers Journal on PBS. As they say, check your local listings.

April 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Paolo

Hello John,

Nice to see you. I don't think Wright will do long term damage to Obama's campaign. We've seen polls weeks ago and it shows that Hillary Clinton was hurt more.

April 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Tracey - Boston

Looks like John is in DC

April 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Jacqui Chan

yeah Minou, mayb Erica will get a chance 2 use the magic board while John hosts 360

April 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Stacy

I'm sorry, but I don't really care what Wright has to say. Obama has already made his position clear. Can't we talk about the actual issues?

April 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Lukas

Where is God in 9/11? And Wright says the "Chickens come home to roost". Is this how the Pastor told his flock where God is....

Wow!

April 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Jacqui Chan

could some1 on here please tell me from what pbs show is this interview. I would like to c it in it's entirety.

April 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Lukas

Good Evening John and Erica,

We don't cling to just a small piece of history. We have learned and are taught the truth. Why do Obama and Wright keep pushing this theory that american people "cling" to the wrong things such as God, wrong history, guns, etc.

April 25, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Hi John, good to see you!
    Missing your magic map thingamagic yet?

April 25, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Jacqui Chan

how come webcam is off? we r not allowed to watch John?!?

April 25, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Kathy

Looking forward to it. Welcome! You are "among the best in the nation at analyzing political trends"

April 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Carmen, Marina, CA

Hi, y'all! Good Friday evening. Looking forward to the program and blog.

April 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening John, Erica and bloggees. Happy Friday!!!!!!

John, very cool nickname bestowed upon you by Larry King. Nice to see you back in the anchor chair

April 25, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. johncnn

happy friday everyone.

a packed show tonight ... off we go

April 25, 2008 at 9:58 pm |