April 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/24/08

Tonight, for the first time since his words nearly derailed Sen. Obama’s campaign, Reverend Jeremiah Wright is speaking out.  He responds to critics and comments on how Obama handled him.  We’ll have extended clips so you get the full context of his statements.

Also, we’ll put Sen. Hillary Clinton’s math to the test.  Is she really ahead in popular votes like she says she is?  And how will that impact the superdelegates?

And heartbreak in Texas as the children of Warren Jeffs’ polygamous ranch were bused away to foster care.  Should they be separated from their parents?  And who actually made the call that triggered the raid?  Gary Tuchman has new details on the woman who may be responsible.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janna

Jeffrey, do we know yet if other forms of child abuse (besides statutory rape) are being investigated?

April 24, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Jackie, Allen TX

Regarding Rev. Wright discussion on 360 tonight, I believe all the commentators should be required to listen the the sermons in their entirety in order to have any kind of credibility to discuss. Many viewers are depending on their insights and anlysis and they don’t seem as prepared as they could/should be.

April 24, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Karen

These kids probably do need saving from their situation at the FLDS ranch, but, unfortunately, I think the road will get tougher for them before it can get better. It sounds like they will have a tough time coping with life outside the confines of their homes.

April 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Mike from Syracuse NY

At what point does a religion become a cult or mass insanity? Do we have to wait until a Jim Jones moment to break up the FLDS?

April 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  5. CJ

I feel soo sorry for those children. I can not imagine any man wanting to father a child with a child especially one that is 13 years old. That is so very sick

April 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Lesli

I wonder if the state will call doctors to speak as to the damage of this way of raising children – without a strong single parent bond, to help win its case to keep the children away from their parent.

I think this would be a pretty strong arguement. Like you Erica, I couldn't imagine not being allowed the special bond I developed with my children from the moment they were born.

April 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  7. ericacnn

It is heartbreaking, Janna, I agree – for mother and child both.

April 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Jacqui Chan

what does Jeffrey mean in his blog just now when he said alien culture in referance to Obama?

April 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jeffrey: If the court finds that these pregnant underage girls were willingly handed over by their mothers to these older men can the mothers be charged with anything?

April 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Cynthia

I hope that this does get posted. On the Reverend Wright issue has anyone ever listened to the complete sermon or just the snippets shown on the news? I believe that some of you would have a different view of most if it if you were to listen to a complete sermon or at least a couple of sentences before and after the statements that were offensive. The one that I saw was a quote that he was making by someone else. There is an article in the Chicago Tribune that says that Rev. Wright was in the Marine and a Navy corpsman who in 1966 cared for President Lyndon B. Johnson after his surgery in 1966 and for his service on the team that cared for the President received three letters of recommendation. We all need to start reading and researching for ourselves.

April 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Lloyd

If I could talk to Rev Wright I'd say: Dear Revrend Wright...You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say CAN and WIll be used against you! For the love of God, please just shut-up and stop providing the press sound- bites. Do you really believe that any of Barack's opponents are actually listening to you in a manner that makes them want to support you?

April 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  12. CaseyJPS - California

Jo Ann, Ohio>It's not anyone's right to judge what religion is "valid" and what religion is not.

April 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

if nothing else these DNA tests will help the children get the proper documentation i.e. birth certificates

April 24, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Janna

How horrible to not be ALLOWED to have a personal bond with your child! As a mother, I find that heartbreaking.

April 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Tim

I agree with CJ, but maybe Obama, like Clinton, should count "spook" votes and claim the undecided votes in Michigan as his name was not on the ballot, and, I believe, those votes exceeded the ones for Clinton.

April 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Zane Thomas

FLORIDA had a record turnout! And they voted along the same demograhic lines as we are seeing nationwide. So I am confident the results today would be much the same... in fact, after the mishaps on the Obama side it would probably be worse if there were another vote. I think the results of the initail primary should stand.

April 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. ericacnn

Carolyn Jessup has such insight on this story, and it is fasincating to me.

I cannot imagine NOT bonding with my own child, not being allowed to do so. I continue to learn so much about the FLDS...

April 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Lesli

The situation for these children is heart rendering, but if I were in some situation where my children had been taken from me, and I felt that I hadn't done anything wrong, I sure would be one of the first to have DNA testing to prove I was the parent, so I'd be at the front of the line to get my kid back.

Its like these people are say that my values are more important than the welfare of my kids. If they want to do the right thing for their kids then take the test and get them home.

Seems to me the reason not to take the DNA test is that it would reveal something that could result in evidence against these people.

April 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. CaseyJPS - California

I like Carolyn Jessop, she's very credible and the least shakey of all those former members we've heard from.

April 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  20. CJ

Thats what I though Lorie, but from what I am hearing they entered the compound on good faith thus anything discovered will go forward.

April 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Chuck in Alabama

I"m waiting for them to discover that some of the husbands and wives are related.

April 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Jacqui Chan

Jeffrey, will you consider asking the lds Mom's about the lost boys??

April 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  23. lukas

Obama sought out Wright and his church because he needed that communities support before running for the IL state senate. Obama didn't seek out Wright for his own salvation.

Wrights church provided the path and support he needed in IL to begin his political career.

April 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Won't a search warrant obtained on false reports knock out the case?

April 24, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jeffrey: Great to see you on the blog again! I appreciate all of your input, you are a prolific blogger!

I know we have freedom of religion, but where do you draw the line between a religion and just bunch of nuts? It seems like any group can claim that they are a religion and do whatever they please.

April 24, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Anna in AZ

Wow, I can not beleive the Rev is actually doing this. I agree with David G (I can't believe I am )
    My friend and I were just disscussing this and the only good thing about this ad is it may tone down the soon to be aired republican ad in N Carolina. This ad runs as questioning a man who is running for Gov who endorsed Obama. Otherwise I think this most likely be spun over and over and over again. Bill O'rielly is already at it.

April 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Shannon from Washington

Hillary signed a document with the DNC that Florida and Michigan would not count. I do not understand how anyone can say that her math is now "fuzzy". It is pure lying and manipulation – there is nothing fuzzy about it. She wants to cheat and not follow the rules she agreed to play by. The mere notion that Michigan would count is ridiculous as Obama wasn't on the ballot because he did follow the agreement. I wish CNN would stop perpetuating this myth of Senator Clinton's.

April 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. CJ

Wow, I knew that was coming! Erica do you know if they will actually proceed with the criminal case against them?, and how successful could the be in that process, any speculation on that?

April 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Tracey - Boston

I feel bad for the kids going into foster care but until maternity and paternity can be settled it is probably the best.

Good Evening Jeffrey,

I have a question, what could happen if it is discovered that there is incest and that multi-families have the same father?

April 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Lesli

Fay, I did hear him denounce some of the supporters he has received.

April 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Renee

The mothers probably want to know who belongs to who anyway. I commend the state of TX.

April 24, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Mike from Syracuse NY

How is it that several other states were allowed to move up their primaries with DNC approval and others weren't?

April 24, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Lesli

Kati

I believe I heard McCain speak for himself saying he did not pursue the endorsment, and that candidates can't choose who endorses them.

April 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Yvonne

When this election is written down in the history books, people will look back and see injustice in action.

April 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  35. olivia

Tom,

If Rev Wright preached every week like he did on 9/16/01, believe me we would know it. If you would listen to the entire sermon like I have you would understand he wasn't preaching the damnation of America. Since his sermons are on CDs the media would have aired all of his sermons which mirrored the 9/16/01 sermon. I wouldn't have left a church because of one sermon, even if I had been sitting in the pews, because I would have understood his anger and pain.

April 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Elle

If Dean getsoff the hook not counting MI and Fl ,then he can collect his pink slip after the election in November because if Obama gets the nomination under those circumstances ,he will loose to McCain.
    Unite and be democratic before you send a nominee to November.
    Not seating is undemocratic and will resullt in chaos .

April 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  37. CJ

Amen Lorie, they will go through months of briefings to bring them up to date on all aspects of the government ..

April 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, Ohio

Who are these voters that Obama is trying to appeal to anyways? He isn't going to get the McCain votes because the Republicans who think McCain is not conservative enough will never vote for Obama or Clinton and he isn't going to get enough of the Clinton supporters to make a difference because he has done everything he could to insult and alienate most of them.

April 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. kati

Lesli
    Senator MCCain SOUGHT out the endorsement of Pastor John Haggee, not vise-versa. Big difference when judging the men the senator CHOOSES to have around him.

April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Kathy

I think Florida and Michigan should re vote. People may have stayed home knowing that their votes would not be counted.
    Except by Hillary of course.

April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Tony

Damn! It's time for Hillary to go... I'm sick of her and her attempts at trying to convince people that he is ahead in the popular vote...

All democratic candidates agreed that both Florida and Michigan would not count because they moved their primaries up without the consent of the DNC. Hillary will cheat, steal, and lie to try and get the democratic nomination.

I think now is the time for all the super delegates to commit their support for Barack Obama.

April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Lukas

IF Obama was down in pledged delegates, I think he would want that revote in MI.

April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. CJ

The fuzzy math thing is interesting.. If Hillary counts MI and Fl votes, then Obama should beable to count the caucus votes.. which according to CNN numbers it puts him ahead by 500K

April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Jolene

Oh, I hope there is not going to be a "Mini" convention. That would be way over the top, IMO. Besides that, they probably don't have enough time to plan one.

April 24, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think any candidate can claim that on day one they will be all knowing. All three would have a very hard job to jump into. A job that will take some months to get up to speed, on the true scope of it all.

April 24, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Fay, CA

Try not to tar McCain with the values of others who support him. He cannot be held accountable for these people.

I'd like to at least hear him denounce some of their more outrageous comments like Obama did with Wright.

April 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Mike from Syracuse NY

Dean wants this decided so he gets off the hook on not counting MI and FL.

April 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Lesli

Stacy, your point is good too.

April 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Tracey - Boston

The division of Church and state goes back to England and the Catholic Church.

The church used to rule over kings and queens but since Henry VIII that is no longer the case. The state can't tell what the Church to do and the Church can't interfere with the State and it's affairs

April 24, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Lukas

Dear Erica,

Don't you think that FL popular vote should be counted.

I mean that the pledged delegates really don't represent the democratic voters. For example, in Texas Hillary won 4% more but Obama won more delegates in Texas than Hillary.

Also, this comment of "States Most Won" is crazy. Each state is not created equal – why do you think we have the electoral college and in the House of Representatives have more officials for larger states.

April 24, 2008 at 10:31 pm |