April 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/24/08

Tonight, for the first time since his words nearly derailed Sen. Obama’s campaign, Reverend Jeremiah Wright is speaking out.  He responds to critics and comments on how Obama handled him.  We’ll have extended clips so you get the full context of his statements.

Also, we’ll put Sen. Hillary Clinton’s math to the test.  Is she really ahead in popular votes like she says she is?  And how will that impact the superdelegates?

And heartbreak in Texas as the children of Warren Jeffs’ polygamous ranch were bused away to foster care.  Should they be separated from their parents?  And who actually made the call that triggered the raid?  Gary Tuchman has new details on the woman who may be responsible.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Lol, I was looking at the signs behind Hillary's head that read "Solutions for a strong military," but for a second I could've sworn that they read "Solutions for a strong Hillary." Whew, it's Friday eve...

April 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Michigan and Florida broke the rules and as of right now dont count....Hillary is using fuzzy math

April 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Chuck in Alabama

She has received "more" votes. She's not lying.

She has not received more votes sanctioned by the DNC

April 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Hey thanks, Carmen. Glad to hear you have such good taste!

April 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Stacy

@Lesli: Actually a good way to judge the candidates is how they have voted in the past and what they support now. John McCain doesn't even support the new GI Bill.

April 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Shannon from Washington

I appreciate you mentioning that he has been confirmed out of town during this controversial sermon. It is tiring to hear so many people believe he lied about it. I was waiting for some confirmation.

April 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  7. cheryl

thanks for expalining what C & E meant Renee. I was alittle confused

April 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  8. kati

If Roland is the only one on the panel who has listened to the snippet speeches in their entirity, why is everyone trying to shhhh him? Maybe we all should listen to them on CNN and make up our mind like he suggested. Or, we could listen to Bill Moyer's on Friday and see the complete interview.

April 24, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  9. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck, remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) it was an "undercover" camera that shot Rev Wright giving a "sermon," and we still haven't seen the whole thing (at least I haven't). I don;t think he has crossed the line with support of Obama, yet. Do you?

April 24, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  10. JoeSky

"he says what he has to say as a politician. I say what I have to say as a pastor. what happened in Philadelphia where he had to respond to the sound bytes, he responded as a politician."

This is the most damaging comment that Wright can say about Obama.

It opened a door to a new round of discussion. Obama said he condemned Wright's controversial words. But if he said what he has to say as a politician, what Obama truly believe then? Does Obama share the same view as Rev. Wright in condemning America?

April 24, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  11. CaseyJPS - California

Erica-really, that was soooo cliche' (the dog thing). You always make me laugh!! Thank you!

April 24, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Lesli

Fay,

Because someone supports McCain does not mean that McCain shares their faith and opinions. Try not to tar McCain with the values of others who support him. He cannot be held accountable for these people.

Instead look at who he surrounds himself with – this is the way to judge all of the candidates.

April 24, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Renee

Jacqui: Sorry too many abbreviations. A C & E church member in my mind is a person who only goes to church on Christmas and Easter. Other than that they are absent in the pews. Maybe...maybe Obama supposed the church financially and in spirit but only attended on C & E.

April 24, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Tracey - Boston

My priest back home, is very liberal...his words. But when it comes to give a sermon...politics is not mentioned at all. One on one...he'll be glad to discuss his disgust with the current administration and the death of his nephew last year.

April 24, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  15. JEFFREY TOOBIN

InterestIng observation, Chuck. It's true that churches - or any kind of tax-exempt organization - cannot participate directly in politics. It's clear, for example, that a pastor can't endorse a candidate from the pulpit. But after that, the rules are a lot more flexible. Many pastors of all denominations take strong stands. (Look, for example, of the so-called Christian right - led by people like Rev. Robertson and the late Rev. Falwell.) The IRS usually doesn't crack down on this kind of behavior (although there have been some recent cases.)

April 24, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Tom

Even though other religious leaders said the same thing as Wright did about 9/11 I think the big difference between them and Rev. Wright is that as far as we know Hillary or McCain weren't sitting in their pews for 20 years. Obama did listen to Rev. Wright for 20 years and a speech on race is nice but still doesn't explain why he stayed in that particular Church for 20 years.

April 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Jason-Riverview, FL

Roland Martin and Rev. Wright is doing Obama NO justice...Another reason we should REALLY think about "JUDGEMENT" when we vote... Hope and Speeches go away... Solutions is what REALLY counts...

April 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jacob: Based on what I heard, it sounds like Wright is saying that Obama is saying what he needs to say in order to be elected which makes him the typical politician he claims that he is not.

April 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Chuck in Alabama

Edward, You are correct. As I recall, both of those two took some heat for their comments also.

April 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Carmen, Marina, CA

Jeffrey Toobin.....I love your legal analyses of ANY topic, anytime! So glad you are on the program and blog this evening. Keep up the really great work you do. You are one of my favorite commentators on CNN. Go, Jeffrey!

April 24, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Mike from Syracuse NY

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell took heat for their comments too, and they didn't have a Presidential candidate sitting in the pews.

April 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Kathy, Chicago

What happened to the division of Church and State. A Church should worship God, not incite riots and damn America. I don't believe that Obama was not influenced by Rev. Wright's sermons.

April 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Mr Sosa - FL

An angle that needs to be well vetted. Good point Edwards

April 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Elle

Carmen ,agreed fully Roland needs to be more balanced and calmer when responding about Obama.

April 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Jacqui Chan

I wondered if Reverend Wright was really on vacation or if the Obama camp hid him; awkward timing especially now that he chooses to speak out

April 24, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Chuck in Alabama

Funny thing, I'm not as worried about Obama's ethnicity as he is.

Race wasn't an issue on a large scale in this race until the media mentioned the "black vote."

April 24, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Teresa, OH

Im being serious when I say this:

I do believe that Rev. Wright prayed to HIS god and he must have felt this was the best thing to do to rectify the situation for himself and Obama. If I were Wright, I wouldn't want the publics' image of me to be my legacy.

April 24, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  28. ericacnn

Jeffrey, I agree that the analysis of Wright at this point is a losing battle.

April 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Elle

Church is guidance ...Roland is getting so heated over Obama and his defense for him.
    If a pastor is guidance that Wright is on the wrong course and the judgment issue facing Obama can not be brushed aside .

April 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  30. CaseyJPS - California

Christina>A true patriot would defend Rev Wright's right to speak!

April 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Fay, CA

If we are going to judge Obama by the words of his former pastor, then I certainly hope John McCain's associations with "religious" figures who have also made disturbing comments will get an equal amount of scrutiny.

April 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Edward Childers

While watching the discussion regarding Rev. Wright I couldn't believe that no one brought up the fact that ministers on the other side of the political spectrum said essentially the same thing as Rev. Wright regarding the reasons for the attack on Sept 11. Pat Robertson and the late Jerry Falwell made comments saying that Americans were somehow guilty for the attacks.

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Jacob

Roland – Didn't Obama said let's heal this country but you Obama supporters keep bringing up the American Indians and other bad things with US government.

ROland: STOP ALREADY!

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. ericacnn

Ha! Exactly, like Christmas Eve, my friend 🙂

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Jacqui Chan

Renee, I am unaware, just what is a c&e member? Maybe I know but not by those initials

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Rev. Wright should do the wise thing and become a hermit in Canada for a few long years. His big mouth combined with Obama's "bitter" comment is only making this situation worse for the prospective Dem nominee. I'd like to think that this is just one huge misunderstanding, considering that, like CaseyJPS said, we don't have both sides. We only see what is presented to us (though CNN is doing a superb job of it), and soundbytes are not enough to condemn a man.

Lol, Roland, no one can win a theological debate.

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Chuck in Alabama

UH.. Where I got to church, we go to share fellowship in the word of God, not to listen to politics.

I thought it was against tax law to use the pulpit for political reasons?

Am I right Jeffrey?

April 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck>R u reading my mind? (Congratulations on the thought (that crossed your mind!)

April 24, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Carmen, Marina, CA

Rowland Martin needs to be more balanced, also Jamal Simmons when he is on. Both seemingly always defend Obama, no matter what. I much prefer David Gergen who speaks equally on the topics...pro and con. I enjoy the balance.

April 24, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Renee

I love Tony Perkins. He is very straight forward and easy to understand. Obama may have sat for 20 Christmases and 20 Easters but was he sleeping the rest of the time?

April 24, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Jacob

Tony Perkins: The purpose of preaching is to influence and inspire us to Salvation. But Roland is only thinking of getting Obama elected. Roland doesn't care about salvation.

Erica: Obama read about Wrights comments in Rolling Stone Magazine. He knew about some comments.

April 24, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Chuck in Alabama: I am in complete agreement with you, but no interpretation is needed. The words speak for themselves. What a coincidence that Obama uses the same "I'm being misunderstood" excuse that Wright is giving? I guess he learned well at the feet of the Master.

I think Wright just threw Obama under the bus.

April 24, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. JEFFREY TOOBIN

E - Oh, maybe you were saying it's the eve of Friday. Sort of like Christmas eve. Sorry!

April 24, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Christina, Notre Dame, IN

Anyone who is seriously offended by what Reverend Wright said should be embarassed. If you listen to the entire sermon you can definitely appreciate his perspective and his argument. There are so many Americans who are supersensitive and blindly patriotic, and these traits have done and will continue to do real damage to our country.

April 24, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it's a little unfair for Rev Wright to assume the media blew this all up. I don't think he's helping Obama by suggesting he's just a politician. Like he'd say anything to get elected..

April 24, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

Maybe one day just one day in this Country we can all get along. Roland only speaks about what he has confirmed and vetted very carefully.

April 24, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  47. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Erica - You're in the hurry for the weekend. It's Thursday, for better or worse.

April 24, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. JEFFREY TOOBIN

I think Lesli is right. The only thing Obama can do at this point is talk about the issues. Analyzing what Wright says at this point is a losing situation. I also think there may be some sympathy for Obama having to deal with this situation - although others may simply see Obama as reflective of an alien culture.

April 24, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening Erica....thank goodness it is almost Friday

April 24, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Chuck in Alabama

A thought just crossed my mind. (yeah, it happens) Those same people who are so involved in believing this message (not only at Wright's church) have had the ability to vote without fear for over 50 years. Why have they waited until Obama came along to get involved in the process?

April 24, 2008 at 10:16 pm |