April 24th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/24/08

Tonight, for the first time since his words nearly derailed Sen. Obama’s campaign, Reverend Jeremiah Wright is speaking out.  He responds to critics and comments on how Obama handled him.  We’ll have extended clips so you get the full context of his statements.

Also, we’ll put Sen. Hillary Clinton’s math to the test.  Is she really ahead in popular votes like she says she is?  And how will that impact the superdelegates?

And heartbreak in Texas as the children of Warren Jeffs’ polygamous ranch were bused away to foster care.  Should they be separated from their parents?  And who actually made the call that triggered the raid?  Gary Tuchman has new details on the woman who may be responsible.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

Thanks, Casey, that is always our MO - to be fair, not to take sides. It's up to you to decide how you feel about issues - and not just the political ones. I'm confident you're all wise enough to make up your own minds

April 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. CaseyJPS - California

Speaking out is not un-American.

April 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Kathy, Florida

Hi Erica!!!! Nice to see a sweet face!!

April 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Stacy

@Jolene: We can't know for sure, but you can rarely go wrong with Bill Moyers.

April 24, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Marcia, Warren MI

Fay the problem is that I don't think Obama's people understand what is important to the American people – they spend more time on damage control than on the issues.

April 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Renee

Good idea Tom. After this election we may have to have a national campaign to reform election laws so the Independents can vote in the primaries in 50 states. This is ridiculous how Ind. can vote in one state and not in others.

April 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. CaseyJPS - California

Carla>I like the way you think!

April 24, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Mike from Syracuse NY

Instead of arguing what was said in or out of context, why not play the whole thing and let us decide. Personally, I find it hard to believe a context where some of those statements aren't outright racist and unamerican.

April 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Carmen, Marina, CA

I absolutely agree that Wright is hurting Obama. Why now? Why say what he said? He could have remained silent or couched his language better to not shed a negative light on Obama which I think he has done. I am a HIllary fan, but I am not at all interested in seeing Obama go down in flames.

April 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  10. ericacnn

Evening, bloggers! Hope you are all well on this Friday Eve...

April 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  11. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Evening folks - I'm here to talk about the FLDS in Texas, or anything else that's on your minds.

April 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Jacqui Chan

Being that Obama did not disown his reverend, I think it may be possible that this interview was not completely done without Obama or the campains okaying it 1st

April 24, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  13. CaseyJPS - California

Renee>I think as long as we watch (and participate in) 360, we have to be as open as 360 attempts to be; we're always going to get both sides. You and I mt not like it, but it's fair and it is important to get another perspective.

April 24, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Lesli

Rene I agree with you whole heartedly.

RC Lendz, Great question, I thought the same thing.

April 24, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Fay, CA

It's obvious that the Reverend Wright story is not going to die and there's not much Obama can do about it–he should just stay focused on the other issues that are important to voters.

April 24, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Paolo

Hello everyone,

David makes a good point. Had Wright come out to his defence earlier, it may have mitigated the damage done a bit more.

April 24, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Carla Ontario Canada

I think we are in the "SPIN CYCLE" again. Gergen is absolutely
    right, Rev. Wright will not help Obama. Rev. Wright just wants his 15mins of fame and probably a book deal to boot!
    Go Hillary!

April 24, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Tom

Between Reverend Wright insulting America and Obama insulting me as a working class American I think I might just leave the Democratic Party completely and become an Independent.

April 24, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Jacqui Chan

I tuned in a-bit late. I know the Jerry Wright interview is from pbs.
    Can ne1 tell me what show it is from?

April 24, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Mr Sosa - FL

Chuck in Alabama, i do not agree with you. It is quite irritating to watch one's comment contorted and so dragged out of context to fit the next agenda. Please, this insults intellect.

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Lukas

Rowan is wrong. Wright did MAKE those statements. I seen them many many times.

Rowan is trying to justify and defend Wrights statements.
    I am glad that they were recorded so that no one can deny those statements.

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  22. mona

It does not matter what reverend Wright say either way this things goes, they will nail BO on it. I wish reverend wright would lay low.

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Jolene

Why did Rev. Wright pick PBS to be the means to finally speak out?

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Tricia- NH

Hmm-A pastor speaks to the people in his congregation-a politician speaks to get votes. Wright said the two speak to different audiences....you mean Americans? or American voters?

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Carmen, Marina, CA

I don't agree with the Hagee/Parsley endorsements of McCain because of their very biased and hateful view of alot of people. However, having an endorsement from a reprehensible person is very different than Obama going to a church for 20 years of a pastor with anti-american views, anti-Jewish, Italian, etc. It simply cals into question Obama's character. Like it or not.

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, Ohio

Wright is doing McCain a great favor, he is driving Clinton's supporters right into his camp!

April 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen is right. The whole Rev Wright sermon will be on everyone's mind..Front and center again.

April 24, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Renee

Jo Ann: I am about sick of Roland defending Obama and Wright everynight.

April 24, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  29. RC Lendz Philadelphia, PA

So, my question is, when is the Obamedia going to spin Rev. Wright's finally speaking as a Clinton tactic?

April 24, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Carl, Mississippi

David Gergan is absolutely right... Reverand Wright is a little to late to be speaking out on what happened two months ago... his coming out defending what he said is going to help Hillary and just might send a message to the superdelagates to change their minds on who to back...Wright is hurting Obama!!

April 24, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Chuck in Alabama

Just as Rev. Wright has a right to speak his piece, we have a right to interpret it as we will.

April 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Shane, Kentucky

I think he can speak when he wants to. It's the media and the people that have made entirely too much out of it. None of us were even there.

April 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Of course it is pandering! I am not surprised by what Roland said, he always makes excuses for Obama and Wright. Gergen is absolutely right.

April 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck>Good point.

April 24, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Mr Sosa - FL

Another botched attempt at redemption. I think Rev Wright misjudged mainstream America. It's not a stretch of the imagination to assume the average American ignores all but red flags while listening to the media – and Mr Wright just got those bells ringing again, further festering this cancerous rift.

April 24, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I don't believe John Hagee is John McCain's pastor. He has just shown support for McCain

April 24, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Chuck in Alabama

HMMM? Politicians and Pastors speak to two different audiences?

Have Roland define "Two different audiences."

April 24, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Carmen, Marina, CA

It is fascinating and certainly unfortunate for Obama that Rev. Wright's interview with Bill Moyers is being highlighted today, on the heels of a rough few days for the Senator. I still do not know what to make of Wright/Obama. It seems, though, that Obama should have left the church well before he entered national politics. All of the issues play probably okay in Chicago, but the rest of America is perplexed, mad, anxious, etc. over what to make of this association.

April 24, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Renee

Gergen is Rev. Wright trying to boost his speaking fees? He lost a lot of income here in FL. Cancelled, cancelled.

April 24, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Jolene

Gergen's got a good point. Wright speaking out now does nothing but stir the pot for Obama.

April 24, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Marcia, Warren MI

Depends on what church you go to Casey. I agree with Gergen why did wright come out now.

April 24, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Teresa, OH

If Rev. Wright is only defending himself, I say go at it. If he thinks he is helping Obama, I think this is a bad move.

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Janice

Why does CNN think that this is a problem for Obama, when they do not appear to report similar problems for John McCain whose pastor, John Hagee, has made similar remarks.

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Chuck in Alabama

LOL, Good one David G! "What was he thinking?"

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It may have been soundbites, but the words were still spoken. If we are to move on, why does Reverend Wright want to bring it up all over again.

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Lesli

Casey, sorry, religion is my reality, the rest is just somewhere I live in my imagination.

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Renee

I am beginning to wonder if Obama is a C & E member.

April 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  48. CaseyJPS - California

Church is a good place for fellowship and support, but not reality.

April 24, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  49. Jolene

Hello everyone!

Well, Rev. Wright speaking out now should be interesting. Wonder why it took him so long to speak out.

April 24, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  50. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening.

It's Thursday!!!

Looking forward to hearing about from Rev Jeremiah Wright.

I understand where Obama is coming from while defending?? the Rev. According to the specials last week he didn't have a core belief system until he found that church. I totally understand that. I left my Church back in Michigan when I moved to Boston. It was my first church, I was only within the flock for a couple of years and I miss it terribly

April 24, 2008 at 10:01 pm |