April 24th, 2008

In for the Long Haul

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/24/art.hillary.in.jpg%5D

Leslie Sanchez
spokesman and deputy press secretary at the Republican National Committee during the 2000 presidential campaign,
Author, “Los Republicanos: Why Hispanics and Republicans Need Each Other.”
LeslieSanchez.com

Hillary Clinton now has everything she needs to take this to Denver , and I think she will. I've said before that it will take the “”Jaws of Life” to get her out of this race. Now, I wonder if even that could do it.

Increasingly it looks like there's going to be a smoke-filled back room somewhere in Denver, and she's going into that card game with a pretty strong hand. Pennsylvania’s results put her strongly back in the race. If she performs better than expected in North Carolina and wins Indiana, she will have made it nearly impossible for Democrats to come to a fast or easy nominating decision.

Another important point that cannot be ignored is that to raise money at historic levels (now over $420 million among the two) donors have emotionally invested in their candidate, despite what the pros may say. If this continues, it could well leave each of them no choice but to join forces, and that's a recipe for disaster, especially considering the things they've already said about each other.

This is the kind of fight that leaves deep, personal and emotional wounds, the kind that last for years. It is blood sport between two of the Democrats' most reliable constituencies, and these are the kind of conventions that set up rifts that go on for decades—like the Goldwater-Rockefeller fights of the 1960s that split the GOP in two. Hillary Clinton is in a better negotiating position than Barack Obama based on the things she has to offer: the vice presidency, cabinet posts and ambassadorial appointments, and, most importantly, the availability of her husband’s fundraising prowess. She may even wind up like Lyndon Johnson, able to force herself on Obama's ticket (she, the one who told us he wasn't ready for the office).

There’s an old saying that you don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. If it comes down to back room negotiations in Denver, and I still think it more likely than not, Obama is bringing a pen knife to the battle for Pork Chop Hill.

If that happens, it bodes well for John McCain, as long as he can assemble a ticket that looks more like a team than a combat zone.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Leslie Sanchez • Raw Politics
  1. David

Obama will be a great President... in 8 years- but not now we need experience

April 25, 2008 at 1:31 am |
  2. Jeanne Herren

loved em both 4 months ago... but seeing the allusions so easily conjured up by Hillary Houdini (a face for each state) I am disgusted with her ridiculous antics Hillary, how low can you go? Senator Obama has been more productive, adult, gracious, and PRESIDENTIAL from the get go. The media is causing me a major pain in my rump also. We do not need you guys to over analyze every damn word spoken by the candidates or their clergy. By the way what is with this new and apparently accepted way of telling a big lie? is it ok now if you just say that you MISPOKE! No wonder 60% of us don't trust this stoop to any level candidate!

April 25, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  3. Michelle

Obama is doing a commendable job of negotiating a very complex situation. Enough said.

I have no respect for Hillary. I agree that having Hillary as my VP would be my worst nightmare. I hope and pray Obama is forced to take her on board. Can anyone imagine her playing second fiddle as a VP? I would feel like I had to watch my back 24/7.

It would be a sad day for this country if Hillary became president. She is not demonstrating character, honesty, ethics, fairness, compassion, diplomacy and real strength. She does not focus on the common good but is driven by the narcissistic belief she has a right to the presidency no matter what. Her decisions are becoming more and more scary. It is equally frightening that there are citizens who consider her behavior appropriate and even exemplary. Hillary is a female bully. Why put a female version of what we've just endured for the last eight years back in the White House.

Obama 2005

April 25, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  4. edmond

hillary is the huckabee of the democratic party,too sad

April 25, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  5. Karen Clay

As media comments are reviewed since the Clinton win Tuesday, I'm reminded of listening to my older brother and his buddies talk about girls in the 1960's. And it occurs to me, men really haven't changed much.
    They talk about "closing the deal", "getting her off" in reference to Obama trying to overcome Clinton in the primaries.
    Clearly, the male (and female) media are stuck in a subtle mysoginy, unable to report the Democratic candidates with any level of equity.
    Do tell.
    In a reversed situation would Clinton be urged to "close the deal"?

April 24, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  6. Tony Pruitt

I was really happy when the race began. Because I thought we were growing up as a Country. But when it all said and done, its the same country that , REFUSE, to Unite. We make the same mistakes over and over again. I knew we were going to have high gas prices when Bush was voted in again for a second term. I knew we were going to be hated all over the world. Now I know we will never have a Black Man as President because any unfair story is an excuse and an opportunity to show the world how we Hate.

April 24, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  7. Gordon

What is interesting to me is how persons quite readily point out that Obama has a problem winning the vote of blue collar workers and this since Hillary is winning these hands down. The presumption is that in the general election Obama will have a problem winning their vote. But what I am at a loss to understand is how come none of these comentators are disposed to point out that Hillary Clinton is not winning the Black vote and that as a result she might not be able to win their vote in the General Election in November. Or are they thinking that black folks will vote for Hillary any how? I believe that this might very well turn out to be the greates miscalculation of the century! Taking the black votes for granted again?

April 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Kingsley

For Florida and Michigan, I think every game has its rules, just like basket ball, football and any other sport. I rememder Mr.Carvel made an sport analogy sometime back, the same person who want to change the rules. Sport games don't change the rules just because a particular team is loosing. So what i'm saying is that the Clintons and the Carvels should stick to the rules of the game and stop making thier own rules because they want to cheat as they've always want to do. If they've raised money, they should finance thier campaign because she's struggling.

April 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Kingsley

I think when we go to church, what we look for is not the pastor's social or political view. The meaning of the gospel influence in the word of God not any other. I've realised that people don't think for themselves, it's all about the media or hollywood that;s why people get depressed when they don't get influenced. I guess that's why they want to associate Rev. Wright to Obama. That tells me that noone is entitled to their views. If Obama was saying there is no God, I would have totally understood the association but with social and political issues......people grow up

April 24, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Indy Anna

Hillary speaks for me...

April 24, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Suzanne P.

Huckabee stayed in until McCain closed the deal by winning the required number of delegates he needed to be the nominee. I don't understand why some people don't want the Democrats to do the same – its like calling a football game in the 3rd quarter saying that its obvious which team will win. Maybe it is obvious but there has been a lot of things that have changed in the last of the race or the last of the game. Lets let time and the rest of the voters in the upcoming primaries decide and not call the game early.

Suzanne P.
    Knoxville TN

April 24, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  12. Mike

Obama has in fact closed the deal. He needs to get back on message and not go down to her down to her level. She is as responsible for the deaths of 4000+ American men and women as president Bush! The choices are simple, do we want a continuation of McBush-McClinton or hope.

I want hope!!
    Vote Obama

April 24, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  13. Joyce-Houston

Hilliary said from the very beginning she is in to win, She asked Obama to be her Vice President when she know she is behind, It is all about Power for she believe the Superdelegates will pick her no matter how many States Obama has won.
    The Rupublicans want Hilliary to win because they know John Mccain can beat her.

April 24, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  14. John Seth

I believe the Democratic Party will have itself first, and then, Mrs. Clinton to blame when they are defeated in the general election. Her absolute negativity, pandering to republican mindset and generally and effectively dividing the party.

And I also believe Hillary Clinton is destroying BOTH her Democratic party AND her political career. Because if she gets the nomination and subsequently, loses a large section of Dem voters, she would have effectively DENIED the Dems of their best chance at presidency and handed McCain an easy victory.

April 24, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  15. Leslie, La Jolla, CA

I am impressed with Hillary's willingness to go the distance. I have never seen an election year like this one. As a woman, I have seen the negative press she has been getting these past few months, and trust me I'm not the only female paying attention to the pro-Obama love fest with the media. If Obama ends up the nominee, I have a feeling alot of women are going to throw their support for McCain or just not vote. Either way, I don't think Obama stands a chance in a general election.

April 24, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  16. Cynthia

I can't wait until all the states have voted and the DNC seats the Florida and Michigan people in some equitable fashion so that both the Clinton and Obama camps are pleased. Then, we can get on about the business of beating the Republicans in November.

I have had a hard time of getting posted for what ever reason and hope that this does get posted.

April 24, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  17. Tom

I am a Republican; however, I've developed a certain affection for Hillary. She is a very strong person. I would probably vote for her in the general election except for the fact that her "fighting for America" is most likely to be "fighting against Conservative values" which I'm not for.

With that said, I can help her against Obama who I regard as VERY bad for our country. The spin on the votes to date is NOT that she has a larger popular vote (this is very debateable) or that she is "winning" the swing states. The real point is that she is ahead by X% and X votes in states that have made the difference in the past elections. Hillary needs to dementionalize this and say, "In Ohio, Penn, ect..., the states that have been "up for grabs", I've beaten Obama by X votes, X%. I know they feel that they've said this; however, the REALLY need to dementionalize this in terms of votes and percentage. Once again, it's great that Obama has won Nebraska by X votes; but, those extra votes don't mean much (wouldn't say this of course).

April 24, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  18. Ola M

This election is really getting to a point that it is a joke and it takes the american people for granted. It has defied all rules and it is starting to be divided in a way that everyone says it isn't. "Race" At this point everyone knows the only way Hillary can become President is by the Super delegates and they refuse to step in and put an end to this so that the party can get on with the real businss of the Republicans. I sincerely feel that the people should start a petition to the super delegates to end this now. Howard Dean need to get busy. I will be exploring the idea of trying to start a petition. If Hillary can start a petition for the people of North Carolina to insist that Obama agree to a 22nd Democratic debate then we can petition that she give up this insane idea of breaking the laws of the party to think she is intitled to the votes of Florida and Michigan when Obama was not on the ticket nor campaigned in the states. Okay folks get real and reverse this situation to say Clinton had the lead in everything as Obama has right now, Him being a black man and she being white, every media outlet and analyst, committee chairmen would be saying to him it over, we need to concentrate on the fall and every thing that counts shows there is "NO WAY YOU CAN WIN" legally. Call that racist. White men still want to play that game If this continues I am a registered Democrat but I will hope that John McCain will win because that will spell out that you wouldn't possible do anything in the office to benefit me if the Party could not end this nightmare of a campaign and Hillary is so selfish and "bitter" that this campaign was not a sweep that she does not have the repect for her party to get out.. Democrats WILL vote for Obama if he is elected, but keep it up and see what happens. We are tired.

April 24, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  19. rich

" I understand that Obama has the edge in delegates, but is that necessarily the true measure."

Yes* (*unless you or someone else has 100% accurate clairvoyance and can prove Obama would lose and Clinton would win, it does not make sense to change the rules of the game away from the delegate count).

Don't worry, the super-delegates are not as easily fooled by lies and pandering as many Americans.

April 24, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  20. Jane, Detroit, MI

Hillary Clinton disqualified herself today when she said she was ahead in popular votes. How can Americans continue to support such a blatant liar and cheater? I keep seeing the figure 67% of Americans find her untrustworthy, yet of those 67%, many still vote for her? I am afraid it has come down to childish reasons for supporting Hillary, because she is a white woman. Face it. I thought America was a civilized nation, but I guess I was wrong. Hillary has no honor whatsoever, and I will never support her.

April 24, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  21. Mike in NYC

Anthony wrote:

"Obama has already closed the deal."

Reality begs to differ.

"... the delegate counts show that there is absolutely no way Hillary can catch Obama in pledged delegates or popular votes."

Almost certainly true. But it doesn't change the fact of BO's sickly demographics, and what that says about his electability.

April 24, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  22. ray gardner

As a voter i sit back and watch both canadates on the campain trail.I listen and i waite as a proud dem for years i can say that my vote did'ent count.As i waite for june to come to see who is going to be the dems canadates for the white house to me if we do go to the convention without a wininer this country of ours will be torn for years.so i ask this question to you would it be worng if we did ask obama or clition to step down from the race.Would it be worng if we said obama please don't tear the party apart for you gain or to clition if we ask her to step down and not tear this country apart.as i waite for june to come how many people would vote for macain think you
    ray gardner dem from fla

April 24, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  23. Karen

Poor Hillary! She tooted how a win in Pennsylvania enforced her stance that she can win the big states in the general election and should therefore be the democratic presidential nominee. Didn't she know that Kerry won Pennsylvania in 2004 and still lost the presidential election? So much for that theory. Also, what's the deal with the flimsy guilt by association? I don't understand how she can hold Obama accountable for something someone said when he was only 8 years old? Talk about her reaching where no person has gone before and should never go again. Pitiful! Simply pitiful!

April 24, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  24. seah

It is never over until it is over

The majority of the people want Hillary, even more now.

April 24, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  25. jimmy vekmen

IT WILL TAKE A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO CHANGE THIS ANTIQUE SYSTEM. AND IT IS UNLIKELY TO CHANGE IN THE NEXT ONE HUNDRED YEARS. WYOMING, MONTANA ,RHODE ISLAND
    ALL HAVE TWO SENATORS AS DO NEW YORK AND CALIFORNIA
    AND ELECTORAL VOTES.

April 24, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  26. cindy

I cannot believe that Hillary is running this kind of campaign and at the same time people are supporting her. Is this what we teach our children that they should do whatever to make sure they win. What is this country turning into? How could somebody like her attack a fellow human being personally like that? I wonder what she is going to say to Obama when all this is over. She is not setting a good example to our kids and I wonder what type of president she will be with all her negativity on her opponent. Where is the morals?

April 24, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  27. jimmy vekmen

young voters dont seem to know or understand tthat the President is elected
    not by popular vote of the people as in most countries, BUT BY THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE MADE UP OF PEOPLE FROM THE SMALLEST STATES TO THE BIGGEST ONES. ...KOW WHAT?
    THE SMALLEST STATES HAVE AS MUCH CLOUT IN THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE AS THE BIGGEST LIKE NEW YORK AND CALIFORNIA. IN SIMPLEST TERMS....THE FEW PEOPLE IN THE SMALL STATES HAVE AS MUCH VOTING POWER. AS THE MILLIONS (20 TIMES THE POPLUATION) OF VOTERS IN THE BIG STATES. tHE ELECTORAL COLLEGE IS THE REASON AL GORE
    WITH MORE THAN A MILLION POPULAR VOTE MAJORITY LOST TO BUSH.

April 24, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  28. Ashley

Shanon, why are you blaming Obama for your votes not counting? They BOTH agreed to it, but Hilary did some decent spin to make it seem like Obama loved disinfranchising the votes there.

And I agree with you, Anthony 100%!

April 24, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  29. Irene Houst

I think that Obama should not even consider Hillary for the ticket. By trying to force her way on, she has created division in the party, and bad feelings. I used to at least like Hillary a little. As a woman, I used to like the idea of Hillary at least being vice president. Now, I would rather vote for Mc Cain than Hillary. At least he seems to have a little honor even if his overall supporters don't. Hillary has shown that she wants to win at all cost. All cost means at the expense of the Party, at the expense of the voters, and at the expense of anyone who gets in her way. She will say anything and threaten to do anything to get a vote.
    Frankly, I think Obama should chose Nancy Pelosi for vice president. She is intelligent and had significantly more "experience" than Hillary. And she is a woman!

April 24, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  30. Rosa Lina Q-Fogarty

WITH 92% OF BLACK VOTE GOING TO OBAMA, THERE IS NO QUESTION WHY THEY NEED HIM IN POWER

Unfortunately, like many other Blacks, the 92% voting for Obama are looking for a quick fix. Not willing to invest in their families, communities, or hold down jobs, these people simply want a hook up with a Black man to get their fix.

Certainly, many of those same people have been offered time and time again, government resources such as housing, food, shelter and more. But like everything else in their lives, these services have been taken for granted, misused, sold for cash, and left them in the same spot they were before.

I don't believe that the powerful and educated Blacks necessarily voted for Obama. Hillary has served the Black population well. She will continue to serve them as well as other populations in the United States.

Hillary knows people. She's travelled to over 80 countries to speak, to affect the leaders, to promote America. Yes, that includes Black Americans and Black business interests as well.

Hillary and Obama may have similar vision, but Hillary has the experience and know how to make things happen for America.
    To continue to compare them as though they are more equal than apart is a mistake for the Democratic party.

Hillary does need the Black vote. And, Hillary will deliver the goods.
    But Hillary will also expect the Black 92% to give back in some way.

VOTE HILLARY FOR RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT.

April 24, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  31. joe

Does it really matter anymore?

This reminds me of the nursery tale, "The Tortoise and the Hare", except it could be called "The Tortoise and the Hares." While the supposedly swifter candidates, Clinton and Obama, get sidetracked in various misadventures, McCain is plodding his way toward the finish line.

P.S. Does anyone remember hearing or reading the nursery tale for the first time? Nobody would have bet on the Tortoise at the beginning of the race.

April 24, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  32. Ilona from Alberta

It seems to be all about who can survive attack ads and negativity.......
    Well it was G.W. Bush last time and everyone would probably agree that doesn't make you a good President.
    It means that your publicist and campaign managers had what it takes...........some people are so limited in their judgement is is sad.

It's like "I'm gonna drink that beer because the commercial I seen on TV was funny" type of mentality.

April 24, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  33. bill

Comments about Pa and Indiana Dem voter importance in beating McCain in the fall (ie. why Hillary needs the nomination), seem to forget about voter apathy if Obama is not nominated. If Obama doesn't get the bid, after winning the popular vote, do you really think all that grass root support will just switch to Hillary? I think it will defeat more than candidate Obama. It will also likely mean that all that grass roots support for him, may just decide to stay home on election day...

April 24, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  34. ac

The media's blatant favoritism toward Obama is at this point ridiculous. The people of PA have shown that America does not want a president who has questionable people around him. Why is this so hard to get? The Democratic Party will have to answer how a guy like this got this far and why so many support him.

Obama likes to give speeches where he cannot be questioned, where he is not challenged. He is like a kid who does not get his way and does not want to play anymore.

And finally, smoke filled rooms – are you kidding? The process is the process and Obama supporters should not try to change the rules because they don't like how things are turning out and they're getting worried. The superdelegates vote how they want, end of story. And good for Hillary for staying in.

April 24, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  35. Anne

Never did any of my family, friends and neighbors ever feel we would turn on both Clinton's..not in a million years....can't stand to even look at either one of them anymore.Hillary is all for women's rights...yes but who wants to get to the top if you have to screw over every Tom, Dick, Harry and Sally to get there. I want
    a dem in office just as bad as the next person..but God forbid that Obama would ever have to be her VP.I wouldn't wishthat on my very worst enemy.

April 24, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

Oh, No – The dreaded "smoke – filled room"! Whoever thought the superdelegate thing was a good idea? It just seems so NOT "Democratic" for a small group of elites to have the ability to override the peoples' votes.

April 24, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  37. Daniel in Loganville, GA

I originally started off supporting Sen. Clinton however I started to rethink my choice beginning with Fl and Mi issue. If she was so concerned with the voters she would have fought prior to Sen. Obama taking the lead after Super Tuesday. Then from there was the sniper miss-speak (3 separate times) and lets not forget the more recent reminder her relationship with Palestine Liberation Organization recognized by the US government as a terrorist organization and the money they donated. The hospital story I over looked because a supporter gave her the story she repeated it. Even after all of this I was thinking a joint ticket in the general would even work for me. However since PA (and congrats Sen. Clinton) I am not liking the tone, every time she or her surrogates speak they include MI and FL in their count. When nothing has been decided. I guess they feel if they say it enough it will keep up the divide. I am almost ready to believe the spin that I have heard that she would rather ruin Sen. Obama’s chance to further her gain in 2012. This saddens me because the goal is to win the White House and defeat Sen. John McCain in November. I could go on but I won’t. I love my country and support the Democratic Party but I am very dismayed by the event of the past 15 months.

April 24, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  38. Niky

I agree with Anthony... the deal was closed after Super Tuesday! Some people just don't want to see that.

April 24, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  39. Mark, VA

I want to know why voters and delegates are not allowed to have second thoughts about a candidate, and in addition be seen as okay to have second thoughts. I think that Hillary Clinton is pointing out something that many of us feel now. Although it is late in the process it is never too late to ask the question: Who is most electable now in the States that Democrats need to win? I understand that Obama has the edge in delegates, but is that necessarily the true measure. What if a Democratic candidate had 2025 delegates before into the convention and then before the nomination we have doubts because we find out he/she is a member of a subversive group and is surely going to be beat in November. Are we to stand by and do nothing because the candidate has the required delegates? I hope not.

April 24, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  40. Larry

Does Obama ever wonder why he is getting like over 90% of the black vote and why they are voting for him? I've yet to see John King break down the black vote as he does the white vote.

April 24, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  41. Slater

Haha, remember before media, tv, internet and radio the nomination did not happen until the convention. Of course, most Americans have no clue, because they have no education about American history.

The way the race is going Dems are getting great publicity. Remember, Obama is new. If things come up, my analysis is that Americans are torn because of this and will have Hillary to fall back on. I think we are also processing who we feel will beat McCain.

If Obama can't get a certain sect of votes in EVERY state, then he is not the right candidate.

April 24, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  42. Bonnie/Florida

I do not understand why everyone is in such a hurry to get the nominating process over without a just conclusion. Every state in the country has a right to have their say. The process was set up so the primaries were all drawn out over several months when they should have been done on the same day and made it completely fair. The delegates should have been winner take all and not" one for you and two for me. " Just calm down and let it play out . When all is said and done whoever is the candidate with the nomination still has it all over McCain.

April 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  43. shannon

We the voters here in Mi. and Fla. are feeling more then slighted by our beloved DNC. The DNC knows the voters had no say in when these primaries were going to be held, but yet their so quick to not give our candidate her delegates or popular votes, and now we watch as Obama and the media attempt to push her out of a race that she would be the front runner of had our constitutional rights been awarded us. I and others have no intentions in Nov. to give our votes over to the same party that wouldn't acknowledge our right to vote. The fact that Hillary put her name on both ballots and Obama didn't only goes to show his in-experience, she knew us voters in both states had voices and she knew we wanted to be heard. Obama also knew we had voices, but he didn't want the world to hear what we had to say. The DNC had better wake up, because come Election Day their will be no other party to vote for then the one who didn't turn their back on us.
    The voters of Mi. and Fla. are more then enough to give the election to the GOP, we may not agree with their policies but we do all agree on one thing................our constitutional right to vote.

April 24, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  44. Dallas

I think we need a president that can will a good old fashion fight! GO HILLARY

April 24, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  45. Give her a break

All I ever hear nowadays is Hilliary being slammed! People wake up or grow up. Obama is not an angel by any means. Personally, we have had a man president forever and can count the awesome presidents on both our hands. Pathetic! Its time to give a woman a go. I have heard Obama's promises before and am not falling for it. What a shame. Im sure if Obama was white his support would not be as high.

April 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  46. Cindy

I think that everyone that thinks Hillary will just all of a sudden pull up and move over and give this nomination to Obama before the convention is just kidding themselves. There is just no way she is going to ever do that!! No matter what Dean or anyone else says I think she will go all the way until there is nothing else that she can do. She has gotten this far why should she give up?

April 24, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  47. Barb

Since the money was donated for Fl and MI to revote and Obama blocked it, I think if he wins this nomination I will Write Clintons name in. Just to protest the DNC and it's rules.

Barb-ID

April 24, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  48. Anthony

I must say that I am completely and utterly appalled regarding the current statement being presented by the media and Hillary Clinton: Why can't Barack Obama close the deal? Actually, I'd like to take a stab at that answer myself if you don't mind? Hum, let's see. Maybe it's because Hillary is in denial that in fact Obama has already closed the deal.
    If I'm not mistaken, the delegate counts show that there is absolutely no way Hillary can catch Obama in pledged delegates or popular votes. That said, let me ask a question: Why won’t Hillary just humbly step down so the party can heal and move forward?
    Also, we must examine the mechanics of this sensitive situation and be real about it. We are dealing with (2) incredible dynamics that voters are compassionate about. The possibility of solidifying America's first female or African American president. Let's get even more real; there are many people that are voting historically rather than by the issues. The reason is and has been stated many times, you can barely tell the difference between there political views through a magnifying glass. Therefore, this campaign is personal so voters are literally married to there candidate of choice.

April 24, 2008 at 1:06 pm |
  49. Taj

You are right. Hillary is a fighter and she will go all the way to June convention. She has that right & is very presidential. Obama is great. It is a tough choice for anybody to pick.

April 24, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  50. Bev Tn of Tonawanda NY

If Barrack and Hillary have to end up joining forces – it won't be the first time the President and VP did not get along. Johnson hated Kennedy, George HR Bush did not like Dan, etc. It still would be a dream ticket for the Dems – of course with HIllary as President and Barrack as VP.

April 24, 2008 at 12:37 pm |