April 23rd, 2008

What the Pennsylvania primary really means

Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

What the Pennsylvania primary really means:

1. Demography is destiny. Pennsylvania has a lot of seniors, blue-collar workers and Catholics. All strongly for Hillary Clinton. African-Americans, young voters and Independents were loyal to Obama. But there were not as many of them. This is now trench warfare. Each contender is trying to pump up turnout from his or her own base.
  2. Pennsylvania borders Ohio. It voted like Ohio (both went for Clinton by 10 points). Three other Ohio neighbors will vote next month – Indiana, West Virginia and Kentucky. WV and KY look good for Clinton. Indiana may be closer because 20 percent of Indiana voters live in the Chicago (Obama) media market.
  3. North Carolina is nowhere near Ohio. North Carolina demographics look good for Obama – African-Americans, young professionals in the Research Triangle area.
  4. When Pennsylvania primary voters were asked who they thought would win the Democratic nomination, they said Obama. But they voted for Clinton. This is odd. More and more Democratic voters believe Obama will be their candidate. But there’s no Obama bandwagon.
  5. Hillary Clinton is not just the Comeback Kid. She’s the Comeback-of-the-Month Kid. Four months, four comebacks: January – New Hampshire, February – Super Tuesday, March – Ohio and Texas, April – Pennsylvania. Each time, from a near-death experience.
  6. The Democratic Party is in a tough place. Obama can’t close the sale. Clinton can’t overtake him. It’s not that she’s so far behind – she’s not. It’s the Democratic Party rules that make it difficult to pick up delegates. Or to gain the edge in popular votes without counting Florida and Michigan.
  7. We’re seeing evidence of damage to the Democratic Party. Only 53 percent of Clinton voters in Pennsylvania said they would vote for Obama over McCain. 68 percent of Obama voters say they would vote for Clinton over McCain.
  8. There is a growing danger that the loser will argue the process was unfair – that he or she was cheated out of the nomination. That would split the party wide open.
  1. Brandon

It's means this that the people of the Nation want Hillary Clinton and not Obama! Obama needs to drop out of race. Hillary for 2008!! The voters have spoken!! that is a fact folks.

April 23, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  2. Jose

I am sick of hearing that people who didn't vote for OBama are racist. I did not vote for him in Texas because he is all words and no substance. I honestly think he would panic if on some Sunday morning he got this call "Mr. President North Korea has just massed one million troops along the the DMZ and China has a massive fleet head towards Tiwan. He would pee in his pants. All words and no substance! I don't care if he were hispanic, I still wouldn't vote for him. We need someone like Hillary Clinton, Colen Powell, or John McCain. Don't give me that grabage about 4 years of Bush. I would rather have have that than another screw up like we had with Carter!
    Quit playing the race card.

April 23, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  3. Joan

There's no mystery why Clinton won Pennsylvania so decisively. Obama was the new fresh face who wrote great speeches and attracted big crowds...but no one really knew "who" he was nor what he stood for. Now, thanks to Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, Obama's wife Michelle, and Obama's own overhead conversation, the public is finding out just "who" people have been voting for....and they don't like THAT candidate.

Men and blue collar voters aren't suddenly turning to Clinton because she's saying something different. They are turning away from Obama because they are finding out "who" he is...and they don't like it.

April 23, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  4. Jackson

Bill and Hillary have both said that she and Johno McCain are friends. I'm from Texas and heard the push for the Republicans to vote for Hillary. Now I wonder if the Republican's Operation Chaos is a part of her strategy.

April 23, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  5. Mary

There isn't any doubt to me that OBama is an elitelist. He is always got some wealthy person on his arm. I have learned in this election how much difference there is in blue collar and the rich. The rich people really do snub the blue collar. They think that we are not important people unless they need us to do some scrubby little job for them. This is sicking to me. I will never vote for Obama he is to arrorant and he doesn't care about us less educated people. He has hurt my feeling, he and all his buddies and that includes the rich male senators that jumped into delegate pool to try to run with the younger rich. I will vote for McCain before Obama.

I don't feel the same about Hillary, she had included us in her circle and none of you are as smart as Hillary Clinton. Hillary 08

April 23, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  6. Phil B.

Here is my scenario:

Hillary can't win. Obama will get the nomination and be forced as a condition to accept Hillary as his running mate. She can either accept and still make history as the first female VP, or decline and try to help McCain win so she can run again for Pres. in 4 years.

There is virtually no way she can sell the Supers on her getting the nomination, barring some terrible news for Obama. If Obama does not get the nomination there will be significant backlash and disenfranchisement from African Americans, all the new young voters, and other independents who have signed on to take ownership of the future of America with Obama.

April 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  7. Hamzat

Am amazed that these 3 talking heads say the Americans dont know Obama – but what more do they want to know about him ...He was born in America, schooled in America married in America, worked in Chicago for over twenty years – folks dont want too vote for him – what else do we demand of our Politicians.
    Hilary – can someone tell her the Presidency is not a dynasty entitlement.
    Rather did she forget something at 1600 Penslyvaina avenue
    If the White folks dont want to vote for him what for him what else are does he have to do to become viable -knowone questioned his patrioticsm over the years when he paid his taxes, or being a law abiding citizen.

April 23, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  8. Rita Zvidrine

I feel that Hillary has not hit Obama hard enough and that she can't because the resentments go way back. Why are the majority of blacks voting for him? They want change? What change is that? That his presidency will make up for the years of chains many hold dear to their hearts because they feel they can't break from the stereotype they have fallen into. Because of my profession I meet many cultures and it is how they percieve themselves that is their downfall. Obama will be contained and constricted by the same mechanism that makes America go forward. How will all these voters feel when, because of the system, he does not live up to their expectations? They will want to find enlightenment thru his presidency yet can he follow thru with that implied promise? Can he ennlighten all of us? I think not!
    Rita

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Lorraine

I live in Florida. The democratic party really messed up. Who thought that not seating our delegates would be a good idea? It sounded stupid and undemocratic to me.

Neither candidate campaigned in this state. Barack ignored Florida like he was supposed to, but Hillary came here right before the (non)vote. It was a fundraiser so it was supposedly within the guidelines. So it seems like her visit might make people feel like she cared about Florida more than Barack. Floridians did not even know who he was back then.

Counting the votes in Florida does not seem fair either. I would like the candidate to campaign in Florida and have a revote. So we can participate in the election process. Who could claim it is not fair if we do it the correct way, campaign and the vote.

I feel alienated from my country!

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Jane O. (Pittsburgh)

Because I live in Pittsburgh, I feel that I can comment the negative television ads which I don't TV commentors have correctly commented on. Newscasters have commented that Hillary ran negative ads, but her ads were only counterattacks to Obama's negative ads. Everytime an Obama ad ran on the TV that diminished Hillary, I hoped that a Hillary ad would run that would diffuse it and a Hillary ad would then appear.
    We were always barraged with Obama ads. I understand that he spent $400,000 on advertising every day. His ads came on the television all the time - every fifteen minutes. During the last two weeks, his ads showed him verbally attacking John McKean, as though he had already won the Democratic nomination and had moved on to the general election.
    Maybe he couldn't "close the deal" in Pennsylvania because the term "elitist" might fit him after all. However, I would not use the term "elitist." I would use the term "ego."

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Mary

Thank You, Thank You PA. You did exactly what was ask of you in spite of all the money that Obama Spent. Hillary got Obama by double digits exactly what we ask of PA.

Indiana we need you follow suit and give Hillary Clinton that double digit win again. Hillary is the powerhouse , a fighter that will not give up or be push out. Obama is the weak.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Muad Alarbesh

Hillary Clinton's camp makes a claim that Obama is un-electable, but I believe that Sen. Clinton and her campaign are making a concerted effort to make him un-electable. There is a difference. What's really turned my off to Clinton is that she doesn't seem to get the difference between 'fighting within vs. fighting without'

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Vig

Bill Schneider and CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, NBC – anointed Obama the nominee, with their one-sided favorable coverage of him very early on in the election process. They hijacked the process, helped put Obama in the driver's seat and now keep reinforcing the notion that it's a done deal. I hope people don't forget this. Obama may be Mr. Congeniality, but Clinton is made of steel. All you media people should be ashamed of yourselves for your blatant biases. The media thinks it can control what people think and feel. You can't.

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Bill

I don't support Sen. Obama but I think I know why so many young people do. I remember how idealistic I was when I was in my 20s in the 1970s. Full of hope for my own future. That idealism and hope led me to vote for Jimmy Carter despite his limited experience in Georgia politics. During the next four years, my idealism was replaced by reality as that inexperience caught up with Mr. Carter and the country paid a severe price for it. I'm much older now and hopefully wiser. At least wise enough not to make the same mistake twice and vote for Sen. Obama, even if he becomes the Democratic candidate. I once heard that experience is something you gain after you need it. From my point of view, that is a lesson that millions of Americans will soon learn if the Illinois Senator is elected.

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Harold

SuperDelegates Matter!

Hey Hillary picked up 10 delegates last night (congratulations Sen. Clinton) Oh by the way, over the last 60 days Obama picked up 83 superdelegates who voted their own mind and Hillary picked up 3. Wow!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Christopher

It's always so interesting to see how Obama's supporters say that everytime he lost, it's becuase that state is racist, and when he wins, it's cause it was a fair win.
    Ignoring the fact that over 90% of all black men/women are voting for Obama(which apparantly has nothing to do with race).

As for calling PA a win for Hillary, it was.
    More than anything else, the most important factor in running for presidency is money. Money to buy tv ads, to be able to travel easier, to hold huge rallies. It's money.
    Obama spent more than 2x the amount, some say closer to 3x the amount Hillary spent, and he still lost by basically 10%. If they had spent the same amount of cash, it would have been a huge difference.
    Still, cute that Obama's loses because of "500 years of racism", but Hillary is winning, regardless of over at least, 1k years of sexism. Men always get to do something before a woman does. and yes, that includes black men.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Jena, Australia

"Only 53 percent of Clinton voters in Pennsylvania said they would vote for Obama over McCain."
    For how long are you going to ignore the impact Rush Limbaugh and the other right wing radio talk show hosts are having on the Democratic primaries with their Operation Chaos?
    There's talk of how surprising it was that Clinton did so well in the wealthy suburbs of Philadelphia. You report how many Clinton voters in the exit polls said they wouldn't vote for Obama in the general.
    Operation Chaos is having a massive impact – it put Clinton over the edge in the Texas primary. It got her 10% of the vote in Mississippi. It's been estimated that it garnered her 69,000 votes in PA.
    It'll probably hugely narrow Obama's win in PA and win her Indiana –
    massively distorting the public perception of momentum.
    If Clinton's new spin that it's the popular vote that matters – Rush Limbaugh et al's mischief could conceivably end up determining the Democratic nominee. How's that for irony?
    Yet none of you are reporting on this.

April 23, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  18. Annie Kate

I think some of what we are seeing is that old party loyalties no longer exist. Both parties in the legislature have been so ineffective in the last few years that neither is believable anymore. So we vote for the person we think is the most qualified. It may be in this election that the ones people think are the most qualified are on opposites sides of the aisle.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

April 23, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  19. Pat

Could you please have CNN correct its reportage? All day CNN writers have been saying that Clinton won PA by 10 points. A crawl just went by on Larry King live still saying the same thing. Senator Clinton won by 9.4 percentage points. Under any mathematical rounding system I have ever seen, when rounding to the nearest percentage point, this rounds down to 9 points.

The New York Times has, even when reporting whole percentage points for each candidate (e.g. 55 to 45 rather than 54.7 to 45.3) , shown the difference as 9 percentage points. Can the "finest political team on TV " be less accurate?

April 23, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  20. Sissy

I have never blogged before, so bear with me......I have never been interested in politics, never cared as an african american woman about what the people in Washington were saying. I felt that it didn't matter what I said, the president was going to do what he/she wanted to do when they entered into office anyway. Obama has a new approach that has COMPLETELY ENGAGED me. The people that know me are shocked. In his speeches he says "WE CAN CHANGE this country, "...with your help, we can make a difference". Hillary says "I,I,I,I". I want to ask "Why is it a shock that one of the oldest states in the country, with residents that have lived there all of their lives, many with little to no education, voted for the other candidate?" Set in their ways? Afraid of change, change from a african american man? Unable or unwilling to seek more information and just take what the media gives them to make a decision? Racism = Fear and Ignorance Educated, Informed, Open Minded = OBAMA. These are generalizations, of course, because we see that there are all kinds of people that want a fresh new way of doing things. I will personally vote for either candidate in the end because what I can't do is more REPUBLI>>>NAUSEA>>>CAN.

April 23, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Call it what you will or may there is definitely an unspoken about race.

April 23, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  22. Eileen Fagan

The answer i need is to my children who are watching the election process with such interest and hope for a president...

How do I explain the concept of the super-delegates? That they might give the election to Hillary Clinton with her having the most delegates and popular vote?

Doesn't this smell something like the election between Al Gore and George Bush? Democrats complain that Gore won but lost the election.

It looks like Obama will win the nomination (popular vote and delegate count.) Will/Can the super-delegates really do this without destroying the Democratic party for the future?

Just shock and amazed at what I heard yesterday on CNN.

Eileen Fagan

April 23, 2008 at 9:14 pm |
  23. Danny

My Question(s)...

Obama won where there were caucuses, but if those would have been primary states would Obama have won? Being with caucuses, you have to vote during specific times, not all through the day like with primaries, would more Hillary people been able to vote thus changing the outcome? Is this a fair election if not all get to vote?

With all the basic backing of the news organizations for Obama...not giving the other candidates the same treatment...I also wonder what role this has played in Obama's victories?

April 23, 2008 at 9:09 pm |
  24. Michelle

What the Pennsylvania primary means is: Racism is alive and well in America...I have an Exit Poll question not just for Pennsylvanians, but for all of America–If Barack Obama had the same optimism, message of change in Washington, and policy views on healthcare, education, the economy, the housing market, the environment, etc., but instead of being a black man were a white man; would you vote for him or Hillary Clinton? And if white America or all of America were to really be honest, I guarantee they would admit that if Barack were a white man with his same exact views and message; he would already have had enough votes and Delegates to have been declared the Democratic Parties nominee...But for no other reason except the fact that he's black; there are some who would rather have a dishonest, win at all cost, kill if you have to, say what you have to, insanely ambitious, politician of politicians (and that is not a compliment) as President of the United States of America. And it's extremely sad!

April 23, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  25. Sam

Hillary and supportes claiming a double digit(10%) victory in PA primary but when I looked at the margin it is 9.2% less than 10% to claim double digit. Interesting spin.

April 23, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  26. DNEL

I am appalled that CNN would continue to give Hillary the coverage that suggest she has a chance of winning. CNN is now showing what if MI and FL counted; are we buying a car because car salesmen always use the pharse, "What if I can come back with a different number will you buy today?"

April 23, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  27. Tanja

I have watched significant coverage of the presidential nomination process but no where have I seen an explanation of the discrepancy between the Republican and Democratic nomination processes. Democrats require 2025 votes to be nominated and most delegates are awarded proportionally. The Republican nominee only requires 1190 and most delegates are awarded as "winner take all." Why aren't the two processes the same and under the current rules, doesn't it seem significanly easier to get the Republican nomination than the Democratic nomination?

April 23, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  28. Rahni, Connecticut

I'm getting very tire of CNN talking race, gender and etc. We're ALL American who are in the same boat. PLEASE!!! STOP grouping people. Obama has all of the African-American votes and Clinton has all the white people votes. CNN continues to play the race and gender cards. If you think about it, who cares!!!

Rahni, Connecticut

April 23, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  29. Emmanuel

It's often a pleasant thing to see whoever we support winning. But the key question there is How is he or she winning ? Bear in mind that according to the word of God, he or she that destroys in order to succeed, there is always a destruction awaiting him or her at the point of his or her success. Therefore becareful the way you cultivate your way to success.

April 23, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  30. Chandra, from PA

There is all this talk about Hilary causing the negative feeling of the Democratic primary... She is not responsible, but even if she were, the “negativity” is needed. Most of the primaries were polled BEFORE anyone really knew anything about Barrak Obama. Before the issues of Obama’s church with it’s “Black Value system” calling non-blacks captors!…These polls that put Obama ahead were also before the issues with his pastor and mentor of 20 years spreading racist propaganda at his church and all over the airways, or even before his wife Michelle’s college thesis spouting the same anti-America racist sentiment that is seen at their church, came to light and certainly before he started making generalized statements to offend our working class.

Hillary is not guilty of anything but letting people know who the new guy really is.

The previous argument that he has the numbers is a moot point in light of the lack of information that those voters had. Also the argument that we can not say that he is guilty by association is not an accurate argument because this is not only an “association” this is his wife, the mother of his children, and the potential first lady. This is his pastor, friend, and proclaimed mentor of 20 years… A little more than an acquaintances, these are the kind of people that influence Obama’s life and decisions

April 23, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  31. Al

The Democratic party is split now and if they can't end this kangaroo money grabbing primary, we won't have a party left to run against McCain, we are just giving him the Presidency.

April 23, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  32. Chandra, from PA

The news keeps saying ow Obama won more states... He won before everyone know who he was and what kind of company he keeps. His results would not be the same if he ran today with all the new information that is available on him.

April 23, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  33. Chandra LaCost

Most of the primaries were polled BEFORE anyone really knew anything about Obama. Before the issues of Obama’s church with it’s “Black Value system”, or the issues with his pastor and mentor of 20 years spreading racist propaganda at his church and all over the airways, or even before his wife Michelle’s college thesis spouting the same anti-America racist sentiment that is seen at their church, came to light and certaintly before he started making generalized statements to offend our working class.

So, the previous argument that he has the numbers is a moot point in light of the lack of information that those voters had. Also the argument that we can not say that he is guilty by association is not an accurate argument because this is not only an “association” this is his wife, the mother of his children, and the potential first lady. This is his pastor, friend, and proclaimed mentor of 20 years… A little more than an acquaintances, these are the kind of people that influence Obama’s life and decisions.

April 23, 2008 at 8:27 pm |
  34. Chris E.

This is what I don't understand. Everyone keeps talking about how Clinton whipped Obama so bad in Pennsylvania. Remember, she was way in the lead going into this Pennsylvania primary. He cut her lead drastically and no one is mentioning that. He prevented the blowout that she could have had and instead only came away gaining 12 or so delegates closer to Obama lead.

April 23, 2008 at 8:19 pm |
  35. Tina

Why is everyone saying that the Super Delegates MUST vote for Obama? Why is it that every other American is able to vote based on their OWN heart and mind but the Super Delegates cannot? Are they not Americans who have their OWN heart and mind?

April 23, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  36. Christine

All the Obama supporters that cry about Hillary going negative on him – do you all think the republicans will just let him talk his way to the white house without pulling out all the stops. This is nothing compared with what he will face and he can not deal with it. She can and has.

April 23, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  37. Sarah

As a native PA gal....I knew Clinton would take PA. No, I am not gonna vote for either her or Obama, but I am glad she won my home soil.

April 23, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  38. Richard A. Seaton

We are still a long ways from reconciliation in this country-point Senator Clinton lied and apologized and was forgiven-senator McClain endorse by radicals, accepted their endorsement but disagreed with their veiws has not denounced them- Senator Obama will answer questions of Rev. wright and everything else drummed up everyday until he is inaugurated in January.It is very disturbing when people measure others by a self appointed judgement system.we spent all day after the philly primary asking why can't Barack win or how can Hillary beat him.It is troubling when everyone in the media knows that being a black candidate means you have to be twice as good as the next canidate.Now we are discussing rule changes in the primary and caucus system. Our country is a bussiness lets 1st understand that. I dont need someone that i can have a beer with . i need a leader!!! Barack Obama

April 23, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  39. AB

TRUTH HURTS and what the poles show is Hiliary is STILL behind

April 23, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  40. Rene

The media continue to forget that Hillary Clinton was the favor to win the Democratic nominee. So she is the favor and Barak Obama is the underdog. So can she close the deal, is my question?

April 23, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  41. Ross in Indiana

I truly hope someone reads this tonight. First, no one has mentioned the three hours spent today by Mr. Limbaugh taking credit for Hillary's win in Pa through his "operation chaos". It will be interesting to see how many "new democrats" SUDDENLY return to the republican party. Also someone needs to point out that the final margin of victory was less than the magical "DOUBLE DIGIT" win that is being boasted. The actual math is actually less than 10%.

April 23, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  42. Jo Ann

Bill,

We can talk about this and dissect it to death from now until Hell freezes over, but there has been too much animosity between the Clinton and Obama supporters for many of them to even consider voting for the opposing candidate.

Just by looking at the numbers of voters in each camp that refuses to vote for the other candidate or not vote at all tells me the winner in November will be John McCain.

I believe that the candidates, their supporters, and the media have done irreparable damage to the Democratic Party. I don't know about the future, but, in my opinion, as far as this election is concerned, I am afraid the time has passed for any chance of meaningful reconciliation.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

April 23, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  43. AZM

Mason..
    Nice crutch!

It couldn't be because he's so far left he scares people... couldn't be his affiliations with know hate groups (not say he's a member just seems to know a lot of them including Rezco)... he won't answer questions about it... he has three years experience in the federal government... He's made inflamatory comments that he's had to back peddle on... He's stuggled when in an open forum like a debat which shows him to be scripted... His wife has made comments people don't like...

He's black... and in a tight run (winning even) in a primary for the President of the United States.... and your excuse that it's not a land slide in his favor is he's black.... PATHETIC... becoming the president isn't easy... and he is going up against the Royal Family the Clintons... which until he ran would have been un-heard of...

I'd be pretty damn proud if I were Obama... don't get me wrong I don't like him... for the dozen reasons I said... not because he's black.

I'm sure the typical white person (Obama's words) is more concerned with the issues as his color... I think the polls show that as well...

Again... Nice Crutch!

April 23, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  44. AB

I can say this if the white working class would rather have 4 more years of BUSH which is what they will get in McCain then they better brace themselves for the depression that is coming with it. They will not vote for Barack because he is black it is plain and simple and Hiliary can not win this election, the number do not lie ( sorry I can't say the same for her) the only way for her to get the nomination is to steal it. And all I hear in the media is Barack can't win without the white working class vote , what about Hiliary and the black vote,or do we matter at all. I THINK SO.

April 23, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  45. jes

Why is Obama always crying the blues over the voter count in Florida & Michigan? He was not smart enough to have his name on the ballot, Hilary was! Obama you big baby get over it!!!

April 23, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  46. Diana from Fairvew, Texas

Somebody forgot, I bet the Republicans have not forgotten and just can’t wait! We hear daily that Hillary Clinton states she has experience. Now, just look at some of the experience she says she has:
    • Rwanda, I watch on a documentary about the terrible season in Rwanda when warring tribe was killing the innocent of another tribe. Ethic cleansing it was called. The United States Secretary of State Madam Albright under William Clinton voted twice that the United Nation not interfere in this tragedy. The Clinton administration just stood by and moves not a finger to help until thirty days later. What happened to that call early in the morning and her quick response to issues that will help the concerns of America and her supporters
    • Somalia a few day war that the Clinton administration just walked away and too many American dead knowing they were doing the right thing. Could this event have set the U.S. up for the tragedy of 9/11? The U.S. looked like a scared lion being punished by his pride for getting on their nerve.
    • The killing of Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown on his tour of duty for and in service in Bosnia. Did the plane just failed out of the sky? Never understood what happened and why the United States did not make a serious argument about the downing of a plane carrying high American officials (two weeks earlier Hillary was on the same plane). After he was under investigation for some financial problem associated with the Clintons. Just what were the problems? Something to ask Hillary about…I would say. So, far I am not happy about the Clinton foreign policies and associations with issues that she now disagrees with. I have a trust issue and I know she cares not.

April 23, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  47. Mason

Some keep asking the same question. Why can't he close the deal? The white working class people, won't vote for him because he's black. That's a simple fact. What is he suppose to do? Change his color. If someone didn't want to vote for Hillary becuase she a woman. Is she suppose to change her sex? He' s up against almost 500 years of racsim. No other candidate can say that.

April 23, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's going to be real interesting to see if the Democrats will have to deal with their own stolen election brouhaha. How will they handle it? Stay silent or make a possible new President have 4 years of constant complaints about legitimacy. We'll see.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

April 23, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  49. Sean in Dallas

Great read Mr. Schneider!

Maybe you can help answer a question for me. Senator Clinton needs to do something about the super delegates jumping ship on her. It seems like every time I turn around Obama's camp announces another superdelegate endorsement. Senator Clinton supporters need to start seeing some superdelegates get on board with her for a change. Shouldn't she start taking drastic measures like offering up some cabinet positions?

Thanks!

Sean

April 23, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  50. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

The Democratic party is already split in two. And since Clinton has turned this into a negative campaign, Democrats are handing this election over to the Republicans.

In my opinion, there are only two possible outcomes which will lead to the Democrats winning. The first is if whoever does get the nomination, the other will be offered the Vice-President slot on the Democratic ticket. The only way I see this happening is if they are forced into it.

The second possibility is if this primary race ends with a brokered convention and someone else who could unite the Democrats emerges from the convention as the candidate. The only Democrat who could possibly do this is Al Gore and he says he doesn't want to run.

Unless something drastic happens, we may as well get used to another Republican administration which wants to continue almost all of the failed policies of the Bush administration.

April 23, 2008 at 6:51 pm |