April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Congrats, Jacqueline!

Well, good night everyone! This has definitely been a fun night for all involved with AC360!

April 23, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Great show tonight Anderson and Erica.

Great conversation on the blog tonight and thanks for joining in tonight Jeffrey. Hope you had as much fun as we do. (Glad to hear your pic is on the way)

Talk to you all tomorrow night!

April 23, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Jane O. (Pittsburgh)

The negative television ads In PA.
    Newscasters have commented that Hillary ran negative ads, but her ads were only counterattacks to Obama's negative ads. Obama ran TV ads that diminished Hillary, Then, I would hope that a Hillary would run an ad defending herself and one appeared. .
    We were always barraged with Obama ads. He spent $400,000 ads every day. His ads came on the television every fifteen minutes. During the last two weeks, his ads showed him verbally attacking John McKean, as though he had already won the Democratic nomination and had moved on to the general election.
    Maybe he couldn't "close the deal" in Pennsylvania not because he's an "elitist," but because people recognized an ego.

April 23, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Renee

I agree with you Chuck. I think if you are going to run for office of the President then you decide to quit your job as Senator or Rep or Governor. Just my 2 cents.

@ CNN Shot Person: I thought for sure you would have the FL photo of the woman who had a gator in her kitchen a few days ago.

April 23, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Glen up North – if you wern't tired, trying to scroll through the blog and read the postings and keep up will do it. I'm beat... Only 6 more minutes. I hope I make it..

Ok, now I am hungry.. Waffles.

Did someone blog about Erica and AC "hooking up".. Ok, my life is boring have not heard that term in awhile...

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Glad to help, Kayli! Thanks. Off to bid on Barack's waffle!

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. dr johnson

bryce k dixon,

You are 100% correct on the race issue but I am white and even I have to take into account why most blacks are voting for Obama. If the country has a particular type of president every term and the candidates who are running represent that same type of president except for one; wouldn't you vote for change if is was leading in the right direction? He can't do any worse. By the way nobody voted for Jackson black or white.

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Sandy

Who are these people who are saying Hillary and Obama are tearing the democratic party apart? Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are NOT tearing the democratic party apart. This race is unprecedented! It's exciting! At my county's democratic convention, the atmosphere was electric. Obama's supporters were chanting and holding up signs. When they fell silent, Hillary's supporters did the same. We had almost three times as many delegates at our convention than ever before. I spoke to strangers who shared my political views, and also spoke to several who switched from republican to democrat for the first time in their lives because of Hillary and Barack's race. Democrats are loving this! Who knew presidential elections could be so exciting! Anderson, keep up the good work covering this election! (I don't have cable anymore, but listen to your show every night on CNN.com!)

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Anderson and Jeff! It was fun tonight!

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Amy, Westchester, NY

OMG – this waffle thing is ridiculous!

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Tony

Man! I'm sure glad I don't live in Pennsylvania. Based on the democratic primary yesterday is is very clear that much of the state is racist... I wish the old people of that state would have voted for the candidate of the future, Barack Obama rather than the candidate of the past.

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. EJ - Ohio

How much would people pay for a half eaten waffle by Anderson? Inquiring minds want to know.

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  13. CaseyJPS - California

Erica! You made me laugh out loud tonight!!! Thank you!

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

I love beat 360!
    Polar baby bear is so cute.
    I have go out of town for 2 days.
    I hope you have good night! Jeff, Anderson, Erica, and Bloggers.
    Have a nice weekend.
    See you on Monday! 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

@ Liseette: It is all academic anyway. After the way these two have destroyed each other and have alienated the Democratic voters against each other it will be an easy win for John McCain in November.

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Chuck in Alabama

Anderson, Do you think the end of the college school year will have an effect on the contests that follow? Seems the student "caucuses" will end.

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Amy, Westchester, NY

Animals are animals especially wild animals – they should NOT be trained for the circus, for movies, or any other ridiculous acts. People wonder why they turn on their trainers, maybe the trainers should put themselves in the animals shoes! I'm sure if they could talk, they would NOT want to be there...

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Michael, NC

Well, it was really intense tonight, lots of good information though. Tomorrow, can't wait til 10.

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

A waffle? Well, Obama didn't do any waffling on his decision to not finish his breakfast. Did He.

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Jennifer in DC

Uh oh, Anderson... guess you better make sure to clean your plate! Someone may grab your leftover chicken sandwich and put that on Ebay! 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Carly,AL

ok the thing with obama'a half eaten breakfast is just crazy what is crazier is what it probablly sold for........now that is redneck at its best if i may say.....

April 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Theresa

Anderson... I don't think he closed the deal but I don't think it was a substantial victory for her, either.

Clinton is not the underdog. She's an attack dog. Obama closed the gap considerably even with all the attack ads. That was why he had to spend so much money and spend time answering questions that don't pertain to his political position. He didn't throw the sink back at her either.

She most certianly did win the state. If she'd have won by 20 points, that would have been substantial. 10 points was predictable. In my opinion, of course.

April 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Waffling...lol.

Erica, I love your top! It's very springy! And come to mention it, those ties that the guys are wearing are quite cheerful, as well.

April 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  24. barry

obama will loose....the democrats will loose.... look at the electoral map by county...oh by the way howard dean will be unemployeed. i would like to apply for his job. barry

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  25. EJ - Ohio

You know, we love you Anderson, but I don't think many of us would want a half eaten waffle from you (or Obama).

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Tracey - Boston

Yea for Jeffrey!

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Billi

Cindy, Clinton fans exist. I get on here a lot and comment. At least, we don't get zapped off – like on Cafferty's blog,

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Jana, Indiana

Henry, thanks I hadn’t heard that about those counties.

Good night Anderson and all

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Michael, NC

Nice Erica-now work some magic and get us some...that would be a feat.

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Mike from Syracuse NY

Interesting discussion on HRC being VP. If I were Obama I'd get a food taster.

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  31. Kelly

Hi Megan
    Where did you buy the Plant in Peril DVD and when was it released?

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  32. Beth in CT

Tracy – the notion of change isn't shallow – it's what this country needs desperately. Great to hear you and your friends are involved voting.

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Genevieve M, TX

Kids, never mess with an animal bigger than you are.

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Jolene

Ok, I've seen it all, Barack's waffle....thanks for the laugh!

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Lu

As a democrat and Hillary supporter, I am confused as to why some cable programs are keeping Hillary possibilities out there alive and some like your rival- not mentioning the cable channel that Countdown is on and surely Obama supporter are or have written her off. She basically has lost- delegates, states won, pop vote etc.
    Why then aren't the sup-delegates ending this then? Why isn't the media asking the question? They could come out now, one by one and back whoever they feel would do better and let the chips fall as they may,and end the back room perception. If they really thought the campaigning was hurting the party, never mind the rest of the states. Anderson, I guess I am naive and don't understand unless some of them feel the electoral votes to win is what really matters.

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  36. Henry

Would a union between Obama and Hillary really unite the party or has too much damage already been done?

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Glen Up North

LOL! Well, I tried putting in my 2 cents regarding the implications of who's the next president to a Canadian like me... and it turns out it's the only comment that awaits moderation (but isn't the most recent post I've made)... Guess I just don't have my Political Science homework done up to date! (laughs)

Lesli, I DO appreciate what you wrote. And Mary, seems like I'm here until midnight my time after all... again.

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  38. leticia Orange Park, Fl.

He played by the rules, and forcing him to take her was not one of the rules.

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Jacob

i say make hillary a supreme court judge, is that a possibility?

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Kayli, KY

I hope Jeff Toobin blogs nightly more often! He's a great voice to have here. Loved "The Nine," Jeff, and got brownie-points when one of my political science professors saw me reading it before class. *Very* helpful, that!

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  41. Yvonne

Hillary can be VP as long as she does not arrange to hurt him while he's President. Ambitious Vice Presidents are dangerous.

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  42. David Do

The Caucus has been phased out because it is undemocratic but used in some states still – note a caucus in a large state won't work either. Look at Texas it was a MESS.

Hillary won the Texas primary "popular vote" by 4% points but because the RULES forced Texas to vote TWICE, she lost that crazy caucus and therefore Obama won 25 more delegates than he should have. Move those 25 delegates from Obama to Hillary and Hillary would be only 60 delegates away from Obama.

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  43. Jacqui Chan

Att: Jeffrey Toobin,
    I have got a question for you. In the past I have on occasion seen you on Ac360 talking about celebrities from a legal point of view like I the Paris Hilton prision drama.
    I was curious if you enjoy doing that sort of thing or is it a job responsibility with cnn? I kind of assumed that you would find that annoying.
    Thanks, Jacqui Chan

April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  44. ericacnn

You'll all be happy to know, Jeffrey Toobin's pic is in the works 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Fay, CA

I'd love to see Obama and Clinton join up, but it seems like there's too much bad blood between them. It's a better prospect than their supporters going over to McCain or not voting at all.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  46. Mike from Syracuse NY

As a NY Giants fan, I see the value of playing all 4 quarters, whether you're down or not!

Obama can't close the deal, because he doesn't want it enough. He's the NE Patriots of the Democratic Party.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar

Jolene,
    Me either, I am waiting for Vice president to discuss.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  48. Markus in New Jersey

I like John King standing at his "political weather map"... very "Minority Report"

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  49. Chuck in Alabama

With most colleges beginning summer break around the 3rd week of May. How do you think that will affect the primaries that follow? Without all the students in one local, will the impetus for them still exist?

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  50. CaseyJPS - California

Kait in PA>I believe race matters because THE MEDIA has made it that way, including CNN. To say it nicely, I'm highly annoyed about this.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |