April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jolene

New beat music? Interesting. Good sounding transition.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Michael in Lafayette, IN

"She doesn't want to sit around in the Senate...." and do what? Bake cookies?

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  3. dr johnson

I also have respect for Hillary but just don't feel that I can trust her to do the things she say she will.

April 23, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Cindy P.

Way to go Hillary! Anybody who can withstand the bashing she takes everday deserves to be President. You would think that Hillary supporters don't even exist by some of the comments. Gloria, you are talking about race being a factor but did I hear that 92% of African Americans voted for Obama. Is race a factor here?

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Chuck

I am so angry that Bill Clinton gets to tour around, his trips paid for by us taxpayers, campaigning for his wife! An unfair advantage to the Clinton campaign. I am also mad that all 3 delegates are Senators, being paid by us, and they are not at work but out campaigning

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Julliet

Hillary won big last night good for her we love her but, she cant close the deal either. At the end of the day Obama is going to win the delegate math and the popular vote. Let's see what she cooks up as her argument to win the nomination then.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,

Hi! Your election coverage is excellent, as usual. The primary result last night was what I expected–I think the race will remain competitive until the end. Your web cam was great during the long speeches.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. ericacnn

Someone asked about the importance of Marion and Lake Counties in IN - they get a lot of attention b/c they account for such a significant amount of the vote for the entire state....

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Yvonne

Pennsylvania does not represent the demographics of the United states. Obama would have done the same in Pennsylvania on February 5. Nothing has changed. In fact he has shown that with all the blows of the past 6 weeks, he can still pull out 45% of the vote in Hillary land, like he did in Ohio. There's been no change.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Teresa, Kent, OH

@TRACY: thank you. You've cleared up something that has been bothering me concerning his popularity.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Amy M.

i enjoy the music coming back from break. way to appeal to the young crowd 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

Sandra in Fairmont, WV: I heard about the TV ads that Obama ran in FL. I have been waiting for someone to bring that up.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think at this point I'd like to hear what VP each would be interested in. Will Hillary say Obama, and Obama say Hillary? It would be telling to see if they had others in mind and who they might be.

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Christine

Anderson – on RealClearPolitics Hillary is leading in Indiana.

April 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Michael, KS

Is there going to be a legal problem at the convention with Michigan & Florida?

April 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Tracey - Boston

Megan Dresslar

When you bought the Planet in Peril DVD??

April 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. CaseyJPS - California

If Anderson said who he is voting for, it would have the same effect as when Oprah announces her next "book of the month."

April 23, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Maureen T

The younger generation (I can't believe I'm saying that!) doesn't seem to have the same issues when it comes to race. Granted there are people of the older generation who don't have an issue with it! (Me for example!) At the end of the day Barack is an American man though isn't he?

April 23, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. elaine

Anderson, as an Obama supporter I do not have any problem with the question. But I don't believe it is the right question to be asking. I get more upset when the comments are made re: how Clinton can win because she beat Obama in PA or OH or Tx...or any of the other big states. The PRIMARY election is NOT the GENERAL election. Just because Clinton beats Obama in those states does NOT mean she can beat McCain. Obama is the guy who is raising more money and energizing more people. I would think that is what the Dems are looking at when they think November.

April 23, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Yeah, its true: I'm a young voter, so are my friends, and we all love Barack. He's got the smell of hope about him, and despite the well-reasoned arguments for Hillary, that gem of change glitters more brightly and is therefore more appealing. Sounds shallow, and it is, but considering how similar he and Hillary are, that's what it comes down to for us.

April 23, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Mike from Syracuse NY

Anyone wonder how Obama is going to react when they burn him in effigy in Iran or someplace else that hates us if he can't take a hard question in a debate? I'm not a Hillary fan, but I don't want a woosie as President.

April 23, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Julie

Hey Anderson...I've grown up watching CNN and seeing it as the actual "fair and balanced" news channel, but lately, besides you, Candy Crowlee, and a couple others, I feel that may not be the case any more...so that is why I'm posing the question to you...I'm a democrat that likes both candidates very much, and my concern is uniting the party...so why has nobody pointed out the fact that during Obama's speech Tues night, there was basically an Abercrombie and Fitch ad displayed behind him thanks to three, what I would assume are three models...everybody has said for him to bring the party together he needs to connect with blue collar America...in my opinion, this doesn't seem to be the way to do it.

April 23, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Jolene

Oh yeah, I'm waiting for the VP discussion!

April 23, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Michael in Lafayette, IN

I wonder if any of the $10 million was another Clinton loan to get to a WOW number of $10 million. Dig deeper, AC 360.

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Shane, Kentucky

Why do people say Obama can't beat McCain? Clinton and Obama share many ideas. It's like people get stuck on a single issue or the color of the candidate's eyes or something. It's the issues we should be concerned about. If Hillary can beat McCain then Obama should as well. Like Hillary said, "Yes, yes, yes he can." The Democrats should keep in mind that one of these candidates will probably be back in four or eight years. There are situations where swing voters should vote Republican, but this year isn't one of them regardless of who's the Democratic nominee.

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Jacob

i dont think the problem is racism, i think the problem is his assocations. I never knew how radical some dems were.

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Joanne

Hey Anderson,
    Did you notice in Barack's speech last night he quoted you saying "planet in peril"!

I noticed it right away!
    Hi Erica!

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. CaseyJPS - California

Jolene>DOn't be silly. Anderson is voting for Ralph Nader (of course)!

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Bryce K. Dixon

Hey on race what about 95% of African-Americans voting for Obama is that not also race voteing?

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Yvonne

Don't worry about race. God is the one who puts up and takes down. God will move upon the hearts of all racists and cause them to see Obama as equal to them. Don't count out the power of God. People want truth and Obama represents that.

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Renee Osterwalder/Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Bryce K. Dixon: I am an African American and an Obama supporter. But .....should Hillary somehow win the nomination I could not in good conscience vote for her. It is not because I am hog tied to Barack, it is just that I do not like nor appreciate her type of politics. I had a tremendous amount of respect for Hillary and Bill before this whole thing started. I have since thrown their books in the garbage!

They are dirty and underhanded.

I voted for Bush1 (1st time I could vote) because Dukakis was just a nut! So I am not bound by party nor candidate.

April 23, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Larry

What happened to the votes of almost half the registered democrats? Between them Sens Clinton & Obama raked in about 2.2 million votes, yet we were told that there were approximately 4 million registered democrats.

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Tracey - Boston

Hey Glen up North-

That's a good idea...color coding along with the pics...

Is that asking too much?

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Michelle Banks

I thought it was decided for the beginning at FL and Michigan would not be counted because they broke some rule or something?

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    I agree with Jolene too......

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Gwen from NJ

Thanks to the international community for chiming in. It is good to hear what you think of us Americans, our leaders, and our politics.

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Maureen T

Anderson, you can tell me who you support secretly, I won't tell anyone! Only kidding! 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Kait in PA

I find it shocking how many people say race matters.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Amy, Westchester, NY

I have such respect and admiration for Hillary – she is such a fighter, doesn't give up (which she shouldn't) and she has ALL my support!

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Jeannie

Jeffrey, I am interested in Rene's question. I also live in Miami and wouldl like to know if as an individual something can be done about the DNC.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Jay

nice try Anderson-your predilictions for President are very evident! I HOPE you support one of the candidates for President-just don't make it apparant on your program!

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Obama has refused another debate next week – he refused to speak to the travelling press for the last 10 days (ended that today). He likes giving speeches to his supporters who cheer him on and don't ask him tough questions. This is not the strength we need in a president. Hillary did an interview on Monday night on another network with a host who has been bashing her for months. She doesn't run from a fight or a tough spot. Which one do we want standing up for the USA?

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Beth in CT

The money spent on these campaigns is mind blowing. It's obvious the country is ready for change with the record number of dem voters coming out compared to repub...I love the spirit of competition, but I just hope the campaign fighting doesn't later hurt the chance for a democratic win, whoever it is.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Daniela

Let's not kid ourselvs, the media has been covering the 10 point lead victory that Hilliary would have for the last four weeks. Suddenly everyone acts surprised that Hillary won PA. I am not surprised, you guys have been telling the public she would win PA by a two digit margin since she defeated Obama in Ohio.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Jennifer NC

Hey Anderson- I have heard you say you don't support anyone in particular before..do you mean you don't do so publicly (which is fine)? I hope you vote when you have the opportunity in which case you must be supporting someone-right?

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Jill Chadwick

I am very frustrated that Obama does not strike back against Clinton. She is only winning because she uses her usual scare tactics on people. Also, today Obama is taking hits from Clinton and McCain. I really belive they are frightened he will be President. I am a 63 year old white woman and will vote for Obama if he is nominated. I was a Republican up until this election. Clinton is as usual playing dirty politics. She is a dirty businesswoman, a bully and quite honestly I am ashamed at being called a woman when she behaves so appaulingly.

April 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Stuart Falk

Again, Anderson, Hillary's 10 point victory was a bigger reflection of the ability of the governor's political machine to get out their core vote than her actual popularity. What is troubling though is the number of those tranditional Democratic voters who say they would not vote for Obama as I fear that is a racial issue.

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Joe (ireland)

Anderson, whats that thing that your spinning on your desk. Is it a touchscreen?

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  49. CaseyJPS - California

Oh Andrea from Canada>There will be a whole new world of late night commedy coming. The difference will be we will be laughing WITH our President not AT our President (in embarrassment).

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  50. AJ, Minneapolis

@ Andrea from Canada

Im gong to miss Bush as well...

for all of his hilarious attempts @ dancing...

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |