April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Joanne

I watch this show every night. This is the first time I've added my comments. This is great!
    i love the analysis!

Joanne

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jeffrey: Sorry! Ha! Maybe I should have said that you are the one I believe because if you have a favorite candidate or an agenda I can never tell.

I hope the candidates remember that the general election is not a caucus.

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  3. ericacnn

Andrea, no matter who wins in Nov, you can bet the late-night jokes will continue...no President is safe from those guys!

April 23, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Jennifer in DC

Anderson, as an Obama supporter I agree with you. Clinton did have a big win last night, smaller than originally expected, but big none the less. I certainly wouldn't suggest that he has "closed the deal" yet. It's way to close at this point to say anyone has closed anything. I think asking that question is a good thing, you need to look at any weak points in order to fight back at those.

April 23, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Melinda

I think people see coverage as biased based on who they support. It's natural to think there is too much negativity about the candidate you support.

If you don't see enough positive or negative press about your choice just wait a week, until they misspeak again. Things run in cycles...one week the media slams Obama and then the next Clinton. IT's all based on whatever current controversy there is.

April 23, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Deleana Atz

To Michelle in Atlanta – I agree with you wholeheartedly. Clinton only knows the low road..... it's the only road she has left.

April 23, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Krista, VA

In the big races such as this, hasn't historically been a correlation between money raised and sucess at the polls?

April 23, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Jeffrey: You have to get an avatar so that we can easily find your comments.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Liseette

Jo Ann Ohio

The race is closed because Obama won a long time ago
    Hillary is just chasing the wind because she is not emotionally ready to realize she lost.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Kelly, Austin, TX

Thank you Anderson for saying that. I have to admit, I too felt that you and probably most of the CNN family were "in the tank" for Obama because I definately did feel there was a bias. You have restored my faith in you by saying that. Thank you again!

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Jolene

So Anderson, if you say you don't support anyone, does this mean financially or does this mean you did not or are not going to vote for a candidate?

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Glen Up North

Anderson: I don't blame you if you're having difficulty catching up with this here. I'M focusing on this more than the show, and am having difficulty myself! Any way we can change our font color to green when we're talking directly to you, to save time? (laughs)

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think Hillary held her own yesterday. Obama may win next time. FIghting each other does not unite anyone. Republicans or Democrats were all Americans.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Jim in Tampa

Her victory last night was not that substantial. If it was, she would have picked up more than what – 13 pledged delegates?

She needed to pick up way more than that. That's like kicking a field goal, down by three touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. jes

Anderson you look like you are troubled. Hope everything is OK with you!

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Sandra, Fairmont, WV

Why doesn't anyone call Senator Obama on his continued declaration that he did not campaign in Florida? Aren't television commercials considered campaigning? He did run commercials during the superbowl that ran nation wide – including in Florida. So honesty is not just an issue for Senator Clinton.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. mona

@ Christine, BO did not put up his name neither did John Edwards and this is after DNC decided to penalize them. They have a video of HRC talking about if they can't obey the rules then they suffer the consequences( not verbatim). To her credit, she was smart because she new those votes would come out handy for her later.

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Chuck in Alabama

Casey, I agree. This is the only forum I've found where I get to share an "intelligent" exchange of ideas with others on the issues that affect our world. I am very thankful it's not like the Political Ticker blogs. LOL

April 23, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Pat, Ohio

Of all the states that Obama lost he had only 5 states that were below 40% of the vote and the number of states that Hillary lost 22 below 40%.

And you say he can't close...

Why all of the double standards?

Why the fuzzy math?

Why the Black VS White?

Can America REALLY Change when it comes to race?

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Yvonne

Hillary has been campaigning in Pennsylvania for 16 years. Obama for 6 weeks. The $12 million was worth it. In my opinion Hillary did not do well last night. She can't get over 60% in any state.

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  21. seah

Obama is not the peoples choice. The people are seeing him finally for who he is, and not liking what they see. He has been such a dark secret. The need to know more about him, before They try putting him in as a nominee let alone president. I hope Anderson and other news people can help get the American citizens the answers they need.

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Aimee in Minnesota

Correction to comment
    I meant to say he did not serve a full term (not "year").

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Kathy, Florida

Anderson you are actually the only one on CNN that does not show favor to any candidate. It is refreshing.

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I think asking why Obama can't close the deal is an important question to ask. I think it will be more important come Indiana and North Carolina if he can not get it done then......Hillary was expected to win Pennslyvania by double digits so last night was not a big surprise to anyone.

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

How about John King picture on blog?

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Maureen T

Love the webcam! Wish I could read lips! :}

April 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Renee

Honestly, does anyone feel sorry for the Clintons being financially strapped? $109 million in family income is not poverty so if she wants this thing so bad what's wrong with her funding her entire campaign?

April 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  28. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Jeff- so great to see you blogging.

I will take this opportunity thank you for your wonderful book "The Nine". I work in the legal profession too and I have to say that your book was insightful, fascinting and truly taught me much.

Please write more!

April 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Andrea from Canada

I think that the President of the US definitely matters to us in Canada, for the reasons that Lesli pointed out. It matters to the whole world really. Look at what having Bush in the white house has done to the stability of the world.

On the other hand, I will miss Bush. What will happen to all of my favourite latenight segments on Letterman and Leno....it saddens me to think that we won't get to laugh at him anymore....

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  30. CaseyJPS - California

Can we please not call each other "stupid?" I mean that in all sincerity. Everyne should feel comfortable commenting, regardless of the opinion.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Bonnie

Anderson - we finally agree on something concerning politics!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Mike from Syracuse NY

What happens if the FL and MI uncounted votes would make the difference with who wins? Obama keeps saying he's ahead in the popular vote. Not true when FL and MI are counted.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  33. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Exactly! Senior legal analyst. I am tough but fair with the junior legal analysts! Except, uh, there aren't any.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Jennifer NC

Here is another Syracuse native agreeing with you Mike! I also want say that I agree "The Nine" is a great book Jeff T. and you must get your pic. up soon.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Michael in Lafayette, IN

Hillary Clinton does not need to spend a dime to get out my vote. All she has to do is put her name on the ballot. Guaranteed to get me out to vote for Obama.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Gwen from NJ

I find it curious that folks want to modify the democratic process regarding the delegates, just because Senator Clinton is behind. You cannot change the rules to get the outcome you want. Is it really worth winning if you win at any cost? These ideas are really not democratic. That's how dictators react.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Money is their free speech right? Is that what jeffrey toobin said. It does seem we could have money held at bay during elections.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Henry

Yes Jana, but when the commentators talk about our state, its primarily Marion Co., Lake Co. and Bloomington. Today I heard that the state would be decided by Marion and Lake Counties.

April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Tracey - Boston

JACOB-

Read the statement at the very top!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Rich from Fort Wayne, IN

I like Senator Clinton. I would vote for her for President. But this year Obama is the one. If Hillary continues this old politics of hate and scortched earth politics, she will not only hurt Obama;, but she will destroy any chance of ever getting elected herself to ANY national office again. She is getting close to become the Ralph Nader of 2008.

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  41. EJ - Ohio

"Good point on why Hillary can’t close the deal. She’s losing. No one expects her to settle the issue. The best she can hope for is to keep the nomination open as long as possible — waiting for lightning to strike."

Agreed!

I believe she's waiting for a critical Obama mistake or for something or someone to physically injure him.

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  42. elaine

As if Clinton wouldn't be spending that kind of money IF she had it!

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Mike Considine - PA small town bitter voter

How can Hillary call Obama elites when her only hope is to convince the super delegates the biggest elites group of all to overrule the vote of the people? Seems there is an elites in the race, but it’s her not him

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, Ohio

I hope the candidates remember that the general election is not a caucus.

April 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  45. andersoncnn

As someone who gets accused of being an obama supporter (for the record i dont support anyone) its interesting to hear obama supporters getting upset by the question "why cant he close the deal?" Yes, its an often asked question, but to pretend that he did "close the deal" yesterday does not seem factually correct. Yes, with a massive expenditure of money, he closed in on Hillary Clinton, but her victory last night was substantial and pretending it wasnt doesnt seem like a logical move to me.

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Ramone Diaz, Venezuela

Hi Jon, Erica, Moderator and bloggers 🙂
    great show tonite!!!
    Go the distance Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Jacob

Whenever i see that McAuliffe on the television, I think he is the most convincing person in the world.

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Chuck in Alabama

I keep asking why superdelegates are allowed to "endorse" a candidate prior to their own state's primary. Their input definantly has effects on the outcome of voting in those states.

Would seem superdelegates "voting" out of turn is equivalent to having a primary out of turn. Why are their "votes" counted when the FL and MI primaries aren't?

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Sara, Oklahoma

Oh, the ticker is back now...It always draws my attention.

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

good job! Stacy,
    you are smart! Jeff is coming on picture right now.

April 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |