April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David

Andersen

Can you ask the Clintons is it fair to count votes in Michigan when votes in 4 causus were never reported. Some estimates are an additional 200K votes in caucus that would favor Obama are not in the popular vote totals, since these 4 states do not report popular votes totals.

Isn't this new metric just a way so that the Clinton who get her supporters to feel that they have been cheated when she eventually does loose?

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  2. EJ - Ohio

Hi Jeffrey Toobin – nice to see you here!

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. charlie

Hillary is a strong candidate, determined and hanging in the tough fight for the nomination. America admires real grit like that, she's livin her politics and fighting for health care for all Americans. She'll be there standing after June 3rd. No doubt about it.

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Ava

Jeff- we need a pic, it's the only way we know you're for real. Speaking of which, you are a lawyer...how are you with real estate law?

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Terri

Florida had a large turnout at their election because they have a vote for property tax cut on it.

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Lesli

Wow, what an emotional – energized debate tonight on this blog. Lots of opinions and no one seems to be in the middle.

LET EVERY VOTER HAVE THEIR SAY!

Keep it going Hillary girl!

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Too funny that you are playing "Take Me Out" in the background as Hillary was talking......LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Stacy

@Michael KS: Wikipedia says a push poll is “a political campaign technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll.”

In other words, say you get a call that asks if you’d be more or less likely to vote for Obama if you knew he was a radical Muslim. Of course he’s not a radical Muslim, but now the idea is in your head. Clever, huh? And very dirty.

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Elle

In a winner takes it all Hillary would be ahead and when the remaining states have voted the popular vote will shift and shift more to her.FL and MI have to be part of the democratic process and when all marbles fall in place the nomination is Hillarys.

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Jana, Indiana

Henry, I live in Vigo County and Hillary, Bill and even Obama have been here once, but they spend more time in Indy and Evansville

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Tony

Has anyone checked for the amount of remorse that may exist among those who voted in early elections, prior to Wright controversy. Will super delegates take that into consideration?

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Stacy

Jeffrey and Erica: Yes! I mean, he's the senior legal analyst. What more does a guy have to do?

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Bonnie

Is Erica the only computer person? Job security - Erica!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Rene`, Miami FL

Hey Jeffrey , legal question: are there and actions an individual citizen can take either against the state of florida or the DNC for not counting a citizen's vote in the primaries?

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Jim in Tampa

Hey Erica and Jeff,

Question – How much of a factor was "Operation Chaos" in Pennsylvania? Is there any data that indicated how many Republican voters who switched to the Dems voted one way or another?

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Mike from Syracuse NY

Elaine, Obama spent $11 Million to cut that lead from 20% to 10%. He's not going to be able to do that in the general election.

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Jacob

hello out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Kathy, Chicago

I love James C. and Paul B. They have their own views of the world, and their energy level is great!

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Johnny

Okay, commercial...So when is Anderson & Erica hooking up ? They are awesome together.

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS - California

Jeffrey>Can we get a "permanent" page on the 360 web site that explains the Super Delegates? I can't believe the number of people I speak with that want me to explain how "that" works!

April 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Sara,
    I always watch news on ticker my tv!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

Neither candidate can close the deal because the voters won’t let them. If the voters wanted the deal to be closed they would have come out for Obama in big numbers in PA. He threw 12 million dollars at them and they still said, “no sale.”

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Joanne

Now that last picture was a bear hug for sure! wow scary

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  24. H Hagens California

Would Obama being crying if the shoe was on the other foot if he was down right now would he still not want Mich or Flr. to count than and would he be dropping out...

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Amy, Westchester, NY

Mike – from one SYR native to another I agree w/u!

Why does all this have to be sooooo complicated???

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Billi

Jamal, voters DID vote for Clinton and Obama in Florida – just more chose CLinton. Voters DID vote for Clinton in Michigan and Dodd and Kucinich and Undecided knowing it was Obama – just more for CLinton.

April 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Maureen T

Let's stick with the rules people! Rules are not meant to be broken!

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Erica you are really great with getting the avartors up I am sure you can help Jeffrey

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  29. EJ - Ohio

"If Sen. Clinton loaned her campaign $5 million, who pays her back?"

Bill Clinton will loan her 5 more million.

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Tracey - Boston

Any blogger from CNN should have a pic! 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Chuck in Alabama

For me, the arguement there it that the voters didn't change the dates of the primaries and they should have a chance to have their voices heard.

The penalty for ignoring that many voters will on result in votes for republicans or democrats in those states just staying home in protest.

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Terri

Every time I hear Hillary talk about MI and FL, it makes me sick. I wish she wouldn't say that they were fair and should count, it makes her look desperate and pathetic.

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  33. CaseyJPS - California

Sherry>I thought Clinton was GREAT, and I can't agree with you more. It's just this negative stuff. It's a real insult to the intelligence of the average voter.

April 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Jennifer in DC

Anderson, exactly! How can Clinton say that with a straight face. She can't count those votes.

April 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Sam

Good Evening Everyone, I was just curious, What happens if neither Clinton and Obama make it to the total amount of Delegates that are needed. From my understanding they will go to a SuperDelegate Conference. My question is what happens at this conference, and How many superdelegates make that final desision.

Sam

April 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Mike from Syracuse NY

The interesting thing is that the Democratic Party is so undemocratic with the superdelegates. It's as if they are saying 'sure, you can vote, but if we don't like the answer, we the Party will take control and overrule the people'.

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. EJ - Ohio

Jeffrey – our legal hero! How are you?

I don't think their expenditures should be limited. As we have seen with this election – it is also a way the American people can show whom they support. Maybe in the past it was not but look at what Barack has done online.

I think we should be "free" to give in that way. Barack is not a rich man so its not like he was loaning himself millions like Romney was.

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. ericacnn

Stacy, you're right! I think the powers that be would give Jeff a pic

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Jolene

I agree. Hillary can't claim a Michigan win. It was a beauty contest.

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Julliet

Anderson I think you guys are blowing "can't Obama win blue collar voters" out of proportion. He will win these voters when all is said and done. Why can't Hillary also close the deal?

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Genevieve M, TX

Anderson is stirring the pot– love it!

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  42. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Don't say "fair and balanced"! The phrase is tainted. But thanks.

I do think the caucuses are awful - undemocratic, incomprehensible. But those were the rules,a nd both candidates signed up for them.

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Kathy, Florida

You hooooooo Hillary your vote doesn't count down here.

Why does she keep saying that?

April 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Maya

Hi Jeffrey! Just finished The Nine. It was excellent! I really enjoyed your insight into such an important body of government.

I wish that 360 would do an segment on campaign finance rules as they stand today. It's so confusing to me!

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Bonnie

Why would she quit??!! The people don't want her to quit–don't give up Hillary!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Danny Sanders

If the DNC and most people agree that the nominee will be chosen based on total number of delgates and that Super Delegates want over turn the voice/vote of the the american peolpe. Why doesn't the DNC and the Obama campaign either make Hillary Clinton the VP and or just go into GENERAL ELECTION MODE!!!!! REMEMBER THE WORD IS SHE CAN'T WIN... PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND....

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  47. CaseyJPS - California

As I said before, Clinton is using creative math!

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Jackson

Think about it. Hillary's negative campaign strategy in Pennsylvania should have been an insult. It assumed the voters are fearful racists. Is this how you appeal to older, white, working class people?

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Renee

Jeff, what about that $2 you can elect to put in the pool for elections via your tax return. How much does that raise? Has that gone up or down since yr. 2000?

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Beverly in Utah

I started out this seaon energized, happy that I might have a real choice I could vote for without holding my nose. I'm to the point where I'm sick of it. If Hillary manages to pull off a steal of the nomination, I will be voting for the third party candidate since I can't stomach McCain either. I'm also fed up with the negative campaigning she initiates, the half-truths she propagates, and the attention to irrelevant issues. I'm sick of Republican crud, and unwilling to see the Clinton circus back running the country. God help America, we are a country in trouble.

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |