April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jeff Stevenson, Sherman, TX

To Jeffrey T. I see that some people have asked whether or not a super delegate can change their mind and switch even though they have already made their endorsement. The answer is 'YES'.

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. AnneP

So those of us in NC cannot believe it is coming to our territory and we are thrilled. What a fantastic year to have two fabulous candidates. We look forward to it. However, being a business person, I must say that hiring a person with only two years of experience is just amazing to me when you compare to the experience of the Clintons especially in the economic area. Don't we remember the years of economic surplus!!!! Boy, do we need that expertise now.

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Kelly, Austin, TX

Denise, the delegate "game" is a candidate has to get 2024 delegates NOT the "most" delegates. There is no way either of these candidates is going to reach that number. That is why this campaign should continue. Those are the rules as set by the Democrat Party. It is some in the party who want to redefine the rules.

April 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Jana, Indiana

Henry, I live in Vigo County and Hillary, Bill and even Obama have been here once, but they spend more time in Indy and Evansville.

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Billi

Anderson, instead of the constant numbers on Hillary voters not voting for Barack – and vice versa – why not just ask us why not?

I am a die hard Hillary supporter. I will vote for Barack if he is the nominee AFTER he convinces me he really knows what he is doing. I am not sure yet.

Why won't Barack fans votes for Hillary?

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Good point! Where's my picture? Erica, help me out here . . . .

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Krista

I am so glad that Jeffrey Toobin is on the blog. I have been reading your book "The Nine" it is a great read and gets me through my DC commute!

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, Ohio

Paul Begala has got to be kidding! This is a nightmare for the Democratic Party; they will be lucky to merely suvive this election!

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Tony

This has been a different race once Obama's mask started slipping off! WIll super delegates overlook the fact that Obama accumulated his lead prior to the Wright issue?

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Fred G. Toronto

Megan....as a fellow Torontonian I disagree about Hillary. She is working against the best chance the dems have of winning in November....Its long past the time for her to step aside.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. sherry

Come on Anderson-Could you guys stop gushing over Sen. Obama?My question is what is wrong with a strong, smart, woman willing to compete for a job?

Also, it's the people in each state that keep her in the race for the White House–remember politicians are serve the will of the people.

The media needs to stop influencing democracy! The women of CNN should look to Sen. Clinton for inspiration since there is not one show on CNN that has a woman at the helm.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Mike from Syracuse NY

Mary H. Yes Clinton would be ahead if the dems did winner-take-all like the Reps.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Mary Esther Salinas

The hatrad towards Bill and Hillary started from the Republicans that hate Bill Clinton For Kicking Bush, Sr. out of the White House after 1 term.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Lesli

Glen from Up north

It does matter to Canadians who wins this election. Canada had a great relationship with Bill Clinton, but just yesterday Bush had a meeting with Prime Minister Harper and the Mexican President. In his speech of introduction he never once mentioned Harper who stood right next to him, but six times he mentioned the Pres from Mexico.

Canadians are the major US trading partner. Heck over 60% of the jobs lost in Canada are moved to the states, including my husbands. It does matter who is the Pres of the USA.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS - California

The "low road" is definitely not worth the risk. Why can't we be professional and show integrity (and honesty about how we really feel)?

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  16. elaine

interesting that the mainstream media is making such a big deal out of Clinton winning by 10%. how many times has Obama won in the past primaries by 10%? what about the fact that Clinton was at one point up by 20% in PA?

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  17. EJ - Ohio

"I’m torn: I want to thank everyone who’s welcoming me (thanks Megan! ) but I don’t want to tear up the momentum the blog has right now of pretty much following the appropriate topic."

Oh don't worry about that Glen. Post as you'd like.

April 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Sara, Oklahoma

Is it just my tv, or does anyone else notice that the ticker isn't at the bottom of the screen?

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar

I love John King does best magic wall and I agree with Plain Jane! I hope Hillary Clinton will win too!
    Hi Jeff Tobbin!

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Andrea from Canada

I completely agree with you Melinda!

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Pat Owen

I think the super delegates should be done away with, the voice of the people are the ones who should elect the next president, I hope it is not Obama. We need to move on. Our country is in a mess. We are going to lose to the Republicans is this continues.

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Bryan C in CA

Someone mentioned above fuzzy math, how 10 million with 60,000 donors, remember those 60,000 was new donors, not all donors, I among many old donors also donated that is how she got to the 10 million.

Go Hillary, the democrats need to remember you need all Hillary supports in November no matter how you spin it, and we don't like Obama, it Obama is the nominee, he needs her as VP and even then some Hill fans may still vote for McCAin because we have big issues with Obama. I feel cheated that all African Americans are going for Obama, and the press is just glossing it over. Its racist talk about people!

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Chuck in Alabama

This election has proven two things:

The DNC needs to wake up and revamp their process.

Polls aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. William

I also keep hearing that Obama can't close the deal. I truly wonder if most political teams on news shows ever played sports. They don't understand that the last man standing with the higher score did close the deal and that will beObama. Even when a basketball team can outscore their opponent by 10 points in the 3rd quarter, the fact they are down by 135 makes that effort irrelevant. Are people really this oblivious?

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Aimee in Minnesota

Obama is suicide for the democratic party. It is obvious to me that many people will never vote for him. It is not because of his race. It is because we have too many questions and feel he has not proven himself in the national scene yet. He has not even served a full year in the US senate yet. When people say Hillary is ruining the party. Check the number of people who partipated in caucuses maybe 1% of the population and those are the only people who really care about party politics everyone else just votes for who they like.

April 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Obama did congrautlate Hillary last night.....he even told the crowd not to boo Hillary

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  27. JEFFREY TOOBIN

The Supreme Court has said that you can't limit the expenditures of candidates. It's a violation of their free speech rights.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Stacy

Hi Jeffrey. As the senior legal analyst, I think you should demand a picture.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jeff: Nice to see you on the blog! I always enjoy your input during the primaries, you are one of the few who is always fair and balanced!

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Melinda

Hi Jeff,

Do you think we shoud do away with the delegate system altogether and go with the popular vote only? I think it's out of date, really.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Beth in CT

Hey bloggers, joining a little late tonight and after a few days off – this is so addicting – I've been missing this!

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Jolene

@Marci: I heard that also. I surely don't want to see any more negative campaigning at this point. It makes you wonder what both candidates have up their sleeves.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think at the end of the day the voters will have the say. Labeling all the little groups just isn't proving to be accurate. The pundits don't know much more than the rest of us.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Glen Up North – ok only 39 more minutes, stay up and watch the rest of the show... You can do it. Tomorrow's Thursday (almost Friday.... what the heck..)...

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Omar Mohey

To John King

Thanks for your map information, I hope there is another map that shows counties to scale in terms of number of voters so counties with more voters look bigger than the ones with less voters.

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Peter Fiedelholtz

Please stop saying Clinton won by 10% it is not true!!!! She won by 9%

April 23, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Oops, my grammar was messed up in my last post... I was trying to watch Anderson and type, and that doesn't work too well. 😀

I have to ask: wasn't there some expose where CNN discovered that a lot of McCain voters are going out into Dem primaries and voting for Hillary because they think she's less electable? Or did I imagine that?

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Jim in Tampa

It won't help her Marci. Even in the unlikely event she wins the nomination, there is no way she wins the general – even if Obama ends up as her VP.

No way it will ever happen.

At this point, I think McCain wins the general and that's a very bad thing. He will not turn around the economy.

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Val in PA

Obama's money is coming from 1.5 million donors with an average of just under $100. This would be about $150M. Also, there are several donors who can afford the $2300 max. donation. He has celebrity donors and some of the local affluent people here in Montgomery Co., PA are giving him the maximum donation. There is a steady flow of money. Some people give $25-$50 every pay which adds up to $100-200 dollars a month, per donor. Many are trying to reach the max through incremental donations. Not sure where Hillary's money comes from???????????????

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Joanne

Following the discussion about Barack Obama – one characteristic I've noticed is that he has difficulty arguing/debating with Hillary a woman that I think when all is said and done that he respects as a colleague. A senior democrat that he chooses to take the high road against. His style is not an argumentative and one and the United States should be proud of.
    The fact that her campaign has had to stoop so low speaks volumes overall.
    A Canadian who is obsessed with this coverage! Thanks, Joanne

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  41. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.. busy night here.

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Liz

AC, I am a 54 year old woman. Initially I was in Hillary's camp, not anymore. I am behind Obama 100%. Hillary is superficial and offensive. She has many faces, a strong candidate which is great however, she is "brutal" and extremely negative. If the shoe were on the other foot, I believe Obama would have been out of this game long ago.

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Barb H

I am pittsburgh, allegheny county pa voter. I support Hillary 100%. We are thrilled she won here. If Obama becomes the nominee, I WILL vote for John McCain. I will not support Obama and many, many black and white dems here say the same thing. He isn't ready and the party will lose if he is chosen.

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Nancy L., Athens GA

I would like to hear some discussions about the upcoming congressional races. In particular, how do the dynamics of these races affect the choices of the superdelegates involved?

Maybe not on tonight's show, but sometime.

For 6 weeks we have heard the same question asked over and over: "What does Clinton need to do to win?" Enough already.

April 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. micheal kidd

Hi,
    Just gave $100.00 to Hillary. To let her a chance .I will support barak in general elections but
    alot ALOT middle class will move to Mc Cain and honestly would too if not for WAR .
    Mc Cain wins by 10% General election not close and thats shame ..

Hes not electable ..Not because hes black ...just wrong type black alot whites believe he speaks down to them .Regan Democrats move to
    Mc Cain ..
    Will be interesting to see ..she gets closer than expected inNC ,
    she wins Indiana by 10% ..she wins west vrg,kentucky,narrow victory in oregon ,and puerto rica where she wins big and than shes ahead narrowly in public vote ..plus Mich/FLA disenfranchised .

micheal

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Mike from Syracuse NY

It seems that everyone is ignoring the math. Before yesterday, HRC needed to win 59% of the remaining delegates, including the superdelegates, to win the nomination. Obama only needed 43%. HRC only got 55% so she lost ground. Now she needs even more of the remaining delegates. John King, run the numbers on your wall.

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Lesli

Hey Erica

Will there be any discussion tonight that is not about the primaries or the Candidates?

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Melinda

It would be interesting if each candidate were only allowed to have a certain amount of money and time to run for President. It would be so much better, in my opinion, for the process to be shorter.

Also, if they each had an equal amount of money to run with we'd get a better election. Besides, wouldn't this money be better used in Africa or in poor areas of our country?

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Jeff Stevenson, Sherman, TX

I remember hearing last night from the League of First Time Voters that they were more upset at Obama because he has never showed them what kind of change he can bring them. If he is all about 'change' then why hasn't he tried to change the DNC? Hillary has tried to change the DNC by standing up for the voters in Michigan & Florida. It woke me up and made it clear why I support her and not him.

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Peter Fiedelholtz

The reason that Hillary Clinton is in this situation is that she has run a poor campaign. She does not think ahead and plan for the contingencies. She thought the election would be over after super tuesday. She was wrong and this has most likely cost her the nomination. Do we want a president who does not think ahead?

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |