April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Carla Ontario Canada

I agree this election is exhausting and I could not even imagine being on the trail. Hillary did an excellent job and speech last night give her the credit that is due her. Obama was very negative last night. Did he congratulate her?
    Can someone explain to me why people keep saying that they hate
    Hillary(&Bill). They had more mud slung at them over the years but nothing stuck.
    WoW, she even raised $10million, I'd call that momentum!

April 23, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Billi

Look at Obama's comments about not connecting with the senior voters. Well, we connect with Hillary and we have money. That;s where the $10 million and the 60,000 may come from. And you can count on us to vote!

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  3. JEFFREY TOOBIN

I love the debate over the percentages. YOu need to be better at math than I am even to understand the controversy.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Johnny Blade

C'mon guys.... We all know who has more experience. I think it's pretty much over for Obama. It was a nice thought that a black man could be president in this day and age. I think it's going to take more time. Let Hillary get started.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. elaine

is part of the reason hillary raised so much money so fast because of her very prominent ad on cnn.politics.com that asks for contributions?

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Ava

Chuck in Alabama- Obama has the money he has because he has many more people donating to his campaign. I myself have donated 3 times, to Sen Obama. It's not the max amount. I'm not made of money like alot of other supporters. I donate what I can. I think it proves the point that little, but small can make a difference when enough people band together. Thats the idea of the campaign...take back this country.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Jenn

I am so tired of everyone lumping Michigan and Florida together when they speak of the two states that are not yet being counted. They are two very different states and primary elections went very differently in each. I agree that Michigan probably shouldn't be counted because Obama wasn't on the ticket...but I feel Florida should absolutely be counted. Florida had the largest voter turn out in primary history, BOTH candidates were on the ticket and Florida picked Clinton. By not counting it saying that Florida voted early and candidates were not able to campaign there is not a legitimate argument. Most Americans are intelligent enough to follow the national campaigns and make an educated decision without candidates campaigning in their state.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Andrea from Canada

Hello all, I am a little late logging on tonight!

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Kathy from NJ

where is the PROOF that Hillary pulled in $10 million in 24 hours? Is all we have to go on the report of some guy from her campaign – the campaign of lies?

I want to see a financial report for the past 24 hours. If they are reporting this, they must have records, right???????

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Kelly, Austin, TX

I also dont think Hillary should drop out until every last vote is counted. Some people seem to think this election is all about "the Party"....they would do well to remember it is about the VOTERS! We voters come from all walks of life, some lifelong Democrats, some Independants and some fed up Republicans. The Party seems to want to forget that if Howard Dean had not made such a draconian decision to disenfranchise 2 huge states, we would have a clear front runner by now and there would not be any of this talk about "dividing the Party" and saying someone should be dropping out. It would do the Party well to turn their ire towards the one who created this situation the Party now finds itself in and stop trying to find a way to justify one or the other candidate to drop out to save the Party! If Howard Dean is the CEO of the Party, he should be fired. Instead, the Party wants cover up for his incompetence by continually trying to say this is dividing us. Howard Dean is the one who divided the Party. As a voter, I am not divided at all.

April 23, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Steve, Raritan NJ

When the primaries started it was understood that the winner of the nomination was the person who got to 2025 delegates. Now suddenly, the Clinton campaign is suggesting that it's not that at all, but who is winning the right demographics. I'm amazed and quite honestly offended by the number of people who appear to buy into that theory. Using that logic, superdelegates have the power to tell 35 million people who came out to vote "thanks, but you were all wrong". If that can really happen, then what the hell was this process all about??? A complete waste of everyones time. Once again the Democratic party leadership is showing how totally clueless they all are. This is a disaster waiting to happen. And all this talk about party unity is nonsense. I am 49, but it doesn't take a genious to know that if Clniton gets the nomination in some back room deal, many of the young first time voters will NOT vote Democrat, simply because their first experience with the process will confirm all their suspicions.

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Michael, KS

Not pushing roll, 'PUSH POLLING'

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Maya

Love the bear on the trampoline but I really miss Seamanship! C'mon 360, give us some Seamanship for old time's sake!

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Rene`, Miami FL

I've been supporting Hillary but I think it is finally time for her to leave this race, someone needs to give her a shot of reality it's not happening. She needs to step aside and finally let the real battle begin if we want the white house in November, democrats need to unite and and let the powers that be know we are ALL going to support Obama!

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Good point on why Hillary can't close the deal. She's losing. No one expects her to settle the issue. The best she can hope for is to keep the nomination open as long as possible - waiting for lightning to strike.

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Cynthia, Everson PA

It's only 10 points that Clinton won, look at the map of PA, Obama got almost half the vote with only a few counties. She had the backing of Rendall who is being loyal to his long time friend. But what everyone over looks is the fact just because Rendall supports her, doesn't mean she is the best for this country. The only people supporting her in this state are poor people who are uneducated and old.

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I have heard that Hillary Clinton is 9 million dollars in debt, Erica does John King or Bill Schneider know if this is true?. If it is the case then if she made 10 million and she pays her debts (which would be the RESPONSIBLE thing to do) then she has only got 1 million dollars to go for the next 2 weeks. Good luck on that one

Oh the Beat 360 was funny tonight!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Edward-GA

Leslie, How was Obama negative last night? One of the first things he did when he came out to speak was congratulate Sen. Clinton on her victory. I feel that the media is blowing the problems for Barack Obama out of proportion so that the race can continue. One thing that I do like about AC 360 is that things are kept fair and balanced!

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica!
    no problem, I am glad see you!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Stuart Falk

Besides Pennsylvania's demographics, the biggest factor in Clinton's victory was the support of the nGovernor's political machine – worth at least 10 points. Obama would – one would expect – that suuport in the general election should he get the nomination. So, Clinton's victory was by no means a major turn-around.

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Vanessa

Those donors are crazy to be fooled intosending Hillary money. The Clintons are rich! They are poor. LOL She is smart.

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Kathy, Chicago

The web cam is great! There is all kinds of activity tonight.

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Michelle Banks

Forgot to say hi to all the bloggers, Anderson and Erica. I LOVE your show:-)

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Teresa, Kent, OH

I wonder if the numbers were reversed, would OBAMA supporters say that he won PA by 10% or would they say: wow, Obama beat Hillary by 8.6%? : )

No matter who won it, the numbers would still be stated as 10%.

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Marci

It was stated that Hillary can only win by keeping up the negative campaign. Generally negative campaigning turns voters off. So how is that going to help her ultimately?

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Glen Up North

I'm torn: I want to thank everyone who's welcoming me (thanks Megan! 😀 ) but I don't want to tear up the momentum the blog has right now of pretty much following the appropriate topic. Let's just say I hush up for now and appreciate all the welcomes. 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Steve - Atlanta

Anderson... would love to hear someone explain why Obama is said to fare so well with the more highly educated voters? I see the results by demongraphics and see this to be true... I just don't understand why. Both Clinton and Obama are highly educated. And if it's legit that the more intellectual of us choose Obama... then what does that say about the Super Delagates? I surely hope they intellectual. No comments!!! 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Julliet

So much about John King and his magic board in the new york times. Sometimes he makes it sound as if Obama was running against John McCain in the general election and not Hillary in the way he works his magic board.

29. Valerie

Why do people not see this campaign for what it really is? Like it or not Hillary has die-hard supporters just like Barak has die-hard supporters. It's a contest!!! Hillary's supporters just live in the "bigger" states. She needs to stop acting like the smaller states don't count. Obviously they do and that's why Barak is leading in this race. Psychology does not equate to math. The math, fortunately for Obama, reflects the American people's desire for change. Hillary needs to give it up!

30. Lesli

Hey Terri

I do remember he did thank his supporters in Penn, but I also remember he never used Clinton's name in the entire speech. It was quite noticable.

Last I hear last night the margin was 55% Clinton, and 45% Obama. Looked like a 10 point win to me – by CNN's calculation anyway. I'll take another look at the CNN site to see what the final tally is to date.

31. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

@CaseyJPS.. I answered you.but am still awaiting moderation. Yes, far too much money. It's just a terrible reality of elections.

32. Renee Osterwalder/Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Hello Anderson and Erica: I have a question as to why the mainstream media does not focus on the fact that Obama overwhelmingly won the Dems Abroad vote. I was at the primary pre-vote party in Zuerich and it was 10 to 1 supporters for Barack. I think this is important to impress on voters at home.

I also think it makes a big difference how others(Expats) view the race from outside the US.

Anderson ...you know I love you.....it is 4 am here! LOL!

33. Missy

PLEASE ! Give me a break ... Hillary better not quit! The purpose of the primary is to decide the candidate through the process... let the process run its course.
    Where is our party? They wanted every vote to count in 2000, now we want to ignore votes?
    They shoud try coming to Texas and investigating all the goings on during the caucus here ... the fact that any delegates were awarded to either candidate after that fiasco defies the imagination.
    I hope she fights on ... she has the experience we need to get this country back on its feet again.
    What does she lack? An elitist attitude ... thank heavens for that!

34. Vincent

If Sen. Clinton loaned her campaign $5 million, who pays her back?

35. Jeanne

Obama backers keep repeating that Independents could not vote in the PA primary. In reality, many of them actually did vote by very easily changing their party affiliation to Democrat in the final weeks of the PA campaign. I saw this first hand, and excitement to vote for Hillary was the driver in at least 2 cases I know of personally. Why do Obama supporters not get challenged on this point? What evidence do they have for their assertion – it is in fact a very misleading contention.

36. EJ - Ohio

Anderson – your tie matches your eyes tonight! Very nice.

37. Mike Considine

What is Hillary going to do when Obama wins this and the Republicans start to run ads of her saying he is not elect able because he is an elitist or that her and McCain are ready to run the country on day one and he can only give good speeches.
    She has run her campaign to destroy the Democratic party and proves she cares about one thing herself!

38. CaseyJPS - California

Anderson or Erica>Is the Election Center studio actually a different studio apart from any of the shows, or is it "shared" or a quick turnaround rehash of another set?

39. Bryce K. Dixon

Question, to the panel, Obama as the most money, is receiving overwhelming support not only from your panel but the rest of the media as well.

Day in and day out all we hear is how Hillary can't win, Obama is ahead, the math is against her.

Yet she keeps winning, her seemingly very loyal supporter sends her monies and have yet to defect with all the odds against her.

Maybe you guys are missing something? Plus if Hillary gets the nomination why would black voters and other Obama supporter defect but if he wins Hillary's supporter won't defect, this seems to be a one sided reasoning.

40. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Chuck: If Obama gets the nomination the Republicans will be investigating the money trail. In fact, if I am not mistaken, they already are.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Wendell Lawter

We Democrats seem to have it all messed up. It should be winner take all in the state delegates. By splitting these delegates, we're getting what we asked for.
    If it were winner take all, (as it should be) we would have an experienced proven leader ahead in the delegate race. Not a "trial by fire" candidate, learning on the go.
    I'm one of the ones that simply feels we need proven leadership, even if, God forbid, it's in the form of John McCain.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Michelle- Atlanta

Hillary did just as the New York Times said. She took the low road to victory and if I we're one of her supporters I would be ashamed.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Aimee in Minnesota

The democratic rules never said the superdelegates could not consider the popular votes in Florida and Michigan to see who is ahead in the count. It only said the delegates would not be seated. The fact is people in those states did vote for Hillary Clinton and their vote counts were certified by the state and they should be considered. I wish I could get the tapes of all the pundits from back in January who said it should be the popular vote that the superdelegates condider not the elected delegates. The elected delegates are not much fairer considering that in states where Senator received the popular vote she got less delegates. Also please note that Mellencamp is not only an Obama supporter. He is doing a concert for Hillary next week.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Barbara Whitmore

Two wrongs will never make a right. The super delegates backed the wrong candidate to go up against the Republicans in the beginning, and now that it has been shown who the American people want as their delegate they are again going to make the wrong choice. We need Hilliary Clinton's fight stamina to turn this country around. She can win against John McCain. She has proved herself over and over. Super delegates, do the right thing and now, or it will be your choice that tears our party apart.

Barbara from Georgia

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Henry

Vigo County has three universities, yet everyone seems to continuously overlook any contribution from the western side of the state.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. LaNeisa

Tell your numbers guy to point out other demographic votes for Obama. He always shows "African American" vote as if that is all the vote Barack gets.

That feeds the undercurrent of racism and this guy knows it I think.

Dallas, Texas

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  47. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Dude, Hillary isn't continuing cause she's so selflessly doing the Dems a service by running, she's running because she WANTS to win. That's understandable, but the math is against her, which is why people want her to drop. Even if Obama can't win the swing states now, once he doesn't have to compete with Clinton for those votes, he will definitely well in those states if he were the Democratic nominee (because people will vote for him because he is a democrat, if nothing for else).

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. mona

John King I like your analysis. However, I hope BO presidency is not depending on black votes; we make 12% of the population.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Karyn - MN

Question: once a Super Delegate commits to or endorses one candidate or another, can they change their mind & switch?

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. EJ - Ohio

Kim P. – last I heard is she won by 9.2%.

As far as the media getting that right – its too late. Its already passed.

Clinton gets to claim double digits even if its 8 or 9.

April 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm |