April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jeff Stevenson, Sherman, TX

Does the amount of money really matter when you are going to place your vote? Last I checked, this is America and anyone should be able to run for office regardless of how much they have in their pockets.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Just wondering, would Hilary be in the lead if the Democratic party assigned their delgates like the Republican Party does (winner take all). Since she is claiming that she won the bigger states, just wondering how that would look as a hypothetical.

Also, did the Democratic party alway have proportional delegate assignment. I don't remember this in past elections or maybe I just didn't watch as closely.

Enjoyed the coverage last weeks. Bring on Indiana and NC....

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  3. JEFFREY TOOBIN

Hi everyone, just checking in, saying hello, seeing what people want to discuss while I wait for my next panel near the end of the show.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Michelle Banks

I agree with Jason from CA...I am getting a bit irritated with Hillary Clinton. Yes the math DOES count, and it's not about her own personal agenda and her claiming to be a fighter. It's also about being a team player. Obama has helped bring in so many new voters and seems to be not just about the same old politics in Washington. He is leading in this race, there is no way she can catch up, so she should just bow out gracefully and help.unite the Democratic Party.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Kathy from NJ

I think the question you should be asking is why HRC cannot close the deal.

She has the name, she was ahead from the beginning, she thought that this thing would be over on Super Tuesday in February, Bill has all those Washington ties and people who owe him favors, she has the backing of old-time Democratic party leaders.

SO, why can Hillary not close the deal???

She had everything in her favor, but yet she cannot win.

You guys have the wrong focus and the wrong questions.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck>I've wondered about lower income persons donating to Obama's campaign as well.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Alys

I wish they would just settle on a candidate already! McCain is laughing all the way.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Omar Mohey

I heard a comment/question in your show few minutes ago that Obama is not connecting with blue collar workers. I believe he can't as long as Clinton is on the way. He and She are basically having the same policies. Unfortunately it comes down to the race and personality.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Kathy, Florida

Hi Anderson!!! Hi Erica!!!

I am so happy to see you two!!

I think CNN is getting to racial dividing all these people into categories.

We are all Americans, no matter what we do or what color our skin is.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Christine

@CaseyJPS – Obama pulled his name off the ballot in Michigan, he didn't feel Michigan was important enough. He was on the ballot in Florida and had a commercial run in Florida "by mistake" – he lost anyway.

April 23, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  11. plain jane in Alabama

I hope WV will vote for hillary help Hillary win the nomination ......

I love John's map!!!!!!!!! and his info...that really helps us know more about the electtion

vote Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Jolene

It's cool seeing John King do his "Magic" on the board via the webcam. Nice to see both the webcam angle and the TV angle.

Indiana and North Carolina should prove to be interesting primaries.

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

"10 million dollars in 24 hours, and 60,000 “New” donors??
    Sounds like fuzzy math to me."

Yeah I want to see the evidence of that.

I heard that the Clinton campaign HOPED to get $10 million in 24 hours. Maybe that's how they report – on what they hope to get. lol

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Yvonne

Hillary has not won more than 58% of the vote in any state except one. Whereas Obama has won 60% up to 79% of the votes in 16 states. Hillary has proven that she cannot get over 60% of any state except Arkansas. She cannot win without getting over 60% in all the rest of the states. The Fat Lady is at the door.

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  15. AJ, Minneapolis

Meagan O

You are so accurate....

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar

MIchael,
    Pushing roll is magic wall election like John King did.

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  17. CaseyJPS - California

Jennifer NC> Do you have to subscribe (on-line) to get that story about John King and the board?

April 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Christina, Notre Dame, IN

Thanks for the shout out, John King.

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Billi

Obama has fuzzy math donors too – it is called bundling. It's from the unions (who represent the special interest groups he seems to be against). That is really fuzzy.

Please take Clinton donors seriously. We support her endlessly.

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Maureen T

Cool map John King!

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Ava

Hi Blogees, Anderson and Eric!

So how's it looking in Indiana? Who's leading and by how much? Not that the polls are right.

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Frank

If Obama can pick up 70 to 80% of Clinton supporters as exit polls have shown if he is the nominee, what happens to her argument "he can't win the big states?"

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Lesli

Hey AC

Everyone was talking about the double digit issue before the primary. Well she made it – barely- but I haven't heard the expression used since. Any explaination?

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Renee Osterwalder/Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Why is everyone asking the question "why can't he close the deal"? Isn't it actually up to Hilliary Clinton to close the deal? She is or rather was the "inevitiable" candidate. She is the one supposedly holding the "experience and leadership" cards. And an Ex Prez as a Husband to boot!!

So now I ask the right question "Why can't SHE close the deal?"

April 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Gwen from NJ

Congratulations to Senator Clinton on winning by ~ 9.3%. Congratulations to Senator Obama for closing the gap down to that margin. Both candidates did well in Penn. Senator Clinton spent less money, but keep in mind that Senator Clinton has a $10M debt, compared to Senator Obama $0. He raised $40M in March. So, if Senator could have spent more, believe me she would have done that. She could only spend $9M, I understand. Senator Clinton is way behind in delegate counts, but, she should keep going. Let the people decide. Best wishes to both campaigns and candidates. Now, I want to appeal to the campaigns to avoid the personal snipping. The Republicans will take care of that later. Yep, it is politics as usual and some of us are just tired of it. I want a new type of government and a new type of President.

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  26. ericacnn

Hi, everyone - sorry I was a little late logging on!

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  27. sue

I wonder why everyone seems to think that when the general election takes place, the primary environment will rule the voter's mind. In November won't the voter be making a decision on issues that are in play then and not be making a decision on whether or not their preferred candidate lost a primary

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Jo Ann

I am really intrigued by the new Planet In Peril "Battlelines" ad!

@Chuck in Alabama: Hi! I have to agree with you on that one. Obama has always had an elitist attitude, but the San Francisco comments magnified it.

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Maureen T

It appears Hilary has friends with deep pockets...

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Richard Furuglyas

Please, please, please, I am tired of hearing "why can't Obama close the deal". May I ask why can't Hillary close the deal

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  31. CaseyJPS - California

I asked this before. Is anyone disturbed by all of this money that's being raised?

April 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Jim in Tampa

Ok, enough of the panel – let's get Erica on the tube please!

Chuck in Alabama – they are all elitists, you don't think Hillary and McCain are elitists with their backgrounds? Get real.

When are the candidates and you guys (the media) going to start talking about the issues instead of this nonesense?? I have yet to hear about the issues that are critical to me on this program. Not really.

33. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

What will John King do a week after the November election when there will be no more breaking down of the States......he might go through magic wall withdrawls

34. Byron E. Price

I keep hearing that Obama cannot close the deal. Please Anderson asks the question, why can't Hillary close the deal? Hillary has name recognition, establishment backing, and a committed voting block that comprises the majority of the population–women. I think the questions or concerns should work both ways.

35. Terri

I agree Karen, he was never expected to win and the fact that he closed a 20% gap hasn't even been mentioned today that I have heard.

36. DALE SAUNDERS

There seems to be an assumption that Obama will lose to the same demographics that Hilliary won in. What a rediculous assumption. Those folks are still democrats.

37. Bryan C in CA

I think Hillary's win was a great win. I want to address this negative ad that NC rep want to run against Obama, on the behalf of Republicans. If the democrats want to have that ad pulled they need to pull the DNC ad against McCain now running on CNN. Fair is fair....

Go Hillary, all the way, and You know what once our GOV of CA speaks for McCain a lot of CA would go for McCain over Obama, remember only SF is really his base the rest of the state is up for grabs..(besides hollywood)

38. Liseette

Don't you all find this as goofy as I do?

Why not be the first kid on the block to say Hillary lost a long time ago
    And stop pretending she has a chance, this just fuels her fire
    Announce Barack will be the nominee and lets end this madness
    Americans are fed up with this-we know hillary is crazy and won't let go but, all she is accomplishing is to trash Barack and the Democratic Party.
    Why let her lead you around by the nose–you the Media have the power to stop this.

39. Chuck in Alabama

Casey, The amazing amounts of cash are scarey, but, you have to remember that they are being spent in the states where the campaigns are run. That can't be a bad thing.

I'm more interested in knowing the answer to this question:

If the individual cap is $2,300, Obamas base is poor college students and inner city resdients, (yes, I know he has some upper income supporters, but, 2,300 is the cap), where IS all his money coming from? People that can't afford to give?

40. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Sweet Dem commercial that just came on! So that's how they'll try to keep McCain down while they sort themselves out. A good strategy, I must say.

But really, was Hillary's predictable win such a victory that it's "turned the tide" of the election? CNN said it best, I think: no. What do you guys think?

41. Kim P. Atlanta, GA

Will someone at CNN or Anderson Cooper tonight make the correction that Hillary Clinton has not won Pennsylvania by double digits. As of this moment she is down to almost 8.6 % lead. Not all the votes are in in Pennsylvania, yet no one is saying this at this moment. She stressed a double digit lead was important. She has not done this.

42. Dr. Harpriya Sidhu

This year belongs to an honest candidate and that is clearly Barack Obama .Senator Clinton just doesnt seem genuine to me at all.She seems artificial ,fake and full of herself.

43. Billi

Heather, I agree that thriving under pressure is SO presidential. Thank you for pointing that out.

44. Ed in Ohio

AC, give it a rest. How could he close the deal? She has already said that she won't quit until the convention. How can he close the deal? Perhaps winning twice as many states, more populare vote and more pledged delegates is not good enough for you. He is winning the nomination unless the superdelegates steal it away from him. Don't contribute to that. He gained 15% in 6 weeks...that is closing the dea.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  45. DeniseGA

I don't think Hillary Clinton should drop out!
    I also don't think she could win, but they both need to chill out!
    Our goal as Democrats is to beat McCain, and she is tearing the party apart!

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Hillary only mentions states in speeches when she wins them......on a few occasions when she has lost she did not even bother to thank the people who even voted for her. At times she has not been very gracious in losing. Obama has offered congrats to Clinton and a few Republicians at times

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Tricia- NH

When you count all the states voted-she does have the popular vote. Wouldn't Obama count those in her place? If positions-as they stand now-were reversed, you can bet Obama would count those votes. Every vote should count and they count for Hillary.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Maureen T

Happy hump day everyone! Congrats to Hilary's win last night!...Let us not count Barack out just yet! It's the 2nd overtime period and still anybody's game!

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  49. CaseyJPS - California

Sue (from New Zealand)>I'd like to hear more of your perspective. That's interesting and I would have to agree with much of it.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Michael, KS

What exactly is 'push polling'?

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |