April 23rd, 2008

Live Blog From the Anchor Desk 4/23/2008

Tonight, it's on to Indiana with new life and new numbers for Hillary Clinton and some new questions about Barack Obama.

Anderson will be joined by the best political team on television including a panel of Carl Bernstein, Gloria Borger and Jeffrey Toobin.  John King is doing his thing at the magic election board and Bill Schneider goes digging for political gold by data mining the exit polling.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early.  We’ll turn the camera on at 9:45p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Peter Fiedelholtz

You need to focus on the fact that Hillary Clinton does not tell the truth about anything. Her strategy is just say it–the press will repeat and it becomes true. This is what she is doing about the popular vote.

Why are people only saying that Indiana is important wheh North Carolina has more delegates?

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Denise

The media's Hillary lovefest is disgusting. According to the Democrat rules, this is a delagate game and Barack is winning.

I didn't realize we were electing a President of the Blue Collar states.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Lesli

Last night Clinton said shes not a quitter. Why should she quit? The media (sorry for the reference) would have nothing to talk about. I'm with Sue, November can't come soon enough.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Niles - Louisiana

10 million dollars in 24 hours, and 60,000 "New" donors??
    Sounds like fuzzy math to me.

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Billi

Please talk about the $10 million for Hillary in 24 hours! Lots of us want this candidate to keep going. If you don't believe Pennsylvania – believe the money trail.

April 23, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Jennifer in DC

I agree Megan. I'm not a Clinton supporter, but I think it's way to close to expect her to bow out at this point. I certainly wouldn't if I was her.

April 23, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Megan O.
    I agree with you too. I don't think Hillary Clinton drop the race.

April 23, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Jonathan

Why isn't anyone asking why Hillary Clinton "can't close the deal"?

April 23, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Karen

What's wrong with you guys? Obama was down by 20% in PA just a few weeks ago. Nobody expected him to win that state. He cut Clinton's lead to under 10% in 6 weeks. She has not "won" PA - she has survived PA.

Why are the commentators falling for her spin?

April 23, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Heather

All I know is that she seems to thrive under the pressure. She just keeps going. She is amazing!

April 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Jackson

Clinton had name recognition, Obama had to build recognition. Closing a 20+ lead down to 10 was a very big feat for anyone. It shows extreme weakness, not to mention a negative female stereotype of being catty, when you scratch and claw your way to the top.

April 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Cowboy Jack

Sen. Obama should DROP OUT OF THE RACE, not Sen. Clinton.....

Obama has made it clear that he's got serious problems w/ swing voters in swing states (OH, PA, and FL)....

It's now clear Obama cannot beat McCain in Nov w/o those states

April 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Terri

Lesli, you're completely wrong, not only did he thank the people of PA for their support, he congratulated Clinton on her win.

April 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. CaseyJPS - California

EJ>...and cute, too.

April 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS - California

Erica! Where r u?

April 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Billi

Anderson, you may be trying to have an open debate here but this panel is 3 of 4. Bernstein and Toobin and you are looking for any reason to diminish a LARGE win by Hillary. Gloria has been more open minded.

April 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I don't think Hillary should drop out until all the states have voted but if after that she will have to think long and hard about continuing if she is still behind like she is now

April 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Judy

I agree with Lesli. I hope the majority of NC is ready to vote.

Judy
    NC

April 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Jennifer in DC

Good evening everyone! Watching AC tonight on CNN HD, gotta love it. 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

Welcome to AC360! Glen up north.
    Nice have you be here this program and join blog with us. 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Glen Up North

At risk of deviating from the topic at hand: thanks EJ! 😀 I will now behave. 😉

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  22. CaseyJPS - California

Lorie Ann>Thanks for that comment about $.

Does this bother anyone besides me? I'm distraught over the amount of money "we" are donating to fuel these campaigns, not to mention the amount of time and energy. Think of what we could achieve in our communities if we focussed this kind of attention and money locally. This is truly disturbing and disappointing.

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Lori, Boston

Hi Anderson,

Great information about the election. It's really getting exciting.

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Lesli

Hey Chuck

Your right about Candy, she missed her calling as a high school principal.

Did anyone notice during the Clinton speech last night was very positive, and without the attacks, while Obamas speech totally avoided any mention of Pennsylvania.

By the way why does everyone keep saying sees hurting the party. She is doing the Dems a service by vetting a candidate that may not be suitable to win the election in Nov.

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Jolene

Hello Bloggers! Yes, the democratic race continues on. It is always interesting to hear what everyone has to say after a primary.

April 23, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Chuck in Alabama

Hillary didn't make him look elitist, he did that on his own.

April 23, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Zenta, New York, NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and all!

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Sue , Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Erica and Anderson and bloggees,

I am not an American but I am so sick of the elections coverage. I feel for you guys who have to decide who to vote for. Being the cynic I am, a leopard does nto change its spots, the same logic applies to the politicians – dont trust any of the politicians. I shudder to think about the Bill and Hilary show in the White House...cant trust Obama, cant trust McCain... What a quandry !

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Jennifer NC

Hello everyone! Be sure to check out the great article about John King and his magic board in yesterday's New York Times.

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Billi

Barack, not credible? Guys, didn't Pennsylvania suggest that?

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

Hi Glen Up North – we are honored to have you say hi to us. 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

EJ
    I brought DVD "Planet in Peril" last night.

April 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Chuck in Alabama

Carl can't be a fair judge. Not after the last book he wrote about the Clintons.

April 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  34. EJ - Ohio

CaseyJPS – Dan Abrams is pretty cool.

April 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

As long as both candidates have the money to continue why would anyone drop out. Guess it should just keep going to it's over. They are running for President. It's not a tv show game.

April 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. CaseyJPS - California

Senator Clinton is claiming she has the lead in the popular vote ('more popular votes than any campaign in history'). However, that involves creative math which includes Michigan and Florida and Senator Obama wasn't even on both of those ballots. More smoke and less integrity as each day passes. I'm just fed up with this stuff–the general public continues to be treated like we're stupid.

April 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. EJ - Ohio

I am burned out with primary coverage... and all the back and forth.. and pretend momentum.

April 23, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Chuck in Alabama

Candy sure has a serious voice when she needs it. Could you imagine having her reprimand you for doing something you shouldn't have?

April 23, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Hello Anderson, Erica and Bloggers!
    Yay! Hillary Clinton won! That is so cool. I am glad to join Bill S. Last night.

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. CaseyJPS - California

Do or die? Make or break? Oh-oh Anderson, Dan Abrams (CNBC) was on your tail tonight about CNN contining to use these terms after they were denounced by you recently. Dan credited you for cathing yourself. (Better bring Candy and Wolf up to speed.)

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Glen Up North

I'm not staying up late tonight, just wanted to say hi to everyone, Anderson and Erica included 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Lesli

Hey Jason

If the will of ALL of the voters where listened to, Clinton IS the choice of the people – including Michigan and Florida. Last time I checked they were still on the map as part of the United States of America. Let up a bit!

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. EJ - Ohio

Hi Anderson!

Is your Planet in Peril 2nd hour coming on tonight? I want to see that part with the elephants. That looked pretty scary to me.

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I will try my best Casey 🙂

April 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Whitney B in Ontario, Canada

Good evening Anderson and Erica! Unfortunately I missed most of the primary coverage yesterday, it will be nice to get a catch-up tonight!

April 23, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. CaseyJPS - California

Greetings from America's Desert Playground! I promise I'm not half asleep tonight and I'll try to keep up.

Meagan O.>I'm counting on you to nudge me when I get off track (like last night).

April 23, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Hi Anderson!!! Hi Erica!!!

April 23, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Michael, NC

Whats up guys, hope everyone had a good hump day! Great day by the pool in the hot sun!

April 23, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jason from Murrieta, CA

I listen to CNN on my way home everyday on XM and watch on television when I get home. I hear Senator Clinton day after day come up with even more ways to go against the will of the voters to get nominated. This country fought for a long time to hear the will of the people through voting, and now it seems that the popular vote and pleged delegates that Senator Obama has accumulated can possibly be negated due to the numerous persuasive arguments that the Clinton Campaign has surfaced on why she should be the Democratic Nominee. Why even have a tally of these deciding categories if they won't count in the nomination of our Democratic Canidate? The last time I checked, the score at the end does matter!

April 23, 2008 at 10:00 pm |