April 22nd, 2008

Two Questions for the Obama Spin Machine on Pennsylvania Primary Day

Lanny J. Davis
Friend of Senator Hillary Clinton, and fundraiser for her presidential campaign

Two Questions for the Obama Spin Machine on Pennsylvania Primary Day:

1. Why downplay Obama's chances to win Pennsylvania?

2. Why Is Obama is running even (actually losing 48%-46%) in.... get ready.....MASSACHUSETTS (!!!) (Senator Clinton Is Plus 15 Percent Over McCain in Same Poll)

To all readers of my blogs – those who agree, those who don't, even those who just delete:

Please read the two reports below that were posted today, the day if the Pennsylvania primary before the returns are in – one by ABC News reporter and political editor, Jake Tapper; and another by a Boston Herald columnist and radio talk show host Michael Graham.

P.S. The answer to the two questions asked above is – Barack Obama currently shows serious weakness in the general election vs. John McCain in battleground states that Democrats must win to defeat Senator McCain in November (e.g., Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida) as compared to Senator Clinton.

That is a fact.

Thus: These two pieces are MUST READS for all superdelegates who want to defeat John McCain in the general election...and who know that this is not a race to decide student body president but President of the United States.

ABC's Jake Tapper: Why Can't Obama Win Pennsylvania?

Boston Herald's Michael Graham: Fact is Obama's risky; Even Mass. Democrats starting to take notice

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Lanny Davis • Raw Politics
  1. sam

The demographic that Hillary went for, are the "Reagan Democrats". They always vote republican in the general election. Have your analysts go back and look at how these areas voted in past presidential elections. These democrats never vote their interests, but vote for wedge issues. They are never there for any democrat in the general election. Another interesting group that help to inflate Hillary's numbers are the republicans who registered as democrats. That number may account for the 10% that Hillary got. A lot of these people returned to the republicans by completing and turning in change forms at the polling place right after the vote. So if Hillary gets it, the Reagan Democrats will vote republican as they always do, the republicans turned democrats are back with the republicans, and Blacks who are the base of the democratic party will sit home and watch Whites fight it out . . . McCain will win. . .

April 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  2. Tim Anderson

I'm sorry, I don't care much for Hillary or Barak, but it kills me that Senator Clinton is calling into question Senator Obama's electability when she is LOSING! Why is a loser calling into question the guy's ability to win an election when he's beating her by more than 100 pledged delegates AND the popular vote AND the total number of states won. If Barak had any sense, he would call into question Senator Clinton's electability seeing that she will more than likely lose to him after the voters are done having their say. Anyways, if you still believe that Hillary is justified in calling into question Senator Obama's ability to win the big game, then let's have the Green Bay Packers call into question the Giants' ability to win a Super Bowl while we're at it.

April 23, 2008 at 1:07 pm |
  3. PhillyInKY

Since 90 percent of black people vote for Obama, isn't that considered racist??? I think hillary clinton on has 40-50 percent of the white vote...to me that's not racially driven.......I guess race is a major player in this election...

April 23, 2008 at 12:18 pm |
  4. Noel from Minnesota

Mr Davis,
    Let me turn the table and ask you the question,

1. With all the institutional Democratic power houses backing Senator Clinton in PA, why didn't get more than 10 point lead?

2. Clinton surely spent less than Obama from her campaign, but with all her Democratic power houses supporters he did not need to spend as they already spent time on the local media talking on behalf of Clinton. Why do you down play Obama's ability diminish Clinton's lead to 10 points?

April 23, 2008 at 11:45 am |
  5. Merna, New York

I AM HAPPY FOR Hillary! I prayed so much for her to win. Also this Big win says a lot about who should be the next president of the United States. However, if Hillary does not win against Obama I will still vote him in November, because no matter what is about putting a Democrate in charge of the country. So people! don't be naive by not voting for a Democrate because your party does not win, all we do is hurt ourselves by putting another Republican in office. Therefore, lets all stick together, whatever the outcome is we still have to great canadates running for president. I just belive that Hillary is the most experience, and she is what we need to get this country up and running again. I am Hispanic and I did not vote for Bill Richardson because he was Latino instead I support Hillary becuase she has more experience.

April 23, 2008 at 11:35 am |
  6. Charita Ford

After a very good thumping in Pennsylvania, I think we've settled the "large Democratic state base argument." Is there any way Mr. Obama or his campaign put a spin on this lost–this beautiful morning after Earth Day? I am so glad that money did not determine the outcome of Pennsylvania. Also the pungents who say limit her voter base by race and class must be blind and not see the diverse group of supporters for Ms. Hillary Clinton–especially the diverse group of women voters. I am an African-American woman from Illinois and I am supporting Hillary Clinton. Her experience, compassion, and great love of America is the reason for this support, and she has "always been proud of America" through both good times and bad–and her desire to help make America a place were every person can achieve and have hope in the American Dream is commendable.
    I, for one, am not "bitter," but "better" because I know that Ms. Clinton is fighting and standing firm for economic concerns that are plaguing all of us, for war concerns–a war this country cannot afford, and for health care concerns that reveal if you are poor or middle class you can't afford to get sick. Ms. Hillary Clinton struggle on and keep the faith and our eyes are on the prize! Charita Ford Illinois

April 23, 2008 at 11:21 am |
  7. Duane Ohio

Obama was never going to win Pennsylvania. His goal was to keep it close. He did the best job possible. It is true he outspent Hillary, but she was still favored to win. From the looks of the results, the minds of voters were made up long before the primary. This is no different than other states where Obama was heavily favored over Clinton; Clinton did the best she could in those states, but still was not able to make a dent. And Obama won those states convincingly.

While we have celebrated the 40 year death of Dr. King's assassination and his contributions to the Civil Rights Movement, this Democratic race has served as a silent reminder that we are far from the end of race relations in the United States. The proof is in the exit polling.

I am reading arguments on both sides. My question is why are we doubting our party's ability to unite against the Republican Party and John McCain irrespective of the candidate that will be chosen?

April 23, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  8. Mike in NYC

Larry wrote:

"If Barack is getting the high-educated white-male vote along with 90+% of the African-American vote; are those 2 groups supporting Barack for the same reason(s)?"

No, they're not.

Highly-educated whites tend to live in overwhelmingly white areas, so racial tension is non-existent, or at least irrelevant. Combine this with BO's edge among male Democrats, and there you have it.

Where I live, race is far from irrelevant. That's why HRC won big here.

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 am |
  9. KC, Texas

Go Hillary! Hillary is the ONLY chance that dems have of beating McCain in November. The ONLY chance.

I don't like any of them. I am beginning to think that we as a nation are heading down a tube to the pooper. No one is listening to the people that made this country great. And it ISN'T the politicians that made America great. It is the hard enduring work of every man and woman of ANY color that built this nation. Now we are being silently killed by the government's alliances with oil and money. America needs to stand up and shout from the tops of our lungs: ENOUGH! Change only happens when people get throughly fed up with getting shafted and do take that stand to shout!

Get your voice back America! Read the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence...we are being railroaded. Because we are not SHOUTING loud enough. Which one of these candidates will have enough cojones to listen?! We are tired of speeches and empty promises....ENOUGH! We need a fighter for the people in the White House. Not a lap dog.

April 23, 2008 at 9:54 am |
  10. A.Michael N.Y

OK, let me gess: all indications are that She will NOT win the contest given the number of States left. The idea now is that she will go to the super delegates and convince them that although she didn't win, she MUST get the nomination? On what basis? Sniper fire in Bosnia? Just let them do that and I will be at J McCain's Victory celebration; and the Dems will stay out of the White House for the next two decades, because I don't believe that the American voters want to see their victory overturned by this type of tactics. Barak said it: she can only survive by this type of tactics: Kitchen sinking and knee capping! Have you noticed that even when she invents stories like Bosnia, CNN and the likes close their eyes but when the unconventional B. Obama(or his preacher or his house maid or his barber or simply his neighbor) says something, ANYTHING, it becomes an issue AGINST HIM? If she doesn't win by the rules and still is GIVEN the nomination, she better NOT count on Obama's supporters to continue her deceptive game. That's crystal clear!!!

April 23, 2008 at 9:22 am |
  11. Taipan

I have listened to the Dem Candidates give their speeches. Obama has repeatedly said he would sit with the enemy and hash out their differences (paraphrased) , however, he criticised Pres Carter for speaking to Hamas. Why is Sen Obama negating what he has been saying, repeatedly, on the campaigne? Can the American people truly believe what he says? Does he speak from both sides of his mouth?
    Hey Sen. Obama, " open mouth wide , place foot in open mouth ."

April 23, 2008 at 9:21 am |
  12. Laura

It is clear that Hillary should be the nominee. They are always bringing up this Bosnia thing that she told a little fib about. How about wshen OB stood right there on CNN and told them that he never had heard his preacher talk like that and then later changed his tone and said that he had but didn't agree. This man scares me to death, I hope and pray that Hillary get the nominee.

April 23, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  13. L Daniel, Lovanville, Ga.

Congrats Sen. Clinton, Operation Chaos was a success I guess…PA got it wrong tonight…We need a change in this country from the old politics. THis country is in trouble and we are playing games. Wake up America before it's too late.

OBAMA '08

April 23, 2008 at 8:51 am |
  14. karla

Exactly tangerine.

Why is HRC still running when she cannot win a majority of the delegates or popular vote?

Why are Americans voting for her in the worst economic times in recent history when she cannot even manage her campaign's finances?

Why are Americans voting for her when the largest organization she has ever run, her campaign, is a disaster filled with in-fighting according to the NY Times among others?

Why are Americans voting for a woman more Hawkish than Dubya who wants to obliterate Iran... a country with 65 million real live people? It's not like our Iraq experience has gone well... and the Iran-Iraq war was a draw.

Why are so many people who actually worked with the Clintons supporting Obama? That, to me, is very telling.

Obama did better than expected in HRC's homestate... even after all of her Rovian tactics.

Obama has had one of the best managed campaigns in recent memory... raises more money... manages it better... and would manage the country better as well.

April 23, 2008 at 8:18 am |
  15. aliou salam FL

what happened to the establishment donors?

Isn't this the first lady of this country with a lot of money to spend and who said in the begining that Obama couldn't raise the money?

Now she is whinning that he has outspent her? Get a grip

Keep hoping. ... I mispoke... You don't like hope.

April 23, 2008 at 7:47 am |
  16. Bev Tn of Tonawanda NY

Sour grapes as usual from the Obama supporters. Deep down they're scared as heck. Funny how Obama can't win the "big" states. Yes, he's taken the smaller states, but he is NOT winning the under $55,00 wage earners. If all the younger people were not voting for him in droves, he wouldn't be where he is. And as usual, from the vitriol about Hillary everyday in these blogs, there are those who are STILL basing their opinions on the right wing nuts' 15+ years of Hillary bashing. Like I have said before – a powerful, aggressive, smart woman is FEARED by many men (and some women). That's what I want in my President – not the Alfred E. Neuman who's in the White House now, or an INEXPERIENCED, several weeks only in the Senate before he decided to run, Senator.

April 23, 2008 at 7:16 am |
  17. Marie

I will be writing in Hillary's name on my election ballot. But if Mr. Obama wins then I hope all those that voted for him will remember their vote and take responsibility for that vote. As all who voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 should remember that they voted for the man. The man who thinks we are in an "economic slowdown" not a recession.

Do the people supporting Obama even know what his policies will be? It is not enough to run on "hope" - that is really the old politics – ever president runs on hope" George Bush ran as a political outsider and he was going to bring hopd and change.

I am 86 years old and have seen a lot of elections. But if the young people want Obama they must take the responsiblity - that is what comes with freedom. Just as the people who voted for Bush shoul have had their children enter Military Service.

April 23, 2008 at 6:51 am |
  18. Dan W

I really don't know why the Deocrats want Hillary to get the nomination. The democrats really need a lesson in history when it comes to the general election – remember Gerlidine Ferrero and Walter Mondale. The counrty was not ready then for a woman VP, and it still feels like we are not ready for a woman president. However, if you really want to give the general election away to McCain, then nominate Clinton. Remember she has two strikes against her, first she isa woman, second she is a Clinton. In short nominate hillary and the party has no chance of winning> Nominate Obama, the party has at least a fighting chance.

April 23, 2008 at 6:12 am |
  19. Mel Stricker

Can anyone say "1968 Chicago, Democratic Convention". I am old enough to remember the self destructive nature of this party and the unbelievable scenes on TV. Granted the mayor of that city did his best to screw things up outside but the party did the same inside (even attacking reporters).
    Then the war was Vietnam but the seated president was a Democrat and the country was a mess. I am looking forward to the drama that unfolds in Denver.
    For those of you who remember and for those that are too young, a Republican won, I thing it was Nix.. something or other.
    Be afraid be very afraid!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 5:56 am |
  20. William C. White

I keep hearing about the race card with Obama my question what about the race issue with Hillary if Hillary was not a white women running against a black man I believe this would not be an issue. So lets except that Hillary race has a lot to do with her victory. If she was running against a white male with Obama ability and popularity Hillary would be out of the picture. Also I am an African American and I have to say I take offense to you describing the African American community as the black community while in the rural areas in majority white communities are called blue collar workers, last I checked most African Americans are blue collar workers not white collar or do we not count. And to stay on the same issue the evangelical base being considered a republican white group there is a high number of blacks that are Christians that are Democrats what we are considered to count as a Christian based society. It is sad that the only way you can describe us is black or African American we have more to describe us than just by our race.

April 23, 2008 at 5:21 am |
  21. mark

Hi Gang..
    Tokyo checking in...question from my Japanese staffers...

If Obama is ahead in delegates..and super delegates have been elected to vote for him, and these are the rules..how can you change the rules in the middle of the game...wont american be upset?

So, you see, its pretty black and white to the outsiders.

April 23, 2008 at 5:11 am |
  22. Crispus

HRC won by 8 points tonight not 10, she is delaying the inevitable. Also if you want to know what the GOP could use against her in the GE just look at her bio in Wikipedia.

April 23, 2008 at 4:18 am |
  23. Ray Melnik

Clinton is my Senator and for the last 2 elections I pulled all my local levers and refused to pull hers. What she has done lately concretes even more my opinion of her and now her husband as well. She will do anything to win including hand the election to McCain in the fall by creating his commercials against Obama for him. Never before have I seen such vile and negative attacks from a Democrat against a Democrat. I am going next to donate to Obama’s campaign for the 8th time. If the tables were turned, Obama would have dropped out for the good of the party. If the party hands the nomination to Clinton after all our donations and efforts it will destroy the Democratic Party without a doubt. She has no chance of winning fairly and from the will of the people, so conniving, deceiving and promoting the politics of fear as the Republicans have made into an art form is the only way she will win. If that happens, Election Day I will be staying home, as will all of the new mobilized voters.

April 23, 2008 at 3:47 am |
  24. Lashanda

Mr. Obama needs to back out and continue to campaign for Hillary Clinton for President. She is clearly a better alternative. There are too many of us that believe that ONLY HER can win over Republicans. SHE WILL WIN if we give her a chance. Please, Mr. Obama, don't listen anymore to your campaign people who wants to make their money by keeping you in a campaign that destroys Democratic party's chances to win in November. Mr. OBAMA, BACK OUT!!!!!!

April 23, 2008 at 2:38 am |
  25. Thomas

From my tally, if the Dems had winner take all primaries like the Republicans, Clinton would lead Obama 240-191 after her win in PA. This does NOT count FL or MI. If you give her FL, her lead jumps to 267-191, and if you give her MI, she wins 284-191 (271 needed to win). I am surprise more have not made note of this fact.

April 23, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  26. Tiger

I think it's time for Sen. Obama to step back and let the country move forward. He has tried with inspiring speeches, bringing in a lot of money from donations, and yet he is not able to get the votes required from BIG states. What does that indicate? It indicates that voters do not trust him, his talk, his promises are just empty. He also needs to find advisors or surrogates that have something positive to say. They have nothing new, they say the same thing on every news show each and every day. Gets annoying.
    As for CNN, they need to get new panels or pick out the ones that actually make some sense. They also keep repeating the same old stuff. Tonight they looked stumped by the victory margin. You know why they were stumped?. It is because they are also caught up in the inspiring speeches and forget that the voters make up their own mind and do not tell the panel. Also, I enjoy the discussions of the panel who present a view, not what they want. If they are true CNN contributors, then they should present a general view of the country rather than their OWN, so annoying.

April 23, 2008 at 2:07 am |
  27. Demetrius

All Hillary has learned from her years in Washington DC is how to play the game of dirty politics. (We see that she will do and say ANYTHING to advance her political ambitions.) I am SO tired of dirty politics. If the game isn't changing I'm going to go back to apathy.

April 23, 2008 at 2:05 am |
  28. Michelle

I am also wondering why a Clinton campaign manager is posting on a CNN blog. And....good point Rachel...why are Obama supporters on news panels usually black? I'm sure their are some white panelists out there to even out the pro Obama ethnic mix on CNN.

I also agree this is not a big win for Hillary. Obama made significant inroads by closing a 20 + point gap. And remember, Obama is holding his own against several fronts he will not have to face when he runs against McCain...(we hope)...namely the Clinton clan (a previous President) and the Billiryocrats. The fact that Hillary isn't beating Obama to a pulp with that kind of punch is testiment to his loyal, popular support base and evidence his message is being heard loud and clear. Don't let this be just another election where we end up being sorry we voted for the candidate who manipulated a win.

April 23, 2008 at 2:00 am |
  29. Eddie, CA

I don't think there has to be any spin for why Obama lost in PA. He just lost. There is no way to spin it. The interesting fact is that Hillary has won all of the "battleground" states (the ones that are supposedly going to help her beat McCain) and she is still losing to Obama. That speaks volumes. If she has won those states and can't defeat the "inexperienced" Obama, what is she going to do against the Republicans and their machine that is proported to be so formidable? She has these "35" years experience (most shared or piggy backed)...but that aside, and with her being a known quantity, she still can't seem to catch Obama. The simple truth is that she has won the larger states, many of which tend to lean Democratic anyway, and is still losing. She has to take care of her Democratic rival before talking about McCain. Obama has put enough distance between himself and her delegate-wise and she can't overcome that. After winning PA, she has only netted 6 delegates. SIX DELEGATES!!! Where was this huge win? She wins two states and she has momentum? What happened to Obama's 10 states? Have we forgotten those? There aren't enough delegates remaining for her to close the gap if she ran the table (with the proportional assigment of delegates). If she loses in NC, Oregon and Kentucky, she is toast.

I don't dislike Hillary but hear that she should be the nominee because of her age makes me sick. Using that argument, they both should step aside for McCain...God help us all! Hillary has to be careful because the very arguments she is leveraging to say she is ready and should be the nominee can and will be used against her. Her baggage?...Clinton...simple as that. She is no better ready than Obama. The only person who has the experience to be a President and knows what the challenges are going to be "day one" is a second term President.

April 23, 2008 at 1:56 am |
  30. Linda J

It seems the media is trying its best NOT to answer the daunting question ... "Why is the wife of a popular 2-term president with '35 years of experience' losing her pants to a relatively unknown african american first term senator with big ears and a funny name?"

Winning a few "big states" is not good enough for a former first lady whose been primed and positioned since "day one".

April 23, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  31. Rich Graves

What is this? did all the peeps in Hillarys campaign HQ get around a computer and type in comments? They are so one sided, they are not believable.

April 23, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  32. Will

Two questions for Lanny:

1. What does "Why Is Obama is running" mean?

and

2. Considering that Hillary is 10M in the hole in campaign funds right now and you've been selected for fundraising efforts, shouldn't you be spending your time more wisely raising capital to keep this campaign going?

April 23, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  33. Walt Sims Jr.

I have lived in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for more than half a century. Your team of professionals seem to be skipping all around the real reason that Barack Obama could not win in Pennsylvania. You yourself say that he could not close the deal inspite the 3-1 difference in spending. Do you know that Pittsburgh is known to African Americans that live here as "Pittsburgh Mississippi?" There is a strong racial barrier in Pennsylvania that would prevent Jesus Christ himself from winning a primary here should he appear as a black man. There is no amount of money spent that could change the minds of the hard core racists with their very old money and the influence on their youth. Address this issue on your show and your listeners will have come closer to the truth.

April 23, 2008 at 1:36 am |
  34. Darryl

When is enough...enough already! Clinton can't win where it really counts and that is in the delegate count. It's time to stop this crazy process and move on to preparing for the general election. Split the rest of the primaries evenly and let the super delegates make up their minds now. I like Clinton, but sorry Hillary...Obama has won.

April 23, 2008 at 1:29 am |
  35. jill

Frankly after 50 years plus observing and sometimes engaging in politics I would have been shocked if Hillary had not won Pennsylvania. She should have done even better in Pennsylvania than she did in Ohio. In Pennsylvania she had both more backing and she was a 'favorite daughter". And unlike in the Western States there are very strong political machines that backed her. Whether she would win was never a question as far as I could see.

But even though Hillary seems to do well the mistake she has already made is to make such a big deal of Commander in Cheif when she cannot top McCain on that issue. Its on tape and then there is Bosnia as well. . That really does her in against a prisoner of War and real Officer. if she were running against Guilliani it would not be as bad, but against McCain? Talk about swift boat, she swift boated herself for a very short term gain if it was one.

April 23, 2008 at 1:19 am |
  36. Trevor Marwood

Obama supporters want HRC to capitulate before M.& F. have there say.Why should she?I believe that the public are eventually seeing through BO and his shallowness.He as achieved his present position by first wrapping up the black votes in many states and also allowing his rottweilers to attack the caucus unrepresentatives in the meeting.Dean and the Democratic higher archy have a lot to answer for.If they had crowned HRC as P and BO as VP at the start which BO would have accepted at that time they could have gone through the primeries as a run up to the real thing gaining unified support for the Democrats not to mention a possible 16 year potential presidency.It reminds you why Dean did not get the presidency.

April 23, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  37. Student

I think Obama is being faithful to his central message which is to run a different campain without as much negativities as it is known about politicians in the past. Especially, he cannot be as negative with his fellow democrat as she is being. That makes the difference. She is running a politic of fear and negative ad, and it seems to be paying off. But we will see.

April 23, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  38. Jerry from Oregon

why does Hillary cotinue to insult everyone's intelligence and even her own popularity among democrats by insisting that Obama can't win big states in the general election because seh won the primaries?

like many democrats all over the country, I used to be a Republican until 2 months ago. I changed parties to support Barack Obama in the primaries.

yes, Hillary has won most of the bigger states in the primaries. but what fool thinks Obama won't win California or New York in the general? But Obama has won some of the 'big' states in the primaries, he won Illinois by a landslide, and he won in Texas( he got more delegates anyway)

He has also won some of the other states Democrats have to win in November such as bell-weather Missouri.

He might have won the other, bigger bellweather, Ohio; if Clinton hadn't lied through her teeth about her support of Nafta.

Hillary should stay in the race until June, but she has to stop the negative campaigning!(she won't, but we can hope she'll try not to destroy her own party) She also needs to stick to her vow to do everything she can to see that a Democrat wins in November, especially once Obama is the official nominee. she needs to try to reconcile her supporters to Obama's ticket

April 23, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  39. Lora

I think its a really sad day in our country. We still cant get pass race. I know everyone especially white folk and some token blacks will say different. But why is all the news channels cnn and the others treat Hillary like she is the front runner. why is it that since obama did not win pennsylvania it all of a sudden means he should get out of the race. All the attention is going to Hillary. She is still losing folks. The only thing her winning did is prolong and already decided primary if the powers that be follows the rules. But i as an african american have seen too many time the powers that be (white folk) take what they want and do what they want.
    Hillary is negative she has lied repeadtley and shrugged it off like it was nothing. As for me i dont want that kind of mindset in washington its been there too long and it needs to change but as an african american i am very discouraged and i think alot of other african americans will be too. I think that if the superdelegates give it to hillary any way even though she does not have the most delegates the most popular votes we will see a very apethetic community amongst the african american population. they wont vote for mccain but they wont vote for hillary either theyll stay home. but it will seem like more of the same wether we get hillary or mccain. I used to like hillary i used to trust the clintons but their campaining and their tactiics make them seem just like the republicans. So it really doesnt matter who would win.
    Myself personally if hillary wins the nomination which seems to be what the news stations want to push for she'll lose to the republicans cause she has a whole lot of junk in her trunk that came out during the primaries. Obama did not cease on them cause hes wanted to run a clean campaign no matter how much people say he has he has not.

April 23, 2008 at 1:13 am |
  40. Lin

I've always believed Hillary has a much better chance of winning against McCain in the general election. That's easy to see!

April 23, 2008 at 1:13 am |
  41. Julia

Hillary Clinton is so totally lacking in charisma, it's almost hard to fathom. And I truly believe that's the reason why people harbor such an irrational hatred of her. She is not personable. They can't stand her voice. She appears cold. Barack Obama (who I also like, though not as much) seems to me like a (not that young) guy in a big hurry. What's the hurry? Both are good candidates, but I think that Hillary is infinitely better qualified for the job at this time. I do not think that Obama is up to what the republican attack machine is going to dish out and she is. What I don't get is why people keep blaming Hillary for the division among Democrats? Why don't they equally blame Obama? What's Hillary supposed to do–just lie down and die because Obama decided he wants to be president?

April 23, 2008 at 1:05 am |
  42. J. Georgino

Thank heavens Sen Clinton took my home state of PA!

The truth is that Obama is all talk and no action. He was unbelievably horrible in the debate last week, but the media acted like they watched something I certainly did not. When did the Am media machine decide Obama should win? He lied about never hearing his minister talk that way over 20 yrs!!??? Excuse me? who is slated to be the idiot here in this play on rhetoric?

And as for a "pundit" of CNN tonight stating that Obama's "folks" would support Hillary, but not vice versa, I have heard just the exact opposite in Atlanta. What in the world does she know? She has always stated she would support him and he has deterred from saying the same....something like only taking public funds promise and now not wanting to.

Only Sen Clinton has the hoozpa to beat McCain and the sooner the Dem superdelegates understand that herein lies the ultimate goal. the better for the party and America.

April 23, 2008 at 1:02 am |
  43. Mike

What a bogus "story"! Obama Spin Machine? Another figment of Hillary's overactive, sniper-filled imagination. No machine is bigger and spins harder than the Clinton's spin machine.

Face it, IF Obama was trailing in every category like Clinton IS, she, Bill and CNN would be calling for his departure.... and a long time ago! A couple months ago she needed to win remaining states by 65 to 35 margins. Now a 10 point win in her tailor made demographic means she's somehow in this thing?? Her only hope is to throw mud and hope super delegates reverse the voting publics decision?

I used to think CNN meant news but the bias is ridiculous.

April 23, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  44. Linda Ruhlman

Hey! wake up – I come from a Steel Mill family – My parents were raised in Pittsburgh and I was raised in Youngstown, Ohio. Have you been to these places lately? I see high unemployment -families loosing medical care and jobs. We are not fooled by eloquent speaking or words. We see a sheep and wolfs clothing. When the going gets tough the tough get going. I am a independent voter – I am leaning towards Hillary because she hasn't given up. We are hard working American people proud of our flag our soldiers and our county those that try to down play us that we are just the working poor beware – we are more powerful than you think. There are 6 members in my family and 3 of the 6 family members are out of work. We can't donate to campaigns and promises we CAN vote for who can change the future. Oh, by the way we have college degrees and student loans and mortgages!

April 23, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  45. no to obama

Sami............you are wrong. Clinton supporters will never support obama. I will vote for McCain because I know he will be better for this country than obama. Don't you understand we do not like obama and more important, we do not trust this man. And his wife has absolutely no business going near our White House. NEVER obama.

April 23, 2008 at 12:40 am |
  46. Bernice David

I used to be a big fan of Hillary Clinton, and now I am scared. The politics have been nasty, and I mean really nasty. The main conversation in cocktail party conversations with professional peers, is that we cannot believe that this is the Hillary Clinton that we once believed that we knew. Disappointment about this election is running rampid in our communities. Do not take this lightly. My son has just made a decision to enlist in the military. Will I be faced with a continuance of the Bush administration with McCain in office, or can Clinton deliver in her promise to begin moving troops out of Iraq within 60 days of her presidency. Democrats don't know which way to vote. Hillary has been too inconsisent. It is felt that Obama is "green" on some issues. But he represents something that people need right now. People say that he lacks experience. But, there is something about him that the youth and progressive folks are drawn to. We need a real change. Just think about it for a minute. If it is Clinton or McCain, just think how many terms either administration has been in office. Many of us think that if Obama is the democratic nominee, perhaps someone like Biden or Edwards would be a good running mate. Are people really paying attention. The majority believes that Obama has tried to be as soft as possible in his attacks, and that Hillary has been vicious. How can they be running mates after this? This has got to stop.

April 23, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  47. Paige

Obama and Edwards would be the true "dream ticket"
    that would set John Kings – IRB ( instant results board) or what ever he calls it on fire

? why do the blue collar voters like Hillary so much?

April 23, 2008 at 12:28 am |
  48. La Sharon

Can we please given African Americans more credit. We have come way too far for this at least I thought we had as a country. African Americans are not voting for Obama just because he is black. As a matter of fact, he is bi-racial. African Americans are voting for him because he is the candidate that we need to make a "real" not imagined change to politics as usual. There are other races voting for him in droves as well. Explain that away. I don't care what color he is. I would vote for him because he does identify with the needs of the people. Please stop putting people in categories as the media does...whites, blacks, hispanics, immigrants, older voters, Catholics, blue collar, young, etc. Please go to all of the candidates web sites and get all the facts and make a truly informed decision about what's best for you and this country. All of these personal attacks are non-productive, sometimes unproven, petty, and ridiculous.

April 23, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  49. La Sharon

I would like to know why everyone keeps concentrating on Rev. Wright and not on John Hagee? And why would Hillary bring up Louis Farrakhan when her own campaign adviser Ed Rendell is shown on You Tube thanking Farrakhan for being such a great man and great contributor and asset to Philadelphia?

Everyone, including the Clintons, keep saying that Obama can't take the heat when in fact she is the one who started whining that the media was being unfair to her. Ever since, the media working as her puppets have continued to show and repeat the stories about the small town comments he made and his former pastor. They only mentioned, half-heartedly, the Bosnia nonsense, the story Clinton got wrong about the pregnant lady who died, & the other scandals she was involved in during her husband's administration.

And you are right, this is not a school president election so as Obama said let's get on with discussing what's best for the country. This is our future. This is not about who is best known, the longest in the spotlight, who is more patriotic because he was once a POW (and yes he gets my respect for that), and she said he said.

April 23, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  50. Teri Rosa

There is no better reporting to be found than on CNN. I just want to let you all know that the discussions about Hillary supporters not supporting the party in the event she should lose the nomination is foolish. The Democratic Party has failed the populous but in this next election, the populous will not fail the party.
    Obama is a great candidate who is likely to win this race not because he is a better candidate. His policies are not that different than hers. I am a Clinton supporter and the fact that the super hero deligates have not fallen over themselves to declare themselves for Obama is indicative that there is still something to be seen in this fight.
    The purpose of the convention is to have the candidates for the nomination voted in to represent the party in a general election. This is what true politics is all about...going to the end. If analysts are tired and want this thing over so that they can have a weekend off until the convention they should have chosen another line of work. This is not watching paint dry folks! This is the most exciting time in politics ever. Ride the wave because you will not see this again in your careers.
    If Obama is worthy of the vote then let him go to the finish line! Don't condemn Clinton for making him "run" the race. The only thing more divisive is the poltical analyst declaring that this process is harmful to the party. That is bogus and you know it.
    We try to get so finite as to who is voting for whom and quite frankly that is more divisive than any fighting happening within the party. If you can't take the junk that your fellow dem is throwing at you, just what will you do when the other side starts flinging the mud?
    Let them go to the end and support the process!!!
    YES...Hillary dos have a shot. Let her take it.

April 23, 2008 at 12:05 am |