April 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/22/08

Tonight – Pennsylvania!

Anderson anchors primary coverage along with Wolf Blitzer, Campbell Brown, Lou Dobbs and Soledad O'Brien and John King takes his place at the Magic Wall.

CNN Sr. Political Analyst – and all-around great guy – Bill Schneider has agreed to take a crack at live blogging tonight. Prior to 10p ET you can read his blog posts throughout the evening on the Political Ticker.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early. We’ll turn the camera on at 7p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lilibeth

Good night, Megan!

April 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

@EJ-Ohio: Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you did ask "hell to pay from whom" and you said that not everyone believes that Clinton is the best candidate so it sounded like you assumed that I was supporting Clinton. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

April 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Doug Messer

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I don'r understand the attraction of Hillary Clinton. I lived through the 90's like everyone else and voted for Clinton twice, but those eight years showed me that the Clintons were just like every other politician out there. In it for the power and money. Please, enough of the power hungry cold warriors. Let's move on to another generation and see what happens.

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Jerry

I suspect some of this euphoria will subside whence the TAXMAN cometh should either Hillary or Mr. B. be elected.

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. xtina, chicago IL

if anderson is VP he has to sit in a bunker for four yrs. – is that what U really want EJ ? 😉

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

good night lilibeth!!! 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Michael

@Tracy I completely agree. It seems like a last ditch effort by the clinton camp. going against democratic ways to get elected. thats just my opinion.

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Jen in Mex.

Very observant Julie!!!!

April 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Mark B. Pittsburgh,PA

Wasn't Hillary supposed to win by 15% or more, why are all of the "experts" pretending that they did not say this, and giving her some false credit now and reversing on the view that anything less than 15% is a loss?

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. David R. Pensacola,Fl

I love how the media still portrays this as a race. This is over. Obama has the delegates, the popular vote, the states won, and the money. Clinton keeps moving the goal post to make it look like she hasn't lost, but she has. She no longer has the good of the party in mind but her own political agendas. She will go down in history next to Mike Huckabee , another politician who didn't know when to step aside.

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Derrick Neuner

I am wondering how much effect Bill Clinton had on Hillary's win. That man logged more hours than his wife and Barack combined. And I noticed, she's off to Indianapolis tomorrow, but Mr. Clinton will make 5 stops in North Carolina.

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. xtina, chicago IL

i don't want john mccain to win because dems sat out in protest to the superdelegate system . i'd rather have hillary than sit thru four yrs. of people saying mccain didn't really win 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Jolene

Well, looks like Clinton is in the double digit spread now. I have to admit, she is a fighter.

Thanks Bill for blogging tonight. Thanks 360 for letting us blog tonight. Great treat!

Have a good evening bloggers!!!

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Jennifer - Michigan

Obama is using it now. Yes we can, yes we can...Where's Scoop, Muck and Dizzy?

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Cynthia Torres

The tide is changing. Clinton is going to rise to the occasion. Nice victory in PA, Hillary! Keep going strong!

April 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Barbara Christ

Xavier, maybe Obama didn't win the rural vote in Pennsylvania because the hoopla is over and a slogan isn't enough to bring America back to being the most powerful, most ethical, most respected country on the Planet, experience and innovation is.

April 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Toni

Way to go.....Hillary Clinton= Madame President. She is the best candidate.

April 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

EJ,
    Anderson said hello to you.........

April 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Lilibeth

You all keep pulling for Hillary now! Have to bid you all good night!

April 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

@Michael A; That would remind me of the 2000 election, when Bush won without a plurality of popular votes, but with electoral college votes. But Obama has both, so if the supers picked Hillary, that would be in blatant disregard for the People's choice, which is a slap in the face to Democracy. If they did that... that would be absolutely ridiculous unless Obama screws up something HUGE between now and the convention.

April 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Michael

Marina, your statement of "common man since he raised $40 M last month"

You are implying HE himself raised that much. That came from supporters and it is for his campaign. Clintons raised over 100million in the last ten years.

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Melinda

Hmmm, now Hillary is up to a 10% lead. I wonder if the number keeps going up if everyone on the panel will have a different opinion?

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Carla Ontario Canada

I am jumping for joy that Hillary won tonight! She is the new comeback kid. She gave a very nice speech and is the smart choice for Prez.

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Jennifer - Michigan

It is good that you're sitting down Anderson, these speeches go on and on and on.....Enjoy the down time.

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Casey – Obama says planet in peril alot

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Terri

Love Obama's mentioning the phrase "Planet in Peril"...wonder if he watches it??

Umm yeah, so "go to my website and support us"...geez. I found that very appalling. What happened to "I care" and other phrases. HRC went right for the money...that kind of disgusted me.

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Julie

Why are the three men standing behind Senator Obama during his speech tonight all wearing Abercrombie t-shirts? Is his campaign being sponsored now? What happened to grass roots? Those aren't typical voters standing behind him tonight; they're an advertisement for A&F.

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  28. EJ - Ohio

"Obama said “planet in peril” – now he’s stealing from Anderson"

He wants him as VP. I'm telling you. That was code to Anderson for "be on the ticket."

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  29. Edward

if hillary steals the nomination from obama, i'll vote green, nader, or even just spoil my ballot. but i will not vote team clinton. 4 (or heavens, 8) more years of same-old, same-old is just too much. if i didn't think my wife would disown me, i'd even consider mccain.

A B C (Anybody But Clinton)

April 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  30. xtina, chicago IL

ug, obama never actually tells crowds what he has done that's successful – only promises that bigger government is the answer to everything – he's so wrong

April 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  31. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The superdelegates will have the weight of the world or at least the USA on their shoulders. I don't envy the pressure they'll feel real soon.

April 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  32. Michael

many people I have talked to feel that if obama wins the delegates and popular vote, but clinton wins the nomination due to super delegates, they will not vote or will vote for McCain due to the fact that its not right for super delegates to override the majority of the dems. anyone else?

April 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  33. Carmen, Marina, CA

I think, in part, Hillary is winning these last states because she is now considered the underdog instead of the heir apparent. Voters love to help the underdog. Given this logic, Obama may not be considered the common man since he raised $40 M last month. Sad to say, since he worked hard to get it...but, voters may ascribe him more of the elitist label because of this success. I am forever a Hillary supporter...I hope she ultimately wins without a mess to clean up...I will devote my efforts and little money I have to WHOEVER is the Democratic presidential nominee at the end of this process. Dems unite!

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Barbara Christ

Go Hillary! I'm so proud to be a woman in 2008. Hillary has shown us that you can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Go all the way PLEASE.

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

Way to go! great job! Hillary Clinton! good speech!

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

Obama said "planet in peril" – now he's stealing from Anderson 😛

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Michael Dunne

There is something wrong with the assessment about Hillary’s victory in Pennsylvania. Don’t forget that Hillary had a double digit lead entering the primary. Now she has finished with a single digit lead. Face it…she lost votes! It is time for Hillary to realize she is the one who can’t close the voters. Her prolonged campaigning is definitely going to hurt the Democratic party. Why do you think McCain wants to run against her, he knows he has a better chance against her rather than Obama.

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  38. Eric

There's no way Clinton can catch up in the delegate count. If even 5% more of the undecided Super Delegates go Obama's way, he will lock in the nomination after the two primaries in NC and Indiana. Howard Dean is going to force the Super Delegates to choose this week, I assume. There's NO statistical way Clinton can catch up, and the party heads know this. Clinton needs to DROP OUT so the party can unite behind Obama. She is destroying the Democratic party's chances in November!

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  39. EJ - Ohio

Bill Schneider – tell Anderson we said hello.

I'm sorry there weren't enough write-ins for he & Erica to win in PA.

April 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  40. Jen in Mex.

Whatever you want to say about Barack, you have to admit he is eloquent.

April 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  41. Stacy

@Jolene: True. Although I'm actually much more likely to volunteer for a candidate than I am to give them money.

April 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  42. Janna

Brian, There may be something to that theory. Very good point about experience being the backbone for trust. It just bothers me when people say "I just don't trust her." Who can honestly expect to trust anyone in politics? I understand going with your gut, but I do see subconcious sexism here as well.

April 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  43. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Anderson if Obama talks as long as Hillary i am glad you decided to take a seat

April 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  44. xtina, chicago IL

the democratic party made a grave mistake when they invented the superdelegate plan – when they use it, it will alienate a whole chuck of voters

April 22, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  45. Melannia Clark

In the past 5-6 weeks, I have watched and listen to the political analyst hammer away at Hillary Clinton. They question every turn she has made, and I even feel that some reporters have shown bias when reporting the political news, which have been very disheartening to see.

I believe this women to be a wonderful leader, has she made mistakes? yes, but she has been active in the political arena for a long time. I believe her to be genuine. To me it seems that the negative campaigning has been on the part of how the media has treated Mrs Clinton.

Inclosing I would like to say that I am female and Afro-Latina, and I feel that Mrs. Clinton is the best choice to change our nation from the multiple problems that we face as a result of the last eight years of Bush-Cheney.

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  46. CaseyJPS - California

Did Obama just say "Planet in Peril?"

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  47. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

@Larry: Well, my logic is that I know what kind of crap to expect from Hillary and McCain, so, I hold out hope that Obama will do it differently. That's what this election is about, I think: hope for change.

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  48. Gene. Elizabeth City, NC

I'm sure Clinton's win tonight will give her a much needed boost in the polls but I think you'll see Obama get his "groove back" come May 6th. With all the negative campaigning done by both Bill and Hillary...I think you’ll see the voters of both Indiana and North Carolina reject those tactics…We have an old saying down here in Carolina...."them dawgs don't hunt" around these parts.

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  49. EJ - Ohio

Jo Ann,

"@EJ in Ohio: First of all, you are making an assumption that Clinton is my candidate. Secondly, do you think the Obama supporters would just accept that without making a fuss?"

Hi – I'm not sure what you are talking about.

All I said is that the remaining superdelegates (whether they are white men or asian women or whomever) will vote for whom they think is best – AND I also said earlier that for them to try to reverse what the voters have already decided (Obama does win the pledged delegate race) it would be extraordinary and extremely unlikely.

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

I love this commercial break so quick, LOL! I agree with you!

April 22, 2008 at 10:51 pm |