April 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/22/08

Tonight – Pennsylvania!

Anderson anchors primary coverage along with Wolf Blitzer, Campbell Brown, Lou Dobbs and Soledad O'Brien and John King takes his place at the Magic Wall.

CNN Sr. Political Analyst – and all-around great guy – Bill Schneider has agreed to take a crack at live blogging tonight. Prior to 10p ET you can read his blog posts throughout the evening on the Political Ticker.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early. We’ll turn the camera on at 7p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. EJ - Ohio

"Okay, does anyone know who the “green shirts” are in the audience with the green signs?"

Those are really Anderson Cooper groupies.

April 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Brian Persaud

Paul Warnow> That makes no sense to me.

April 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Renee

Okay, does anyone know who the "green shirts" are in the audience with the green signs?

April 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Lorie Ann: I just think that having more money does not mean someone has the best ideas or is the best person for the job. It is unfortunate that we equate money with worth. I determine worth based on an entirely different criteria.

April 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Sara in Ok,
    I haven't heard from John Edward endorse both Clinton or Obama yet.

April 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Jennifer - Michigan

Sara,Okalahoma – I was thinking the exact same thing "Can we fix it? Yes we can." Uncreative indeed.

April 22, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  7. xtina, chicago IL

isn't that jon mellencamp singing "this is my country" at hillary's rally? isn't jon mellencamp performing live for barack obama in indiana tonite ??

April 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Gloria.....Hillary gracious. You are too funny

April 22, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Melinda

As far as taxes are concerned I think corporations and rich people should pay their share. Most of them pay far less tax percentage wise than middle America so I have to agree with Clinton and Obama on that issue. Dollar for dollar it always looks like they pay more but when it comes down to percentages they don't pay their fair share.

April 22, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Paul Warnow

Is Hillary Clinton running for VP on the McCain ticket?

She’s destroying the Democratic Party and only helping McCain.

For Hillary Clinton to surpass Barack Obama in pledged delegates, she will have to win 63% of the votes and pledged delegates, in each and every state remaining.

And for each and every state going forward, that she fails to win 63%, she will have to win increasing %’s, in each and every state remaining.

At this time, it would take a miracle for Hillary Clinton to win 63% of the votes and pledged delegates in Pennsylvania.

And it would take a greater miracle, for her to win a majority of the votes and pledged delegates, in the remaining state primaries.

Consequently, her petty and divisive attacks against Barack Obama; are doing damage to her, Barack Obama, and the democratic party; and only helping John McCain.

Hillary Clinton should withdraw if she fails to win by at least 20% of the votes and pledged delegates in Pennsylvania.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Brian Persaud

Janna> Honestly, I hope so. I hope that people will get tired of all the fanatical support, and come together for the general election. This election is amazing, and I think voters are extremely passionate, but when all is said and done we have to remember what makes us a Democrat.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Sara, Oklahoma

I personally think "yes we can" is uncreative. I mean come on, Bob the Builder said it first.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Jolene

It's just blows my mind that they spend millions of dollars a day campaigning. In a way it's sad, that money could be used in other ways but that's politics for you!

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Well, Janna, as an Obama supporter, I'm going to have to say no, but not because of any official difference between them, but because I don't really trust Hillary or like her (especially after seeing that Kiki McLean woman on CNN with that evil smile... God, she scares me), nor do I like McCain.

Ah, well, I guess I'll vote for the Independent if Hillary gets nominated.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree Jo Ann from Ohio. It would really level the playing field and give all candidates the same opportunity to reach voters with the same amount of money.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Stacy

If Obama has the math on his side, but Clinton has the momentum, who do you guys think the superdelegates should go with? I can't help but fear that going against the will of the voters is going to turn a lot of those new voters very cynical very quickly. Is it worth it to lose them for elections to come?

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Tannis

If Hillary doesn't raise enough money she'll loan herself another few million. Her campaign is in debt, she almost ran out of money earlier in the year, how on earth will she handle the money of the USA??? Perhaps Chelsea will give her a hand.

April 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

Xtina,
    You're right! Bill finally hug his mother-in law. 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Sara, Oklahoma

I wonder if John Edwards will support anyone.

April 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Becca

Ugh I can't sit through this speech, I don't even want to imagine hearing State of the Union addresses each year from her...Why can't there ever be a candidate that can truly capture the hope of the American people??

April 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Melinda

Good question, Kathy. I wondered how many people are out doing the exit polls and if they are CNN people or some outside organization?

April 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Yes we will......what a rip off of Yes we can. Hillary is so uncreative

April 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Bev

I think Obama is more likely to beat McCain. Didn't the polls reflect that?
    I know not long ago Faux News was putting Hillary down constantly until that poll came out saying she was less likely to beat McCain if she won and now they're down on Obama.

April 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  24. EJ - Ohio

"EJ-Ohio, how is this not a close race? Look at the numbers."

Hillary would need to win the remaining contests by 70% to 80% to catch Obama in pledged delegates. (I'm not talking about the PA race, Obama's camp predicted a loss in PA months ago)

Although Clinton would love to pretend like there is another measure to go by – it is the elected delegates.

If all the remaining superdelegates flock to Clinton tomorrow then I'll retract what I said, otherwise it is a media obsession on having a race that is continuing the speculation.

She does not have a chance to win the pledged delegate race, and for the superdelegates to choose someone who didn't win the pledged delegates or the popular vote would be something extraordinary and extremely unlikely.

April 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Brian Persaud

ELI> Obama Republican? That seems like a oxymoron to me. Obama has lied and used negative campaign ads too. Don't believe all the spin, do your own research. Neither is above the same old politics, Obama's already proven that.

April 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. xtina, chicago IL

wow bill gets to spend quality time with his mother-in-law

April 22, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Jen in Mex.

Xtina – if the money being spent in Iraq was rechanneled to medical research, why couldn't autism, and so much more, be cured? Just a thought, and a hope.

April 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

Bloggers,
    Anderson is here with potilics team right now....

April 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Bill thank you for answering my question. Hillary's main problem in fundraising is all her supporters were eager at the beginning and now can not donate any more funds where Obama supporters have been spreading the money out. It is the smart thing to do

April 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. xtina, chicago IL

when hillary says "I'll FIGHT for you" she's talking about taxing productive, successful, profitable people and companies in order to re-distribute the wealth – that's moving us towards socialism

April 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Greg - Toronto, Canada

I am so glad Hillary won tonight...Obama was essentially framed as the presumptive nominee by the media earlier their week so her campaign really needed this to stay alive.

The emotions in her campaign team must be like a rollercoaster...living from one primary to another. Ahhh the life of politics I suppose.

Welcome to the chat tonight Professor Schneider!

April 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, Ohio

I think that it is unfair that the person raising the most money is able to "buy" an election. Each candidate should be allotted the same amount of money and that is it. If they can utilize it successfully they deserve to win.

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Vincent Esoldi

What was Hillary Clinton's national negative numbers before Barack Obama even entered the race for President and what are they now? This would reflect how the voters feel about Hillary minus any "negative" statements Senator Obama may or may not have said about her during the camaign.

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Michael, NC

Bill-
    I really love the work you do man, wish you were on the 360 more.
    Good to see you blog too.

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Janna

Interesting comments about them being on the same page......Are the Obama supporters on the blog willing to vote as happily for Clinton if she's the nominee?

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Jolene

Speaking of the Magic Wall, there's a nice article in the NY Times about John King.

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Kathy, Chicago

Hi Bill! How many people do you have out in the field taking these polls? I was pretty sure Hillary won when Obama was saying that 45% is ok, and then headed out of town. It is amazing that they know so early. What ever happened to secret ballots!

April 22, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Melinda

Thanks Brian. While, I like Clinton better I still think Obama is a good man with good ideas who is capable of doing the job. To me, the issues of the war, economy and social issues (gay rights, woman's rights etc) are more important, so as long as either one can beat McCain that is what is really important in the end.

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Well, like CNN mentioned, Penn is a lot like the other states that Hill won BEFORE the "bitter" comments, so I don't think that that comment was THE REASON that Penn voted the way it did. It was kind of a predictable result, if you ask me.

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

at 68% of the vote and still only 8 points seperate them. I think it may stay around 8 points

Bill or John King, do we know a delegate breakdown yet?

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Cindy

Bill...I think this win will give Hillary a big boost and get her past Obama in the polls. I wish it would get her enough past him that she could get the nomination. I just don't think he can beat McCain!

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Bill Schneider

Megan: I don't know if Clinton can raise as much money as Obama, but this win tonight definitely gives her supporters a reason to donate more money to her campaign.

Stacy: I love John King's map!

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Leslie Berrios

I bet my comments are too radical even for this blog...

April 22, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  44. ELI

As an Obama Republican, I will only vote for statesman, Senator Obama no matter what Hilary and Bill says or does. Obama is all that is best about the American Dream, and the colorless society. Hilary only cares about her ego, not her party, not what is best for America. Her use of fear tactics, bullying and dodging snipers story is what Hilary stands for, the same old politics.

April 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

Hi Bloggers, Anderson and Bill!
    Yay! Hillary finally won!
    Welcome to AC360 Bill!

April 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  46. xtina, chicago IL

oh boy, hillary's going to cure autism now ? this this speech is very hyperbolic

April 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Teresa, OH

I must admit, Hillary sounds great tonight.

April 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Brian Persaud

Bev> Obama?

April 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Jolene

Any predictions on the spread? Think HIllary will get into the double digits? If she does, then it makes you wonder if Obama's "bitter" comment really affected the PA voters.

April 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Brian Persaud

Melinda> Agreed. I'm definitely a Hillary supporter, but if Obama is the nom I would be more than happy to vote for him. Its refreshing to hear someone who realizes we are all on the same page when it comes to the issues.

April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |