April 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/22/08

Tonight – Pennsylvania!

Anderson anchors primary coverage along with Wolf Blitzer, Campbell Brown, Lou Dobbs and Soledad O'Brien and John King takes his place at the Magic Wall.

CNN Sr. Political Analyst – and all-around great guy – Bill Schneider has agreed to take a crack at live blogging tonight. Prior to 10p ET you can read his blog posts throughout the evening on the Political Ticker.

The live blog cam will be up tonight to give a behind the scenes look at the Election Center studio. Tonight it starts early. We’ll turn the camera on at 7p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Hey, there's another Tracy on here! Cool! Welcome!

Did anyone else see the proverbial donations bucket being placed on the table when Hillary gave her supporters directions to her website? Lol.

April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Saera El Paso, TX

wow that is pretty close...

April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Stacy

Hi Bill! So tell us, are you jealous of John King's Magic Map? It's okay, you can admit it.

April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Morgan

It was always seen that Hillary would win the Penn. primary. It was a question of by how much. As i have seen tonight. Obama gained ground on her even with the recent "bitter" comments. It just goes to show how much he has woven his way into her fall back groups.

April 22, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Yen

EJ-Ohio, how is this not a close race? Look at the numbers.

April 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Brian Persaud

Man I wish I was in that crowd, she really knows how to pump people up, I love it. 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Bill Schneider, I think Hillary will get a boost. It should be an interesting outcome...whenever that outcome finally arrives.

April 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Bev

Who was she talking about when she said her opponent likes to spend lots of money?

April 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Jolene

Hi Bill! I'm not surprised that Hillary won tonight. Even Obama knew he wasn't going to win and is in Indiana tonight.

April 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Emmy

I think Hillary is a fighter. She has gone through so much in her life. I'm glad that she won the primary. America will have a chance to be lead by a female president that's similar to democratic nations such as Germany (Chancellor Merkel) and UK (ex-PM Thacher).

April 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. xtina, chicago IL

isn't the economic demographic in Indiana similar to that of PA?

April 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Melinda

You all are doing a great job, as usual. I appreciate CNN's good, unbiased coverage!

I think Obama will be the nominee, even though I am a Clinton supporter. I will be happy to vote for either of them, really, because I think they both are on the same page as I am. Either way, I hope the negativity stops and stop tearing each other down because the general election is more important to me.

April 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Jen in Mex.

Glen, the concept is good, but I'd like like to know the percentage of "reuse". This is an adult event, not a pinata!

April 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Sara, Oklahoma

Yay Hillary!

April 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Bill do you really believe Hillary can raise more money then Obama.......even if she does she needs to use that money to pay the bills that are already outstanding

April 22, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. EJ - Ohio

"@EJ: explain please: “or the campaign PHYSICALLY hurts him?” thanks"

It means exactly what I said.

April 22, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Bev

Yes, where's Anderson. I haven't seen him at all, I was watching DWTS. lol

April 22, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Cindy

Hey Bill!! Glad to see ya blog! I knew Hillary would win. She's won all the big states.

April 22, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Brian Persaud

Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada> Thanks!

April 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Tracy – Anderson is on set and will probably be on air after Hillary stops talking......more Anderson, less Hillary

April 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Bill Schneider

I think Pennsylvania will undoubtedly give Clinton a boost. It will help her raise more money and she will also probably get a boost in the polls.

Maybe enough for her to move ahead of Obama in the national polls.

It could also propel her to victory in Indiana on May 6, though probably not in North Carolina.

April 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

Bill: Is this your first time live blogging?

April 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Tracy

Where's Anderson? I've been waiting for him since 7 ET.

April 22, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Anderson welcome to the set

April 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Teresa, OH

@EJ: explain please: "or the campaign PHYSICALLY hurts him?" thanks

April 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. EJ - Ohio

"Obama’s is certainly not dead yet."

He's not dead at all. It is Clinton that needs to catch up – not Obama.

April 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Glen Up North

Jen, did you see the CNN coverage of how Obama supporters have started a "reuse" campaign so that promotional signs (and the like) used in one state can be transported to, and reused in, the next contested state? A step in the right direction, I'd say. 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Brian – Hillary is ahead with 9 points right now but only 61% of the votes are in so who knows how much she will actually win by

April 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Bev

Obama's is certainly not dead yet. Hillary was expected to win but she hoped by a lot more % than 9 or 10..
    Oh dear, Bill is there, hope he doesn't speak, he always manages to make things worse for her. lol

April 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Glen Up North

I just want to weigh in and say I seriously appreciate the fact that no one here has been gloating over Hillary's win. I don't believe in gloating when I am right or have things turn in my favour, and I really appreciate it when others respond in kind. Nice to know there's many level-headed people out there as well, be they Obama supporters, Clinton supporters, or even McCain supporters.

April 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Brian Persaud

How many points did Hillary win by? I'm new at this, so sorry if thats a dumb question.

April 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Alexander

Why hello there Bill Schneider. I happen to think the current election results, or rather, should I say 'primary results,' are consistent overall with expectations set forth in the media by public opinion polls and other statistics. That is, at least, from my perspective, my standpoint. I don't know if that's the general consensus, but I am under the impression that Ms. Clinton has had the momentum in Pennsylvania overall. My two cents.: )

April 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Jen in Mex.

Considering it's Earth day, What a waste of paper, plastic, etc... these events produce. What a shame.

April 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Michael A

There has been a lot of talk about Senator Obama winning the most pledged delegates and winning the popular vote, but there has still been talk that Clinton can win with the super delegate vote.

For me, and many people I associate with, this would be a repeat of the 2000 election. I am 19 years old and I am very active in politics and I talk with many young voters at the University I attend, and if the case above happens- where Obama deserves to win, but party insiders choose Clinton, MANY voters will not vote, or will vote for McCain. Not because they hate Clinton, but because it is not a democracy. How can the public vote one way, but a few party insiders decide against the peoples will.

I would rather see democracy prevail than the democrats win the White House.

April 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  35. EJ - Ohio

Well – Obama will mop up in the general election.

The only way Clinton wins is if Obama makes a critical error or the campaign physically hurts him.

It's been nice how the networks have been pretending that this overall race is a close race.

April 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Charles M D.

Well Anderson and online readers, HILLARY has taken the "Comeback Kid" blood a bit further than a lot of "experts" predicted. I really did not know who would get ahead of the other
    candidate, with all the confusion and tension in their debates and
    the media's crystal ball. I did not like the way the questions were
    formatted by the ABC co-hosts, Charlie and George at the last televised debate; but its been circus all along. I live in Florida, and
    as a democrat here with others, we don't know what our state and Mich. will do with our primary votes Yet!
    I am following the news of tonight's results on your site, and I enjoy your fresh journalistic approach at CNN. Thanks! I like the quote on the head of this page next to your pix. Keep it up. There's enough drama out there with this election, isn't it?
    Best, Chuck in
    Jacksonville

April 22, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Um, Marcia, Obama still has more delegates than Clinton. I don't see why you think that this one state is somehow the voice of the nation. It's an important primary, but it's not representative of the country's opinion.

April 22, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I can't say I'm surprised by the results tonight. Looks like the party isn't over just yet. Hold the confetti.

April 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Genevieve M, TX

Bill, if you were here last night, you would have thought that there was another politcal campaign team– "Cooper-Hill '08"! haha!

Anyway, I am not a Democrat, but I was hoping Clinton would win because it would keep things interesting.

April 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Marcia, Bucks County, PA

Pennsylvania has spoken! We want Hillary for President, not Obama.

April 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Brian Persaud

Good evening bloggers! And welcome Bill Schnieder. 🙂

April 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  42. Jen in Mex.

Exciting, but confusing night. Bravo to Donna B. for her eloquent American coalition statement. very sensitive. So rare.

April 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Wow Bill you have a pic and an awesome picture to boot. I think the results so far are exactly what I expected......Clinton wins but under 10 points

April 22, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  44. Teresa, OH

@Xavier: I dont really think anyone is "assuming" anything in the election. Too many variables. If you think Hillary's negativity is causing Obama votes, you are wrong. Obama is causing his own negativity, every time the guy speaks any more he is ticking off people.

You said a mouthful when you said: "young voters and African Americans will be outraged".... Their outrage will be misdirected
    if it is towards the Clintons.

Also, there is no "getting to know him without all the negativity".... you err in thinking Obama REMOTELY wants us to know him. He doesn't.

April 22, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  45. Brian Persaud

Xavier Leonard> So Hillary should stop campaigning and withdraw so rural voters can get to know Obama? Are you joking? Clinton is just as, if not more, prepared to get a Democrat in office. If Obama can't stand up to Hillary and her "negativity", McCain will sweep the floor with him. And Obama is outspending Hillary and putting our negative ads as well, so he no better than she is. If anyone is "costing the Democrats the election", its the voters who get sucked into the hype and allow themselves to be polarized and forget that Hillary has the same stance on the issues as Obama.

April 22, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  46. Bill Schneider

Hello everyone,

Another exciting primary night! What do you all think about the results?

April 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  47. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening Anderson, Erica, best political team on television (and the web), bloggees.

So far I am still sticking with a 7-9 point win for Clinton which in a way is sad when she was once ahead 30 points

April 22, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  48. Tracy, Colonial Heights, VA

Good evening, all!

Can't wait to see the Penn primary results! And a special thanks to "the Best Political Team" on television because you guys demystify the politics of this primary for me!

April 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  49. Genevieve M, TX

Bill Schneider- hello and welcome to the AC360 blog!

We are a chatty bunch, so I hope you will be able to keep up with us- if not, that's ok. Hopefully, you will enjoy this blog session and will stop by for return visits!

April 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  50. Xavier Leonard

Why is everyone assuming that becuase Obama did not win the rural vote that it means he wouldn't be able to win them in November. If Hillary would allow those voters to get to know him without all the negativity and if she would have stepped down, we could have really seen how well he would have done with rural voters. The fact is he will have the most wins, the most delegates and the popular vote and if he is denied the nomination, young voters and African Americans will be outraged and the Clintons will have ended up costing the Democrats the election.

April 22, 2008 at 10:01 pm |