April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Peb, Valley Village, California

Anderson, I find the voices of the polygamous wives very creepy. They all sound the same. It is as if they are under some type of spell, mind control, or on drugs..."the Stepford Wives".

April 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  2. carmen

why aren't the fathers (as few as they may ) for these hundreds of children speaking up

April 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Anderson you look like your going to pounce......like a tiger 😛

April 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Adam

"All of these women from this polygamist sect seem to talk in the same manner, a creepy little girl tone that is symptomatic of cases of children who have been abused."

Agreed. It's also very strange that earlier they were dodging any questions about where their husbands/the girls fathers were. Also, I found the portraits of what looked to be men (or the same man) on every wall of every room in the house slightly disturbing; but with that said it looked like a pretty standard home. And why wouldn't it be?

April 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Pat

If polygamy is illegal, why doesn't law enforcement arrest the men – why is allowed to continue

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Angelique

I guess I was too busy typing to hear but are we going to hear what happens in the courtroom? Any of it live?

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  7. andersoncnn

Barry, you are absolutely right to notice no men around. its not a coincidence. In these communities the men are firmly in charge, and it would be interesting to know who came up with the plan of putting the mothers infront of cameras.

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Ryan, Illinois

In response to Erica Hill's question, I think a lot of the online information actually helps the debate, whereas the simplification and dramatizations of issues like "bitter-gate" on television have hurt the process. At least online, those looking to become politically informed can find real information.

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Angela, Virginia

I know as a mother, I couldn't talk about my child missing from her bed without getting choked up. Maybe it was her powerbrow that hid the tears.

Nice haircut AC.

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Emily

The Headlines in the USA Today Paper were OBama has ties to lobbyists despite boasts of not taking their money

GO HILLARY

April 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Tony

All the polygamist wives have funny voices…

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Slater

State has no evidence without the girl that called as that was their probable cause to enter the compound.

Can't wait to hear from the attorney.

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  13. greg

why cannot my well thought, intelligent, sincere comments not be posted?

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Dave

Not only do the women from the polygamist sect talk like little girls they also side step the question: "Do you permit underage girls to marry?"
    They side step the questions so skillfully you'd think they're running for public office.

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    I agree with Bonnie, Keep away from plane, I am worry about you!

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Terry, Texas

are their eyes red and puffy from crying...no

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Bonnie

Do the women have to show their marriage licenses?

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Brandi down the bayou.

k, that lady was so grateful that you guys were there with your cameras. the polygamists got smart and chose another spokeswoman. lol

April 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Angela, Virginia

Where are the kids TOYS?

She sounded so fake to me. Soft spoken to the point of nausea.

April 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Abby

All these women talking to reporters is just strange for lack of a better word. They claim to be desperate to get their children back, yet they are so calm. Usually when children are taken from their mothers, the mothers are hysterical. These women show no emotion. They avoid all questions regarding the age they were when they got married, and the ones who do answer always say either 20 or 21 so it seems like everything they say is planned. Even the mother crying at the end of the segment on 360 did not seem sincere.

April 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Sahira

I kind of feel bad for the women in this compound. They are ruled by their husbands as well as the church leaders. They have very little control over their own lives. Their children are as important to them as to any other mother. Now they are gone.

April 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Jolene

I agree Anderson, that video was very interesting. You still have to wonder where all the money comes from, that looked like a very well made home, the sewing machines alone must have cost a pretty penny.

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  23. DeniseGA

@Janice

I beg to differ, most people are very familair with Hillary, which is why they won't vote for her, nor trust her!

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  24. John

Just wanted to say that as a voter I am furious with how this debate was moderated tonight. I can't believe the first full 50 minutes were spent talking about who said what and who knew what, etc. I understand some of these topic deserve questions, but as a voter I am more interested in hearing presidential canidates debate actual issues. I can't believe we were talking about flag pins.

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Terri

These women seem like programmed robots.

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Slater

Clean home. Have they found "Sarah"? I hope they do.

Great to see a different view of this story with this video.

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  27. carmen

and where are all the macho men who husband all these wives?

April 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Pat

Are these polygamists on some kind of drugs – they all sound like they are on something or they are heavily scripted.

29. Jacqui Chan

Though I am empathetic towards the mothers involved in the raid because the were raised in this society and don't know anything else, I would like to hear how a mother would respond if someone where to ask her, "How would you feel if your son(s) were to become one of the lost boys and you would never hear from him again!"

30. ericacnn

Becca, I agree... it is eerie

31. Latanya, Tampa Fl

Hi Erica,
    No, I don't think that the on line activity hurts voters; I think ignorance hurts voters! We have gotten so far away from what really matters in this election ... I am waiting to see when my husband will be returning to Iraq. I have a 12 year old daughter. I don't think either of us care about the tabloid politics that is taking over.

32. Yvonne

Obama is a great teacher. Politicians and pundits have been keeping America in the dark for years. They treat us and talk to us like we're children and we don't get it. Obama speaks the truth and helps us understand the behind the scenes of political campaigns and Washington. He makes us want to get up and do something.

33. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Linda: I understand that, but the problem Obama ran into is when he linked it with guns when he was talking about the working class PA voters. That put a negative spin on it.

34. Leslie

I have to say I am disappointed with the debate. The line of questions were absurd and not reflective of the issues that concern me or any of the folks I talk to everyday. It is sad.....

35. Elke, SW Florida

Erica,
    the truth about candidates sometimes seems to be diluted; but then will we ever be told the whole truth?
    The more information there is out, the more you are influenced by it and sometimes it is difficult to "separate the wheat from the chaff".

36. Teresa, Kent, OH

ummmmmm, DID we just get a tour of a polygamist closet and "this is the back yard with grass that the children can play on?"

37. Maureen T

This woman is after the sympathy vote. I just feel sorry for her and all of the women and children of this sect. Not sympathetic though...

38. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Erica – most defintely cyberspace and the proliferation of news keeps even small stories out there in the media. Overall, I think a good thing.

Two hours of AC360... what a treat for a Wed night.

I applaud the pope in admitting things were handled wrong. Maybe that will mean future issues will get handled properly. We can only hope.

39. Saera El Paso, TX

this footage is just a bit fake feeling...
    again

40. Fay, CA

It's disturbing how these FLDS mothers go on and on about how much they love their children, yet they don't seem to have a problem with them being abused in the name of their "religion".

41. Angelique

Oh, yes. two hours. What a way to spend the evening. I can be on the treadmill the whole time and I wont even notice.

Anderson, good grief, can somebody answer what part the fathers are taking in this whole deal. Arent they the ones who should be getting questions?

42. Jose. Y

Its amazing how the CNN was able to gain voluntary access to this polygamist house.

43. Kathy

That compound is a scary place and so are the woman who live there.

44. Zenta, New York, NY

As Anderson points out, the lady seems clearly to be forced to do this tour by others, i.e., her supervisors.

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Liz in Pennsylvania

Where was Hillary's Flag pin??

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Brian Persaud

Sweet Jesus. The more footage I see of the FLDS compound, the more it feels like a really elaborate April Fool's joke.

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Shane, Kentucky

I think the internet is an excellent information tool in its infancy. Future generations are/will grow up with the information overload and learn to sift through it all to make informed decisions. Blogs and such are mind boggling to my parents, but it will become natural to our children to throw out the garbage and make use of the useful knowledge that can be gained on the internets.

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Lesli

Wow, just joined in the blog, missed the debate and turned on the show late tonight – comments look very nasty.

Just mentioning – please everyone needs to shake hands and exit the boxing ring. Time out guys and gals.

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Kim

Some of these women scare me, they sound so passive and lifeless and everything they say sounds so scripted.....

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |