April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Heath Seamon

That woman sounds like Anna Nicole Smith in a way...haha

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Michael

What will the Republicans think of next? (Elephant Bball photo)
    politics by bascketball?

Great article on Anderson in this current issue of Outside magizine!
    Way to go Anderson!

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  3. xtina, chicago IL

there's not much diff. between Obama and Hillary on policy. The real debates begin this summer.

April 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

I saw Marilyn giving a tour of her house and and interview to Larry King. It was a fascinating look into their lives.
    No matter what is going on in those camps. It's mothers separated from their kids, kids separated from their mothers! They are hurting.

April 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Barry

Anderson,

I have noted that there is no coverage or questioning of the men involved in this polygamy case. I have no doubt in my mind that the mothers really care for their children, but I think the men are the perpetrators of this alleged crime yet still I don't see them making an attempt to defend themselves. These men have inscribed this polygamous and incentious ideology in the women minds.

The men are using the women to get back the children. I like your work a lot, so please find a way to interview the men who are involved in this and get their answers to these important questions.

April 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Kriss

Erica,

What were you and Kevin laughing about on the webcam?

April 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Terry, Texas

look at how many pictures of Warren Jeffs are on the walls

April 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. kathleen

How come Obama gets critized for not wearing a flag pin and Clinton doesn't? Has she worn one at all through this whole election process
    I don't think wearing a flag pin says you are patriotic.

April 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Brian Persaud

Peanut> Agreed. "Elitist" has no correlation to wealth, its an attitude. None of the candidates are middle-class Americans.

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Michael

The debate this evening was spirited, in my opinion.

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Wow! 4 people are alive!! They are lucky to alive safe from crash in Congo......... They are miracles! good job congo get people out that plane!

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Jolene

Hi Erica: It's amazing what all the "buzz" stories do to those voters who don't follow the candidates like those of us who do. They have misconceptions and aren't necessarily aware of all the facts. However, things like the "bitter" statements, pastor statements, and lies about what happened while landing in Bosnia do affect them. At least this is what I've concluded from those "Water Cooler" discussions at work with my coworkers.

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Liz in Pennsylvania

Hello Anderson and Bloggers! WOW! Was that a debate or an Unjuried Trial?? I felt that the moderators had NO respect for the candidates. They were attacking the candidates as though the candidates had attacked the moderators. It was the worst debate I have EVER seen. The other debates CNN held were professional and precise. The CNN questions were intelligent where each candidate was able to discuss the questions and give information that gave you insight into each candidate. The debate tonight was no debate. It seems that most have the same opinion. Charles and George should NEVER be allowed to do a debate again.

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Fay, CA

Why isn't anything being done to improve the state of the Congo's airport and airplanes so that these accidents won't continue to occur?

April 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  15. angie tn

The debate tonite was a joke i'm surprised they didn't ask the canidates what they had for breakfast this morning.. and the answers that were given was a joke too....EVERYBODY knows clinton wont have troops out in 6 month so another lie from her...EVERYBODY knows REV WRIGHT will be the thorn in obama side..i'll be so glad when all this is over and we vote for a president cos this has already gotten dirty,petty and really boring now....personally i nominate anderson for prez!!!!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Janice

Most people who don't trust Hillary don't know that much about her. I have followed this woman for years now. I believe that she is the only one of the politians who is intelligent and honest enough to help this country that is in such a huge mess!!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Esther Salinas

Just so you people know on Bias CNN, Radical Obama will never win the Hispanic VOte that voted for Hillary at 70%. He only has 30% of the Hispanic vote because that 30% are mostly 1st generation Americans with Illegal parents that want drivers license for illegals. I'm sick and tired of your network always stating that the Hispanic vote will come back because right now were not familiar from this radical lover. Guess what, all of America is'nt familiar from this snake. All the Hispanics that voted for Hillary are voting For MCCain because he's a patriot. I know because i have my own blog and the people are saying this is going to happen and i am witth them. Again, for your eyes only Bias Anderson.

April 16, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Zing-Zing, Canada

Erica,
    I don't think online activity necessarily "hurts" voters; it's more of a way for voters to get the most up-to-date information rather. I think that the internet allows voters to get more information than just what is featured on television. Of course, it can work both ways: people can deliberately post slanderous information on the internet and have it reach a wider audience.

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Bonnie

AC–better stay away from that airport!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Erica, There is no such thing as too much information as far as the election is concerned. It is better to have too much than not enough. It is really up to the voters to determine what they believe to be true. That is why I get my information from a number of sources not just cable news. If we don't do our homework shame on us!

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Lesli

Wow, what an experience Barry Mosier and his family had on tht plane.

Anderson fly out of another airport next time.

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  22. xtina, chicago IL

I cannot vote for someone who doesn't put their hand over their heart or wear the flag pin proudly ! It's important to show patriotism

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Stacy

Erica, if anything I think all the online activity is a great benefit. Sure, there's a lot of misinformation and the blogs can act as an echo chamber, but quite frankly there's a lot of misinformation on television too. Now the blogs can keep the mainstream honest and push stories. Just look at what happened to Senator George Allen. If not for YouTube he might be the Republican nominee. Also, there are some great online sites such as factcheck.org that you can find great fact checking of campaign commercials.

April 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  24. armod

ABC it was the worst Debate in history simply a TABLOID EVENT, what a shame.

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. CaseyJPS - California

Erica-

I'll never believe that access to more information is a negative thing. I see your point about getting to the truth–that's very interesting and I really have to think about that...

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Slater

@ Erica: most definitely there is a wider audience with television and the internet and the public is able to voice their opinion in markets that they can be heard because of it as well.

The very fact that U Tube was the vehicle that the Rev. Wright sermons were televised on...the audience is huge. Without blogging and e-mailing and protesting, posting videos make statements that are just as loud.

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Terry, Texas

I think that it does make it more difficult...most that I know take things that come across in e-mails to be the truth and do no research themselves.

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Bonnie

So glad that family made it out safe. Wow!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Brian Persaud

Erica Hill> No I think the internet is absolutely fantastic. Its so easy for the media to spin it, but when you post raw footage on sites such as Youtube, you can judge for yourself.

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  30. PAT SIMS

I watched the debate, too. Hillary didnt dig into Obama until he lied about the questions being asked or only told half truths. What is the big deal about forgetting exactly what happened in Bosnea,. Obama denies anything he has been caught doing. Good grief you Americans believe anything told to you, you are ignorant and redneck just exactly as he stated. Clinging to your guns and religion, and against illegal aliens, your bitter and frustrated. This is what he said about small town americans in a closed fund raising event with his wealthy crowd. CNN quit lieing about the debate, the questions were asked by the ABC newsmen. She gave the rebuttal.

April 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

Erica,

"Also, do you think all the activity online hurts voters; does it make it more difficult to get the truth about the candidates?"

Interesting question. I think it doesn't hurt voters anymore than what they see on TV.

I think most of us know all 3 campaigns have their workers trolling sites like these – trying to influence everyone. (especially the Clinton campaign...)

It is harder for voters to make decision with so much more information (cable, internet, etc) to sort through – but that's both a plus & a negative. In the end I think most voters will make a well informed decision on who they feel is the best candidate.

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Carla Ontario Canada

@Mary, I could agree with you more. Hillary is by far the most knowledgeable and strongest candidate. I am truly impressed as she speaks with authority and doesn't stump with her answers. She knows the issues inside and out and explains her plans very clearly.
    GO HILLARY!

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Off topic but Erica you look lovely tonight. You can't tell you are probably frozen

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Lana

Anderson,
    Clinton's under sniper fire and Obama's Bitter comment have been covered so deeply by the media, why doesn't the media talk about the oil in Iraq and what is happening to it? or other important issues
    It would also be a good idea to cover some of the private companies such as Halliburton, their profits and the war. companies like those are profiting from the war. the connection between those companies and the goverment (conflict of interest).

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Jen in Mex.

The problem is that so many people don't have the minimum idea of how to evaluate information ( and not just politics) on the internet. Just one more failure, and a dangerous one, of how and where we get our information. Of course, that doesn't apply to this blog or hosts and participants 🙂

April 16, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

I think the internet is doubled edged sword. You can't verify facts as well as say, in a printed newspaper article.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Brandi down the bayou.

AAAAAHHHH! Im being moderated!! Stop it!!

Erica, I think we actually hear more with all the online activity, however, it does make it a little more difficult to separate fact from rumor.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Billi

Erica, I think it is very hard for the voters to get the truth about candidates when commentators let their bias about candidates come through. This blog allows all comments but Jack Cafferty will NOT post anything nice about Senator Clinton.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Judy

Love it when the show emphasizes politics over other issues. I also love it when Candy Crowley and David Gergen are part of your panel.
    They are always so refined and well spoken.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  40. janet

Erica~
    I believe the blogs and active cyberspace do keep it alive, but that is a good thing. I don't think the activity hurts the voter, because I'm hoping that it sparks a question in the voter like it does in me and then they research it themselves. I don't make a decision by what you or Anderson may say or report on, and I don't think that you want your views to make a decision on what you say or do. I hope that they research it themselves and make a wise and well thought out decision.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

Also, I wore flag label pin my life, I am support USA!

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

The web has become a great source for unfiltered information as well as extremely biased commentary...it all depends on how open you are as a reader to understand which is which!

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Yvonne

Where does Hillary wear her flag pin?

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Yen

Thank you, Mark Helprin, for that last remark. I'm tired of Obama claiming he doesn't engage in negative attacks.

April 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree Jo Ann, The generals are over there trying to do their job. Their advice just can't be disregarded.

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Lisa - Fayetteville, GA

Where was Hilary's Flag Pin!! I'm Bitter about that too! Could it be that Hilary isn't a true patriot????? Heaven forbid!

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Jason

Was it just me or did Hillary admit she lied about the Bosnia incident?

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Kim

Erica, I think all the interest and discussions on the internet and in blogs is a good thing. However it means there are so many opinions available that people have to be careful not to confuse opinions and editorials with facts. I think many readers take things they read for granted without checking the facts and being critical of what they read....

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. DeniseGA

Gary, I caught that as well. She skipped right over the question.
    Just as she declined and they went to commercial, when Obama stated facts about the pardons, Bill Clinton made.

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Kriss

Uh-oh, Anderson's playing with his blackberry again... =)
    You gotta love this webcam!

April 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |