April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lj Amato New York

After this debate, it cannot be made more clear to me that Hillary is far more intelligent, capable and ready to be Commander in Chief. Obama stumbled and tripped over his words. She is clear concise and right on the mark.

Hillary '08 All the Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. carmen

David is always so clear and substantive

April 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Kim in Texas

Sharon: I agree completely. Obama flipped, flipped, "bush diverted", stumbled, hammered. He wasn't able to spit out his campaign rhetoric and vague/ambiguous answers as he gets away with in most debates.

Tonight's debate was truly revealing on how well they each can think and speak on the spot. Hillary won this debate hands down.

Persons that voted for Obama back months ago are now reconsidering why they voted for him in the first place, as once you get past the campaign "goodie" talk, they are finally getting to see him for what he is – an individual with a huge ego who would sacrifice the rights of voters in Florida and Michigan in order to get what HE wants for himself.

April 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Jayson

Janet i know alot of people who agree with you OB is just as fake as any politican and he true colors really showed tonight he had more time to talk and he still looked like a liar he coud have converted the questions back to policy i fhe wanted but didnt we dont need another WUBBA

April 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I love that 6 out of 10 Americans don't trust Hillary. Very interesting

April 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. janet

I agree with SHARON that CNN doesn't like Hillary. I also believe most of the other news stations are on a Hillary hunt. What's funny is FOX news, which is not democratic, is the only one sticking up for Hillary. They are always asking why are all the other news stations attacking her and protecting Obama. I watch all the news stations so I can get a perspective on what everyone is thinking.

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Emily

Well said Sharon this was the first time I seen some good questions .
    and no one was asking him if he needed a pillow.
    Did anyone see the front page of the USA Today Paper?
    GO HILLARY

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Slater

Hi Erica, good to see you.

@Megan: it is good to hear a point of view from an objective source outside of the US. I agree that the issues are what is important. Unfortunately as the Dems discuss trivial issues McCain tackles more of the issues and because we are waiting to hear about the issues, and he is addressing them, his audience is getting wider.

Notwithstanding the issues raised and discussed tonight, it is important for the Dems to carry these issues into the months to come and leave trivial issues behind tonight.

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Megan O.
    Erica is here on live blog, they have problem webcam......

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Stacy

I agree that they both just pandered on Iraq. They just gave fuel to McCain. Not a good move.

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Pat

These debates are silly – both candidates can answer the questions – at the end of the neither can give a straight answer as to how they plan to reach out to all Americans.

Now, if you happen to be a guy wearing a chicken suit on a Thursday both candidates would have a plan to help that one guy.

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Jose. Y

oops..nevermind Erica just posted. On another note, I had no clue a debate was held today. Hearing the clips on CNN makes me wonder if this debate was even about the issues.

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Doug, Florida

Obama looks real presdental tonite and Hillary sound so bitter

April 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Edana Popp

No TV, so I won't know when you're talking about the FLDS...
    As I said on another post, please do a piece about keeping the Attorneys General honest! Where have they been hiding while the pedophiles get away with their sick activities?

Who is "following the money?"

April 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Jim

People say this is such a "Historic" moment in American politics..... seems to be same old story of politics as usual, mudslinging reigns supreme, rhetoric, and false promises taking center stage: Most voters believing in smoke and mirrors promises. What's so historic about the same way each political campaign unfolds?It's the same he said she said negativity. Want to win the confidence of American voters ? It's easily accomplished. Be honest. Don't promise the moon and stars when you know for absolute certainty you can't deliver.

April 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. EJ - Ohio

Are people who make $250,000/year really considered middle class? Wow. What I would give to have a salary like that. $0/year is not really getting me anywhere.

April 16, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Mike

Hello Anderson,

I find this particularily curious. If the moderators were asking everyone about their dirt and baggage......I found it curious why they didn't bring up the latest controversy about clinton's advisor being demoted after promoting and working on the colombian trade agreement.

Seems to me the moderators were concentrating on obama's so called mistakes (keep in mind that he is charged for what other's have done, and for only having to know them) while they completely missed to ask teh candidates questions about where they stand on America's trade policy. (not a single question was asked about trade policy which I think is one of the big issues. I would have been more than interested in trying to find out where Clinton stood on this despite the recent controversy with her top campaign advisor.

April 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Jen in Mex.

Thanks for fixing the web cam. We want all sides covered!

April 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. xtina, chicago IL

I could almost stomach a Hillary presidency, as long as she doesn't raise my taxes

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Kriss

Anderson,
    Hope you brought a heater for Erica. Or better yet, you should bring her over to your table, so she won't feel so cold! Besides, we don't like seeing Erica soo far away!

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. EJ - Ohio

"I’d rather see more forums like the “Compassion Forum” the other night. Let each candidate answer questions to a host for a period of time and then have the other candidate take the same questions without the candidates addressing each other."

Yes that was actually very well done. It was different and also a different look into the hearts & minds on the candidates. I enjoyed that.

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Mary

Well it was over whelping how Hillary won that debate tonight. She had answers and Obama was babbing. Wake up America Hillary is the one to be President.

Don't tell me that Hillary is not due our trust, she is the only one of the Presidental candiates that is electableand capable of running this country.

Stop complaining about the answers that were given, both candiates were answering the questions they were ask. I like the questions because that has been what the people have been asking about.

Hillary Clinton is the smartest person in Washington DC. Hillary 08 or a mistake

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Colin Manzon

Oh great?? Another story on the polygimist compound. Talking about beating a story to death. Well at least it wasn't the lead story for a half hour today. I don't care that you got exclusive access to the compound. Now you're going to show us where one of them live. Do you really think I'm not going to switch the channel? Come on guys get real, this stuff is getting really boring. Sorry to be so blunt but it is the truth.

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Sharon, GO HILLARY!

What does it feel like, CNN?????? Obama was ACTUALLY ASKED hard questions!!!!! Something CNN is not capable of doing. You all LIVE to protect your golden child. You are a joke!

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

oops! I made mistake webcast instead webcam, LOL! duh me!

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  26. CaseyJPS - California

Honestly, I just don't care who "mis-spoke" about what, or about the persons in their everyday lives they know (short of political influence). I want to hear about the issues that affect me and my community, which includes the Iraq occupation. I think the CNN profiling the three candidates is brilliant and a good start for me to learn about who these people really are (although none of the stories are definitive).

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

@ Andrea – I met Anderson last year at a booksigning and talked to him about coming to Canada. He said he has been to Montreal but there is a whole lot of the great white north the 360 needs to see

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Jolene

I'm done with these democratic debates, much rather see a debate with between the Republican and Democratic candidate discussing their stance on the issues....that is, if we ever get a Democratic candidate.

April 16, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Billi

The "debate" was not about the issues because the media keeps telling us that they are so close on the issues. The media keeps telling us that it is about character. The Obama campaign has said there have been enough debates. And Anderson keeps bringing up trust and likeability. So, what is it that viewers want – issues or getting to know the candidates?

ABC did a good job on giving us a chance to look at these candidates.

April 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Dwayne

Anderson,
    It seems as if the debates that aired on ABC tonight did not reveal anything new. When are the american people going to hear something that has real substance? Truth be told, I believe that the ameriacn people will be somewhat happy once these primaries are over. We may begin to see some real issues being discussed verses the silly season of politics that the american people are subject to hear.

April 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Brian Persaud

Kathy> Obama has also lied. On one occasion he said he wasn't aware of Wright's views, and then later said that he has known about them for the years he attended the church. The interview footage is on Youtube, although it hasn't made headlines. Just being fair.

April 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Did Hillary say she'd discount the generals advice? Obama too?

April 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. xtina, chicago IL

It IS important to look at the fabric of Obama's church-

Rev Wright's 20 year relationship with Obama defines Obama's character. The rhetoric, the tone of Rev Wright define the church and the church defines Obama's spiritual life.

April 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

this was a horribly slow hump day to be honest Erica.....only thing to make the time past was waiting for 360 to start

April 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Sharon, GO HILLARY!

CNN HATES Hillary Clinton.....why don't you just come out and say so.....you treat her horribly and praise everything BO does and make excuses for everything he does.

April 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Yen

Jo Ann, I agree with you on that.

April 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Slater

Obama got the backing of 2 superdels today. i wonder if this is a sign of things to come in the very near future. I am not sure if Hillary is going to recover from the image that she is projecting. They are pretty calm tonight though.

April 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Lisa - Fayetteville, GA

I'm Bitter alright – Bitter that ABC's so called debate was a waste of time!

April 16, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  39. janet

I'm upset that Obama has been able to hide who he truly is until now. It seems to me that he has been covering up his true beliefs and they are now coming out. I wish I could change my vote for Clinton, but our primaries are over now. I also want to know more about Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers and Dohrn. It seems like he has a close relationship with people who don't love our country and have it's best interest in mind.

40. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

where is Erica hiding on webcam???

41. Jose. Y

Hello everyone, where is Erica anyway?

42. Kolynda

This was the WORST debate I have ever seen!!! The debate was completely biased. ABC news should be ashamed. They did a horrible job. They barely spoke about the issues.

43. kathy in ohio

he has to keep explaining the wright issue over and over because he keeps changing his story

44. Melinda

Part of the problem with politics in general is that no one is every allowed to be a human being. No on is ever allowed to make a mistake or vote for something that they later realize was a mistake. Yes, trust and honesty are very important (blatant lying is not cool) but I think all the candidates need to be seen as humans with faults and baggage. Sometimes they all deserve a break. None of us are perfect, that's for sure.

45. Jennifer

Sahira,
    The Bosnia thing wasn't the only "mistake".....and she hasn't apologized for it either. If Obama gets whacked for saying "regret" and it's not considered an apology, Clinton's "misstatement" should be treated the same

46. Rene

Tonights debate was a waste. The moderators were clearly pro Hillary and keep repeating yesterdays news, bitter and Rev Wright, but like Obama I think most Americans are smarter than that. Obama made a few points that showed again Hillarys inability to be truthful and her ability to flip flop and say whatever she thinks is necessary to win. She had no response either time because truth is truth.

47. Mary

Shame on ABC it was the most negative and disgusting anchor...ouach

48. Sharon, GO HILLARY!

OMG!!!!!Anderson is actually crying with David about how the debate went for their precious BO!!!!! How funny!!!!!
    That was THE best debate of this entire primary! They BOTH were asked tough questions and were not allowed to give flimsy answers. You guys at CNN and the people at NBC have treated BO with such kid gloves, he can't handle REAL questions.....I knew if I tuned in tonight all you would do is YET AGAIN bash Hillary and try to make up for BO's problems. You all can take your polls and place them you know where. Let's see what Tuesday brings!

49. Latanya, Tampa Fl

I am back from the dark side! Thank GOD! So glad to be watching you Anderson! That so called debate was awful! The first hour was nothing but tabloid tv! I really don't care who wears a flag pin. Someone once told be going to church ever sunday makes you no more faithful than going into a garage makes you a mechanic.
    Kind of feel the same way about the flag pin.

50. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

The Bosnia thing was a mistake made on 4 separate occasions. This is why people are wondering how truthful Clinton is on the real issues.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13