April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Keysha – They both really showed their hands by interrupting Barack throughout the night while interrupting Hillary maybe once or twice.

April 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Chuck in Alabama

Interesteing debate. I don't think either candidate got off easy. Wish they had skipped the whole 'oops factors' questions and just moved on to the issues.

I didn't see a big gap between the plans or responses other than Clinton appeared to have done her homework on the statistics and facts.

I'd rather see more forums like the "Compassion Forum" the other night. Let each candidate answer questions to a host for a period of time and then have the other candidate take the same questions without the candidates addressing each other.

April 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Jayson

yeah hillary talked circles around obama when they would let her speak they focused more on him then asking the right questions but i do think she talked a little bit more policy then he did i mean he keeps bringing up her husband but i dont think hes running or did i miss that but over all even though she didnt get as much time to talk as him she won hands down he stutters to much i think he reminds me of a president i know no thank you return to sender

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Andrea from Canada

Hahaha... I agree with you Megan O, I have a place for them to stay if it happens! 😉

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Brandi down the bayou.

ummmm.....WEBCAM!!??

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

all these non issues are not helping all you americans. as someone outside looking in....sometimes it is laughable but then I realize it is actually really just sad. Get to the issues

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. ericacnn

Good evening, bloggers – hope everyone had a good day.

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Stacy

I'm not sure why we needed this debate anyway. If you haven't made up your mind by this point...

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  9. xtina, chicago IL

don't make the campaign hinge on the Bosnia comment and the "flag comment" and little things such as these. Let's talk character and accomplishments.

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Anderson or Erica,
    what happened to webcast????

April 16, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Keysha

When is CNN doing another debate?

April 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

Anderson, Why is it that when Clinton misspeaks it s called a lie, but when Obama misspeaks it is just a misunderstanding? In my opinion, they are both being dishonest.

April 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Brandi down the bayou.

Why hello Brian, I agree, not impressed at all.

April 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  14. priscilla

honestly Obama said the truth about people being bitter. yes i am and i have met people who are.bitter about the economy, immigration, and the government and guess what they tturn to what they know best. which religion, family,other activities.

April 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  15. xtina, chicago IL

Obama's explanation was weak that Rev Wright's comments were only snippets. These are two hour long videos being sold on the church's website!!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Alys

have any of the candidates mentioned what they plan to do to help the crisis on Darfur??

April 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Shell Hari

Hillary Clinton's Book...

Can anyone read the chapter on the Bosnian trip in Hillary's book to make sure that Hillary was not getting up at 3am in the morning to answer phone calls and became so tired that she hallucinated about coming under sniper fire during her trip to Bosnia when she wrote this section? I wouldn't mind if she mis-wrote. I am getting immuned to her virus.

Shell, N.Y.

April 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Sunae, Jacksonville, Fl

Your right Anderson it's a big disconnect. Hillary stuck her foot in her mouth.

April 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Sahira

The Bosnia thing was just a mistake. LET IT GO PEOPLE! She has apoloziged for it several times.

April 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Slater

Sometimes it is best not to say the truth because it may get misinterpreted by the audience that hears it.

Oh no, the trials and travails of misstatements and blunt truths. Can we get past this? It is putting McCain in the lead and splitting the Dem party.

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Terry, Texas

Of course Obama is electable. He wouldn't get this far without it. I am glad that she has said it so she can move on to proving she is a stronger candidate.

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Fay, CA

It's long past time to move away from the Reverand Wright story–how many times does Obama have to explain his association with the pastor? When will they ever put the focus on the other important issues that are going to affect voters?

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. xtina, chicago IL

Hillary was right to point out that Obama's judgment must be called out by his relationship with Rev Wright.

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Keysha

"Kevin Leo"

I was looking at the comments on the ABC news blogs too. People are upset, the debate was very one sided.

Charlie was pretty much arguing with Obama the entire time.

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

Hi EJ!
    Me too EJ! I will watch CNN next Tuesday!

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Emily

Yea but the media is also to blame for the way they talk about her.
    Go Hillary

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Terri

I was on their blog and it was soooo negative towards ABC and how they handled this debate.

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Alys

EJ I agree, it feels like debate #2100...especially when they don't talk about the issues

April 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Jean Meyers, Atlanta, GA

As for the debate, it's not really debate because I heard more cherry-picked news topic questions than the policies of the candidates. Plus Clinton should realize that her own husband has shaken hands and spoken with the same Rev. Wright that the news soundbites. So by social law of Clinton, because she's married to Bill Clinton, who knows Rev. Wright through association, then she's affiliated with the same reverend as Obama and we've just played a game of Six Degrees of Separation of Obama and Clinton.

April 16, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  30. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

The ABC debate should have addressed the real issues facing Americans instead of all the manufactured theatrics.

April 16, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Kathy

She might not be dumb. But she did lie about sniper fire.

April 16, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  32. EJ - Ohio

"I’m not bitter, but I can certainly understand why others would be."

I'm certainly bitter... I'm tired of being tired and tired of being sick and unemployed and everything else.

April 16, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Billi

Why are you discussing Senator Clinton's choice of things to talk about when SHE WAS ASKED the questions????
    \

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Zing-Zing, Canada

Pat, I agree with you. We seem to have shifted the focus from the issues to more of an entertainment / tabloid foray.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Brian Persaud

The way I see it no one is taking the high road. I think I would have jumped ship, if Obama didn't allow himself to involve himself in "old politics", but that isn't the case. He is as defensive as ever, so they are more or less equals in my mind.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  36. Stacy

This is so ridiculous. We're fighting two wars. Millions in poverty. Millions without health insurance. Crumbling infrastructure. A failing education system. New Orleans still struggling. And on and on. Yet here we are talking about poor word choices.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

obvisously Anderson should do some 360's from Canada since he has so many viewers from Canada....what do you think Anderson and Erica 😉

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

It seems like the issues aren't very important in this election as they are rarely talked about.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Teresa

@ PAT: perhaps they feel they are being talked down to?

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Carla Ontario Canada

@lorie ann, CA. highly recommend watching debate, Hillary did exceptional well. It is clear to me that she is the stronger one.
    No offense to CNN but ABC News did execellent job. I am loyal to CNN daily.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, Ohio

Strangely enough by refusing to disavow his relationship with Reverend Wright and the church which supports him, Obama is also guilty of clinging to his religion.

April 16, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  42. EJ - Ohio

I was kind of bored by the debates. This is the 21st one right?

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Doug, Florida

Anderson:
    Can we talk about the issues. Move on PLEASE!!!!

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  44. xtina, chicago IL

so who do people want to see take on the great John McCain? Hillary or Obama ??

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  45. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Kathy I could not agree more with your comment.....she has amazing skill at not answering the question that was actually asked of her

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Yes! I agree with you LOL! Brandi!

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  47. Tony

Hi Erica!
    Hello from Portugal again.
    You are beautiful as always.
    Have a nice show!

April 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Slater

Hi Anderson:

Glad you are back. I have been off the blog this week due to workload. Looking forward to the debate, and I really hope they stay civil.

April 16, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Shane, Kentucky

I agree with Obama, people are bitter. I lost my job 2 1/2 years ago to overseas competition. I was fortunate to get retraining. Now just as I get out of school, the economy tanks and I can't find work in my new field in my small town. I'm not bitter, but I can certainly understand why others would be.

April 16, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  50. Keysha

That debate was horrible. They talked about issues that were not relevant to Americans.

We heard more from Obama, then Hilary, they asked him redundant questions over issues that we have already heard about and gave answers too

ABC should never ever do another debate again.

April 16, 2008 at 10:07 pm |