April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CaseyJPS - California

I'm so tired I think you just said an alligator stole something.....

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Lilibeth

Hey, Rebecca! Nice to hear from you! Nice to see that I have fellow bloggers in my neck of the woods. Sorry to blog in late today...had too much going on. But I look forward to blogging with you guys again tomorrow and into the future. Anyway good night to you and Megan, and all the other bloggers, and to Anderson and Erica!

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Sahira

Good night Anderson and Erica!
    Great show tonight and thanks for the 2 hour live program.

See ya tomorrow!

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Brandi down the bayou.

HAHA! ERICA! "thats how I ride!"

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  5. EJ - Ohio

Goodnight Anderson & Erica – You both are too cute!

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good night. The blog was good tonight. Much more on topic than some nights. Nothing like ending the eve with a gator in a car..Night all

April 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Yvonne

I'm almost certain that if Obama was white and had the name Barry O'Reilly, we would not be wondering who he is and questioning him so much.

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  8. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Great fun tonight.....good night Anderson, Erica and bloggers. see you tomorrow

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  9. Keysha from Hotlanta

night night all

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  10. Brandi down the bayou.

Goodnight!! <3

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  11. CaseyJPS - California

I can't believe you got me to stick with this for two hours. Congratulations. I must be obsessed....or maybe posessed(sp?).

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  12. lpfoong, Malaysia

Can you put the Planet in Peril pieces in the first hour, please ?International viewers don' t get to watch them.

April 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  13. Lesli

I liked the two hour format but it has cut in my time to solve the suduko and crossword puzzels before signing off for the night.

Will this become a regular thing? I think the show used to be two hours didn't it?

April 16, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, Ohio

I really enjoyed the program and the blogging tonight!

Good night Anderson and everyone!

April 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  15. Lilibeth

Erica...LOL about the gummy bears comment! 🙂

April 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  16. Minou, New York City

Night Night All! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

April 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  17. Rebecca

Lilibeth and Megan...
    hello from a fellow Washingtonian

April 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  18. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

Just one thought to the Obama defenders before I leave: Had HRC said those same verbatum remarks in a secret speech, then would anyone of them be willing to come out and defend her so strongly as they are Sen. Obama? The answer is all but obvious...
    Thanks Anderson for putting this line open for two hours. May I suggest that it be put up again like this next Tuesday?
    Phil

April 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  19. Jolene

Thanks Erica: I guess I did see those profiles of the spouses but they didn't seem as in depth.

Thanks for the 2 hour 360 blogging tonight (even though AC doesn't blog as much as Erica does).

Nite all.

April 16, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  20. Lesli

Loved the McCain piece Erica – great work.

April 16, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Me too! Lilibeth 😛

April 16, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  22. Sandy Huber

To Martha and others in remarks regarding the biased media...Think back when Obama won in Iowa. Hillary was already being made a casualty of the presidential campaign as the press consolidated its supportive coverage of Barack. When Hillary won in New Hampshire, the media was shocked but not quite owning of its mistake regarding that primary. Remember the debates and the bombardment of questions to Hillary as the field of her running mates received a more civil treatment. Finally when the field was two, it took Saturday Night Live before the press crafted a more moderated coverage of Hillary that lasted about a week before returning to a more belligerent and aggressive coverage of her versus Barack. Hillary went the distance when she was first lady with health care, Whitewater, Monica, and a number of other issues. Hillary now has to go the distance with a biased press. Hillary can certainly go the distance in the White House for eight years...

April 16, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  23. Jean Meyers, Atlanta, GA

hey when are you guys bringing back the AC360 passport covers?

April 16, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  24. Brandi down the bayou.

k, maybe ill make sure to be late getting out of class tomorrow night. Im kinda scared of that first picture I saw. 🙂

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  25. Steven-Hixson,TN

It's great to see you guys doing stuff on John McCain.He was my first choice for President because I thought there was no way Obama would ever get this far.McCain is a man worthy of all America's respect,regardless of differences of opinion.He says what he believes in his heart to be the best course for America and it's hard to say that about most politicians.My views are more in line with Obama's vision of our country's future,but should Obama fail to secure the nomination of the Democratic party,I will return to my first choice.Senator John McCain,a true American icon.

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  26. Patty

I think campaign finance reform was Mccain's act of contrition after the
    Keating scandal.

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  27. Yen

Great job, Erica. No matter who I end up voting for I have nothing but deep respect for John McCain.

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  28. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Erica, great job with the McCain piece. I hope we will see more reports from you in the furute. You're a really good journalist.

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  29. carmen

Miranda, why don't McCain and Clinton wear the flag?

April 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  30. Sarah

Erica Hill for the win!!1!11!

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  31. Jana, Indiana

I agree with Jo Ann, Ohio. Erica you did a great piece on McCain.

Glad to see Anderson is doing the Hillary piece tomorrow night. That should be interesting.

Good night all

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  32. Lilibeth

Erica, thanks so much for the profile on Mr. McCain! There was a lot of information there I didn't know before! Your report was very eye-opening. Thank you!

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  33. Greg, Cincinnati

Nice report on skyrocketing food costs worldwide. As a logistics professional I'd caution you from citing transportation costs as a key contributor. Transportation service costs in the US and throughout the world have remained static or gone down in the past year. The real contributor is diesel cost. World diesel demand and run-away crude are causing diesel to hit new highs almost weekly. As a result, fuel surcharges charged by transportation providers keep rising with it.

I find it laughable to see The World Bank asking world powers to subsidize food prices. When we will we quit chasing the effect, and take measures to deal with the cause? Crude, crude, crude!

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  34. Rachel

It seemed to me that the three commentators were leaning strongly toward Obama based on the positives and the negatives that they commented on for each candidate.
    I really dislike the fact that Hillary did not give a true account of the
    "bombing issue." That was not smart – though she is a very intelligent woman. I believe she could be a good and caring president.
    However, when it took Obama twenty years to decide to walk away from the beliefs of a pastor that believes what his pastor believes, that man can't be vey smart. And, if he were not in a political battle, would he still be "worshipping" in this man's church? I am very concerned.

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  35. Sahira

Erica, loved the piece on McCain. Very informative.

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  36. EJ - Ohio

Nice segment on McCain Erica!

April 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  37. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Well worth the 2 hours of 360 tonight.

Lordy I never pictured Hillary as a brunette. Oh she said no.....why did she not stick with her first instinct 😛

April 16, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  38. Lesli

Jana and Brandi

You've given me an idea – they should make bobble heads dolls of Erica and AC.

April 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  39. Lilibeth

Thanks, Megan! Good evening to you! You know, we're actually neighbors...I'm from Edmonds, and you're from Shoreline...Hooray to us Washingtonians!

April 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Erica, You did a great job with the McCain profile. You had a lot of territory to cover and you did it well. I think you are right, McCain is sacrificing some things to win.

April 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  41. Rebecca

WOW – fantastic job Erica! Thanks

April 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

great work, Erica! Hope they'll give you more assignments like that.

April 16, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  43. miranda

Why you don't wear the flag? the question was..Obama's answer..a bunch of empty words...yet the people buy this?unbelievable!!! how can some people have such empty heads.. We are really desperate..
    He says the American are smarter than thinking this>give us a break

I love Hillary saying she has a lot of baggage and everyone has rummage thru it!! Yes Yes yes we know who lHillary is..We do not know who Obama is! and who is he? A man that talks much but says nothing.He is like Jones..very convincing and his followers drank the Kool aid..and we all know the results of his good talk...
    The little bit that I can leave my country, my family, my friends, neighbors and the little bit that I can do for my country is support the troops until they come home ( Which I hope is soon) Love my family and firend and definately not vote for Obama

April 16, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Good night Liz!

April 16, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  45. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

Ester,
    You are totally right, John McCain is a bonafide war hero. No if ands or buts.
    The only thing that bothers me from him is the fact of the Lincoln Savings and Loan deal better known as the "Keating five" which I will assume will rise up when he gets nominated in september if not before.

April 16, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  46. Rebecca

Lorie Ann I agree!

April 16, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  47. Sahira

Hey Lilibeth – I was wondering where you were?

April 16, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  48. xtina, chicago IL

Obama looks down on Americans. The "clinging to religion" comments are another example of this. Can you imagine Ronald Reagan making such a statement?

April 16, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  49. Saera El Paso, TX

great piece on McCain Erica!

April 16, 2008 at 11:46 pm |