April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Coco

the profile on each of the presidential candidates is great segment. yesterday's piece on sen. obama left me wanting to know more though. i felt like it was just scratching the surface. i hope the show will continue to do more of these in depth profiles.

April 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  2. Brandi down the bayou.

Anderson, you are not blogging. Erica is doing all the work right now. 😛

April 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  3. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Wow Erica your piece on John McCain was really fantastic. I really learned alot (you looked great standing in front of the Capitol BTW)

Great pieces on Obama and McCain. Even though I may not like her, I can't wait to see the Hillary piece. I am sure it will be just as good.

Since there was no response to my Nader question I am guessing there is not going to be a Nader piece???

April 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  4. ericacnn

Hi, Jolene - we did profile Mrs McCain, Mrs Obama and Chelsea Clinton recently...

April 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  5. Melinda

Although I do not agree with his politics or his stand on most issues I do admire and respect John McCain. He seems like a good and honorable person,which is rare for Washington.

April 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, I hope they repeat your piece on John MCCain in prime time ac360. If CNN bumped Obama or hillary to 11:45 pm eastern time there would be an explosion of anger. Fair is fair.

April 16, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  7. Liz in Pennsylvania

Good Night everyone! Thanks Anderson and everyone @ CNN.

April 16, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  8. EJ - Ohio

I remember what the Republicans did to McCain in 2000. That was very nasty. I would never trust them if I were him but I guess he felt he had to forgive. They really tore into his family.

April 16, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  9. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Erica,

We wouldn't dare turn off yet. Not on a 2 hour AC360 night. Good piece on McCain.

You know we are all feeling the pain with higher prices for food but I didn't even think about how developing or thrird world countries are impacted. Hopefully the world bank will be able to help out.

Do you think in our lifetime we can turn the whole energy crisis around (meaning everyone truly changing our habits to conserve, finding viable alternative engergy sources, etc etc).

April 16, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  10. Rebecca

great segment 360!

April 16, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

Nice piece, Erica! He has been tested in many ways.

April 16, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  12. Jolene

It would be interesting if 360 did similar pieces on the candidate's spouses. Bill, Cindy, and Michelle. You know stuff we haven't already heard or seen.

April 16, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Jana...... 🙂

April 16, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  14. Esther Salinas

It.s kind of Ironic though that obama mentioned "Bitterness" clinging to guns and faith on a state where the constitution was signed protecting those very rights. I just thought about it and was'nt him a constitutional teacher.

April 16, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  15. Brandi down the bayou.

Im sorry, McCain just seems to have so much integrity and honor. He seems so sincere and passionate, loves him!

April 16, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  16. Theresa

Overall, I was disappointed by the debate. It was tabloid and not topic.

I did think Hillary was combative and avoided direct questions. obama looked nervous for the first time. Basically, the whole affair sucked.

April 16, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  17. Stacy

Elke, I think I'm with you. His pandering to the extreme Right and the recent Shia/Sunni mess ups are disturbing.

April 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  18. Lilibeth

Hi all, joining in late...

April 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  19. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

I would like to find out who were the people that Barack Obama was saying the Bitter remarks to in the Bay Area? All I know is that the person who broke the news was an Obama supporter and was very reluctant to break the story.
    Phil

April 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  20. Katherine

Christina and Sahira - thanks for the affirmation. I was wondering if I was the only one who loves to watch Anderson and Erica "converse".

April 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  21. Fay, CA

360's in depth profiles of the candidates so far have been excellent–I've already watched last night's Obama piece twice and although I'm not a McCain supporter, I'm finding the report on him really interesting.

April 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  22. Rebecca

he seems sincere to me... I want to know who he'll pick for his running mate?? Someone that will be fantastic for the economy perhaps?

April 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  23. Jana, Indiana

So Erica, maybe you can get Anderson to bobble his head to the music tomorrow night. ha

April 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  24. Melinda

I'm not an Obama supporter but I don't think he should be faulted for not wearing a label pin of the flag. Most people don't and I don't think it means he isn't patriotic. There are far more important issues regarding all the candidates than a flag lapel pin. If someone chooses to do so that's fine but why should someone be made to wear one to proclaim their patriotism?

April 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  25. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Who's pulled the short straw and got the Ralph Nader piece HAHA 😛

April 16, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  26. Brandi down the bayou.

yay Erica! I'll be watching for the bobble head tomorrow, if I'm home from classes in NOLA soon enough. 🙂

I'm loving the McCain piece. An earlier post asks why no one is asking him why he doesnt wear a lapel pin, my opinion, he was a POW, the ultimate patriot, dont even attempt to discredit that.

April 16, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  27. Alvin

@JRay ... I'm from PA but I don't cling to a gun or my religon in tough times.

April 16, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  28. Jolene

Who would have figured that McCain liked to party? It's interesting to see how he's aged throughout the years. Thanks for this Erica / 360, I appreciate learning about the candidates like this. It is helping me see the candidates in a different light (especially those of us who haven't decided who to support yet).

April 16, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  29. getyourgunAnnie

I've read her book where she writes about Bosnia. She told the truth in her book. I believe she knows she made a mistake and she apologized. Kudos to her for that. Obama is flustered and wishes he was in San Francisco.

April 16, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Thanks Katherine!!!!! I agree with you!

April 16, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  31. xtina, chicago IL

young john mccain is pretty easy on the eyes, but that's a bonus to his great patriotism and service to our country

April 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  32. Elke, SW Florida

I don't know what anybody else is thinking, but I can't help the feeling that John McCain is not a sincere man. He may have been a POW in Vietnam, but he just comes across so untrustworthy at times. And I think he is too old for the job! And this country does not need 'Bush – round 3'. Okay, I am getting off his back now ...

April 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  33. EJ - Ohio

I've seen a lot on all of the candidates – especially since McCain ran before. I always find these segments interesting. McCain was very handsome in his day – He still is.

April 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  34. Rebecca

keena, too funny yes.... a young Marlon Brando

April 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

McCain was kind of cute when he was young...

April 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  36. keena

Is it just me or does a younger John McCain sort of resemble a young Marlon Brando?

April 16, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  37. Esther Salinas

I'm a Demacrat but i do respect this man as an American Heroe. I love my country and wish i was healthy to fight with my brothers and sisters of all ethnicity because we are all Americans. Eventhough, I'm against the war, i would fight for the sake of our people needlessly dying.

April 16, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar

I hope I need one dvd to buy "Planet in Peril"
    Here we go! John McCain is here now.

April 16, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  39. xtina, chicago IL

as a typical white person who clings to her religion, I have nevr felt such a divisive force as I have with Obama. He has insulted Americans by dismissing our American flag; dividing out a member of HIS OWN FAMILY as a typical white person and now dividing out rural Pennsylvanians by judging them as clinging and too religious. He's a divider not a uniter

April 16, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  40. Sahira

Katherine – I agree with you again!

April 16, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  41. Christina, Windber, PA

Katherine, I agree with you!

April 16, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  42. David in Boston

Anderson,

Will you please tell your audience if any FDLS members go to college.

If so, do any marry outside the group?

April 16, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  43. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

Hello everyone,
    I must say that HRC came up on top of Sen. Obama. Yet I also believe that it will only be marginal her performance.
    At least she a)called for party unity by uniting with the winner and b)admitted that she was wrong in her Bosnia flap. That speaks good to her.
    As for Sen. Obama, I could not connect with his combative style that only tried to deflect from the issues that were being asked

April 16, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  44. Michael, NC

Finally, we get the full story that Erica has put together!

Erica-I love your stuff, I think you are a great reporter and I have been waiting for this segment for weeks since you first mentioned it! 🙂

April 16, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  45. RC Lendz Philadelphia, PA

Obama clearly lost tonight. He is always so defensive and seems like he can't stand debates. Well wake up Obama, you will get creamed in the fall debates. I can't wait to see him fail.

Silly season? It's politics. Answer the questions and move on. If you did not want to answer "silly" questions Barack, do not run for President.

Where have you been hiding for the last 30+ years of your political life? Every question is important to some of the voters.

Wake up Barack, his supporters, and the Obamedia.

April 16, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  46. Zing-Zing, Canada

And here's the McCain piece. Thanks Anderson.

April 16, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  47. Rebecca

It'll be nice to see/hear McCain... I'll stay tuned

April 16, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  48. kathy in ohio

christine
    I agree will you i have never been polled on any of these questions either............I LOVE HILLARY i guess we all have to wait until next tuesda y

April 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  49. Katherine

Erica – you are the best! I am so glad you are getting more air time now! Everytime you come on you make me smile:)

Thanks for making Anderson smile as well - he is so cute when he smiles!

April 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  50. Campbell

I noticed Hillary wasn't wearing a lapel pin – no one asked her about that.

April 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm |