April 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/16/08

Tonight, the last Democratic match-up before the Pennsylvania primary.  Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama debated in Philadelphia and by the second question Obama had to explain, yet again, just what he meant when he told campaign donors at a San Francisco-area event 10 days ago that small-town Pennsylvania residents are "bitter" over their economic circumstances and "cling" to their guns and religion.  Who won?  Who lost? And what impact will it have on the primary next week?  The best political team in television will dissect the debate for you.

And we’re continuing our series on the top contenders for the White House with Sen. John McCain.  It’s an in-depth look at the presumptive Republican Nominee including what drove him to attempt suicide.

Plus, tomorrow there’s an unprecedented custody hearing in Texas.  What will happen to the 416 children removed from the polygamous compound?  Anderson’s going to talk to a spokesman from  FLDS and a former member.

We’ll be blogging for two hours tonight.  We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stopping at 12a ET

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Esther Salinas

Obama lied on the Selma story and the Million man March and no one is calling him out on this. Suspicious.

April 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  2. Kathy, Chicago

I'm so glad that CNN has continued with Planet In Peril. I thought it was a great series.

April 16, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  3. Sahira

Thanks Erica! We miss your bobble-head moves.

April 16, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  4. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I'll stick around for you Erica. Even if i wanted to leave I can't, I stick around to the end

April 16, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  5. Johna

How sad that in the world of plenty people must resort to violence for food...

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  6. Brandon

Mrs. Clinton is the true proven Leader, and after seeing her in action tonight , Hillary will have our vote, Obama was just a Sour Face nobody. Its clear after tonight Obama needs to drop out!

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Me too! Megan O.
    I love Planet in Peril best show!

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  8. Patty

missing lapel pins and nonexistent sniper fire...someday we'll look back on this and laugh...

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

So far I must say, I don't think ABC is doing a bad job at all. Tough questions. I don't think Charlie Gibson needs to apologize one bit.

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  10. xtina, chicago IL

if we know the FLDS communities are producing something in trade for contracts then why are people questioning where their money comes from?

April 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  11. Mike from Syracuse NY

Obama keeps wanting to put Wright, bittergate, his association with terrorists, etc. behind him and get to the issues. His refusal to come clean IS an issue. He talks about his superior judgemnent. These things clearly put his judgement into question. Too bad so many Americans are falling for the act. I don't want him answering the phone at 3 in the afternoon, let alone 3 AM.

April 16, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  12. keena

What really sad about this particular polygamist sect is that whether they get their children back or not, I guarantee the "husbands" and remaining "wives" are going to replenish their sect with more children. What's worst I seriously doubt that the government will return and raid the compound again taking any and all new children. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they had already commenced.

April 16, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  13. ericacnn

OK, my friends... I'll try to resurrect the bobble-head moves for tomorrow's Beat 360.

McCain pieces are just ahead - dont leave yet!

April 16, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  14. Angela, Virginia

Jray: Do you watch regularly? I do not see the show as pro Clinton–at all. IN fact I have seen accusations from both sides saying the same thing about CNN and this show in particular...but that can't be now can it? I love this show because they DO cover it 360 degrees. ALL points of view. It is the best way to get unbiased information.

April 16, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  15. Esther Salinas

Remember that Jeremiah wright went with Farakhan to meet Kadafy in Lybia. eventhough, i was just a kid in the 80's, I still remember injured Marines being rushed out in stretchers. I find this offensive and that's why i don't trust Obama and his associates. Many died in this incident during the Reagan administration.

April 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  16. xtina, chicago IL

anyone moderating that debate would have led off with the "clinging to guns" and rev Wright issues just to get them out of the way! Both of those issues define Obama's character and are fair game

April 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  17. Kathy

RC Lendz Philadelphia, PA

Tonight she finally said (after dancing around the issue for a couple of minutes) that yes Obama was electable.

When they asked Obama if she was he said – absolutely.

April 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  18. Elke, SW Florida

Anderson,

Higher grocery bills? I wonder what that is all about; like my grocery bill isn't already high enough!

April 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  19. Rebecca Peele Russo

Please fix your rotating world, it is rotating in the wrong direction. lol

April 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  20. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,

Hi! I'm glad to see you are blogging for two hours tonight. I've enjoyed CNN's coverage of Pope Benedict's US visit this late afternoon and evening. I missed the Clinton/Obama debate–it's great to see your highlights and in-depth discussion.

April 16, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  21. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Just when I need a jolt I hear Planet in Peril.....awesome

April 16, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  22. Martha R. Thomas

Like millions of others, I watched the Democratic debate tonight, very much enjoying it, thinking it well moderated, thinking both candidates clearly expressed themselves. In short, I enjoyed the debate. Immediately upon it ending, I switched to CNN and your program, Mr Cooper. I was angered by your negative attitude towards Clinton. You and your guest so often seem to be unfairly negative towards her. And David Gergen – Ha! He is so opinated.. I'm thinking of deserting CNN simply because of your unfair reporting.

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar

You're kindly welcome, Yen........

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  24. Anand Shetty

Anderson, I am a regular viewer of your nightly program and it is a great progam. I have two comments on today's program. Some of your so called best political team do not come to be impartial in their analysis of the situations pertaining to Clinton-Obama campaign and the debtate. Are they supposed to be impartial? Do you choose the team according to their bias? Burried deep inside their analysis and comments is a consistent expression of their bias against Clinton, though they do not make it look obvious.

I have watched the debates and campaign for a long time. I find Obama immature and lacking judgement. He does not have the knowledge and the gravity needed to lead this country. I don't think he is electible at this stage. He may have to wait for a few more years.

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  25. Stacy

Nancy, say what you want about the candidates, but David Gergen is one of the most thoughtful analysts out there. In a cable news world of yelling partisanship, I'm consistently delighted by his rationality. Out of touch he is not.

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  26. xtina, chicago IL

Half the people think cnn is biased towards Hillary. And half think cnn is biased towards Obama.

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  27. Kathy, Chicago

No new taxes. Hm Isn't it only about 3% of the country that makes more that 250,000 per year. Are they expected to fund the country?

April 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  28. Sahira

Katherine, I completely agree with you. I don't think Anderson (CNN) takes any particular candidate's side.

April 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  29. Shawn North Carolina

John (Bomb Bomb Iran) McCain doesn't even wear a Flag on his lapel do you see anybody asking him why he doesn't?

April 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  30. Marcia

xtina to answer your question millions $ from the US govt. is still going to FLDS businesses by way o f manufacturing contracts.

April 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  31. CaseyJPS - California

Why is it we can't call politicians liars? Apparently, that's where the media draws the line. I just believe we should say what we mean and mean what we say. Is the act of stating that someone is a liar too brutal? Does the medai avoid it because they're afraid of losing viewers? I know there are those 'unspoken rules' of etiquette, but we are dealing with facts, right? This is the news, right?

April 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  32. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I'm having deja vu. When is Erica's piece coming on cause I am falling alseep and missing Stewart/Colbert

April 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  33. Melinda

Xtina- I think people are saying that because they spent the first 45- 1 hour talking about all these non issues, like the 'bitter' comment and the comments about Rev. Wright. They have been talked about ad nauseum and it is a distraction from talking about the real issues that this country is dealing with... economy, health care, Iraq etc.

April 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  34. kathleen

I loved Obama's comment on the stay home and bake cookies Hillary how does it fell to have your message construed

April 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  35. Lesli

Maybe Clinton and Obama should promise to lower spending so they don't need to raise the taxes on the middle class.

April 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  36. xtina, chicago IL

Hillary admitted she said wrong comment on Bosnia sniper "attack", shes only human

April 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  37. kathy in ohio

Daniel in Loganville, GA

THAT is a copy paste from obamas campaign tonight after the debate
    hummmmmmmmmmmm

April 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  38. Gary in Kent, Ohio

Well, great comments tonight...I've learned politicians are not honest....I'm shocked........men rule the world.....and it's getting better everyday.........young children in secret societies have "relations" with men who could be their grandparents....I'm feeling ill..........Erica does not dance to the 360 beat music....young men everywhere are crying.....and to top it off elephants in the wild do not play basketball....King james is safe.........

good night all

April 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  39. Sahira

Hey Anderson, did you forget us?

April 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  40. Pat

How does pulling troops out of Iraq in 60 days and having Iraq potentially go into a civil war make America safer???

April 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  41. Yen

Thanks, Megan. They pushed it to the 2nd hour.

April 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  42. JRay

Anderson I live in PA and trust me this Bitter comment does not have legs. I beleive the words could have been better but the fact is its true. I'm tired of the rich get richer and I need someone looking out for me. The question I have is why is CNN looking pro Clinton? You always have Clinton supporter on but no Obama supporter. Why is that? Can you answer that?

April 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  43. Christine

I have never been part of poll nor has anyone I know. Who is half the country? I live in this country and I didn't get asked if I trust Hillary or like Hillary. To both questions I do. Maybe someone should just stop talking about polls. I think they are just made up by a select few.

April 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Megan O..... See...... just join this blog live........

April 16, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  45. Mike - WA

I was surprised to hear Clinton admit that she lied about Bosnia. Probably the most honesty I have seen from a Clinton since this campaign started.

April 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  46. Kirby

Anderson,
    Regarding the FLDS case in the American west –
    I suggest you interview Jon Krakauer who is author of Under the Banner of Heaven, an outstanding book with well-researched insights into the past and current aspects of the FLDS. He refers to the movement as the “American Taliban”, and offers a fascinating exploration of this faith, in which any individual may become the channel for god’s message and actions.
    (He is also the author of Into the Wild, the book on which Sean Penn’s recent film was based.)
    Kirby, California

April 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Alvin: I think it is his way of putting the questioners in their place.

April 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  48. Nancy

Face it . . . Senator Clinton crushed Senator Obama tonight. Her answers were more thorough and more relevant to middle class Americans. It seems to me the one who is out of touch is David Gergen. It doesn't matter what Senator Clinton says, he's against it. So much for objective journalism! And, about Bosnia . . . it's a "fish story." So she embellished . . . get over it!

April 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  49. Katherine

This debate tonight reinforces to me why every single night I turn on CNN and Anderson and Erica!

I am disgusted by the way the debate was handled by ABC.

No human is perfect, but Anderson ( CNN ) clearly trys very hard to provide an unbiased report of the facts. Thank you, Thank you.

April 16, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  50. xtina, chicago IL

why do people keep saying debate didn't cover issues? What didn't they touch on ?

April 16, 2008 at 11:15 pm |