April 15th, 2008

The elitism flap: bitter fruit?

Eric Bloom
AC360° Producer

It remains unclear how damaging Barack Obama’s "bitter" comments will be, but it has once again revealed one of the Democrats’s biggest vulnerabilities- cultural issues.

It also reminds us that no matter how chaotic Iraq is or how depressed the economy might be, come November Democrats still must win over rural voters in order to win.

ALT TEXT

Democrats are well aware that issues like abortion, religion, guns and gay rights hurt them in some key swing areas, and the controversy over Obama’s  comments could make the task of winning them even more difficult.

What do you think of Obama’s comments  - do they reinforce the perception that the Democratic Party is out of touch?

What has been the key for Republicans in winning over rural voters?   We'd like to know your thoughts.

Filed under: Raw Politics
  1. Cynthia

After seeing your peice of Senator Obama tonight – it reaffirmed what I already knew this man is not an elitist. What he said was definitely not said in the correct manner but I do believe it to be true. I have people both black and white and they feel that what he said is true. In my opinion, the only one out of touch is Senator Clinton if she uses the type of tactics that she is using to get votes. Most of the people of Penn and elsewhere aren't as gulliable as she thinks they are.

April 15, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  2. Judy

Obama doesn't need to apologize for any so-called bitter comments because they were not "bitter." Billary, once again, made them seem
    bitter because she's acting out of fear, fear of losing and hopefully if she/they keep this up she just might.
    How dare she refer to Obama as an elitist, when Billary earned one hundred and nine million dollars in just six years. Obama has been the perfect gentleman in not calling them out on this.

April 15, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  3. Kathy - Tennessee

I think Obama's remarks were made to individuals he sees as peers. I don't think he can relate to mainstream America – those of us who are working hard, love this country and embrace our way of life. He seems scripted most of the time. Little glimpses of who he really is are creeping in.

April 15, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  4. mitchell martin

i'm sorry people are so upset about obama's comments.but,i wonder if they're just looking for anything,to stop his momentum.there is truth,in what he said,but,some folks don't like the truth,apparently.we are going to have a lot of bitter truths come out in the next several years,as we try to repair the extensive damage done to this nation,in the last several years.

April 15, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  5. JR Atlanta

The Compassion Forum was great.
    However, you made sure Senator Obama gave an explanation about the statement he made concerning people that are devastated with hard times. Yes, they are BITTER in the real world.
    This was the ideal atmosphere and opportunity to have Senator Clinton address her religious beliefs on making false statements. The issue on Bosnia, the lady that was refused treatement. She will not admit it but also the use of the money Bill Clinton recevied forn Columbian Trade.
    Hillary, Bill you have disgraced yourself. I will not feel confortable with you in the White House.
    Please stop!

April 15, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  6. Laddie

If we assume for a moment that Obama is elite, so what? If these same voters who are offended thought that George Bush was not elite and one of them, how has he worked out for them. Elite or not, all the voters should care about is who can get the country back on the right track. How many Presidents have we had who were poor or middle class, or did not go to an elite school!

April 15, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  7. william

i don't think you get his remarks–he has explained them to the philadelphia daily news–the idea is that because the economy in small towns have been depressed for 25 years people feel like nothing is going to change and the vote on wedge issues and value issues–like guns abortion ,immigration gay marriage etc this is not something new to politics obama has spoken about this on charlie rose–bill clinton spoke about wedge issues in 92–so shame on you cnn–you know the this is what obama is speaking about why are you acting like you never heard these ideas?

April 15, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  8. fcrooster

You play loose, you play lose!

The Clintons are losers, and they can’t stand it. Whatever made them think the People would allow them to continue their travesty? Their self-destructive behaviors have finally caught up with them. They have been blind for far too long. They have no shame; therefore, no one to blame but themselves for their implosion. It’s payback time! ‘What goes around, comes around.” As a white, Boomer, parent, grandparent, and retired teacher of English and American history, I respect where Reverend Wright is coming from because I’ve despised the white supremacy chapter. We cannot turn the page to a new chapter because it still exists 40 years after Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King’s death. I believe the Clintons have done the Republicans’ dirty work and have also furthered the white supremacist message in the process. If millions of voters are ready to turn the page, we cannot have the Clintons dragging us down. “Pride goeth before a fall!” And we bid adieu to the liars, revisionists, phonies, and losers. After this election, the Clintons, no doubt, will recover yet again, ready to suck up the next time too.

April 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Rob, Arvada, CO

Would Pennsylvania like it better if he had called rural Pennsylvania, Sticksville, U.S.A.? Or back of Burke? A group of people not individuals was referred to in a casual comment. One can not have an argument using myriad individual cases of individuals. Sorry, you are a group, and may be referred to any way one sees fit for the sake of an argument. If rural Pennsylvania is offended over the truth, then I am offended by them, for their childish attitudes about this whole thing. As I saw on CNN the other night, the rural counties of Pennsylvania ALWAYS vote republican, so it doesn't even matter, to try to get votes from these folks. The greater prize is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and Barack will win these areas handily. The cities are where it's at, so you red counties can keep your John McCain.

April 15, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Shawn Toledo

Wow Barack Oboring. He doesn't say alot and he's got nice white guys an d women talking for him. Soon we'll see the Martin Luther King impression speach. He is such a failed candidate. Democrats should watch out. It's going down hill. Both candidates are failing but he is truly being an elitist. Go for it Pennsylvania! Give'em hell!

April 15, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Leevaughn Brown

Man, there are a lot of Americans out there that make me ashame to be an American. They are so out of touch that when someone speaks the truth, they can't see it. I guess it is better to go to war or let Bill run around the White House with nothing to do?

I wish I lived with those who were offended by Obama's words. Last year I made 11,000.00 while going to college.

Duke energy ripped me off for 1,100.00 and Bell telephone got me for an extra 120.00. Gas went up and food has gone up. I fought for my money and got it back, but at the time when I was about to be evicted it did not help. I am living on the fringe trying to get a good education. Am I not supposed to be bitter? Oh thats right I'm supposed to be proud to be an American. America get over yourself this place is not the greatest place on earth. A good place, but not the greatest! and I am not leaving cause I don't like it. I will stack my heritage up against any of you so-called proud Americans anyday. Those of you who aren't bitter are deluded, this place is going down the tubes because of people like you. We need change!

Cinti, Ohio

April 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Ava Los Angeles

i AGREE JIM, PA is being completely under estimated!

April 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Jim Watson

Obama says people cling to their religion or guns when they become frustrated or bitter. Clinton finds this comment elitist, but says she embraces her religion in difficult times. dictionary.com uses the word embrace in a definition of cling and merriam-webster.com's thesaurus states cling as an alternative to the word embrace. So both candidates are in agreement. The media is a profession of words...shouldn't they have pointed out this similarity? A positive note to this argument: our vocabulary is being built and we now have a new word to add to our list of overused cliched terms. "Elistist" now joins the ranks of "the bottom line" as an overused, meaningless term. As a Pennsylvanian, I'm offended by those who say they are offended. Pennsylvanians have much tougher skin than being represented on the news.

April 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Ki

Unnecessary comments made by the Senator, unnecessary remarks made by Clinton!!

April 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  15. dana

I am over this petty bickering! I am from Flint, Michigan. I am sure everyone has heard of my city. We became known for Michael Moores movies, one which is Roger and Me, a documentary about General Motors, and the rise and fall of our great city. I am college educated and work at a trauma hospital. My husband on the other hand was downsized from a job he had and went back to college while working as a temporary worker at GM for 3 years. He finished his degree, graduated with honors, has great experience, willing to relocate and was offered a job at a mortgage company(which is kind of ironic they are hiring) for $10.00 an hour, and you had to have a degree to get this postion! Are you kidding me? Am I bitter like Senator Obama said? You bet! I see people come into our emergency room without health insurance, and so sick because they waited so long due to the expense to see a doctor- Again bitter! I guess my question is to Mr. Bush, If the answer all along was "get an education" as he stated, why can't educated citizens find work? Great plan! I am sure if you ask the people in the rust belt, lunch pail, blue collar, (whatever people want to call it) manufacturing areas in this country if they are bitter, they will say Yes, but on the other hand, these are strong people who will stand on their two feet. Only thing it takes is a day in a manufacturing job that tests your will. Unless you have done it, you would not understand. (Yes, I have done it in a GM plant , and cried the first week in the restroom on breaks.) I pray for all manufacturing workers that they will not see their job shipped to Mexico and China, and it breaks my heart when I see another plant or mill has closed. At the end of the day your products that you buy are not getting cheaper built in Mexico and China. The workers are payed nothing for a days work, and CEO's are raking in more money because of greed! Like an old saying from my proud city, Buy American or apply for Japanese welfare! (Or should I say Chinese or Mexican welfare!)

April 15, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Ava Los Angeles

I'm so bitter about this story. I'm disgusted by the ads Clinton has been running twisting Obama's words. The truth hurts sometimes! Obama is in touch!! Yes we're pissed, fed up, and tired of all the crap!
    When things get bad, yes, most of us turned to faith, I've taken up arms, for the fact I feel my government is unable to protect me, and it's my god given right! I can only depend on my self, this country has gone to hell in a hand basket. Barack gets it and wants to change it with all of us, I'm on Obama's team. So is everyone of my family memebers in PA. I hope this back fires on her, as It seems it will judging by the boo's she got when she recently brought this topic up. It's not a topic. SHE SHOULD STICK to the issues about what her vision is for this country. DO AS YOU SAY HILLARY! Not a shocker, her lead slipps and so does her memory.
    Very disappointed in the way she has run her campaign.

April 15, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  17. Elle

It is a bitter fruit to swallow the fruit of Obamas words.
    The part about clinging on to religion and guns places so many in this bubble without regard of individual action and feelings.
    In addition preceeding those words Obama also equalized the Bush administration with the Clintons.
    As a democrat he disowned his own party when he said this .
    Truly an undemocratic thing to do on both parts .

April 15, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  18. James,Elk Grove, CA

America needs to wake up. How can people possibly be offendend by this? Are we not bitter about our current government? Of course we are, I don't think Obama could have worded his statment better. He is just speaking the truth witch is something that we can count on from him.

Think about it, telling the truth about Americans is a lot better than telling lies about other countries. I mean hey im only 18, and im no genius but im pretty sure that if you tell people that a nation, who had a welcome ceremony for you, welcomed you with sniper fire, that nation would not be happy to hear that.

April 15, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  19. Senthil kumar

Anderson/Campbell/Jamal/Rolan/All obama supporters, this is a question for you all as I do think that you are the strong supporters for OBAMA

I read in a CNN Ticker blog that OBAMA has spoken the following:

""It is true I am amused about this notion of elitist," Obama said, citing the fact that he was raised by a single mother, lived off food stamps, earned scholarships, and had to finance his own law school education. "[Michelle and I] lived for the first 13 years of marriage up until three years ago, in a three bedroom condo without a garage,"

Let me post a question here. Though he struggled in his life, he didn't turn to cling guns. How can he think about the small town people in America? Doesn't this look like a controversy comments, compared to his own life.

April 15, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  20. Demetre

I'm bitter and angry and want change...Obama in 08.

April 15, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  21. Kathy, Chicago

I think this helps to show that Obama is a politician like all of the rest. He will play to any audience, telling them what they want to hear. I just don't think that he is the one who can deliver on any of his promises. Just curious, but who paid for his Harvard education, if he claims to be so poor? The tax payers?

April 15, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  22. Annie Kate

I think all the candidates are out of touch – when is the last time they had to worry about getting laid off from their job, how to make the mortgage payment this month, how to make the little bit of money left over cover groceries for your family for a month, if your child will be safe at public school that day, if you will be able to send that child to college, and if you are going to have to work until they carry you out toes up.

The word bitter did not annoy me as much as Obama's lumping us all into a stereotype that at the least conveys disdain for our daily worries in our lives.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

April 15, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  23. Renee

I'm bitter and angry at Mrs. Clinton, and cling to the hope that Senator Obama will become the next American president.

April 15, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  24. Ida

Obama's comments show that he and a lot of other people in his party and in the country are in touch. Hillary is the one who is out of touch with the people and with reality.

April 15, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  25. J.R. USA via Canada

The only out of touch are those Americans who can't sit up and realize the truth! The division of one state against another, cities against rural areas, this is what people like the Clintons and other in the Political arena siphon for their own benefit.
    Now comes Senator Obama who puts the our dirty laundry out in the open and well all hell breaks loose. For some people this is refreshing and uplifting.
    If we really think we are a Free and Democratic Country, then why are we even talking about such issues if not to clean house?
    Being raised in Penna., both the City and Rural scenario, division is apparent but the same ideas are there, Family, Employment, Success and being able to live the American Dream.
    But, when some in the Political & Personal benefit want to divide us even more, we must wake up and realize we are all Americans no matter Race or Faith, and take more interest in the real ISSUES surrounding all of us no matter what State or City/ Rural Areas we live.
    Correcting and Updating Laws that have been made over 200 years ago, must reflect the current time frame. This , in any wsy, will eliminate or rebuke the rights of those who obey the laws just Amend them to correct the illegal use of our laws.
    One will only understand those Amendments when it hits home. But, at what cost? Therefore, change of venue and a new direction for our country is at our feet – lets not lose it.

April 15, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  26. Cheri

From the Microsoft Word thesaurus:
    “Bitter” means resentful, cheated, angry, cynical, indignant. And I guess that pretty much sums up how most of us feel about the economy, the war, the housing crisis, and our current leadership; otherwise we wouldn’t be so desperate to elect a new president right now, would we? So, please, humor me, and tell me again why Clinton and McCain say it’s un-American for me to feel ‘bitter’ when I’m working two full time jobs and still can’t keep the fridge full or help my kids out as much as I’d like to with college. Grow up, people. Obama was absolutely right, but you’re obviously in denial.

April 15, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  27. McGee, The OC

Dear "Ace" . . . please stick to trying to influence your own electorate (Canadian) and not ours. We'll gladly reciprocate and do likewise.

April 15, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  28. Laura

I would like to comment on the 'cleaning up' of the blogs...it's noticable and much appreciated. This thread might previously have been filled with 'trash talk' and I, for one, am quite pleased to see the blogs here being cleaned up and left for the intelligent exchange of ideas. While there are probably many that are being censored, hopefully they too will clean up their game and join in an intelligent discussion. It is sooooo nice to find this in the very ugly (nowadays) blogosphere. Thank you!

April 15, 2008 at 8:50 pm |
  29. McGee, The OC

Whoa ! Who'd-a-thunk it . . . The Dems are headed for a train-wreck of a convention and foolishly passing over the Presidency to the Republicans. How so ? Plain and simple . . . pride & greed.

Early last year it became evident that the Office of the President was readily available to whomever the Dems chose to nominate; this due to the wholly lacking leadership of one Mr George W Bush, his ear long ago having left the track, only to be replaced by his neck. A shoe-in win for the Democratic candidate loomed monsterously.

Yet the Dems have chosen to fight none other than themselves. This is not the good fight. Two mighty candidates have risen up and neither has the wisdom to lay back down . . . for the better of the party.

They each are intent on seeing this battle ( war ? ) out to the absolute end. And it is their very own skirmishes that will provide the cannon fodder for their opponent.

The prideful Barak is still quite young and well can afford to wait for his prime time come four to eight years hence. He would be a wiser and much stronger candidate then. Yet he and his people will accept none of that kind of talk anymore.

The greedy Hillery ( and William ) are hell-bent on re-aquiring the power they so much long for and miss. For her to now win the nomination would spell assured disaster for the Dems in November.

This is a for-real catch-22 for the Democratic Party . . . that no matter what the outcome of the convention voting, their ship of state is fading, fading, fading into the sunset . . . again.

April 15, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  30. Charlaine McAnany

I think obama's words about the middle class' being bitter about how they find their life right now is totally correct. We have lost jobs, particularly union jobs, food is going up and housing costs have forced two paychecks whether or not both parents want to work and let kids raise themselves. I want Obama to win.
    As to how to win rural votes, I think the rural people have to think and, if they can think, they will realize their lives are not much better than the working middle class. Therefore they should blame the Republicans who have been in power for the last 8 years.

April 15, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  31. Herb

It is very obvious that Sen. Obama and his wife are out of touch with the American people. A pleasant appearing man with an extreme left agenda? Maybe he will be forced to answer some serious questions, instead of " What is it like to be Barrack Obama?"

I think that a large number of citizens are very concerned (scared) of this candidate. Statements made by both himself and his wife over the years, close friends with extreme anti-American ideology and a desire to redistribute wealth in this country. Is he a Democrat or a Socialist? Lets end the love fest with the national press and find out what this man really has in mind for our country.

April 15, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  32. Chris Silagyi

We know urban voters tend to be more liberal and rural voters tend to be more conservative.

It is perfectly acceptable for candidates to pander to specific regions, class, race and ethnic groups but they can't analyze or talk about them truthfully. An honest discussion is branded elite.

If a candidate cannot see that working class votes are based on nationalism, religion and gun ownership instead of economics, they are out of touch. Republicans have been cynically exploiting this fact for the past 30 years.

April 15, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  33. Edddy Eruanga

Corection to my article:
    Jesse and not jesse.
    too and not to.

April 15, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  34. Jo Ann

Eric,

No one has the right to critique the way the working class people should feel about Obama’s derogatory “bitter” comments. The senator had no place criticizing these people in front of those who have no understanding of the way the struggling working class live. The fact that he committed this faux pas without even taking into consideration that it was offensive says more than the words themselves.

If he is out of touch it is by choice or ignorance, or maybe a little of both.

Not only were his words offensive, but they also came off as callous. I wish someone in the media would ask Obama if he thinks that the Blacks are bitter when they cling to the spectre of racism as well as their church to vent their frustrations about their situations. I have a feeling that he would have chosen his words more carefully.

Strangely enough Obama is guilty of clinging to his religion by his refusal to disavow his relationship with Reverend Wright and the church that supports him.

I know his supporters will say that he didn’t mean it that way, but Obama is beginning to develop a pattern of constantly having to explain what he “really” means. I doubt that most working class people need any lessons in understanding the English language.

This is a man who told the voters to judge him by his words. Maybe it is about time they took him up on it.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

April 15, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  35. D

We've spent the past 7 years wishing we had a democrat with a spine that could not only stand up to the GOP but who could connect and win the big states and convey that we respect the red states values. Now here we are again.....we send up a young senator against a war vet with a political history!!! In November we'll be scratching our heads asking where did we go wrong and we can point to this week + Rev Wright. When the whole time we had a proven well educated servant to our country but she was a woman and the media didn't like her so we push the "inspirer" ro replace the "decider". But hey notice Obama is part comdian to so he's somewhat like Bush in that respect at least we'll still have the comedy in the speeches and responses..until the GOP is sworn in AGAIN!!

April 15, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  36. Harriet

I'm bitter about the way the media is reporting this election.

April 15, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  37. Harriet

Anderson why is media so ANTI-OBAMA?

April 15, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  38. Rob Canada

No Anderson I happen to believe that Senator Obamas comments were bang on and his only sin here is trying to describe it with too broad a brush. It ends up his extremelly intelligent discourse regarding facts on the ground in America were taken completely out of context as his opponents (including the media) look for anything and everything to sink their teeth into. Everyone has now had a chance to get to know Mr. Obama (if they choose to) and anyone that does is confident that his words were not critisism but fact. It would not be in his character to even suggest what his opponents would charge he was saying. The HRC campaign will attack anything to keep their gaffes out of the headlines.

April 15, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  39. Roger

Sorry people but Obama is wrong and I do not like all these talking heads and media hounds spinning Obama's words as not being offensive but instead we are to take as right and true. I also am really tired of them telling me how I feel! Who I am is one of the "THEY" Obama was sharing to his "WE" buddies about. What they all have wrong is that I am not bitter towards my country or my government for that matter any other race of people or any other country or any other neighbors! Not city folk, Not Hispanic folk, Not black folk! They are all welcome to my small town and my church where you will get and invite for dinner! We do have people in hard times around here and other who are not and we help each other through such times. We do want more jobs but not anymore or less then any other part of this country. We count ourselves so very lucky to be able to live in a small town with a solid sense of community and core values of hard work, where sharing, caring and God loving abound! Where we have the freedom to work and play. Where we can hunt and fish and live as we please. We are not bitter we are BLESSED!

April 15, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  40. jes

I think that you have to parse Obama's comments.

The first portion, that dealt with bitterness aspect was correct in that many jobs have been shipped overseas and illegals aliens have taken many of the traditional jobs left at a lower wage. I think that some people are bitter and rightly so.

Where Obama made his mistake was continuing on to make a cultural judgement about the voters. He essentially said that they were small-town gun-toting bible-thumping insular bigots.

I believe that those were insulting comments. If I were a PA voter, I would not vote for this man.

I think it will be very interesting to see the election results next Tuesday.

April 15, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  41. Joan Littell

I feel very strongly that the remarks made by Obama of being "bitter" hit right on the mark. I am one of the fortunate people living in Southern California and having a good job (with benefits) to go to every day. Even with these benefits I too feel "bitter" about this country and the way we are being treated as citizens. Obama gives such hope that I haven't seen since John F. Kennedy ran for President. I am especially tired of everyone trashing Obama for every little thing he says and taking everything out of context. Remarks made by Obama are only the truth. Obviously, people can't handle the truth. When are people going to wake up to changes that must be made or are we going find ourselves and our children buried forever in financial debt and mental denial.

April 15, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  42. Bavani

Did Obama make a mistake when he stated the obvious? I am not so sure. Iam not sure if people don't want to admit that they are frustrated and stressed out with everything. Iam angry with the mess we are living in. Iam frustrated, I have lost faith in the gverenment. So, I would say how ever e worded it he did touch a nerve. Lets not distort things to fit personal agenda's. The fact is America is on a fast trac to being a third world countries. By the way I live in a small town and I do turn to god when the going gets tough. Its just something people do to regain faith and find peace. I personally think Obama hit the nail on the head.

April 15, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  43. Colin Vurek

I find it ironic that McCain and Clinton are using words like "out of touch". Who do they think they are kidding. Obama's absolutely right and spoke the truth wether either one of them wants to admit it or not.

Their attack upon him is a slap in the face of America, indicating that they both think we're are stupid and will fall for their spin of what he said and what it means.

April 15, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  44. Brad

Regarding Barack Obama's "Elitism" statement..... Interpetation of someone's comments are motivated by by the end goal, for example Hillary and McCain will spin it for their own gain and the media will use it to sell TV time and newspapers. CNN's own Lou Dobbs fell into this trap when his comments were interpeted by the Mexicans as being racist for their own gain. I see Obama's statement as insightful and honest and going to the root cause of Americans agrivation to the governments misguided and uncontrollable policies.

April 15, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  45. Doreen Carey

I cannot understand what all the fuss is about the remarks regarding "bitter". It all seems so silly and irrelevant. If the Americans can't appreciate an intelligent, charismatic man like Obama, please send hinm up to Canada. We would dearly love to have him here!!

April 15, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  46. Michael

Hello,
    It is a shame how you all are upset about what Barack said about small town White America. But where is the angrier from the people about intercity Black America. I would guarantee that any candidate were to say that the Black American’s in the intercity were bitter and frustrated they would not get mad and upset about the truth. Their jobs were outsourced years ago. Intercity Blacks have the same problem as small town White Americans lose of jobs, the only different is we would agree with Barrack or any candidate and say yes we are bitter, upset, mad what every word you want to use. Some of us cling to religion and some cling to guns but not for the purpose of hunting but for robbery and murder. If you say you are fair then do not be outrage because one race of the countries is offended and leave the other half out who has been bitter for a long time and no one has not even talk about that group. Thank-you

April 15, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  47. Linda

Mr. Obama does not seem to like his fellow Americans all that much. I do think he is an "intellectual" elitist who thinks the average American is rather stupid and racist to boot. He appears to look down his nose at everyone and is hyper critical of anyone who does not agree with him. For a man with a resume as thin as a piece of plastic wrap where does he get the his pompous sense of entitlement from? We have had a few glimpses of who Mr. Obama really is and he seems to think that America is bitter and defeated and we are NOT. He is a politican , he is not Houdini, whoever becomes our next president will have his/her hands full. He is no better equipped to guide this country better than the other two candidates. He is however handicapped by the abundance of "blue sky" promises he has made which he cannot possibly deliver on. He also is hypersenstive to any type of criticism or questioning and seems to be unaware that criticizing the president is this countries national past time coming just before baseball. How is this prima donna who does not care much for his "stupid, racist" fellow Americans going to fare as president of the United States?

April 15, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  48. Tom Cape Cod

I don't know if it reinforces the perception of the party, but it sure shows that Barak is out of touch about alot of things. I'm sure it won't hurt the "golden child" though.

As for the key for winning over Republican voters I think it is a combination of

1. The petty infighting of the democratic canidates.
    2. The fact that they change their tune as quickly as the polls show negative results
    3. No one really to pick from.

April 15, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  49. Ace

I'm Canadian and have been following the elections closely. Seriously Americans, please vote for common sense which isn't that common. Show me a man who's been poor and had to go through the system to be a success, I'll show you the true American dream. Obama used poor word choices but the message is on the money. If people are not angry and frankly bitter with their government about the hardships in the general public, then the people are out of touch with reality. I hope for the sake of the great America, that people are outraged enough to push through the change they deserve through their elected officials.

April 15, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  50. Gary, Toronto, ON

I listened to Obama's comments and didn't see anything particularly offensive about them when viewed in the context of the question which prompted them. Democrats (including the Clintons) have been struggling a long time with the paradox of why these rural voters tend to go against what would generally be agreed to be their economic interests to vote on a variety of "values issues". Obama was simply discussing where the current understanding of that issue is for democrats.

Clinton knows this which makes her attacks all the more cynical.

April 15, 2008 at 7:22 pm |