April 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/14/08

Breaking news tonight, for the first time in 4 years the gates are open and CNN is inside the polygamist Yearning for Zion ranch. Some of the 139 women who voluntarily left during the raid are now returning. And they’re coming back without their children. We’ll hear from one mother who hasn’t seen her children since authorities removed 416 children, saying they were in imminent danger of abuse. But is it necessary to separate mothers from their children? Legally, how long can they be separated?

Gary Tuchman is covering this story from Colorado City in Arizona, where thousands of FLDS followers held a rare meeting to learn what has happened to family members in Texas.

And, “bitter-gate” continues. As the Pennsylvania primary draws closer, Sen. Clinton vies for the working class and rural vote by talking about guns, drinking beer, and calling her opponent elitist.

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features a behind the scene look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Phil of Guadalupe, Ca.

The problem with the three candidates is that none of them fit what the perfect profile of the ideal Democrat (FDR, JFK, or even Bill Clinton) or the ideal Republican (Ronald Reagan, or Calvin Coolidge).
    The fact is candidates grow into becoming Presidents. How good or not, that is to be determined by history.

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Great program tonight! Good night Anderson, Gary and all!

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  3. EJ - Ohio

Nice to have Anderson back!! Great show tonight.

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

no news and business bulletin???

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Jolene

I agree, can't always blame the parents.

Good show tonight. Nite everyone!

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Jarrett, San Angelo, TX

Erica is the next section just a recap of the first interview or is a new one?

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Ara

I am off to sleep! I am really drained now. One long day to be followed by another in less than 8 hours! See you all tomorrow! G'nite!

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Kim

Anderson, you always ask the questions that come to my mind at the exact moment I am thinking them 🙂

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

have good flight home, Anderson.

April 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, very interesting show tonight. Good night everyone

April 14, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Ara

I agree with Cal. The show today has been very emotionally draining. Its been one serious and disturbing story after the other.

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Renee

Sue, I would love to read the transcript where Campbell says she is a Republican. Do you have the day and show?

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

Did Anderson come under sniper fire in Colombia?

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Brent

Melinda, I guess poor Carolyn was yet another mindless female with no control over the situation she found herself in...huh? Having numerous children within the confines of a polygamous group does not qualify her in my mind as "sympathetic". It qualifies her as a willing accomplice. I have no doubt, given the rather "flimsy" grasp of reality that the female mind posses naturally...that she exaggerated and lied (in her book) in order to cover for her own inadequacies as a mother.

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Karoline, Los Angeles, CA

Yes, I agree. The show is depressing tonight. But I've noticed most all of the news is bad nowadays. Times are hard.

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  16. jeanine

Sorry, but the Catholic church is nothing like this polygamist camp!!
    I agree with the person who said we should be praying for these people-especially the kids! They all have been seriously brainwashed and abused! What a messed up world we live in that these people make it off our tax money and we allow it- What can be done??

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Minou, New York City

A glimpse into the mind of the criminally insane makes me sick to my stomach. I don't need to hear about that. It's too scary.

April 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Saera El Paso, TX

i can see the facination
    and the yearning for acceptance
    but not the killing
    i guess it's just not something i can comprehend

April 14, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  19. marissa in san francisco

i hear you Koroline and Marie – but havn't we clearly seen how much regard these men have for their families?

do you really want a president who won't drink a beer? i'm not looking for a whisky drunk but anyone who can't crack one at a BBQ or the beach clearly doesn't love freedom.

April 14, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Kim

Scary how matter of fact that guy is about his hit list.... does he know and accept that he needs help?

April 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Ara

This is scary. I am sure kids do think violence these days, and they are all exposed to various mediums right from an early age. But so much violence at such a young age? Its Scary and horrific. Why do we have so many such cases here?

April 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  22. EJ - Ohio

"Obama keeps talking about how he “identifies” with the working poor in America – give me a break….wonder where he went on his recent vacation??? How many folks do you know went to an ivy league school… I certainly applaud those who rise above their circumstances…..but to try and ride on the coattails of your grandparents simple living – just another prime example of his twisted political tactics…."

I went to a "very nice school" in the east that is up there in the rankings but did not come from a rich or upper middle class family. Perhaps that is why I can't afford to buy anything now. I identify with Obama because of this.

I just hope I can finally find a job one day! Most who go to those schools definitely don't come back to Ohio.

April 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  23. cal in Texas

Hey Erica,
    The show is kind of depressing tonight.

April 14, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  24. ericacnn

Steve, there are other differences between the two religions, but the question of polygamy is probably the one that comes up most often.

April 14, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Kim

I think Barack Obama's becoming a community organizer and leaving a high paying job to work for 10.000$ a year with the poor proves that he is more in tune with average Americans than 99.9% of the politicians in this country....

April 14, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  26. David Sims

Erica Hill,

The Utah Mormons did outlaw literal polygamy, in order to achieve statehood. But they still practice spiritual polygamy even today. The men are not supposed to consummate with their spiritual wives. But spiritual polygamy is still going on amongst all Mormons.

April 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Cowboy Jack,
    Campbell Brown went home after work, I saw her 2 hour ago in Election Center.

April 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  28. mick

i agree with obama on being bitter about the economy but i dont clinge to my gun LOL

April 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  29. ariston I miami beach, FL

It is sad. I don't know if I would have had the same tolerance. How far does your love go for someone that is irrational?

April 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Brian Persaud

Dawn T.-Pittsburgh> Well none of them are middle-class American either. Wealth has nothing to do with being an "elitist", its about attitude and the way you see yourself and those around you. You can have nothing, and still be an elitist.

April 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

thanks webcam operator 🙂

April 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Brandi down the bayou.

Agelique,

I agree, I dont recall ever seeing that look and AC's face either, I think he was probably quite appalled at what the lady was saying and her behavior. I know I was.

April 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Steve, NC

Erica, Thanks for the clarification on FLDS vs LDS. Wow - the interview tonight was RIVETING! As was the follow-up call with the sister wife. We had to rewind it and watch it again.

April 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Betty Ann

That poor family. I think genetics plaay a strong role in a child's behavior. There are GOOD parents who have kids who turn out bad.
    So sad for the parents. 😦

April 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Ara

Thats one brave mom! and I think they all ought to be like that – Kudos to you!

April 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Sue Polinick/Pennsylvania

Campbell Brown is Republican..isnt she Anderson....I could almost swear she said the other night on her show, that her hubby was interested in becoming McCains running mate.

April 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Carla Ontario Canada

Has anyone noticed that the webcam seems dark. Please turn up the lights a bit, thank you

April 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  38. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

where you hiding on the webcam Erica?!?!?

April 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  39. ariston I miami beach, FL

I find it hard to believe that a 6 yr old child wants to kill his parents? I don't get it maybe.
    What did she do to stop him?

April 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Saera El Paso, TX

he looks like such a sweet kid though!

April 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Dawn T.-Pittsburgh, PA

Whether or not you like him or disagree with him is irrelevant. Think about it! How can a bi-racial child raised by a single mother who just paid off his student loans (I'm still paying on mine) be elitist? C'mon people! Next topic!

April 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Brian Persaud

Honestly, McCain doesn't have a chance. I'm not worried. Whether my girl Hillary wins or Obama, I think I'll be happy come election day.

April 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Kim

How hard must it be to find out that your own son is planning a massacre and then be courageous enough to have him committed? But she did the right thing, no matter how hard it was.

April 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  44. mick

MARRISA YOU ARE RIGHT good comment!!

April 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Kath

Hi Erica/Anderson,

Would love it if you guyz could do a segment on the below:

BILL CLINTON AGREES WITH OBAMA ON “BITTER” COMMENTS:

“If [Republicans] could cut funding for Medicare, Medicaid, education, and the environment, middle-class Americans would see fewer benefits from their tax dollars, feel more resentful paying taxes, and become even more receptive to their appeals for tax cuts and their strategy of waging campaigns on divisive social and cultural issues like abortion, gay rights, and guns.”
    – Bill Clinton, in his 2004 memoirs, My Life, making the same argument as Sen. Barack Obama.

Have a good night!

April 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Saera El Paso, TX

it's been a year?
    really?
    it doesn't seem like it's been that long...

April 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  47. MartaK

Anderson is in Miami? WHat for? One of his Producers in FL is my neighbor! Maybe I'll look him up while he's here and tell him about my meeting with Michelle Obama last week when she came here!

April 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  48. ericacnn

Hi, Annie

The FLDS and the Mormon Church (LDS – no F) are separate entities. The LDS outlawed polygamy for its members in 1890.

April 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Karoline, Los Angeles, CA

Yes Marie-excellent point! Where were these brave, strong leader-men who are going to lead their families to heaven when the police came?

Oh, and did you also hear in the news how they support all these kids? They collect Welfare.

So after the child abuse hearings perhaps the Welfare fraud hearings will happen next?

April 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Rose,
    He was in Colubima last week his vacation, Right now he is in at University of Miami in Miami Florida.

April 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |