April 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/10/08

In tonight’s show, new pictures of the white temple at the Yearning for Zion ranch in Eldorado, Texas. In this temple adult men allegedly consummated their “spiritual marriages” to their teenage brides.

Also, the stunning revelation that local authorities in Texas had a confidential informant inside Warren Jeffs’ polygamous sect for four years. So why did it take so long for them to raid the ranch? David Mattingly will look into that.

And Dale Barlow, who reportedly was named by the alleged 16 year old victim, is living in Colorado City, Arizona even though there is an arrest warrant out for him in Texas. So why is he still at large tonight? Gary Tuchman is on that story.

Finally, the war in Iraq. It was started by one president and likely will be finished by another. Michael Ware has an extended interview with the commander on the ground, Gen. David Petraeus. We want your thoughts on this interview so we are extending the live blog. Tonight we’ll be posting comments starting at 10p ET and we’ll stop at 11:20p ET.

Be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features a behind the scene look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jolene

That's great news Erica! For what it's worth, I don't think that much time was spent on the breaking news, plus, we got a treat of a 2nd. hour of 360. The polygamy story has been incredibly interesting to me so no complaints from me tonight.

Great show tonight!

Night all.

April 10, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Erica, I just saw that you said the interview will be on CNN.com. I agree with others that I'd like to have seen the interview on ac360. Oh well.

April 10, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Nicole

Erica, thanks so much!

April 10, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  4. Mrs. Roberts

Erica, thank you for telling us the interview will be posted!

Thank you AC360 for the McCain story.

April 10, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

Erica: thanks for posting the interview. good idea.

April 10, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

Uh-Oh! 2 turkeys fight on the street when police arrived and caught on tape, police can't catch 2 turkeys....... oh boy!

April 10, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Saera El Paso, TX

thanks Erica!

April 10, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  8. Stacy

Erica, thank you for the info on the interview. Though it is rather disappointing that it's not airing on the show where it will be available to a wider audience.

April 10, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  9. Renee

Oh, no McCain hired Carly! She screwed up HP. I hope she doesn't mess up McCain's campaign.

April 10, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

I saw John McCain join as guest "The View" this morning.

April 10, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  11. Chuck in Alabama

Just how scientific are all these "numbers" you guys throw at us Erica?

April 10, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mrs. Roberts: Thank you! This subject should be of the utmost importance to each and every US citizen. It is not often that an interviewer comes along who is capable of challenging the people in authority on the level that Michael has done tonight with General Petraeus. He was able to get direct answers to some important questions.

@Sharon Hudgins: I agree. I could have done with less of this breaking news and more of the interview.

April 10, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  13. ericacnn

A few people were asking about seeing Michael's full interview with Gen Patraeus - stay tuned, we will be posting it at cnn.com/360.

April 10, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  14. Kathy, Chicago

Orin, I think deep down Iraq is about protecting the oil in the region and access to it.

April 10, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  15. Chuck in Alabama

Doesn't this "fly over" kinda border on invasion of privacy?

April 10, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  16. Genevieve M, TX

My dog just howled his "approval" of Warren Jeffs' singing- or was it in "disapproval"???

April 10, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  17. Jolene

I think I like the other Warren Jeffs song better....if that can even be possible. Yuk!!!

April 10, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  18. Orin

Reena I know the best long term interest of the US is to get out of Iraq. We are spending billions of dollars to fun this war while Iraq whose is suppose to be our friend has billions of their own money in reserve. And due to certain laws they cannot use that money to fund a fight in their country.
    They are probably laughing at us, "let's have a civil war in our country and get the Americans to pay for it, while we keep our money in reserve".

I say leave them to their own problems and get all our soldiers out.

April 10, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  19. Jay

instead of focusing and harassing illegal immigrants, homosexuals and other minority groups, why are these polygamist sects allowed to operate, build, grow and break all kinds of laws? why aren't laws created to banish them and make them illegal? "creepy voice of warren jeffs..." go campbell!

April 10, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  20. Chuck in Alabama

PLEASE!! Stop playing Warren Jeffs singing! You're giving me nightmares!!!

April 10, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  21. Saera El Paso, TX

I agree with Alexander, your coverage is excellent! (as always)

April 10, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  22. jodi54

Michael Ware is the best reporter on CNN and covering the most important story of this decade. Thank you for airing his reports, but it was aired sort of non sequitur. So much time devoted to the murderous marine ... then suddenly Ware and the Petraeus interview.

The Iraq War is a profound and far-reaching story. It touches everything in the news today. I mistakenly thought CNN had turned tabloid until Ware came on. The Marine and the FLDS stories are newsworthy, for sure.... but they can't begin to compare in importance to Iraq.

Jodi
    Los Angeles

April 10, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar

Very funny! I love beat 360!!!!!! very funny Kathleen........

April 10, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  24. Saera El Paso, TX

I'd like to see the entire Michael Ware interview as well...

April 10, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  25. Kathy, Chicago

It's ok Campbell, maybe you'll get OT tonight!

April 10, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  26. Alexander

Erica, I think that the coverage of FLDS on here is very good here. It provides us with a good perspecve of what's going on. 😛

April 10, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  27. Stacy

Perhaps Nicole is referring to seeing the ENTIRE Michael Ware interview and not just the short segment we saw. I would also like to see the whole thing. Is it online?

April 10, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  28. Nicole

Erica, I loved the 5-minute teaser! Where can I view the full interview?

April 10, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  29. Jolene

Thanks Erica! I didn't mention it before but I agree with Jo Ann, it was refreshing to actually see Michael asking the questions instead of answering them for a change.

April 10, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  30. Kathy, Chicago

Orin, I think you are right.

April 10, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  31. Mrs. Roberts

Well put Jo Ann.

April 10, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Good night Brian P
    See you tomorrow........

April 10, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

Gotta love Gary! He gets the door slammed in his face so often, but he keeps on knocking. Go Gary!

April 10, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  34. Sharon Hudgins

All day today, CNN has aired clips of Michael Ware's interview with General David Petraeus–saying that the entire interview would be aired at 10 p.m. EDT tonight. Instead, I've sat through 1 hour and 15 min of "breaking news" about an alleged murderer arrested in Mexico and the ongoing story (without much new information) about the polygamy raid in Texas. Finally, when Michael Ware came on, only short excerpts of his interview with Petraeus were aired. You've done a real disservice to your serious viewers who aren't interested in the soap operas of murders and polygamy–and who are interested in the real news about what General Petraeus said to CNN's excellent reporter/interviewer, Michael Ware. When are you going to show the entire interview? This subject is of much more importance to the US and the world than the two other stories you have featured tonight as "breaking news."

April 10, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, Ohio

This interview with General Petraeus proves that the quality of the responses often depends on the expertise of the interviewer. Michael obviously knows this subject inside and out and Petraeus respected that. His responses seemed thorough and detailed. I was impressed that Michael was able to get the general to admit that the best the US could hope for was forced accommodation, not really reconciliation.

I hope that there is more to this interview.

Michael did an excellent job; I hope that we will see him do more interviews like this in the future.

April 10, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  36. ericacnn

Nicole, we just aired Michael Ware's interview

Jolene, I'm looking for exact details on what was found - I know there there was a hair and the bed was "disturbed"

April 10, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar

nichole,
    too late, you missed him......

April 10, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  38. Kathy, Chicago

But isn't it a crime because they are underage?

April 10, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  39. Reena

It is a complex situation indeed and I wish the candidates didn't simplify it so much to imply that a vote for republicans is continuation of war and a vote for the democrats is a vote to end the war. For or against, this has to be thought through in terms of what is in the best long term interest of the country. As Erica eloquently puts it – "Michael really puts things in perspecve (as always!)

April 10, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  40. Jolene

Fascinating discussion about spiritual marriages. This topic has been very eye opening for me.

April 10, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  41. Fay, CA

I agree with S, Minneapolis. Michael Ware said that Petraeus went into even more detail that wasn't shown–we'll we be seeing that as well?

April 10, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  42. Orin

Kathy it looks like its going to turn out like another Vietnam.

April 10, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  43. Nicole

Enough with the breaking news already. I've been waiting for an hour and half to see the entire Michael Ware interview. He's the man! Where can I see it?

April 10, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  44. Mrs. Roberts

I agreew/MaryBeth, Jolene and Stacy, would like to see more of Mr. Ware's interview or see it again.

April 10, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

Michael Ware,
    Thanks!!!!!!! I am enjoy your interview with General P......

April 10, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  46. Jolene

Erica: Can you confirm the information one of the bloggers stated tonight about reports of finding gadgets in the compound that were used on the girls? First time I heard of this. Thanks.

April 10, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  47. Minou, New York City

Brian: you can read the show transcript tomorrow morning! I'll be reading it, my attention span isn't too fresh anymore...

April 10, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  48. S, Minneapolis

So will the rest of the interview be aired? Come on, 360, don't just show us one minute of it–that's doing us a disservice.

April 10, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  49. ivan roberto

big fan from chicago waiting for the polygamy story.cant wait

April 10, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  50. Chuck in Alabama

Michael tells it like it is...first hand. I appreciate his views.

April 10, 2008 at 11:27 pm |