April 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/10/08

In tonight’s show, new pictures of the white temple at the Yearning for Zion ranch in Eldorado, Texas. In this temple adult men allegedly consummated their “spiritual marriages” to their teenage brides.

Also, the stunning revelation that local authorities in Texas had a confidential informant inside Warren Jeffs’ polygamous sect for four years. So why did it take so long for them to raid the ranch? David Mattingly will look into that.

And Dale Barlow, who reportedly was named by the alleged 16 year old victim, is living in Colorado City, Arizona even though there is an arrest warrant out for him in Texas. So why is he still at large tonight? Gary Tuchman is on that story.

Finally, the war in Iraq. It was started by one president and likely will be finished by another. Michael Ware has an extended interview with the commander on the ground, Gen. David Petraeus. We want your thoughts on this interview so we are extending the live blog. Tonight we’ll be posting comments starting at 10p ET and we’ll stop at 11:20p ET.

Be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features a behind the scene look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Brian Persaud

Alright I'm off for tonight. Great show guys, your dedication really is appreciated.

I had so much fun blogging with yall tonight, see ya tomorrow bloggers! 🙂

April 10, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  2. ericacnn

It's a frightening picture, deciding the "kind of hell".. Michael really puts things in perspecve (as always!)

April 10, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  3. Stacy

So are we going to see the rest of the interview tonight?

April 10, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

Thank you Michael Ware for delivering great insight into a complex subject!!!

April 10, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  5. Jolene

Michael is right. Eventhough the Democratic candidates claim that they will remove troops once in office. There is no way the war will end.

Great interview...I want to hear the rest of it!

April 10, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  6. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes! What a tangled web in Iraq. It will continue for a long while, I'm afraid.

April 10, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  7. MaryBeth

Is there a place we can see Michael Ware's interview in its entirety?

April 10, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

A very informative interview so far with Petraeus. I think the General has a firm grasp of the situation. I hope we get to see the whole interview.

April 10, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  9. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

It's nice to fnally have a live second hour of 360 and Michael's interview has been well worth the wait.

April 10, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  10. Mrs. Roberts

Thank you for airing Ware interview.

April 10, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Good night Kim.......

April 10, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  12. S, Minneapolis

Poor Kim. Michael's interview should've been on during the first hour. It's certainly important news, affecting far more people than a couple Marines' families.

April 10, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  13. Brian Persaud

Grrr...I switch to American Idol for one minute, and I miss the Michael Ware segment. I'm so smart. 🙁

April 10, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  14. Kim

No Michael Ware interview on CNN International 🙁 Will try to catch another 45 min. of sleep before going to work then... Night bloggers, Campbell and Erica

April 10, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  15. Brian Persaud

Renee> I haven't heard anything reported about that myself. But if thats the case, it only adds to the creepiness of it. I don't think there will ever be any real justice for anyone involved in the compound though. Theres no punishment great enough to make up for ruining the lives of all these children.

April 10, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  16. Kathy, Chicago

Thanks guys for staying late and airing this interview.

April 10, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar

Reena,
    Michael Ware is now...... due of breaking news marine caught in Mexico.

April 10, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  18. Melinda

Wow, Renee, I didn't hear that. That's gross. These kind of stories really tick me off and I get so mad about them. I'm not sure how you guys (Erica, Anderson and Campbell) can report this stuff without anger or disgust. I guess it's not easy to hide your feelings sometimes.

April 10, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  19. S, Minneapolis

YAY, finally, we see the Ware!

April 10, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  20. Reena

wasn't the michael ware interview scheduled at 10? i hope it is still on...staying past bedtime 🙂

April 10, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Thanks for information, Jeff talking about Marine caught in Mexico......

April 10, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

Hey Chuck- that's a great way of dealing with the unknown. Others fight what they don't know....and are thus scared of.

April 10, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  23. Renee

Brian I have to disagree with you on your comment. Most women don't want to "bed down" with some creepy old man. I didn't see it but a friend stopped by my office today to say hi. He told me that a network was reporting that on the top floor of the compound feds found gadgets and other items used on the women. This is not normal sex between consenting adults. This is sick stuff.

April 10, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  24. Orin

Mission Accomplished speech was 2004 MaryBeth by our "astute" president.

April 10, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  25. Chuck in Alabama

We must admit that we Americans are notorius for making fun of those things we don't understand.

April 10, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  26. Renee

Minou, it is the Jevovah's Witnesses. The men and women who knock at your door to invite you to their church and read a Bible verse to you. They are very kind and smart people. They are very often misunderstood like the Amish. Sorry for the abbreviation. I just call them the Witnesses.

April 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  27. Melinda

I wouldn't 'blame' most of the mothers. When you have been abused and raised in that abuse you know no different. We don't know if the mothers tried to protect their children or not. They may have but were unable to really do anything. It's not as if it was an easy thing to leave that compound. I do believe these woman were also victims too. The FLDS has been around at least a hundred years so most of these woman and their mothers and grandmothers know no other life.

April 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

Oh wait! You probably meant Jehova Witnesses? My bad.. I had a friend in high school who was one.

April 10, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar

Lol Minou!!!!
    you are so funny! * giggle*

April 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  30. Alys

it was 2003 not 2004

April 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  31. MaryBeth

Chuck, oh ok. Sorry to misinterpret what you said.

April 10, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  32. Stacy

Okay, this is getting frustrating. How much of this true crime stuff do we have to sit through until Michael's interview?

April 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  33. Orin

That's what I want to see Erica. I can't believe how far we've come since this war began and was declared over in 2004.

April 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

Kim,
    Also Alaska Airlines too, they grounded to check all planes.

April 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

Second hour! Woo hoo!

Thanks for all the info Renee. I've never even heard of Witnesses. I'll google them later.
    Enjoy the pie! 🙂

April 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  36. Carla Ontario Canada

I think tonights show has been great so far, it seems to have a good flow without all the little fillers ( silly pictures etc). just my thoughts

April 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  37. Chuck in Alabama

I simply stated the was a muslim enclave in GA. I didn't say they were militant. I was indicating that the midwest did not have a monopoly on this type of group.

April 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  38. Brian Persaud

Tammy> True, but there had to be a handful of consenting adults from which the entire compound population sprung. I'm sure there is no way to sort that out, but I believe whoever those women are, are indeed guilty. I would just hope that some natural maternal instinct would help these mothers protect their children..I think most mothers would take on any danger for the sake of their children.

April 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  39. Marian

When are we going to get the Michael Ware interview???

April 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  40. Sara, Oklahoma

I'm sorry, the Midwest may be the "Bible Belt" but I don't think it is cult country.

April 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  41. Renee

Tammy, who said these women were just as guilty? In my mind they are victims. Let's leave the guilt at the Vatican. 🙂

April 10, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  42. ericacnn

Alexander, you guessed it. i am very busy tonight - it's all hands on deck for the breaking news!

Michael Ware's piece is coming up in this next hour

April 10, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

Chuck, ok, but are they radical Muslims or regular Muslims? That's the difference. The FLDS takes LDS and perverts it, that's what radicals do: they take something to the extreme and turn into something totally different and usually the opposite of what it started out as.

April 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  44. Chuck in Alabama

Is a crime not a crime just because you were ignorant of the law?

April 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  45. Orin

Yeah I have to agree is not about the are its just disgusting people who go out of their way to brainwash people into acting a certain way.

April 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

John Vines in Florida,
    Anderson Cooper is taking week night off, he will come back next week.

April 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  47. Kim

Wow, do any of you think this might put American Airlines out of business in the long run? Aviation is such a hard-fought market...

April 10, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  48. Tammy

On the surface it would appear tese women are just as guilty because they didn't protect their kids. But, and it's a big one...women who are subjected to abuse and have no say in their marriages really can't protect their children. They are so beaten down and dependent on their spouses they cannot stand up for themselves. The fear of further abuse is too great. They are victims as much or more than their children. And remember, many of these women were children not so long ago when they married. They had no way out, and that's part of the abuser's control games.

April 10, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  49. Saera El Paso, TX

Kayle- heyyy i'm from the midwest
    i'm not in a cult!!
    it has nothing to do with the area, i promise you

April 10, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  50. MaryBeth

I think it was mentioned earlier today that since polygamy is illegal, the additional "wives" could claim to be single mothers and get welfare or something.

April 10, 2008 at 10:56 pm |