April 10th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/10/08

In tonight’s show, new pictures of the white temple at the Yearning for Zion ranch in Eldorado, Texas. In this temple adult men allegedly consummated their “spiritual marriages” to their teenage brides.

Also, the stunning revelation that local authorities in Texas had a confidential informant inside Warren Jeffs’ polygamous sect for four years. So why did it take so long for them to raid the ranch? David Mattingly will look into that.

And Dale Barlow, who reportedly was named by the alleged 16 year old victim, is living in Colorado City, Arizona even though there is an arrest warrant out for him in Texas. So why is he still at large tonight? Gary Tuchman is on that story.

Finally, the war in Iraq. It was started by one president and likely will be finished by another. Michael Ware has an extended interview with the commander on the ground, Gen. David Petraeus. We want your thoughts on this interview so we are extending the live blog. Tonight we’ll be posting comments starting at 10p ET and we’ll stop at 11:20p ET.

Be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features a behind the scene look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chuck in Alabama

Of course, I'm sure that everyone in this blog knows of places where they are not really welcome due to race, sex, or religion.

April 10, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Renee

No, Minou, you did not. I am just here to learn about different people and open my mind. God knows 360 has made me a better person. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in because no one else said anything.

Minou, I think the Amish are kind of like the Witnesses. There are not a lot of Armish and Witnesses so people don't know them very well. Now I am hungry for some pecan pie and I am up for another hour!

April 10, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Yay! Nice see Michael Ware back to AC360! I can't wait see him to interview General P. from Washington D.C.

April 10, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Alexander

Erica, why so quiet on the blog? They keeping you very busy behind the scenes? It's lonely without you and Anderson on the blogs.:) How are you doing?

April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Kim

Erica, will the Michael Ware interview air on CNN International as well?

April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Ramone Diaz, Venezuela

Hello Erica and Miss Campbell and moderator and bloggers
    great show today!

April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  7. ericacnn

Kayle, I have to pipe on that question about the Midwest, too - my husband is originally from the Midwest and I married into a wonderful family - no cults! It's not about the area of the country.

April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Chuck in Alabama

Marybeth, There is a muslim enclave in Georgia.

April 10, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Carla Ontario Canada

@CJ hope you feel better soon, nighty night

April 10, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Jolene

@Carla: I agree, with the large amount of women and children involved, stripping them away like they did and then separating the mothers from their children has got to be a mental shock for all involved.

April 10, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Chuck in Alabama

Malin, Last night Campbell reported that plenty of the money was from the "single mothers" that live on these compounds. Many of the members give their entire income to the church. This allows them to claim massive donations come income tax time.

April 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  12. carmen

Gary T. was able to give us a lot of information and facts about this whole case in his reports which would suggest that some of it was known before this last raid. This again begs the question about the competence of the authorities.

April 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Kim

It's very hard for me to even imagine how hard it would be to break out of this mindset of fear and mistrust of the outside world after having grown up in an environment like this for generations... in isolation it's easy to believe such lies, since they are impossible to disprove from within

April 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. MaryBeth

S, Minneapolis, ok, true!!! But the west with its vast amount of space and remoteness make it ideal for cults or sects or whatever to take root and grow. I think Wyoming still has less than one person per square mile...lots of space to hide...

April 10, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

Renee- that's great! I hope I didn't sound ant-Amish earlier...I'm not .
    And I do love our Amish stores here in NYC. The best bread for sure! 🙂
    I've seen a couple of documentaries that were kind of "mixed-reviews" for the Amish.

April 10, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Renee

Oh Minou, most of the Armish men work the trades painting, roofing and custom high end furniture. The Armish in our area are known as very highly capable and hard working people. They are very sweet and kind and every year have a huge open house at their church as a community celebration. An Armish funeral is very memorable and kind. It is a celebration of life of a great person.

April 10, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Malin

What I would really like to know how much of tax payer dollars went to pay for those pretty white buildings in Texas. These polygamist sects are notorious for taking welfare benefits to pay for all of those children.

For those who are interested in the FLDS, I recommend "Under the Banner of Heaven." It is a really fascinating read on this topic.

April 10, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

Good night CJ........

April 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  19. S, Minneapolis

"Something like this would not last long east of the Mississippi."
    Hey! West of it too... 😉

April 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Alys

I don't know if you can say the women are just as guilty as the men.Of course mothers should protect their kids but in their society, the men control everything and as we have heard, they (women) are brainwashed about the rest of the world. I would think that fear plays a big part in not doing anything. This isn't an excuse, I just think it helps us understand the situation more.

April 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  21. CJ

Thanks Erica. Hope they charge them all.. that is so wrong, married off if they are capable of having children? Okay maybe physically they produce an egg, but mentally and emotionally... dont know what to say, except those are some real sick men there.

April 10, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Chuck in Alabama

Kayle, You'd be amazed at how many "radical extremist" groups have compounds in our country.

April 10, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Carla Ontario Canada

@Jolene, if it were up to me I put them in jail until they sort it all out or some kind of detention center. Why subject the women and kids to any more trama and bring in consellors etc to the ranch.

April 10, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  24. MaryBeth

Kalye, this is not the midwest. I am in Chicago...that is the midwest...they are talking about the west..and the reason it makes a great place for things like this is that it is still very much unpopulated. Something like this would not last long east of the Mississippi.

April 10, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Stacy

Kayle, please don't think that cults are the norm in the midwest.

April 10, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Tammy

Brian, I'm with you on that...It is embarrassing to watch. And frightening that people are so desperate for something to believe in that they'll buy into anything that makes them feel better without thinking of the long-term consequences.

April 10, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. CJ

Well everyone, I have been pretty sick these past few days. I am going to leave you all. Will miss the conversation, but the bed is calling my name. I'll watch from there. Have a great night.

April 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Kim

Brian, I guess that's possible and of course in this case, they are just as responsible, but I can't imagine a lot of women who grew up outside of FLDS would be happy and willing to trade a life of relative freedom for polygamy and a form of slave labor....

April 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Renee

Minou, the Armish we have in FL are very progressive. They work jobs in the community. The ladies own businesses and make the BEST cakes and pies at their restaurant. The older Armish ride their bikes all over town and work jobs. They do take care of their own and in FL you would never see a minor girl pregnant.

April 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Ok, Moderator.......
    I am stay up, no problem.......... Thanks. Moderator.....

April 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Kayle

I've never had the chance to really experience the midwest. A question for anyone who lives in the area. Is cults and religious sects the norm or is it just a stereotype?

April 10, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. ericacnn

OK, couple of answers for you...

Yes, Michael Ware's intvu w/ Gen Patraeus is still in the rundown - stay tuned!

CJ, you asked about the age of the "brides" – the affidavit released Tues described what it referred to as "widespread practice" of girls on the ranch as young as 13 being married to adult men once they were believe to be of child-bearing age.

April 10, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Jolene

Great question Carla! But then again, where would they put all the men?

I'm glad Gary Tuchman is out reporting on this again. He has such patience.

April 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Orin

Melinda, as in everything there are some people who go to the extreme. There are Muslims who believe in piece and accepts everyone for who they are, and there are those that feel killing is the way to heaven.

April 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Brian Persaud

Kim> True. But I think there are mothers in the compound that joined willingly, and weren't born into that situation, so I think those mothers are just as guilty as the men for consenting to abuse of their own children.

April 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Carla Ontario Canada

Wow, that's great blogging til midnight...thanks to ac360 for their true dedication and to the great moderator .Why dont you have a picture up there.

April 10, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  37. carmen

sounds like the authorities in Texas are confused about a lot of things

April 10, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Saera El Paso, TX

richard that's kind of extreme
    to my knowledge the Amish do not brainwash
    they grow up with certain beliefs
    just like you
    and me
    and everyone else in the world
    beliefs are only deemed to be wrong or brainwashing when they cause people harm
    i don't think the Amish have hurt anyone....
    correct me if i'm wrong?

April 10, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Renee

Moderator, is the show going to repeat tonight at 11 PM or will it be a fresh show LIVE?

April 10, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  40. CJ

Thanks Kim ... I was thinking the same thing.

April 10, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  41. MaryBeth

Orin, yes, I know. I have a friend who is LDS. I was just wondering if they are going to keep the children with their biologic mothers and how the are going to figure that out if the kids say they have multiple mothers. How are they deciding which females are "women" or not? Are the teenage girls who are mothers considered women or children? And how do you separate children from their siblings or half-siblings?

April 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Tammy

Abuse like this will take a lifetime to overcome. As a counselor, I've worked with adults who were sexually abused as kids, and they never really get over it. They can get through it eventually, but not over it.
    The plus here is that these children were taken out before anymore damage could be done. Having said that, more than enough already occurred.

April 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Kim

Has the 16 year old girl who made the call been found? Are authorities still looking for her? Sounds like she might be in real danger if she is not found...

April 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Sara, Oklahoma

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

April 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Melinda

Poor Gary, he keeps having to talk to the hand when he's sent out there. lol

April 10, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Richard, I think the Amish are ok in general. they at least allow their youngsters to explore the "real world" and after that they can decide whether they want to stay amish or leave. But I hear there's plenty of sexual abuse going on ... don't know ...

April 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Orin and Chuck...

April 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  48. John Arnold

Jeffery Toobin was asked by the anchor why the report of from an informant wasn't enough to prompt an investigation. Probably not enough evidence, not enough probably cause was more or less the answer.

In most States there are child abuse laws that require an investigation to be initiated within 24 hrs when this kind of information is given to law enforcement or child protective services. Is Texas law different? Were child abuse laws waived for some reason?

April 10, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Brian Persaud

Tammy> Exactly, the banner of religion can be more devastating than any military machine. As a Christian, witnessing so much religious fanaticism is just embarrassing...

April 10, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Kim

Most of these mothers are victims just as much as their children, since they were brought up in the same abusive environment and with the same restrictive mindset. So I would imagine it will be less traumatizing for the children if they can learn about the outside world alongside their mothers if at all possible....

April 10, 2008 at 10:40 pm |