April 7th, 2008

A look ahead at 360° Tonight

Good morning friends... What's on your mind this morning?  Please let us know your morning thoughts about the news.

Here's what we're thinking so far for 360 tonight:

– On the eve of General Petraeus’ testimony on the Hill, Michael Ware does a reality check on the Surge. What has it accomplished. Can it be sustained? Must it be sustained?

– Nic Robertson on the difficulty in getting Iraqi troops to take over on the front lines.

– Candy Crowley on the resignation of top strategist Mark Penn from Hillary Clinton's campaign. Did he really think such a conflict of interest would be ok, or wouldn't be discovered?

– Tom Foreman on reports Condoleezza Rice wants to be VP. The NY Times says it's news to McCain's camp.

– David Mattingly on the more than 200 women and children removed from the Texas compound of the FLDS polygamist sect led by the self-proclaimed prophet now in prison: Warren Jeffs. Authorities have not identified the girl who called them with allegations of abuse.

– Planet in Peril: Harris Whitbeck on the mysterious Dengue fever in Rio, which has killed at least 58 and sent thousands to the hospital.

See you tonight!

-Barclay Palmer, 360° Senior Producer

Comments to the 360° blog are moderated. What does that mean?

Filed under: Barclay Palmer • Iraq • Polygamy • Raw Politics
  1. Jim Hendrickson

President Bush wants to enact a free trade agreement with Colombia?
    One of our foremost Drug Traffic suppliers of Heroin and Cocaine!!!!!!!
    I guess I have heard it all now or I'm going deaf! Will they package some free Heroin or Cocaine with all their exported products? GET REAL!

April 7, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  2. lesley - Vancouver, BC

I think Penn was pushing Hillary to be too edgy. When she found her voice in New Hampshire (softer?), he was probably the one who silenced it again. Go Hillary – sisters are doing for themselves!

April 7, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Barclay and Anderson,
    I want hear from Nic Robertson in Iraq, what's happening in Iraq right now, I hope he is safe right now, Oh really? Condoleeza Rice want be vice president with McCain.... I dont know, I am not sure she doesn't want to be Vice President. I'm thinking about this, but I can't think if she want to. other thing, Oh Boy! that is so bad for people 58 who killed by doctor, I am so disappoint with the doctor. I am really sorry for their family in "Planet in Peril". I am enjoy watch AC360 everynight, that will be good program tonight!
    Anyway, I can't wait see Anderson tonight at 7 pm on AC360..... See you later!

April 7, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  4. Genevieve M, TX

I will be looking forward to the PIP report about Dengue fever. From what I know so far, large breakouts occur about every 5 years, it's spread primarily by mosquitos, there is no vaccine to prevent the disease, and the current method of treatment is "supportive therapy"- which mostly consists of rehydration. As of now, the main method to decrease incidences of Dengue fever is vector (mosquito) control.

I have heard that there are current clinical trials for the vaccine, but that it is still only in the beginning stages. Also, scientists at the University of Colorado have genetically engineered mosquitos to render their cells incapable of reproducing the Dengue virus.

April 7, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  5. RM

What does Texas think its doing removing all those children from their families? This state tends to do what it wants, regardless of what the rest of the country thinks. You are NOT your own country TEXAS!!!!! Get a grip and leave those children with their families. Close the camp....make the children go to public school.....the children not making these allegations should be left alone. What Texas is doing to the children not involved in these allegations makes me sick!!!!

April 7, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  6. Rosemarie, Washington state

This Penn situation makes you wonder how Hillary's Day One team would be of any benefit to the citizenry. It is a measure of the candidate and her executive abilities that her own staff is in such a state. I wish more attention would be paid to comparing the "administrations" of the 3 candidates in regard to their campaign's bookkeeping, administrative functions, and following through on committments. Might provide a little insight into their future possibilities.

April 7, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  7. A.E>Maynard

Objectivity's In

Anderson Cooper's a fraud!
    Biased and hopeless clod!
    A priviledged, self-absorbed snob!
    Conditioned to the job!
    With most of cnn's ladies!
    And most of cnn's men!
    But biased and bush-league babies!
    Obamafied – plus ten!

Just sneak-a-peek at Cafferty!
    The mirror of you all!
    Pompous egos – angry – empty!
    Do your editors proud!
    Larry and Lou! Wolf Blitzer too!
    Too good for CNN!
    Rest of the crew – heed Larry's cue!
    Objectivity's in!

Ether's Voice
    04/07/08

April 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  8. David

Ever one went crazy when Hillary said she was in Bosnia under firer. What she was trying to do was show she had been involved in affairs of diplomacy in Bosnia, which she was. No one made note of that fact. Now Obama lies again about something that he doesn’t do, receive money from oil companies, about McCain, about Rev. Wright. When in fact he does receive money from oil companies, a lot. He lied about McCain comments concerning Iraq. Obama lied about Rev. Wright apologizing for his comments. He lied on the view when questioned about his pastor. I’m sure the media will fine away to make him look good and cover up this situation. Obama and his campaign are a fraud, just like the media reporting of him. I believe the media is doing this so that McCain will win the White house. The Republican Party will begin the negative campaign once they know who the democratic nominee will be. Obama will not be elected in the general election.

April 7, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  9. Elise

What is the deal with the lawsuit being brought against Clinton(s) for campaign finance fraud? If this is real, why haven't we heard about it?

April 7, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  10. Jo

With respect to the surge, McCain made the following statement today:

"The dramatic reduction in violence has opened the way for a return to something approaching normal political and economic life for the average Iraqi,"

Normal!!!??? He seems just as delusional as Bush. Looking forward to hearing Ware's analysis and Nic's report.

April 7, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  11. Sarah

A McCain-Rice ticket......that would be interesting. Maybe she can help him pull all the party together and earn the White House.?

April 7, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  12. Rob, Arvada, CO

Anderson, I think there is much to discuss regarding Mark Penn, involving Colombia, and Hillary allowing him to still be part her campaign, even though he resigned as chief strategist. We should also discuss the inaccuracy of Hillary's hospital story. She used this blatantly bull story to try to persuade voters on her campaign stump. And Hillary yet again telling Bush to boycott the Olympics, a truly outrageous request. Hillary is under the microscope, and we're going to catch everything.

April 7, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  13. Marlene Butkus

Could you please do a 360 story about "family life after foreclosure..." What's happening to all the thousand of families left without homes? Where do they go? How about their children's school, health and wellbeing in general? Is there any hope for these families to find better jobs or credit opportunites to compensate for such devastating event...???

April 7, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  14. Michelle

I was just watching CNN and I can not believe the pics out
    of San Fran. Will the 360 crew be live in San Fran on Weds.
    I am wondering who are the people behind the stunt on the
    Golden Gate Bridge and how did they pull this off ?

April 7, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  15. Robert E. Dooley

At the very start of Sen. Clinton's campaign, she was the presumed nominee winner with hugh percentage point lead over all other candidates.

Then when Obama won in Iowa and she almost lost in New Hampshire, she suddenly became the underdog.

How can a candidate with a huge beginning lead as Sen. Clinton enjoyed become the underdog, how about she is losing favorite, who under estimated Sen. Obama and now she wants to be "Rocky" or the "Comeback Kid".

Don't understand why the press and networks lets her get away with all the deception, mis-quotes (lies), and representing herself as the underdog.

The press or networks never compliment Obama on running a underdog campaign that has surpassed the "cannot lose" front runner (Sen. Clinton).

All the networks and press continually back Sen. Clinton on here underdog status, when she has run a terrible campaign.

The fact is that without being Bill Clinton's wife and former first lady, she would not be a Senator or Presidential candidate.

April 7, 2008 at 1:39 pm |
  16. Linda

Can we get more information about the Clinton's 10M in donations? Other news sources are saying that the majority of the donations went to the Clinton foundation? And that they are only now dispersing donations as they go through the states they campaign in. Is this true?

April 7, 2008 at 1:39 pm |
  17. Robert E. Dooley

Clinton strategists re: (Pa. Gov. Rendell) Sunday on Meet The Press,
    kept referring to Clinton's favorable big states win and the electoral college votes she will carry.

My questions is, should Sen. Obama win the Dem. Party nomination, wouldn't Sen. Clinton support the Democratic ticket and support Obama in all states?

With her support in all states she carried, the electoral college votes her supporters are now professing is her strong point should pass to Obama through her support?

Don't understand Sen. Clintons strategists and supporters proposing this Electoral College Vote line?

April 7, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  18. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Barclay....tonight's 360 sounds really good. Can't wait to see the reports tonight.

April 7, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  19. Lori

I think if Barack Obama had to ask for the resignation of his top strategist, lied about sniper fire & told a false story about the hospital where a women died along shortly after delivery her still born baby, he would be out of the race as of now. Why is the media handling Clinton so lightly? Is it because she complained once before?

Obama was hammered by the media over the Rev. Wright controversy and he came out of that without too many scratches. Let's see if Clinton can come out unscathed over all of these mishaps.

April 7, 2008 at 1:10 pm |
  20. carmela

Hi All, with all the news over the weekend and with all the action and reaction possible, can we please get a break from the Rev. Wright's tape? It should be clear by now that the pastor left the church but that God is still there.

April 7, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  21. Annie Kate

One thing I would like to see discussed is if we pull out of Iraq what happens in Afghanistan? Do we divert our troops there instead of bringing them home? Is there a goal for the Afghanistan war that says once we accomplish this we are done and everyone can go home. People talk about getting the troops out of Iraq but I don't hear anything from the candidates on what they would do about Afghanistan especially with the increase in violence there and the Taliban taking control again in places. Somehow I don't think withdrawal is as simple or straightforward as the candidates talk about.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

April 7, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  22. Michelle

Sounds like a great show I saw the story with Nic Robertson.
    I was stunned to see some of the Iraqi troops take a lunch
    break . It looked like really scary stuff. I always look foward
    to Michael Ware's reporting., He keeps thing real.

April 7, 2008 at 12:56 pm |
  23. Michael, NC

Sounds like a great lineup...especially Michael Ware's segment. He always provides us with a 100% candid and truthful representation of our situation overseas. So any time he is on, I enjoy the show.
    Of course, you have to keep the balance of politics in there as well, and the new developments over the weekend sound good, even though I am almost over the whole candidacy race...it's so drawn out.
    Finally, Planet In Peril is AWESOME! I can't get enough of it. I am really looking forward to tonight's coverage from Rio.
    I have been thinking-you guys should put out another DVD set...I watch the first set on a continual basis. Great job by the entire CNN crew. 🙂

April 7, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  24. Cindy

Barclay,
    I am glad that you are having Michael Ware on to discuss Iraq tonight and what needs to be done there. Nothing like hearing a fresh perspective from someone who has no agenda and tells the truth no matter what. I love hearing from him!

I don't know what we are going to have to do short of just walking away to make the Iraqis take control of the military situation over there. It'll be great to hear what they think needs to be done.

Mark got too big of an ego and thought that he could do as he pleased! Hopefully people won't place this blame on Hillary for his dumb actions. He deserved to get canned!

NO..I don't think Condi is the right VP for McCain at all!! Hope McCain says thanks but no thanks to that!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

April 7, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  25. Keith, Rockwall, TX

I am so tired of the charcterzation of Rev. Wright as anti-american and racist; the facts do not bear this out. You have had people in the past that have tried to tell part of the other side of Jeremiah Wright; don't you think America deserves to know the whole truth about this man?

Why won't you, one of the most unbiased reporters take the time to provide the real truth of Jeremiah Wright?

April 7, 2008 at 12:47 pm |