April 3rd, 2008

Penn. gov. says many whites won't vote for Obama

He said what!!??

That was the reaction many had after hearing what Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell said about white voters in his state and Senator Barack Obama.

Gov Ed Rendell
See Randi's report on Gov. Rendell's comments tonight on a special edition of Anderson Cooper 360: Race & Politics at 11p ET

First, you should know, Rendell has endorsed Obama’s opponent, Senator Hillary Clinton. Why?  He said, “If you were having brain surgery and you had one brain surgeon who was considered the greatest, A+, and you had one who was graded A, you could choose either one of them, not pay any more for either one of them, you choose the A+.  Obviously.  And that’s why Hillary Clinton should be our nominee."

But in a meeting with the Pittsburgh Gazette in February, Gov. Rendell said, “You've got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African American candidate."

Yes, he went there...

When I interviewed him last week about his remarks for a story for Anderson Cooper 360, he told me, “I was handicapping a race. It’s like saying that NC is gonna beat Duke because it’s taller, they’ve got taller players. Taller players generally get more rebounds than shorter players. I was handicapping a race in a private room. I wasn’t trying to influence, I didn’t think that my comments would ever get into the public domain. If I was trying to influence the race to help Senator Clinton, I would’ve done it at a big rally. It wasn’t intended to be racial.”

I asked him, do you regret saying it? His response: "I had 3 difficult days, sort of to the extent that I regret them. I would have loved to concentrate on my governor’s job. But no, do I think there was anything wrong with them? Absolutely not. No, I told the truth and we’ve got to be able to speak the truth about the race without someone pointing a finger and saying you’re racist- you know, um, we have to be able to speak the truth.”

You can only imagine the firestorm that followed after the Gazette first published his remarks. The head of Philadelphia’s NAACP called the remarks “callous and insensitive.” And Rendell’s former opponent in the Governor’s race, Lynn Swann, an African American, called what the governor said “a subtle form of racism.”

In the past, Gov. Rendell had said that if Lynn Swann had been white, not black, the race for governor may have been closer when they ran against each other.

In all fairness to the governor, the reporter who wrote the article in the Pittsburgh Gazette seemed surprised by the reaction it got. So he wrote another article five days later agreeing with the governor, writing, “Mr. Rendell didn’t “dump” or “strategically plant” his opinion about race in our paper on behalf of the Clinton campaign. We asked him for his opinion and he gave it without equivocating.” He added, “It wasn’t my impression that Mr. Rendell was advocating a bigoted electorate as an acceptable status quo or a healthy attitude for Pennsylvania.”

I couldn’t help but point out to the governor that he made these comments just about a month after Bill Clinton had compared Obama’s victory in South Carolina to the victory of another black candidate from years ago, Jesse Jackson. The governor told me he was bothered by the comments made by the former President but still stood by his.

Is Gov. Ed Rendell a racist? He says no and attempted to prove it, saying, “Anybody who knows my record as governor knows I’ve been probably the most inclusive governor we’ve ever had . Minority business enterprises now have 10% of state business. They had 2% of state business before I became governor. This is the most inclusive administration we’ve ever had.”

In our interview, Mr. Rendell also told me, ”Senator Clinton might lose some votes because there are conservative white democrats who don’t want to see a woman as commander in chief. Those are facts, and Senator Obama had done a great job sort of putting race behind him. Look at the votes in Wyoming, Wisconsin, Utah where there are predominantly white voters. He has done a great job overcoming that.”

Who does Rendell blame for all this talk of race? You guessed it, the media! He said, “The media in my judgment is the number one offender here. We've got to get to the point where white candidates can criticize black candidates and black candidates can criticize white candidates without it being characterized as racist.”

At the end of our meeting, I asked the Governor if his candidate doesn’t win the nomination, will he support Barack Obama? He told me, “Of course. I had a call from Senator Obama, he said, you know I’m gonna be the nominee.  And I didn’t argue with him. I said, sure.  And he said, I just wanna make sure that nothing happens during Pennsylvania, the campaign here, that will make it harder for us to win in the fall.  And I said, Senator, don’t even worry about that for 5 seconds.”

Even the Governor admitted to me it is tough for him to hold his tongue, so these days he’s waiting a few seconds between thinking something and opening his mouth. He says he doesn’t want to hurt the Democrats' chance to win the White House come November.

– Randi Kaye, 360° Correspondent

Program note: See Randi's report on Gov. Rendell's comments tonight on a special edition of Anderson Cooper 360: Race & Politics at 11p ET.

Filed under: Ed Rendell • Randi Kaye
  1. stan

i think it was a strategic political move....to move white voters or i would say make them think racially ...well ...i got news for rendell, whites voters are not dummies, i think they can think for themselves and elect a president not because his/shes of thesame race but because he/she stands for what they believe in. ...thanks for saying nothing ..rendell.

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  2. jeromeepps

It's funny that when white use certain words the blacks and some whites see it as being racism. But when Obama minister talk about whites he cover it up and used the race card everytime. Yes, I am a black male and I want vote for him because he never been for the lower class people it always been about who got money. Yes, how can you be around a person for over 20th years and say that you never hear your minister used the kind of words. Look him he supported tony rezko when he was the worst slum landlord in chicago and he said he didn't know. I know and I don't live there now but he never consider hisself black until he was running for president. He didn't do any for people that was hinder by hurricane katrina. He and his campaign did everything to make sure that FL and MI did get a chance to revote. All his lies will continue to catch up with him

March 28, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Alex

You see... He really needs to examine himself carefully, because anything that any of these candidates' endorsers can cost them some damage in the general election. I think Hillary really needs to get out of the race, because she's causing democratic voters to shif in an act of rage, and anger. If Barack doesn't get the democratic nominee, we all have to come to terms that African-Americans weill go into panic mode, and vote for John McCain in the general election. In the end of it all, Hillary Clonton will not become the President of the United States. It's either she doesn't get the nominee, or she loses to John McCain. By the way, I don't think only Hillary Clinton owns the White House, she needs to give someone else a change, especially with her husband being such a loose cannon.

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Jan, North Carolina

Obama changed his tune again. Now he's saying that he would have left his church if his preacher wasn't retiring. convenient. why didn't he leave earlier. why isn't anyone pointing out that he keeps changing his story.

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Tonya

Gov. Ed Rendell should apologize to all Pennsylvanians!

White conservatives do not=institutionalizes racism

March 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Fran

Because it was a white man (Rendell) that said that – it is ok. Rev. Wright made similar comments and he is wrong and is dragged through the mud. Typical American history: white is right and black is wrong.

March 28, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  7. auggie

"Yes, he went there… "

This is so absurd. As a minority , with the color of my skin resembling that of a caucasian, I believe the NAACP needs to truly change their perception of how TRUTH speaks louder than lies.

Governor Rendell spoke the truth and I give him credit for that. Ironically enough, why is there not a group for Caucasians in this country? Is that not being racist towards those whose skin color is light?

There is no need for Rendell to watch his tongue. Obama is half African American and half Caucasian. So if someone can please explain to me why so many African Americans are supporting him SOLEY BECAUSE he is of African American descent?

Need I say more?

March 28, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Doug, Florida

Why are we so racists? Please everyone examine yourself.

We are Democratic. I will vote For Obama or Hillary.

Go DNC 08

March 28, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Barbara - Bristol, VA

Last week, someone on CNN commented that when Obama sneezes, his supporters think it's "elequent". I have yet to figure out why he holds so much intrigue. I am 56 years old and have been a Democratic voter all my life. However, if Obama gets the democratic nomination, I won't vote for McCain – I won't vote at all. Many say, oh, "the party will come together in November." I am just one person, but I believe there will be many more Democrats who join the ranks of non-voters if Obama is the nominee. Thank you, Governor Rendell.

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  10. june

The Pennsylvania Governor is a racist...and he's encouraging and fueling the race issue. Shame on him for causing more division in this country! By the way, I'm a white female.

March 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  11. EJ - Ohio

One similar comparison would be if Obama or *high level surrogates* in his campaign would declare "Many men are not going to vote for Hillary"

That would be a very baiting statement (regardless of the level of truth to it).

They would get slammed for it. It would be like they are saying to try to fuel some gender war – but of course that would backfire and get more women out there to vote for Hillary.

March 28, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  12. Ron

How can someone with beliefs like this be elected? Much less represent low income and middle class.

March 28, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

Some people don't get that his statement is not the same as saying that "Obama will do well because of the large African American population" or "Hillary will do well because of women over 60"

Rendell is saying that many whites will not vote for Obama specifically because he is black. This means he's saying a lot of them have problems with black folks.

The governor is not supposed to say that! That is really a put down to many whites in PA who do not have those feelings. The governor – as the main representative of the people of PA – should not say such a thing. You would think he would not feel like they are ignorant rednecks and just keep his mouth shut.. but as I said – he probably meant to say it to get the controversy going.

To say those are all equivalent statements you would have to argue that blacks in large numbers have not voted for white candidates in the past. (Pretty hard to do when the overwhelming majority of candidates are white) Its probably more true that many blacks have not voted period regardless of what race the candidate was.

Blacks have traditionally voted heavily Democrat – black, white, or purple.

To make a comparison on the female issue, you would also have to say that younger women have a deep issue with older women and they would never vote for a woman over 60. That is not true and doesn't make a lot of sense. So the statement is not factually or politically comparable to what Rendell said.

March 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  14. Phyllis

Desperate words by a desperate surrogate!

March 28, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  15. Cynthia

It shows that we as Americans have a long way to go! Hopefully Rendell will be looking for a new job when his term ends,

March 28, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  16. Deb - Canada

Here we go again! Anderson you and others at CNN have to take some responsibility to cool this hunt for "racism" or "race" statements.
    Clearly, the Gov. is simply making a comment about his constituency. In the same way someone at CNN might say, "Obama will do well in this place because of the large African American population". Both comments are assumptions based on race. Often comments are made regarding Clinton – like "she won't do well here because of the heavy black population" or "she will do well because of women over 60". This implies blacks and young people won't vote for her. PUT IT DOWN or you will widen the divide.

March 28, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  17. Debra

I think a lot of whites will not vote for Obama because we don't trust him and don't think he is what we need. I don't think it is because he is black. I think he is in the clouds on the issues and I don't think he could handle the job. His pastor just made me certain that I did not want to vote for such racist. Until I heard his preacher, I was just staying open minded. I resent the fact that Obama and family would sit through sermon after sermon from Rev. Wright without a peep. Obviously he cannot stand up for his beliefs or maybe he did. That is what bothers me. To say that Hillary Clinton had it easier or that a poor black boy had it harder than a poor white boy is wrong. Poor is poor and it is hard no matter what color you are. Most of the whites I know don't want to go backwards, we want to move forward and his preacher certainly hasn't moved forward so I assume Obama hasn't either. He talks pretty and looks pretty, but I really, really don't want him as president. If he gets the nomination, I will probably vote for a Republican for the first time in my life.

March 28, 2008 at 9:14 pm |
  18. EJ - Ohio

"I believe that there are many white voters who wouldn’t vote for a liar either. Hillary Clinton lied about her experience in Bosnia until Sinbad and others came forward to throw her under the bus."

Sinbad is a TRIP. He said the only 'red phone' moment they had was trying to figure out where to go to eat. Ha!

March 28, 2008 at 9:09 pm |
  19. Anaiah

For those who wish to still call Rev. Wright a racist based on the clips that's been playing on the news, please do your own research. It doesn't take much. Not a surprise, but larger portions of sermons are on you tube but cnn, msnbc, fox and others refuse to play at length because then you will see the creative editing meant to spark controversy. My eyes were opened to this after digging a little deeper. It fills in the missing pieces. Granted there are certain comments I and others may not agree with, but I wish people would use some intellect and not always take the bait.

March 28, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  20. Lesley - Vancouver

Many people have said that a woman won't get certain male or female votes. Sen. Obama opened up the whole race "talk" because – it's there. No one seems to complain about black voters backing Sen. Obama 99% of the time. I would like someone to compare what Sen. Obama has done for African Americans vs Clinton and Gov. Rendell. That would be a good story and a "healing" one, too. KEEP EM HONEST ANDERSON!

March 28, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  21. Alex

Ed Rendell sticks his foot in his mouth every once in a while, but that's because he actually answers questions honestly. I know that's hard to believe of a politician, but it's true. (No, I'm not a politician.)

If you are going to play "Say the wrong word and we brand you with a label," you are going to make any honest conversation about race, or gender, impossible. Why did you go there?

March 28, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  22. joanne in ontario

Rendall and his comments belong with the K K K'S and the white supremest groups. He has no business being a Gov for any state. My goodness enough is enough Hillary has to step down now.

March 28, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  23. Penny

I don't understand how this man became a governor with so little intelligence. They must have hard times in Pennsylvania. I am glad I am not from PA. Blue collar must mean you are just plain old working class with no "CLASS". The stuff you can't buy with "MONEY"!!!

March 28, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  24. Mary Ann

I would just like to say I think It is pretty arrogant of Obama to call the Gov. and state he is going to be the nominee. I thought there was still quite a few states left to vote. I am really beginning to think alot of people are afraid of Senator Clinton. She is very smart and would make great President. All the old boys club in washington are backing him because they know they can wrap him around their little fingers. The Gov. said nothing wrong and it is very tiring listening to the race issue alway being brought up. I am sure people would agree a lot of people do not want a women in the white house either but is anyone crying about that. Of course not.

March 28, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  25. Karen Penn State

I got news for you Gov. Rendell Sen. Barrack Obama is going to win. Thanks to you. I tell you something people of all races hate to be mislead and smeared. Just get ready to support Obama, or you'll be worrying about who's going to vote for you. I know the people of the Great Penn State is better than that and I'm sure they wouldn't want someone like you representing them. I think you served your last term and embarrased yourself infront of the whole world and amongst your own colleagues.

March 28, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  26. Annie Kate

Everyone is so quick to label someone a racist for a statement they make even when that statement may indeed represent the truth. Here in the deep South the majority of white voters will vote for the Republican in the race if past races are a predictor of this one. Is this racist? For some whites this choice may be; for others its simply the fact that this state is a traditionally Republican state. Democrats usually are considered an undesirable no matter what color or sex they come in.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 28, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  27. Micheal

I believe that there are many white voters who wouldn't vote for a liar either. Hillary Clinton lied about her experience in Bosnia until Sinbad and others came forward to throw her under the bus. When she had the opportunity to tell the truth about the matter, instead she told another lie, " Sleep Deparvation," Clearly she lost the opportunity to take the high rode here and tell the truth which would have put her in another light where the American people could forgive her. Hillary Clinton has a problem with being consistant with inconsistency. She never acknowledges when shes politically incorrect . She never say I was wrong and I learned from my mystakes. I'm refering to her vote to authorize the Iraq War, Her support on Nafta. Her whole campaign evolved around her being more experienced than Obama and ready on day one. Then she released her White House documents stating that she really doesn't have experience and she failed with he health care she was tying to pass and she doesn't acknowledge any of this. When reporters ask her about any of the above she brushes them off and say " No, I don't agree with that." I have a problem with her not facing up to her wrong doing and not being honest when giving the opportunity too. Thats why Obama is leading because is seems to be more transparent. It's not a White Person , Brown Person, Black Person thing. Americans need a President that can stand up when there wrong and admit it. We all lie one time or another, its being human but we expect our president to be more transparent and real when caught lying. Bill Clinton did it and he was re-elected.

March 28, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  28. lily

Yes, why wouldn't they vote for Obama? Obama will unite the country and bring back the respect, admiration and peace from other nations. The American people are much smarter than the Governor of Pen.

March 28, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  29. Kohwo in Houston

Randi's comment are facts of life, but it is also the thinking and mind set that Barack is preaching against. Let face it this is the only country Barack story can be told, lets believe in ourselfs and more hailings to us and the US of A.

March 28, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  30. Jeff

Rendell and other Clinton supporters are beginning to show signs of increased desperation. If only his comments were as positive as those of his fellow Pennsylvanian, Senator Casey. Comments like these are only hurting the Clinton campaign, driving up her negatives. It looks as though Rendell can't think of anything positive to say about Senator Clinton. These attempts to ghettoize Obama, throwing up a "hillbilly firewall," haven't worked, and they will backfire. This kind of talk will begin to anger superdelegates, driving them towards Obama. Hopefully, no republican says anything like this when Obama finally wraps up the nomination and the general election begins. If a republican were to say something like this, he'd be ostricized; Rendell is walking a fine line here.

March 28, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  31. JT

Even Obama say something like " typical whites".

Redell said "conservative whites" how else you describe them.

Basically the same thing happen in Mississippi, majority of the blacks voted for Obama. How would you explain this? Can you say, they voted for Obama because he is black without sounding like a racist.
    Do the black people voted for Obama a racist? I hope not.

Rendell made an accurate statement. He did not intent to be racist.

I agree with Gov Rendell, Hillary is the best candidate for November.

March 28, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  32. Illinois

Let me guess....the Obama freaks will accuse this man of being a racist and/or making racist comments. And he did. No question about it. But why, when a minister makes comments that are racist and anti-semetic and appears to support an Islamic terrorist group, those comments are not at all racist but, instead, all of the white community is "misunderstanding" the minister's real meaning behind the words?? Do you really think all of us are that naive?? I know Obama was able to convince a good percentage of people of that line of thinking, but I can guarantee you that that sort of thing won't hold water with the majority.

You know, many of my friends belong to black churches and not a single one of them hear their ministers making comments such as those made by Rev. Wright. In fact, all of them were appalled by Rev. Wright's sermons. Any attempt to portray Rev. Wright's sermons as "typical sermonology" in a black church is completely dishonest and only increases the problem of racism.

March 28, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  33. Susan

Mama's Boy's. Clinton's mail voters are simply "Mama's Boys". They need a mother to run our Country, and hold their hands too. How else could she have survived her husbands affair with a woman young enough to be her daughter. She mother's Bill. Bill is a "Mama's Boy". That's why their marraige works. She needs to mother, and he needs a mother. Mama's boy's don't usually don't have a backbone.

I have an extremely close relationship with my two adult son's. But they know how to think for themselves, make decisions on their own and are leaders among their peers. Barack Obama was close to his mother and gained strength from her. Other men go on to become "mama's boys" and live under their wings, while Barack soars atop his mother's wings. There is a difference. Sincerely, Susan

March 28, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  34. EJ - Ohio

Also, when people make comments like that – its not that anyone automatically thinks that they are racist. However it is the person's statements that can only be analyzed.

I could care less whether any governor is racist or not. That is something people can hide. They just should use good judgment and not allow their personal feelings to decide what they do on the job. So whether he (or Ferraro) or whomever is racist or not is irrelevant.

You can make a poor thought out (and even racist) statement without being a racist.

The question is – why did he make such a dumb statement to begin with? I think it was intentional – part of Clinton campaign tactics.

March 28, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  35. Richard Freeman

Why wouldn't they vote for Obama? Is that going to get them into heaven or something? What will they do when they get to heaven-(fat chance if you have HATE in your heart) and find out there's black people there too? What are they going to do, refuse to go into heaven? I think God will appear to you in the form you least expect...just to see if you are truly not full of hate. What are you going to do then? Lie to God?

March 28, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  36. onenibble

If Obama went to church for 20 years an heard Rev. Wright's messages of hate he could be racist. His ties with Rezco also brings up many questions about his character. Gov. Rendell's comments are probably correct.

March 28, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  37. EJ - Ohio

That's a really smart thing for a GOVERNOR to say.

So basically a significant number of people in PA are racist rednecks that would never vote for a 'darkie' like Barack.

He must have real faith in PA!

Or perhaps he's just following the baiting tactics that the Clinton campaign has used throughout the primary season.

March 28, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  38. FES

How can you guys call someone racist because someone else said racist type words??? My brother is racist. We were both raised in the same house and we're in our 40's but I'm not racist so explain that difference you guilt by association people!!

March 28, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  39. Fran from Atlanta

And this governor's word means what? Let's face it, Obama doesn't need to win Penn to beat Hillary. You people have just let Hillary hand pick states she assumes she will win and make them important ones.

March 28, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  40. Chuck in Alabama

Get your heads out of the sand. There is bigotry on BOTH sides of this contest.

March 28, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  41. Praetorian, Fort Myers

All hype no reality!!

Despite the racial slant being placed on this...I think most white working class don't see Obama as having a significant resume in the first place, and recent information regarding Rev. Wright have not helped.

They aren't staying away because he is black–they're staying away because he appears to be racist and inexperienced. Not to mention the fact...his agenda is as socialist as they come.

The birthplace of American freedom, liberty and free enterprise–PA has historically conservative values–and frankly Obama is anything but conservative.

March 28, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  42. Cindy

As much as I hate to think it much less say it there still are some people in America who unfortunately have biases against people of different races. So I am sure that there will be some who won't vote for Obama because of his skin color. But I don't think it'll be just in the white community racism crosses all color lines!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 28, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  43. Jenn

I think it was very poor judgement on him indeed. I wouldn't call him a racist, but rather who is making a judgement on Conservative, white America. I don't think he feels that way about African-Americans, but he sees that in politics in Pennsylvania. I just think he spoke very poorly.

As to whether it was strategic to benefit Hillary...I don't see how inflammatory comments like that help Hillary. Frankly, they tend to make her look bad in general as it makes her surrogates and supporters look as if they are pulling the race card. I think it was just bad judgement on his part.

March 28, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  44. rose

Ed's remarks are no worst than pastor whats his name "Wright".

Its just sad...And he's the governor of the state.

How racist is that...maybe not. He's telling the truth how his state really feels about people of color...sad.

March 28, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  45. Peter M. in NYC

It is a fact that many – and I mean "many" – whites will not vote for Obama because he is black. Many will not vote for him because they think (wrongfully) that he is a Muslim or, perhaps not incorrectly, because he is a long-standing member of a pro-black church whose pastor's rhetoric is often anti-white in being pro-black.

As to Obama winning in places where people outright expected a black man to lose (Wyoming, etc.) he only won amongst Democrats who make up a much smaller portion of the state than Republicans. No one thinks Obama will carry those states in the general election.

I can't say that Obama will lose because he is black, but if he should win in the general election (and I would bet against him) it will be in spite of his color and will truly be a landmark event in this country's history.

March 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  46. Sarah

Randi.....

I am originally from Pennsylvania( near Pittsburgh) and I can tel you from experience that even Democrats there are more conservative. Obama's record speaks for itself, he will fight hard in PA, but the working-class people of all colors will respond more to Hillary Clinton's messege.

I fully expect, that come November, John McCain will carry Pennsylvania. It matters not who the Democrats' nominee is, she or he will have an uphill batter in wooing folks in the steel-town area where I'm from.

The little hamlets in western Pa are very conservative, and many of them will take offense to the latest Reverend Wright scandal.

March 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  47. Roger

Gov. Rendell may catch flack for his comment. But his statement about what he said was an understandable statement. If he thinks that conservative whites are predominantly in PA, and most probably wouldn't vote for Obama...then that is his opinion. Reporting on this though, seems to be just like the "gotcha" game that's been going on with Rev. Wright. And I don't think it's journalism. Will the masses come foaming at the mouth over this like they did with Obama's pastor? No, I don't think so. CNN has disappointed me in it's clear lack of substance as of late. It seems every time you get a chance to "break" a story, you take it without asking yourselves if this really matters....let's get beyond this...

And I'm an Obama supporter.

March 28, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  48. Paris

Randi, I am sure we can tolerate the Gov. comments after Wright.
    You wrote “yes, he went there” I ask you did Wright go there as well?
    Be honest and please judge the content.

March 28, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  49. April in Texas

Well I am white almost 39 years old 30k a yr income and I strongly support Obama. I can not see myself voting for someone who has throughout this campaign changing the rules as she sees fit. I could imagine that happening in the whitehouse changing views on issues and policies to fit her. This is just one reason I can not see myself voting for her but the list is long...

Obama 08
    Austin Texas

March 28, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  50. David

Hmmm...first Ferraro, now Rendell...it seems that all of Clinton's associates are trying to bring race into this, in a very...questionable manner.

Should we hold Clinton accountable for these comments the way that Obama is being held accountable for the words of his pastor?

I think so. And if you compare them closely, I think you'll find that Wright didn't say or imply anything NEARLY as nasty as this.

March 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm |