April 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/3/08

Tonight we have a special edition of 360. It’s called Race and Politics: Black in America and we’re going to spend the hour talking about race on the campaign trail. We’ll show you new polling data that offers insight whether or not America is ready for an African-American president. And we’re going to look at the impact race has on black superdelegates, and how it affects their decision on which candidate to support. All that and more tonight at 11p ET.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cynthia

Maybe Sen. Clinton did say in a private conversation with Richardson that Obama could not win maybe she didn't, but I'm also sure that in some private conversation of Sen. Obama he has said similar things as well. I don't see what the big deal is all about, they both think they can win, and in saying so they both have said that the other by default cannot win.

April 3, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  2. Shawn NYC

As this day draws to a close I am left with little confidence that this country has its head on its shoulders? The feds are lending more to wall street than ever and we have children and teens in schools that are just lost and confused. I have witnessed this first hand through my niece and her friends. This new generation want to be a part of this so called change but as the days wear on they are caught in Americas version of Telephone! Everywhere you look its a different story. I realize this is how the cogs work in the the machine that is politics, however I ask you will we ever achieve clarity or will we be run over by the machine we have worked so hard to build and support! As this day draws to a close how do you feel about our current situation and no matter how brutal, is it even possible to "keep them honest" Anderson?

-Shawn NY, New York

April 3, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  3. Terri

...any race discrimination should be dealt with sternly no matter who it's against...

Obama has let it slide one too many times...how would he be judged by others when he would have to travel the world to meet other foreigners, as all elected officials must do?

I'm sure Mccain or Hillary would have been damned had they had any ties to someone equal to Rev. Wright ........like David Duke.

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Lilibeth

Tell Erica please that we understand about her computer.

Is Anderson's computer not working too?

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  5. Paula Hardin

Did anyone NOT notice that the two ladies, I believe democratic senators, followed their remorks about race in the campaign by making blatantly racists and sexists closing rmarks? With brilliant smiles and charming delivery each said "how can we lose we are both black and we are women". That display expresses best that the majority are not honest with themselves about how race and gender affect their perception.Just because we are not unpleasant or disagreeable in the expression of our views doesn't change the facts. Any vote that is influenced by gender or race is indeed a predudicial vote. Racism at it's most alluring.

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  6. Erin

I dont believe that race should play a role in who will be the next president of the United States, we all bleed the same color red and we will all leave this earth oneday. Im glad that someone said that whoever loses the other will back the winner in the democratic party. Let's move on....

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Dwayne , CA

Why does the Gov. Rendell say that because a white is conservative they would not vote for a black person? Does he equate conservative with racism?

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar

Thanks Moderator......... I appericate that.......... Thanks for tell me, she have problem computer. See her tomorrow.

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  9. Rose from Southern Calif

I remember when MLK was assassinated I was only 10 years old, the only thing that i knew is MLKing was Black. What would he had said about what is going on now with Obama?.

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  10. Saera El Paso, TX

moderator- please tell erica we'll miss her!

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  11. moderator

anderson is having computer problems as well. sorry guys! tomorrow will better!

April 3, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  12. nadja

I really don´t understand well why US have so many labels to Obama as a Black guy, when the guy is 50% WHITE +50% AFRICAN (BLACK)
    I live in Venezuela, I am Spanish, Aborigen, Black and Mulato descendent. I look like white... but I have black and latino genetic despite my look!!!!

So What IF OBAMA were born white because his white family???? The racism approach could be the same???

Here everybody has some mixed black or white familiar so been racist is very difficult. I suggest with very respect US people should hear again the Obama speech about racism and figure it aout who represent better your country, somebody who is multiethnic or somebody who does not

April 3, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  13. Renee

Nice interview Anderson with the church Rev. tonight! He seemed geniune but sorry I still don't buy Rev. Wright and his sermons!

April 3, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  14. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Elle and Danielle

Please help me to see this as I see Barack as having to fight an uphill battle from day one. The facts are that Hillary is a very divisive person and this is not due to the fact that she is a woman. Her negatives fall in line with a lot of Bill's negatives while at the same time, she has earned some of those points on her own.

As a former Hillary supporter, her tenor in the campaign as well as Barack's own message led me to switching my alliance. I see a lot of the battle in the media against Hillary because she and her campaign had such an air of arrogance as they presumed that they had already won the nomination. sorry, but the PEOPLE have a say in this and the coronation has been delayed, hopefully permanently!

April 3, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  15. Christina

I think that the most outrageous thing that has emerged from the Wright controversy is the manifestation of blind patriotism in America. We can't automatically label his comments as radical and un-American – his comments were really not very radical, especially about the issues of Palestine and the US funding (indirectly) terrorism in the Middle East. Second of all, as Roland Martin wrote a couple of days ago, we really need to read Wright's entire sermons to understand what he really meant.

April 3, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  16. Lilibeth

Is Anderson's computer not working too?

April 3, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  17. Lilibeth

OK, Mr. Moderator, tell Erica please that we understand about her computer. Tell her hello for us please.

April 3, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  18. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Thanks for the info Mr/Ms Moderator......at least we can see Erica intensely reading something on her BlackBerrry

April 3, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  19. Zenta, New York, NY

I like the special program tonight, because not only racial issue in this country, but the program tonight mentions the strong relationship between politics and religion in this country, no matter what race each candidate belongs.

April 3, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  20. Justin

I've been told that a hurt dog will howl....for me to see America howling about race tells me that someone is still being hurt by this issue. Instead of continuing to howl about race we should lift our society above this issue.

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  21. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Aw! Too bad for Erica. Please tell her that we will miss her. =(

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  22. Fay, CA

I hope there is as much coverage of Trinity Church's conversation on race as there has been of Reverand Wright's controversial words.

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  23. Mike, Burley, Idaho

It really is too bad that racism exist today in our country. However America has to face the fact that it still exist. In regards to the presidential race for Clinton and Obama, America should focus on the historic events surrounding them. We have a women and a African American running for President. This is history live! The comments made by Rev. Wright were just that comments. Yes they were wrong but get over it and move on. Lets focus on the history being made. Lets focus on real issuse, economy, war, GAS PRICES, etc., not racism.

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  24. jahnara

Does Race matter? unfortunately in this country, and society and at this time Race does matter. Race should not matter. what should matter is who is qualified for the job. the discussions should be on how we as voting Americans evaluate QUALIFIED. is it enough to say Hillary is qualified because she sat in the oval office for 8 years as the president's wife; should we consider her failed attempt to overhaul the health care system. likewise, should we consider Borack's Harvard education and his ability to mobilize people from the grass roots through the middle class, should we consider his early work in national politics as a success. As i sit here looking at your show i wonder, does race really matter and still the answer is yes although it shouldn't. .

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  25. Carla Ontario Canada

I agree with Danielle and also add that everyone is tip-toeing around Obama. He has flip flopped on so many issues and statements he has made that is very confusing.. Just today he made a statement about gun control that contradicts previous statements.
    Your guests Eleanor and the other lady hit the nail on the head.
    Go Hillary.

April 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  26. Sean, Albuquerque NM

What issues are you people asking for? The reason the campaign has gone to this is because it was all about issues for a long long time. But around the time of the 21st debate of the election, people realized... Their views on 99% of the issues are exactly the same! The information is certainly not hard to find on their stances on the issues.

April 3, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Tyne,
    Me too I agree with you....... Roland is always right!

April 3, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  28. Rose from Southern Calif

I thought that when you go to church it should make you a better person and should make you happy and uplefting.

April 3, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  29. Margarette in Jackson, Mississippi

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, race still matters to a lot of people. More often than not, capabilities are overshadowed by the color of one's skin. I do believe a significant number of people are ready for change with respect to race. I'm a proud product of the Mississippi Delta and I appreciate the national discussion on race.

April 3, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  30. Misty O.

I am white woman married to a black man, and I told him that race was going to be a huge issue in this election, and blacks were going to vote for Obama because he is black. He did not believe me, but...
    I can't believe that this is such an issue. I am amazed that everyone keeps thinking of Obama as an "African American", when really he is half white as well. So what is the issue really? I don't think that any of our candidates are fully qualified to hold office, and now that we as a country are deciding that one is more qualified because of race or gender is ridiculous. I think this election is way beyond sensible, and am sick of it. Either your qualified and have the "right" ideas, or you don't. Everyone has their own opinion which they have the right to voice and vote the way they choose, and should not criticize and threaten those whose opinion is not the same as theirs.

I enjoy your show Anderson...thank you!

April 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  31. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

When I listened to the national committee of the Trinity church, they almost made it sound like they didn't like the fact that the media had made this a political issue and that this is the media's fault . I have to disagree. There is no "sacred conversation" about race that belongs in the church, nor any other political conversation. Church is not about politics but about spiritual growth. If the church wants to do something to change and eradicate racism in the world than they don't need to be speaking to other Believers but those who are within their community. I don't understand how the media is at fault for this when these churches are taping their services. Politics do not belong in the church and maybe that is why the churches within the United States are not flourishing, because they have gotten away from what their true purpose is.

April 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  32. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think you could call Rev Wright's sermon a conversation. Perhaps we could all realize that you can't converse with anyone who is screaming at the top of their lungs.

April 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  33. Alex

As politic continue once again, turn it to be black and white, and forgetiong that we all are americans, including the forgeting ones the Browns( hispanic).
    Why don we talk as american, and the trobles that involve all of us. black white,brown , and others. they are not white,black not brown soldiers. they are soldiers. they are not white,black not brown home owner, they are american home owner. and as we leave and die for america. we are all americans

April 3, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  34. Jamie Noel - Placentia, CA

You should have the congresswomen on regularly. I felt like you should have served them tea or something. Too cute. (In an intellectual sort of way.)

April 3, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  35. brandon becton

As an African American I am sick of this. Rev Wright is not Obama, and people are trying to handcuff them. As I stated before I thought Obama was the one candidate who transcended race. This is quite simple you have white people who will refuse to vote for Obama because he is black, and blacks who will vote for him just because he is black. Both are stupid!! I am a democrat MALE from Missouri, and I voted for Clinton in our primary. I'm going for Obama now because he is young, energetic, and I really believe in his words of change. I am tired of old hat politics, and the old traditional names, not because he is BLACK. I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime. We had better get back to the issues, because what I say with this administration we have now, is the color green, and that will only continue with McCain, who doesn't give a hoot about the foreclosures, and has little understanding of the economy, and wants to stay in Iraq 100 years.

April 3, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  36. moderator

hey guys...erica hill wanted me to let you know that she's having computer problems and isn't able to blog tonight. don't worry. we'll fix the problem for tomorrow.

April 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  37. jesus cabrera

Like Hillary said I care about winning". And that's all she cares about power and not about the country

April 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  38. Shawn North Carolina

Face it race still matters in America just look what you all are talking about right now.

April 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  39. Andrew, Lafayette IN

one week of just reporting on the issues. That would really help people decide who to vote for. Leave everything else behind and just report what's important. Nothing on gender or race...

April 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  40. Catherine

obama has almost spent more money on this election then there are people in the USA. Just tell me who is supplying him all this money .

Must be some heavy backers somewhere...........

I guess pushing the race issue is a shoo in for him and his campaign.

April 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  41. Tyne from Colorado

Sweet! I love Roland, he's always got it right.

April 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  42. TOCB

It is irresponsible of the media and the Democratic Party to suggest that Hillary Clinton should not assert that the Rev. Wright controversy is an issue that will hurt the Democratic Party if Obama gets the nomination. Obama showed a gross lack of judgment to have remained a member of that church for 20 years and not challenged Wright's doctrine if he wanted to run for statewide office or national office. No person, regardless of color, should be elected President if they defend somone who teaches Black Liberation Theology, White Liberation Theology, or any other color Liberation Theology.

I have never voted for a Republican for President. However, if Obama is given the Democratic nomination, I will vote for John McCain because I believe he is the next best prepared person to be President after Hillary. I am black and have attended black churches most of my life. I have never heard the kind of hatred from any pulpit that I heard from thte clips of Rev. Wright. I doubt this is a 30 second sound bite as Obama supporters and the mainstream media claims. Wright is said to be a leader in the doctrine of Black Liberation Theology.

This is not about Obama's race. It is about his judgment.

April 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  43. Carrie

Why does the media keep the race issue going?? There are so many more important issues we could be discussing. I'm getting so sick of hearing about the race issue.........give it a break already

April 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  44. Elle

To Danielle's post above.

Just fantastic your post and comment.I am tired of all crying foul on behalf of Obama.It is an outrage considering that we have a female candidate in Hillary that had to overcome insults,name calling ,attacks on her family,riducule of her clothing and yet it all leads back to that we somehow don't treat Obama fairly and how we must all handle with silk gloves while we don't offer that same to the gender issue.
    It must be okay to trample on a woman is the message this is spreading.

April 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  45. Dwayne , CA

I have to say it was refreshing hearing from the two Congresswomen deny that the comments highlighted on AC360 were racist. I truly think the media (all too often as usual) is over playing the race issue in parsing every word made by Hillary or one of her supporters.

April 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  46. Margaret Ontario Canada

On the issue of Obama's Church and his Pastor I repeatedly ask myself – if these are not Obamas beliefs why does he have his children attending this Church and likely it's Sunday School. I find this and the extremism very disturbing!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  47. Kimberly

I am saddened to see the turn against Hillary from the african american community. I manage people and see discrimination against white people everyday. The campaign has allowed me to realize even more that it is Still There!

I think we are ready for a black president , but not Obama .

I have nothing against Obama or his skin color. But I do have a problem with his associations...Wright, Farakahn and the Black Panthers. I have gotten the impression that they do not like white people, I don't care if they visit Obama at his home But I don't want them visiting OUR White House.

April 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  48. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Eleanor is a class act!!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  49. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Either one of the congresswomen need to consider running for President themselves. Talk about two well-spoken, eoloquent and classy ladies. Thanks for having them Anderson. That was wonderful and enlightening.

April 3, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Tyne,
    me too.......... I agree with you...

April 3, 2008 at 11:35 pm |