April 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/3/08

Tonight we have a special edition of 360. It’s called Race and Politics: Black in America and we’re going to spend the hour talking about race on the campaign trail. We’ll show you new polling data that offers insight whether or not America is ready for an African-American president. And we’re going to look at the impact race has on black superdelegates, and how it affects their decision on which candidate to support. All that and more tonight at 11p ET.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Patty

I enjoyed the two congress women. They are both passionate about
    their own candidates success but also willing to admit they will
    join the winner of the nomination in defeating the Republican ticket.
    Lots of us democrats feel the same way!

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  2. Terri

My job as an American is to hire the best candidate for President.
    For the 3 generations that will be affected by who I send to office.

Strip away the person and display all 3 candidates resumes and honestly pick the best person who can handle the difficult job at
    hand........and Hillary hands down is the most capable and qualified to be our commander in chief....
    and even though I vote Democratic, I would have to vote for Mccain (the second most qualified) if Hillary does not get the nod.

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  3. Joe

Sen. Obama has been saying for well over a year that Sen. Clinton is unelectable and polarizing. Now Sen. Clinton, according to Gov. Richardson, said that she said Sen. Obama cannot win in November. Your story tonight: Is Sen. Clinton playing the race card? I have been a loyal 360 viewer, but with a story like that tonight I do not know how I can continue to watch.

Isn't one of the reasons they are running is because they believe they can win in November. But when Sen. Clinton says it, you have a story about how she is playing the race card. It seems as though the campaigns haven't been playing the race card this primary season, but instead the media has been playing the race card to produce a segment or two.

I'm sure you could do better than that.

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  4. Beth in CT

I don't understand how people can say Obama is making this campaign about race...the Wright issue came to the surface and it has been non-stop in the media ever since. He responds to the issue in an attempt to end the confusion and yet it goes on and on in the media. The next thing we hear is, Obama is creating the race issue. ?? The only reason this rhetoric continues to cycle at its current level is because there's a long time between primaries and the campaigns are working hard to stay ahead of one another. I hope we can get beyond this as soon as possible and concentrate on the real issues.

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  5. Christopher - Atlanta

With regard to the super delegate question: after much consideration, I think that the super delegate is very fair. It took me a while to reach this decision, but I think that the super delegates really should vote their conscience. Some of them are elected officials, and some are not, but they all abide by the same rules and should be allowed to cast their vote based on their own personal choice. The people also have the right to vote as they choose, so if the super delegate votes against the will of the people, and the people choose not to re-elect them because that super delegate did not represent their wishes, then that is a choice or risk that the super delegate makes, but it is democratic all the same.

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  6. Sara, Oklahoma

Carly, our generation has helped bridge the gap, but race is still an issue. I think it will always be an issue to some extent, but yes, our generation is more open-minded, I think.

April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  7. EJ - Ohio

I hope that Hillary's numbers continue to go down in PA as she makes more questionable "misstatements" and "misremembered" events.

April 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  8. maverick g

The suggestion that the role of the super delegates is unclear is erroneous. Party rules afford super delegates the right to vote for the candidate they feel would best represent the party in the general election. There is no ambiguity and the suggestion that super delegates have an obligation to vote in accordance with the popular vote is simply wrong. This is nothing more than a fabrication put forth by the Obama campaign.

April 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  9. MO-MO, NEW JERSEY

Unfortunatley, race and gender will always continue to be an issue in America. I thought we have moved passed this but as you can see it is constantly being brought up. Anderson keep up the good work and thanks for "keeping them honest".

April 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  10. tdavisjr

Danielle

I am sick just like you and I am not a Clinton or Obama supporter. Brace yourself because this is what the general election will be like. If its McCain and Obama, then each time someone critize Obama probably by questioning his experience they will be called a racist. That's just the way it's gonna be.

April 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  11. April in Texas

I liked those two guests they were hillarious and yet reasonably calm.

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  12. Tyne from Colorado

Wow. for once I can agree with a Clinton supporter! AC360 is a mighty fine show.

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  13. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Well those two women were certainly refreshing. They made a lot of good points. Hillary didn't mention race at all. But the thing that I really liked was that they showed that democrats aren't as divided as the media makes it out to be. It's true that *some* polls show we are, but even then, the same thing was happening with conservitives and McCain.

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  14. Bob

The Congresswomen made wonderful guests. Would love to hear from their perspective more often.

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  15. bobby

i'm appalled at the bias that your show has toward obama. basically your telling the american public that we have no choice but to vote for him(obama). only he is honest, only he is truthful, only he can save us, because white people are all corrupt liars, racist bigots, and proponets of slavery, right? i challenge you to be fair to all skin colors, but i know that exterme wishful thinking, because black people have been so mistreated, that you feel the need champion them to the exclusion of all others, huh? i hope that one day we all can be judged by the content of our character, not the color of our skin, or judged by the SINS of our ancestors.

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

I really respect Stephanie Tubbs Jones! Stephanie and Eleanor are both great; nice to see some intelligent conversation for a change. Anderson, I think Ms. Jones has a point, why not focus on the issues?

April 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  17. Rick Hernandez

I vividly recall senator Obama questioning Senator Clinton's electability and no one in Hilary's camp pulled the female card. As a minority, I think the race card is played out!

Concord, NC

April 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  18. Lilibeth

Oh, I love those 2 women! I echo what they said! I support Hillary, but if Barack ends up being the nominee, I will wholeheartely support him and vote for him!

April 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  19. Slater

I wish the superdels would go one way or another so this does not divide our country.

GREAT contrast for the show with 2 African American women, Stephanie Tubbs Jones is a scream! Great contrast having them as supporters of either side.

Go Stephanie, you are beautiful! Eleanor is right...if either candidate wins they win!

April 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  20. Jolene

These two Congress women are refreshing to hear for a change. No bashing. I actually think the democratic party can unite after listening to them.

April 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  21. Kyle

Anyone who votes for someone based on race or gender alone is a shame.

April 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar

Justin,
    I am also disagree with you, I am 40 old years old, I am agree with Sara in OK....... can race next generation....

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  23. Sheryl - IL

I think we are finding in this campaign that race really isn't an issue nor is gender. It's unfortunate that people do still try to bring it in. I feel the Clintons use race and gender more than the Obama campaign. The best thing for everyone is to run on the issues. No more Rev. Wright please. After this election I do hope they get rid of the delegate system in both the primary and general election and just go by popular vote. The media can really help with this issue, don't you think?

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  24. Rose from Southern Calif

Why is Hillary doing wrong? Nothing? Maybe she is just to old? Because Obama is young and handsome? Or people just want a new kind of life for our kids.

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  25. Elle

Enough of this constant race issue stuff.Nobody can say anything any longer without the media crying out foul on behalf of Obama.
    While we have gender issues going on as well
    Where is the coverage of the difficulties as a woman candidate for presidency?
    Where is the outrage when reporters ask McCain how they can beat the ..tch?
    When the Obama camp points the finger stating she is untrustworthy this is not tconsidered big news here but when she states she can win and intends to do just that,then somehow this is a racially loaded question.
    In all elections I have witnessed the confidence factor was used,the casting of doubts to the other and never has it been constantly analysed as a race card.
    Have never heard you on your program say " well could the Obama camp have used that as a gender card " was this fair to use this attack on gender ?
    How can a network make an issue over a "he can not win statement"
    Obama needs to stop having the media crying out race attack for him and engage in a political battle in the same manner politicians have in the past.
    They had no shining armour like media fight the battle for them.

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  26. Bonnie

Bravo ladies–not wanting to talk about petty stuff!! Lets get back to the issues!!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  27. Naf in Pittsburgh

I am so tired of this Rev. Wright talk. But that's not even what bothers me the most about this "Black in America" segment. Why does the mainstream media address the "black vote" as though it's based only on race? Why don't we ever see stories about the "white vote?" Because, clearly, if black people only vote their race, then white people must do the same, right? Right. The idea that you have a panel of black people trying to discuss what other black people are going to do is just laughable, except it's the news, so it's not that funny after all. This is just offensive to me as a black person, but I would imagine that everyone should be offended that the media think voters are that dim.

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  28. Carly,AL

sara i agree with justin on this one im 20 and i think our generation helped bridge the gap....however i think that race is still an to that will forever be in our presidental races to come.....

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  29. Sara, Oklahoma

Come on. It is inevitable for race and gender to be brought up in this campaign. This country has never had an black man or a woman run for president. Of course it will be brought up.

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  30. Melinda

Thank you to both of these remarkable ladies! I totally agreed with both of them. What class acts!

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  31. Maya

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I love these two women! Drop this "He Said, She Said," stuff. AC360 is too good for this. Let's talk education, economy and healthcare or any other issue but race. Please move on!

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  32. Catherine

Why is everything Hillary or Bill says is racial, and, Obama can explain everything away with a smile and make all the hurts feel better?

We need help with the economy. NOW!

Obama and his fanatics have made this a race thing from the get-go.

They put their own words in the mouths of others to make them seem like they are being picked on for sympathy. THEY need to stop this and really be honest about change.

Not the same ole race card to get what they(Obamsiams) want.

April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  33. Lilibeth

These conversations about race are uncomfortable, but necessary. Because if we don't talk at all about this, we will never understand each other and move forward. Sometimes you have to brave the storm to enjoy the quiet later on...

April 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  34. Julia Glennville, Ga.

Bravo to your guest Mrs. Tubbs, wonderfully said and honest!

April 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  35. Patrick

Race does matter here in American, each form you complete ask the question, in all circles you are in there is talks about it and finally the house of god here in American is also divided by it "black churches and white churches".

As an immigrant I really did not know I was black until I landed on these soils. In other parts of the world people are just people it seems.

April 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  36. Christopher - Atlanta

CNN, thank you for covering Black in America. I think that a lot of people (who are not black) think that race is not an issue because they are not racist. I'm glad to know that they are not, but the truth is that they don't live on the other side of the tracks, they don't go into the black home, the black church, or just see things from that perspective. I have grown up in a time where race was really not an issue, but that does not mean that I have not seen nor experienced it first hand, because I have. What saddens me the most is the irony of it all. Because so many people actually feel that race is not an issue, the turn a blind eye and continue to do nothing about it. America is rich in it's diversity, and that should be celebrated, but that can't happen until people take the time to understand the other side. Don't just say you don't think it's an issue, so you don't understand why people make a big deal about it. Take some time to ask yourself the question, "Why do majority blacks think race still is an issue?" Then go a step further and try to understand.

April 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  37. Alma Sheykhani Fairfield, Ca

I am glad to hear that superdelgates are switching to Obama if that is what their constituents voted for. That is the way it should be. I dont want a repeat of what happened to Al Gore. The People have spoken and Obama will win. Keep up the great work Anderson.

April 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  38. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Stephanie Tubbs Jones is too cute.......you go girlfriend

April 3, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  39. Danielle

I am so sick of how supposedly everything said about Obama that is negative is somehow racist or coded racism. Today someone said he was arrogant at times and suddenly everyone was talking about the coded racism, that it really meant he was an uppity black – that is insanity. He says she can't win either, what is that? Why is that acceptable? She says he can't win and it supposedly has racial undertones? Why? Does that mean that every time he says she has bad judgment or something negative about her that, such as him saying she was throwing the kitchen sink at him it was sexist? There is no way I will ever vote for the man if because if by chance he won I would be on pins and needles afraid to say he made a mistake because I would be called a racist. The only ones interjecting Race into this whole race is the media and even Obama's campaign forever implying Hillary is making it about race, i.e.: the SC press release Obama's camp sent out and denied. BTW, Rev. Wright is an albatross around Obama's neck in the General Election. His judgment comes into play on that one, along with all his contradicting statements on the issue. I refuse to be blackmailed into voting for him. This makes me so mad I just went an donated $100 to her campaign and I am in NC.

April 3, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  40. MO-MO, NEW JERSEY

Why does Hillary have to flip-flop when she makes statements about Obama. Hillary has never come and admitted anything she has said about Obama including the statement of "he can't win". It seems to me she is very fearful of the inevitable that she cannot win.

April 3, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  41. Julia Glennville, Ga.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I watch the news every day and almost every day, without fail I watch Clinton make a speech somewhere and without fail, Later in the day I see Obama make a speec somewhere and he inverably brings up something she said to comment on, (re: the rocky speech etc.) Why is this? If he is so exprienced and has all these great plans for the country that is what I want to hear. I do not want to hear him attack her speeches day after day.

Why are the media assuming that Hillary's comments were race related? Why can't she just be questioning his electability in the general election?

Clinton being attacked at every turn is really sad.

April 3, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  42. samantha

It is pretty "typical" of white people being racist behind closed doors...it is something that black people are so used to! I'm not surprised that HRC is bringing up racial issues with all of the superdelegates behind the scenes...it's pretty "typical"! Anyway I'm happy all of this is coming out because this is exactly what REV WRIGHT was talking about! The Rev is not anti-american, nor is he a racist....he is just very well aware of what is going in this country....there's no secret that there is a history of institutionalized racism in this country...what's funny is when White people realize Black people are aware of it, THEY'RE SHOCKED! Black people will continue to support REV. WRIGHT because he is only speaking the truth and Black people are not anti-white, nor anti-american, we are just anti-lies and anti-corruption!!!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  43. Lesli

Billi

You are so right. Maybe that's what Clinton should do, since it seems to be acceptable that Obama puts the strong arm on black's voting for him.

After all, I assume that 50% of the voters are women.

Is it so wrong that Clinton wants to win?

Yes this is really much ado about nothing, and this does nothing but discredit a woman who would make a terrific President.

April 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  44. demo craxy

It is exhausting to hear Clinton over and over and over, on either race, sex, or lies, or blaming someone else..............it is tiring, please someone tell Billary to stop this crazyines.. the people have spoken, we dont want her

April 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  45. Judy

Anderson,
    I agreed with your panel with Amy Holmes, David Gergen, and Roland Martin, but what each failed to point out is that former President Clinton is the arm twister behind the scenes making race an issue in the Clinton campaign while Hillary is more or less being objective. Of course she heard the question concerning Bill Richardson and now she is back-tracking on the issue because Obama is making gains on her potential territory, Pennsylvania.

April 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  46. Christina, Windber, PA

What does HIllary's statement "He can't win" have to do with her ability to run the country? How does it clarify for us her stand on the issues and how she plans to solve the nation's problems.

If she didn't think she could win, why would she bother running?

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  47. Yen

It seems like every time Hillary or Bill Clinton says anything negative about Obama it's considered racist. By the way, is there any pressure on superdelegates to switch sides in states Hillary won? My guess is no.

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  48. Jamie Noel - Placentia, CA

Senator Obama made it very clear that he is disappointed in Rev. Wright's unamerican comments

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  49. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Linda, I really don't think he was condemning America, I think he was using that phrase to express his passion that there are serious problems in this country and we should be damned if we let them continue.

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  50. Jeff-Buffalo

Justin (from above). I am 25 and race is certainly still a part of this generation. To say otherwise is not taking a good look at the world around you. Take a walk outside of your comfort zone, out of your home town, and down an unknown street, and you will see what I am talking about.

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |