April 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/3/08

Tonight we have a special edition of 360. It’s called Race and Politics: Black in America and we’re going to spend the hour talking about race on the campaign trail. We’ll show you new polling data that offers insight whether or not America is ready for an African-American president. And we’re going to look at the impact race has on black superdelegates, and how it affects their decision on which candidate to support. All that and more tonight at 11p ET.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracey

Anderson,

Do you believe that racism is like being pregnant?

Either you are or aren't?

I really think there are degrees of racism.

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  2. Maggie C

Why does it seem everything falls to Hillary when it somes to responsibilty for saying or doing something negative about Obama?

As for what she supposedly said to Richardson ~ sorry, I wouldn't trust him any farther than I could throw him, after he joined Obama because of his concern "for his people".

April 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  3. Els

hey AC & Soledad

The program is pretty cool so far, I just checked out the webcam for the first time, pretty amaizing. This is actually my second time blogging since its launch, and I read that some bloggers sort of bash CNN for biased reporting. But it is what it is and for any work you guys do, there's always a critique for it. On another note, I think its pretty interesting to talk about race and gender as a "special report" considering the fact that its a major issue in America, with the elections and all.

April 3, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  4. EJ - Ohio

"I think race can be an issue in this election. Perhaps some of the voters (especially younger ones) never have experienced being discriminated against or understand the history here. If they did, they would be more open to discussions about race and understand the passion."

This is true.

April 3, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  5. Kayle

Democrats as a whole need to rise up and say nay to the entire super delegate fiasco. There is something just unconstitutional about it.

April 3, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  6. Sara, Oklahoma

I disagree with you, Justin. I am 19, and I think race is still an issue with our generation. I don't think it should be, but it is still there.

April 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  7. tdavisjr

Mr. Cleaver is RIGHT!! It's funny now that we have our first potential black President everyone is now trying to bend the rules a bit to make sure he wins. Obama's job is to try to convice the super-delegates to vote for him and it is Clinton's job as well. Putting pressure on black super-delegates to vote for someone just because he is black is insulting, and I am a black man.

Trust me when I say this folks, this country will be more divided when this is all said and done.

April 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  8. Edi Miami Florida

Same old story with Mrs.Clinton I guess this time she miss spoke again.

April 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  9. Khyla

I am very excited to see the beginning of the series, Black In America. I know that race in America is not where is was 40 years ago, but it is definitely not where it should be. Because Barack Obama is bi-racial, his African-American heritage heightened, everything is juxtaposed with race. I believe that, as the apart of the first generation of Blacks in America after the 60s civil rights movement, we have much to do in help establish racial and gender equity in this Nation.

On another note, I believe that it is very unfair for other Blacks to ask someone to switch their support to Senator Obama simply because he is Bi-Racial. Being Black or White does not make your policies to help our nation any better or worse.

April 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  10. Linda Rideau

Regarding Rev. Wright, the real issue is not race but his vehement and passionate damning of the USA. His speech is extremely unamerican. He condemns the US - he accuses the US of horrendous crimes. How can Sen. Obama stand up to Sen. McCain when he (Sen. Obama) sat in this man's church for over 20 years?

April 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Slater

All these polls, I am sooo confused. First it's the black guy, then the white chick. Like horses in a race. Gaining – losing- gaining – losing......

Something good may come of this yet, we may actually face our racism and work to rid our culture of it. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

April 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  12. Lissa, Montreal Canada

Anderson,

I love your show, and watch every night; the panels you put together never fail to provide insight and your questions never leave me wanting to ask my own.

I do have one comment, though. In trying to defuse the Rev. Wright scandal, it doesn't help, nor does it behoove your network, to keep airing the inflammatory footage. Surely there is other footage to be aired as the station breaks for commercials? We've seen too much of the tirade, and if we're going to help smooth it over, reminding the public is not the way to do so.

Keep up the awesome work!

A loyal fan,
    Lissa in Montreal

April 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  13. King

Anderson,
    Until the typical Caucasian, African American, Latino and Asian actually sit down and talk about the inherent differences, the conversation and/or debate on race will remain on the surface. This is a topic where scuba diving is required.

April 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  14. Jolene

April 3, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  15. Shawn NYC

Hey Anderson,

Wow so much in just a day has happened and as much as we'd like to sweep racism under the rug here in america it is very much prevalent in todays society. Its a shame but it is true. Living in a melting pot of a city such as New York, I find it difficult to process this ignorance. Anderson, I have watched you and now more than ever I believe you have the complete tool set necessary to lead the people to a better place and time. Knowledge is the tool and the key to a better future and AC you got it! PS: Nice to see Naomi has found a way to stay in the press (not having to do with fashion that is) what's her deal? It feels like with all this craziness that is the presidential race I'm finding it hard to help my nieces and nephew understand why this monumentous decision has essentially boiled down to a vote off...(the kind one would find on a Vh1 or Mtv program. I ask you.....Where has americas class and sense of self gone?

-Shawn NY

April 3, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  16. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Will this country be fielding gender and race questions for 4 years if one of them gets elected? Will it overshadow all the future Presidents duties? I wonder.

April 3, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  17. Justin

I'm 22 years old and it's strange to see race as such an issue for this campaign, because it has never been a big issue with my generation.

April 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Raeleen

People need to realize if we were all blind we would not see color or gender, so if we pretend we are blind and only listen to the candidates and there issues, you would here what they were saying not deciding because of what you are seeing.

Raeleen

April 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  19. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Too everyon who's saying that they don't see race as an issue, etc, I agree with you. But you have to accept that for the majority of Americans, it is. Civilization as a whole hasn't progressed to the point where race is just ignored as many of us do. Unfortunately, many people do only see a black man and a woman. And it's these people who may be deciding the election.

April 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  20. Danielle M

Race unfortunately is still an issue. I am Native American and we were here 1st but still sometimes very much viewed as irrelevant. However I think that some time the second class treatment sometimes serves as a catalyst to improve your situation.

April 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  21. lalene leav

It is clear why the media is bias towards Hillary Clinton ..people are too afraid to criticize Obama because they are affraid of being called racist. Look at all the people who have criticized Obama.. they were called racist when they actually are not.

April 3, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  22. Billi

Well, now, who is taking the higher road? I don't see the Clinton campaign pressuring WOMEN to change their votes for Obama but there is pressure on black superdelegates to switch to Obama.

Thank you Cleaver for standing up to this unfair pressure.

April 3, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  23. Val in Gainesville, FL

It's obviously too much to hope that politics and elections could evolve into something less petty than sex, race, religion, and more into just finding the best possible leader in our country. It's a real shame.

April 3, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  24. Maureen T

There you go, not all blacks will be voting for Barack Obama! So there goes the theory that Barack Obama is supported by the "Africian American vote"!

April 3, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  25. Clyde

Anderson,

I think your guests are tip-toeing around the question of whether Hillary is using code to indicate Obama isn't electable. She definitely is because, what exactly about him makes him unelectable? It can't be the issues because they are both so close. Granted she has won the big states and this is a strong for her but exactly what makes him unelectable? I've already told the folks at work that this is the case.

If you read some of the blogs which I'm sure you do I would say she has a point.

Clyde

April 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  26. Saera El Paso, TX

Casey Jones- that's exactly what i've been thinking!

April 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  27. Rachel- Gainesville, FL

Hello, Anderson!

I believe that judging a candidate based on race or gender is foolish. Americans need to see these candidates for who they really are and what they stand for than to take them at face-value. The times are changing, and a change in the face of politics isn't the most detrimental thing to ever happen to this country. Who you are on the outside doesn't necessarily show who you are on the inside, and I don't think this rule is an exception within politicians. It would be nice to have America truly embrace the world of diversity and to stop this over- stereotyping nonsense....

April 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  28. joni

I agree with Marie.

April 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  29. JV

i think to further the discussion on race all perspectives must be examined.

It's great that CNN is doing a series on how blacks feel about race in America, but it is also important for CNN to broadcast why whites are resentful of blacks. This is what obama said in his speech, that there needs to be more understanding between the races. it's difficult to do that when these conversations only happen in private at kitchen tables and family rooms.

both sides need to understand why the other is resentful of them. doing a series covering all perspectives would be helpful, i think.

April 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  30. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Oh Good Lord! What did Naomi chuck at someone now? Dispicable.

What is the deal with Hillary lately? If she is supposed to be so strong and a great candidate, why is she backing down anytime the going gets rough? If she does this now, what happens when she is faced with a national crisis?

April 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  31. carmela

Hey Anderson. Glad you dug into why the retraction. At least it confirmed she did not ultimately deny having said it. Bet you Gov. Richardson has it recorded LOL ,.. good work and good show as usual

April 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  32. EJ - Ohio

It's not simply the words "He can't win" – It's how they are saying it, what they look like when they are saying it, what their surrogates have been saying ALL ALONG – Many of you are gullible.

I don't hate the Clintons, but I can at least see what they are doing. It definitely has been a consistent tactic.

April 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  33. Melinda

Why is everything she said examined with a microscope for underlying racists comments? The Clintons were known for being huge supporters of blacks and civil rights. Why doesn't the media analyze every thing Obama says for chauvinist comments. Yes, there is racism and yes there is gender bias but why are we taking seemingly harmless things and turning them around to make them mean something they may not. Doesn't that just feed into it?

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  34. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

Obama's popularity has gone up since he discussed the issue of race in America. Being from Illinois, and knowing some of the things that go on in my own state, Obama's state, makes me question whether or not Obama is really aware of the problems that have come about due to race. I live about 20 miles away from a town that has no electricity, no running water, people are living in shacks, in a town that has no zip code and all the tax money they pay goes to another neighboring town, and the majority of the people who live there are African Americans. If we are going to talk about the issue of race in America then I expect Senator Obama to do something to help those who have been oppressed because of their race. Let's stop talking about race in America and do something to make it a non-issue.

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  35. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

When I look at Senator Clinton, I see someone sharp, shrewd, and much (politically) smarter than her counterparts. When I see Senator Obama, I see a brilliant, well-spoken birdge builder who can unifiy the country (a JFK of the new millenium). To go one step further, I see Clinton as the old guard (the "New World Order" old guard) and I see Obama as the future. I simply don't see someone who's black and I don't see someone who's a woman, AND I JUST DON'T CARE. AND, the media, including CNN and A.C. 360 are part of the problem in making this an issue. How convenient that it's now an issue, so the CNN talking heads have something to discuss and "report."

I can hardly wait 'til the election is over SO WE CAN GET BACK TO ISSUES THAT TRULY MATTER. We are so utterly self-absorbed and myopic in the U.S. Quite frankly, I'm just annoyed that 360 has become such a yawn because of this political garbage. I guess I'm participating because I'm that annoyed.

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  36. Kriss

Good evening everyone!! I finally get to see the show live for once since I miss it regularly due to evening classes....I have my dinner ready and I look forward to the show.
    Have a good show....oh and i gotta say I absolutely love Anderson and Erica together...they make an adorable pair! They should get married...lol i dunno how Erica's husband would feel about that, AC and Erica have amazing chemistry. Its so natural and beautiful!!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  37. Lesli

Anderson

Now you're examining every word Clinton says, not just every sentence or phrase. It really is getting very petty!

I'm tired of the words "mis-spoke", "mis-heard" or what ever.

Let's move onto the issues.

Melinda, you have an excellent point!

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  38. April in Texas

I am glad you are focusing on race as its an issue thats long overdue on being addressed. Those offended are normally those that also offend others IMO

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Yes! I am agree with you too Sara in OK

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  40. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Rofl Sara, same here.

Enough already! Rev. Wright isn't Obama, and holding Obama accountable for things he says is just silly!

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  41. Jennifer - Michigan

I thought that it was the wife asking for milk to bring home? But, what do I know.

April 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  42. Mary Schwartz

I think America is healing, and the youth are leading the way.

April 3, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  43. Billi

Anderson.........ENOUGH! on this race issue.........good grief.....give it a rest.........

PLease have a discussion of the Republican now talking about Obama's "glass jaw".........they are eager to run against him............please talk about that.........Rocky does not have a glass jaw and the Republicans know it..........

April 3, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  44. Raeleen

Hillary was dishonest AGAIN about the conversation with Bill Richardson concerning Obama, this is two lies from her, she has been caught in, isn't she getting the message??? unlike Obama who faces the issues with truth whether you like it or not. Wrights words are his words NOT Obama's!! Does Hillary really think we the American people are ignoring what she is saying?

Raeleen

April 3, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

Does anyone really believe that the Obama campaign really wants the Reverend Wright issue to go away? It is beginning to work to his benefit.

April 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  46. Jennifer NC

Someone get that camera-man some milk!

April 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  47. Jennifer

David hit it right on–Clinton could finally get out of this mess by rising above this and trying not to make an issue of it. I'm definitely supporting Obama, but despite this the whole dialogue she keeps pushing with Rev. Wright is disgusting. It's unfortunate that she consistently plays the race card, ad nauseum

April 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  48. Julia Glennville, Ga.

Good evening Anderson, Erica and crew. The special was great and a great job by Soledad. I too have to take issue at the way Clinton is being treated by the press. I love CNN, am a fanatic I guess most who know me would say. But, Clinton is being blasted every day for everything she says and does yet Obama is skating on every issue. She has been clearly and thoroughly vetted. Obama has not and some of the thing sthat have come out really need to be addressed and he needs to answer, clearly, which he currently has not.

On the race issue, how is this Clinton's fault? Obama was the member of this church and this man was his advisor.

Obama is the one that has made race THE issue in this election.

I feel that the special was wonderful but its timing was unfortunate and tying Obama to that wonderful and inciteful man is blasfamous.

April 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  49. Sara, Oklahoma

I am really getting tired of listening to Rev. Wright screaming on my television.

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

I am agree with Mary....... Thanks!

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |