April 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/3/08

Tonight we have a special edition of 360. It’s called Race and Politics: Black in America and we’re going to spend the hour talking about race on the campaign trail. We’ll show you new polling data that offers insight whether or not America is ready for an African-American president. And we’re going to look at the impact race has on black superdelegates, and how it affects their decision on which candidate to support. All that and more tonight at 11p ET.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sahira

This is absurd!
    I am not a Obama supporter but I still think any candidate who tries to play the race card against him is wrong. Its like saying Hillary can't win because she is a woman.

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Slater

LOL, interesting characterization of Clinton. Seriously, though, all these leaders are lacking in poise. McCain seems to be doing better by the day, and we wanted a Dem in the office...how will this happen if the country is this divided?

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Beth in CT

Hi Anderson and Erica! First time blogger and checking out the webcam – you have to have the coolest news program ever. Love the interaction you offer your viewers. Great program as always and getting better by the day – thanks!

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  4. Billi

You have to win and somebody will lose........the best line of the conversation. AFTER all the primaries are over and NOT before, please.

April 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  5. bk

Obama is talking to superdelegates also. So why aren't you bashing him? No its always what Clinton says anything to make her look bad. No matter what Clinton does CNN will always turn it around where she is wrong. As long as you give him a free ride it will be this way.

April 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  6. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Slater, I agree with you, 100%. I'm 17 years old (18th birthday 2 weeks after the election and it SUCKS). Anyway, I was lucky enough to grow up in a family where my father grew up in a black foster family.

I was talking to an old family friend of mine the other day, and he said to me he thought Obama wasn't electable because he was a racist. And from that and the whole Rev. Wright controversy, it's really been a shock to me that race could have any impact on this at all.

April 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  7. Sherryl, Atlanta

No we can't get over "this whole black thing"! "this whole black thing" is just as American as anything else. Sorry Slater if this bothers you!

April 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  8. Marie

Why would you even make the connection between "He can't win" to he can't win because he is black? Why would you even imply that she is making a racist comment?

April 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Brent, Roseville CA

The Clinton campaign telling Superdelegates that Rev. Wright is baggage around Obama's neck in the general election is the pot calling the kettle black. Her negatives in a November match-up against McCain are sky-high!

April 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  10. Kayle

Anderson I give you all of my credit. If I were you I would be passed out on my desk. Anyways idk how much race and gender is truly getting in the way. I think or at least hope that we have reached an age that things like that are out the window and that policies are more important. I mean more people have a problem with McCain being old than Obama being black.

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  11. Jo Ann

Anderson, Do you have any doubt that the Obama camaign is not saying negative things about Clinton behind the scenes?

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  12. Jolene

Love the "sign" the camera man shows every night. Keep it up. Puts a smile on my face.

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

That is exactly what both Clintons are saying, Amy Holmes. 'He cannot win because he is black.' That is the message they (& their surrogates) have been trying to get across. Rendell didn't just say what he said out of an urge to "tell the truth." Gimme a break.

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  14. Elyse

I had to DVR Soledad's special, but I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm glad you're doing a show on this, digging deeper into what the candidates are doing with this race "issue." I personally couldn't care less about race in this campaign, but it is nice to see what the discourse is behind the scenes.

lol, 'honey, we're out of milk.' I love this web cam

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  15. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I think it is absolutely ridiculous for HRC to say Obama "can't win" if she did say it (and I will give her the beneifit of the doubt) There is just as much stuff that can be pulled up against her during a general election. If she did say it, it was a very stupid move on her part.....although with all the misspoken comments lately it really is not a surprise

April 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  16. Melinda

So, if he said "She can't win" does that mean he's a chauvinist?

April 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Joy

I work at the high school in Malibu california
    a few weeks ago we had a death threat made against a group of black students....dont tell me race doesnt matter to young people, sadly it does

April 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Yen

I don't see the harm in Hillary saying "Obama can't win." Why is this considered racist?

April 3, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  19. Lawrence Smith

More Clinton lies and sleeze. She really would be a great Republican.

SHE CANT WIN, she is sinking very fast back into the mud she came from.

April 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  20. Alejandra Rodriguez- Waverly Ohio

AC, Your tie is crooked 🙁 he he he

What I really want to say is that although I am not political, I do see the impact racism has made in this country. I am Mexican and my family and I have been living by the rules for several years now. But still I see an ever-growing awareness that's almost a suspicion for us that are "different." My sisters are even bullied about it in school and they were born here. It's really a sad situation.

April 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  21. EJ - Ohio

Clinton is making sure that the situation is muddy (about what she said). Her campaign should be much smarter.

April 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  22. E.Bolton

Hi
    Let me just say thank you Soledad and CNN for the MLK Special its so sad that in 2008 race still is a big big problem in this country.

April 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  23. Saera El Paso, TX

Becca- i don't think any politician can give a straight answer to anything...

April 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  24. Brent, Roseville CA

David Gergen, Amy Holmes and Roland Martin. My three favorite CNN pundits! They are always on point, clear and concise. Wish they were on more.

April 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  25. Slater

Race doesn't matter, especially to the younger generation.

Good leaders matter, and I am afraid I see none up there again. Obama was looking good, but then all the cat fighting??He seemed to be transcending the race issue, but then he had to react, and, oh, the ties to Rev. Wright.

His campaign thinks that media is running the story over and over, but UTUBE is where most of the clips of Wright are, and those are submitted by the general public.

My feeling now is that both Clinton and Obama are dividing the country on many issues, and McCain is looking better and better, despite his age and his one fault: being republican.

April 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  26. Mary

You just reported a poll that states a lesser percentage of Americans are ready for a woman President than a Black – yet you persist to report on the race issue. Why don't you report on the gender disparity, the sexism and the sexist attitudes? Then somehow you would have to acknowledge Clinton and not marginalized her every which way.

And another thing. If Obama is raising so much more money then Clinton all these months, why doesn't he have the nomination by now, why can't he win the big states, why is the popular vote so close, why isn't this a slam dunk for him?
    By the way, Hillary can trash talk all day as far as I'm concerned – Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Perhaps Hillary feels Obama "Can't win." Maybe not because of race, but experience? Just a thought. Not saying it's correct, but do we all read too much into everything.

April 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  28. angela pink

Dear Anderson!
    I am happy that we can have a real debate about the race in this country. But let me remind you that even though, slavery was a terrible chapter in American history – we as Americans have seen a great deal of progress on this matter. I don’t know any other country in the world that have done so much for their people as much as America has done addressing issue of the discrimination. Let me remind you how far this country went from Dred Scott, Plessy to Brown v. Board of Education mind set and people like Rev. Wright widening gap that been narrowed by civil right movement years ago. And one more thing: LOVE not HATE can help us to get beyond the race discrimination issues.

April 3, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  29. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Good Evening Anderson.

Anxious to hear what you are going to discuss regarding PA Gov. Rendell's heinous comments. I can tell you as a resident of suburban Harrisburg, PA, many people here are not happy with what he said. Lots of us feel that he has made us seem like idiots. It is insulting and a poor description of the residents of his state. We are hoping that he soon sticks his head back in the sand. What a mess.

April 3, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  30. Jolene

Hello Anderson and Erica: Looking forward to the show. I often think the whole race issue is more around awareness and understanding of what African Americans have experienced and gone through historically as well as today. I hoping to get enlightened tonight.

April 3, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

The Clintons have been trying to use "code" several times. I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first few times then after that I was extremely annoyed by both of them.

They know how to play politics very well and use those "codes" and let certain situations simmer.

I wish they didn't feel they had to resort to such tactics.

April 3, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  32. Becca

It seems as though Hillary can never give a straight answer when she is put on the spot. She has either "misspoken" or she side steps the question.

April 3, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  33. Saera El Paso, TX

Jessica- well said

April 3, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  34. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I don't understand why some people have an issue with Senator Obama being an African American or Senator Clinton being a women. There have been many tensions and prejudices in the past toward African Americans and toward women but I why should that affect the way people vote today? If Americans are going to vote according to race and sex then we have not in fact put aside those prejudices of the past and we need to re-examine where society stands on these issues of race and sex.

April 3, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  35. Andrew, Lafayette IN

someone is always going to have a problem with race, gender and whatever else might come up. We just have to learn to move on.. and not allow it take over the issue...

April 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  36. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson! We're hanging out a little later tonight! Only for AC360 will I stay up later! 🙂 Soledad's program on Martin Luther King Jr. was excellent!

April 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  37. Sean

Looking forward to a good show, the mlk special was very interesting.

April 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar

Hi Anderson, Erica and Bloggers!

April 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  39. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

As for a woman being president, if this country were ready for it gender wouldn't be an issue either. I hope that one day race and gender will not be an issue at all.

April 3, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  40. Carla Ontario Canada

Again, Soledad does a great job. I was too young to remember,5yrs, but I found it very interesting and informative.
    I do think we have come along way, however, there is still progress to be made for all races. I was always told to treat others as you would want to be treated. Looking forward to the show AC.

April 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  41. lene

I am not a Democrat nor pro Hillary but you have become really bias towards senator Clinton, it makes your show quite fusturating to watch. Every mistake or comment she makes you either over exagerate or plant seeds of skepticism in the viewers head. If you are going to question every word they say, please do it with the other candidates as well. Please, do not become bias like the other media outlets. I believe CNN is the most reliable news source but its becoming harder to think this way.

April 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  42. Dusten, SC

Honestly, I think CNN does some excellent special investigation news stories but I just wonder why there is so much coverage of the African American influence in politics lately. I would really like to see more stories on how other ethnic groups view this election because it is not just a black and white America anymore. I think this focus on Black America is offensive and insensitive to other cultures who have struggled to come to America in the most recent years.

April 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  43. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good Evening Anderson and Erica

Looking forward to tonight's show. Soledad's MLK piece was really well done and 360 will just build on top of it. As someone who came along long after MLK's death it is always interesting to learn about MLK and it is important to try and keep the words and dream of MLK alive today

April 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  44. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

In my opinion if this country were turly ready for an african american president race would not be an issue.

April 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  45. April in Texas

Hello everyone.

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  46. Terri

Hi anderson. Have a good show!

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  47. Slater

Wow, I actually get to watch the show live tonight.

I wonder if MLK lived, would our economic state be different? Would race relations be different?

Great investigation tonight. Sorry for James Earl Ray.

Can we get over this whole black thing?

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Thanks for the CNN Presents on Dr King. I learned something new tonight.

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  49. Zing-Zing, Canada

With the later show tonight, we're all going to need some coffee... well, iced coffee for Anderson, right?

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Brent, Roseville CA

Good evening Anderson and Erica! The Special on the MLK Assassination was excellent. Kudos to Soledad!

April 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |