April 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/2/08

Breaking news tonight – and only 360° has it. Exclusive new information about your safety in the air. Congress is investigating but tonight, a pair of whistle-blowers talk only to CNN's Drew Griffin, telling us the FAA is more interested in protecting airlines than protecting us.  We're keeping them honest.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our new live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Pamina

It's always interesting to listen to commentary about the election. I wonder how much influence at this stage of the campaign, reports of polling has on this Pennsylvania primary. I would imagine it has some, but can it move numbers enough to change the outcome of the election?

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. EJ - Ohio

Livia,

"What is this thing about Obama offering Gore a job? Gore is above him…… is Obama using again his judgment?
    I think this would be more insulting to Gore….."

I believe that Obama was responding to a question.

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Tannis

Hey guys,

One question that I have.....

What are the general thoughts of the troops fighting overseas.....are they for McCain and want the war to continue or are they for Obama and want to come home to their families. Have they had a vote during all this? How does that work?

May be a little off topic but gotta post when you get the chance!

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

theres Erica....you hide nicely behind those cameras ;P

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Polls are polls. Until it's time for Pennsylvania to vote we really won't know anything.

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. gaily

Sorry, Hi Erica!!

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Kayle

Why dont Obama's stories ever die. We've been listening to the same clips of Obama for a month about the pastor now we have spent a week having to listen about his bowling score, its not that interesting.

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Elke, FL

Flying weekly is part of my job, so everything concerning air safety concerns me as well.
    Flying has become such a hassle over the last few years, it ain't fun anymore and I wish more would be done to increase customer satisfaction and makes us frequent flyers feeling more safe.

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Diane N.

Cool! Erica's got a pic too!

April 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Lesli

Okay, I love the show, l love the webcam, I love the blog, I really like the pictures and red ink added, but its really getting hard for me to solve the sudoku at the same time with all this going on!

April 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Mike Rodrigues

nice little stunt that camera man pulled. Don't u just love ignorant people!!?? Just drives me nuts!

April 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Erica Hill

Renee, no mood pix, sadly... but since we're ALWAYS in a great mood at 360, we dont need 'em! 😉

I know a few have you have noticed the delay on the webcam - it can be as long as 30 seconds sometimes. It's just the time it takes for the images to be encoded and sent out to your desktops.

April 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Kathy, Chicago

I liked Joe Klein's idea about calling in Al Gore if things get messy. Obama could be VP

April 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. EJ - Ohio

That guy shouldn't have been able to get so close to Obama. What an annoying loser!

April 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. gaily

Hi from Ontario, Canada Anderson & Eric, You two make a great team!! Love the webcam.

April 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

The Clintons have been semi-campaigning in Pennsylvania for some time now. Obama has only been campaigning for a few weeks and he has already nearly cut her lead in half.

April 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Livia

Anderson,
    nice to see you always.
    What is this thing about Obama offering Gore a job? Gore is above him...... is Obama using again his judgment?
    I think this would be more insulting to Gore.....
    And the Airlines, how disturbing. Where is this world going?
    There are people – like you, like Al GOre and others who do care about well being of this world, and then there are those who think about themselves only, or they do not think at all...
    going to tv to see you at 360, also I like Erica alot.
    thanks

April 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Kathy, Chicago

Hi AC. Cute photo! I'm glad I'm not flying anytime soon.

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think polls are going to be anymore accurate in PA than any other state. We will have to wait until election night to really say what voters voted the way the polls predicted.

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Diane N.

Hmm...handsome devil in that photo up there;P

Listen, I gotta say, hearing about this aircraft story is a bigger scare than well what's the only other scare in the air ? hmm maybe terrorism?! I wasn't afraid to fly a month after 9/11 and continued to fly back and forth from the southeast to NY back then, now...I'm terrified after hearing this breaking story to fly anywhere! You would think that maintaining the plane would be top priority and on a constant level.

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Christine

Does anyone care about anything else besides pictures & web cams.
    The airline story was fine, but right away we go in to Obama land. Gee what a surprise, I could not in good faith vote for him if he ran alone.

Do you have any real news anymore? Or just feel good stories and political stories?

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. Duck

Why would the FAA ground the Southwest planes but not American planes??

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Ronald Baker

The reason I stopped flying 8 years ago was my total discomfort with the belief that airlines actually scheduled and performed the proper maintenance on their fleet. The average American forgoes performing maintenance on their vehicles so you have to believe in an environment where profits a placed above everything else, the airlines do as little maintenance as possible. Nobody's watching. They're playing the odds everyday on one day their clients are going to lose.

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Tiff- Allentown, PA

It's alot easier to find Anderson and Erica's posts now thanks to the pics and red font! Thanks guys!

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hey Anderson and Erica! Love the photos. That is sweet! And now we can see when you guys post easier. At this time of night that really helps! LOL.

This plane thing freaks me out. And right when I want to go to Paris. Yikes! Maybe I will wait a bit.

it always makes me hesitant to get on plane that looks like it was built by Henry Ford. daunting to say the least. Makes one want to count rivets. LOL

April 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Mike Rodrigues

That Barack incident with the camera man looks interesting.

April 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Tony

Here we go again... More companies in this country that deferring maintenance that puts people at risk. I haven't travelled in a number of years because it's kind of scary to travel to foreign lands these days because everyone seems to hate us... Thanks to Bush. Now, we have to worry about weather we will make it to our destination alive.

April 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Andrew's hit on an important point. Why doesn't the U.S. develop a rapid rail system like Europe has?

Our present rail system is also in bad shape and needs lots of work.

April 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

No matter how much time the media spent on the Black vote, the women's vote and the Hispanic vote, I always felt it would boil down to the White male vote, especially the blue collar workers, and that is just how it is turning out.

April 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Big Dee, TX

Anderson, sometimes meeting the air worthiness criteria can be daunting for an airline. These aging air craft are expected to operate eight hours per day. I assure you that the maintenance on these aircraft are several times that of a simple automobile.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. slater

Southwest was the very airline I flew this past holiday season. I vowed never to fly them again because they treated us like cattle. How can you maintain planes when you are dropping off passengers and loading new passengers on in 20 minutes? Turn and burn = crash and burn!

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Lesli

Should the amount of money raised by a candidate be the deciding factor to elect a candidate? Shouldn't the number of people who vote for someone matter, and not the money raised?

I think I just heard Michelle Obama say "he's raised more money".

Is this a boast. The money Obama raises is used for commercials, and if its commercials that are getting him elected, rather than the issues and the way he will solve them, there is something wrong here.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Ken in Tennessee

Great show and love the webca,... also, Erica is a great addition to your show. Love her wit and adorable smile. Thanks.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Carly,AL

ok this air line stuff is well scary....im about to fly myself for a mission trip in like a week and a half......any tips to calm my nerves????

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Maureen T

Let's face it, both Hilary and Barack are saying the same thing! The only difference is one is a woman and the other is a man!

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. R, California

Hey Anderson,

Cute picture by your post! Love your live blogging post-it notes.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. joeann

flying is never easy ! something onething you had no control of . hope that get too next stop stafe. with your bags

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Jennifer - Michigan

The studio is very nice. I like the pan across the room. Interesting.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Ava

Good point Andrew

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Becca

So jobs are an issue in Hillary's campaign..just something I heard.

April 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. paul

So I wanda who is watching the FAA. They should have been grounding these planes a long time ago. I know that Continetal Airlines also has these problems but they have not been grounded. What is going to take? I believe it will take a bad accident to get FAA on the ball. What do you think?

Paul

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Canadian girl- Ontario, Canada

Anderson,
    Can you provide some clarification. I sometimes see you reading the telepromter during the breaks. What 's up with that?
    I find this behind the scene thing fascinating.

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Betty Ann

Geez Anderson~I am surprised that your poll shows Obama closing the gap in pennsylvania. Every other poll shows Hillary gaining. What poll is this anyway? Cnn does not endorse Obama?

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. mona

Hey everyone, AC nice seeing your picture.
    Airline story is very distressing, we can't drive, gas price is off the roof.

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

I put little faith in polls because they change so quickly and it depends on who is taking the poll. They are merely a snapshot in time.

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Monica

Disturbing and scary.... maybe it's time we give up airplanes and try some different way of traveling, trains have always seemed pretty fun.

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Ray

CNN has actively sought to destroy Hillary Clinton's chances. One only needs to count the number of times they have aired positive stories about her versus those of her opponent. CNN has crossed the journalism line and no longer makes any effort to give the impression of being unbiased. This should be of concern not only to Clinton supporters but also to Obama supporters. We are bogging on any news agency and television websites calling for all Clinton supporters to look for other sources of news and boycott CNN.

April 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. E.Bolton

Just notice Erica's pic thank you

April 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. laura, NYC

obama's fed a baby cow, gone to a chocolate factory, and gone bowling. sounds like every kid's dream! i wanna run for president... c'mon hillary, look at all this experience he has!

April 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Maureen T

Does Barack get the educated, white male vote? Or does that not matter? Is it all about the working class white male?

April 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |