April 1st, 2008

An early look at 360° tonight

Good morning all...  What’s on your mind?  We’d like to post a quick thought from you on the blog..

Tonight, as John McCain yucks it up with Letterman, and holds a Town Hall in Virginia, Dr. Sanjay Gupta looks at his health. McCain has battled melanoma and says he has "more scars than Frankenstein." We'd like to hear, to what extent should voters consider his age and health in this race or... has he already proved himself more vigorous than the rest?

Tom Foreman examines why–despite predictions that this is the Dems' year, and complaints that McCain is old, inexpert on the economy, and out of touch with voters on Iraq–he's winning!  Yes, the latest poll shows him beating Hillary Clinton AND Barack Obama in one-to-one contests. Is he that good...does he have some magic that people haven't fully recognized? Or are the Dem candidates hurting each other more than people have fully recognized?

Dana Bash interviews John McCain today. We'll see what he has to say.

Candy Crowley tracks Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in Pennsylvania, as Clinton says calls for her to quit the race give all the more reason for her to stay in it.

Sean Callebs is Keeping Them Honest, as a Congressional hearing examines whether the CDC failed to protect the public's health when FEMA sent toxic trailers to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

And, we watch for severe storms threatening the Mississippi Valley.

Thank you for your thoughts.

-Barclay Palmer, 360° Senior Producer

Filed under: Barclay Palmer • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Marlene Linville

Anderson,
    I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am for the Shank family.
    Thank-you CNN, Thank-you for waking up Wal-mart and even though it had to take Wal-mart as far as to actually see how it would feel to get pinched itself by having people boycott the store. It would have cost them less, if they had only given in sooner. But I still must say thank-you to Wal-mart for doing the right thing.

Marlene L. ( North Carolina )

April 2, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  2. julius silva

Two questions for Obama

1) Your father was from Kenya, but the only father figure in your life until your teenage years was your stepfather, who was your stepfather?

2) You have stated that Pastor Wright converted you to christianity some twenty years ago, what was your religion if any prior to being converted?

April 1, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  3. Mildred

Can you explain why you and other anchors/reports refuse to say the dem president race is a tie and this primay should continue to the convention. Ask hard questions and stop the hips.

Lou Dobbs is the only person that stated the press has been calling Obama the so call elected president. Sen. Clinton is a strong woman and I am impress with her determination to take this to the convention.

I hope the people callilng for her to quit remember that women are their mothers, daughters, sisters and etc,

April 1, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  4. McGee, The OC

The Dems should be up 15-20 points over the Republican nominee by now . . . this election should have been a no-brainer. But somehow, someway . . . they have brilliantly managed to start their own mega-war . . . which apparently , in the minds of voters, is now dwarfing the one in Iraq. As a Republican, I can only say "Well done, Dems, do carry on ! "

April 1, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  5. Rob, Arvada, CO

Tom Foreman is correct. The Dems, namely Clinton and Obama have been hurling fireballs at each other, while McCain sits back and laughs. It is no wonder he is ahead in the polls.

April 1, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  6. sherry

Doesn't Hillary realize that she is comparing herself to Rocky Balboa who lost to the black boxer Apollo Creed?

April 1, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  7. Renee

Quick Question on the FEMA trailers that is just bothering me. How can people be buying and selling FEMA trailers on Ebay and Craig's List?

The reason why I ask is I am trying to purchase an RV myself and just thought, well, I didn't want to purchase my RV from the same manufacturer of the FEMA trailers. In researching these trailers, I have found tons of these FEMA trailers all over Ebay and various local newspapers.

Did FEMA auction off these trailers and sell them to people or are they in fact stolen goods? Then again I would think they have a tag and registration. Anyway, just curious to know.

April 1, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  8. C. Paul Wanio, Ph.D., LMFT

There should be no surprise regarding the young boy who brought two loaded guns to school. As a psychotherapist, what I am most trianed to do is to notice one's "blind eye." When it comes to our schools and our youth, our collective "bind eye" could not be greater. Do you think a study will one day arrive, resulting in us saying, "Oh, so THAT'S the problem!" No, we have enough information. What we lack... is the will to put it into practice. It's like the person who comes into therapy wanting help... and resisting it at the same time. The "resistance" is the "blind eye," the denial. Without dealing with that, no solution will suffice.

April 1, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  9. Dee from Canada

Anderson, you really should start concentrating on how out of hand the Obama supporters are getting. Including CNN reporters like Cafferty and Martin. Martin is so ridulous, yelling and screaming and in denial about Wright. Read Cafferty's questions and some of the comments he has on his blogs. Some very scary comments coming from Obama supporters. Even talk about riots if they do not get there way. Obama should tell his supporters to relax. Makes you wonder who is more racist. And, hmmmm, Wright has not retired.

April 1, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  10. Eugenia

My thoughts about the Katrina disaster, I have thought many times through out the last few years.

I watched on the NASA satellite Katrina coming, it was most astonishing yet scary storm I have ever watched.

If Katrina would have happened in So. California or Washington D.C. things would have been so different. Then to add insult to injury they stick the surviors in toxic trailers. How is it that as a society we have the right to choose who is worth protecting?

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. "
    WS

Does anyone realize that Haliburton opened up shop in Lousiana, 2 months after Katrina?

San Francisco, Ca

April 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  11. Scott in Washington State

I recall hearing that Senator Clinton's strategy was to wrap up the nomination on Super Tuesday–to the extent that her campaign was not sufficiently prepared to contest primaries immediately after Super Tuesday.

It this is accurate, doesn't that call into question the Clinton campaign's concerns that ending the race now would disenfranchise voters in upcoming primaries? That is, the reason to continue the race is (partially) to let the voters in the ten remaining primaries have their voices heard.

The Super Tuesday strategy is one that, by their logic, essentially disenfranchises all of the states after early February. This didn't seem to be a concern of the Clinton campaign back then.

I suppose consistency rather than hypocricy is too much to hope for in campaigns. Isn't it likely that were the roles reversed, Sen. Obama would be getting it from all sides to get out of the race for the good of the party?

April 1, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  12. Susan

Barclay:

Senator John McCain has the life experience and wisdom that only
    comes with age. People view Senator McCain as a true patriot that loves his country and served it with distinction.

As a seasoned veteran of the United States Congress, he showed his ability to cross party lines and make those votes that were not always the popular ones i.e for amnesty, against the Bush tax cuts, against earmark spending, for the surge in Iraq.

When that phone rings at 3:00AM, I believe that many people would like to have Senator McCain answering it.

Why do they have to hold hearings on the FEMA trailor debacle? This is a no brainer. The CDC failed to protect the health of its citizens. I do not need to hearing to know this.

Senator Clinton should not be asked to leave the race. There are ten more primary contests to go. Each individual should get to vote for the candidate of their choosing. This is one of our rights in this country.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

April 1, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  13. Penny

Hi Anderson,
    Keep him honest John McCain is OLD and a Vietnam Veteran Can you ask him if he has "FLASHBACKS" of the Vietnam War???
    BECAUSE....................!!!!

April 1, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  14. Bill

Anderson,

I think that people worry way to much about the health of John Mc Cain. He has gone through torture and 5 years of POE. If he sees himself fit enough to run, then he probably is.

April 1, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  15. Connie

McCain's age will make me look more closely at his VP nominee. Although Obama is trying to sell himself as more conservative than Clinton, I believe the opposite is true. I don't believe a McCain whitehouse would resemble a Bush whitehouse and would not vote for him if I thought it would. I am concerned about the war and favor giving McCain a chance–too bad he didn't have more input at the beginning but I also am concerned about social programs and I know they are a driving force for Hillary. I don't like the way the war has gone but the wild promises the Dems are making are scarey. I have to admit that Hillary's promises regarding freezing interest on home mortgages, etc. are terrifying to anyone who has had even an elementary economics course but from what I see (which isn't much in the media) her record in the senate shows her to be much more level headed. I like the fact that she voted to give the President the power to begin the war and that she has voted for the support of the troops in the war. The country needed that unity at the time. Bush botched the execution and no one could know that when the vote was taken,

At the moment my November vote will still go to McCain but the VP choice could change that.

April 1, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  16. LL Chicago IL

A sizeable share of McCain's success is attributable to him - he is a moderate and capable of capturing independents on his own. However, he is clearly benefiting from the infighting among the democrats which may be all he needs to put him over the top. I consider myslef an independent moderate and am a support er of Obama. I would NEVER vote for Hillary Clinton in a general election.

April 1, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  17. Paul

Why does the press continue to allow Hillary Clinton to talk out both sides of her mouth? On the one hand, she wants everyone's vote to count. On the other hand, she wants pledged delegates to be free to change their minds and superdelegates to override the voters if necessary to elect her. Nobody at CNN has raised this obvious inconsistency with her surrogates.

April 1, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  18. susan - texas

It would be interesting to have Anderson spend a day on the campaign trail with John McCain. He should be getting the same coverage as the other candidates.

April 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  19. drzoon

At that time Hillary Rodham was 27 years old. She had obtained a position on our
    committee staff through the political patronage of her former Yale law school
    professor Burke Marshall and Senator Ted Kennedy. Eventually, because of a
    number of her unethical practices I decided that I could not recommend her for any
    subsequent position of public or private trust.

(she was caught lying. and it wasn't a "mis-speak" or "mis-remember". this was the real mc coy. a big one and a very dangerous one)

April 1, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  20. sherron lout

I would like to know if ANYBODY and I mean anybody going to actuallly discuss what they think Hillary Clinton would be saying if SHE were the one with the Most Elected Delegates, Most Popular Votes and had won the Most States? You know if it had been Obama that had broken the rules concerning Florida and Michigan and were stating they needed to be seated at the National Convention that Hillary and Bill would both be screaming at the top of their Clintonite voices that Obama broke the rules and they are ahead and they think for the good of the party...that Obama should drop out of the party. If anyone thinks this wouldn't be coming out of the mouths of Hillary and Bill.....then their heads are stuck in the sand. Hillary's not a fighter....she's just pissed off she and Bill thought that because He was the President at one time, that she should automatically be elected without all this other mess coming in to play, as Bill states it. This lady will go down fighting with blood hanging from her panty hose and polyester pant suit until they have to haul her off in an ambulance. Come On Hillary, I can hear the words coming out of your mouth now, if the roles were reversed!!!!

April 1, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  21. Debbie, NJ

Are these polls asking who would you vote for if Hillary loses, Obama or McCain, or if Obama loses, Hillary or McCain? If so it is not a fair poll. I don't believe Dems when they say they will go Rep. if their candidate doesn't win. Why would adults hurt themselves and their families to spite Hillary or Obama. That's immature and stupid.

April 1, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  22. Judy Stage Brooklyn MI

Barclay, In my humble opinion John McCain is too old to hold the office of the presidency. His bout with melanoma also would tell me that something is eating away at him and although medicine has cured him for the time being, it will return. It may seem that he is vigorous etc but have you listened to the fatigue in his voice and the underlying anger in some of his comments. His smile seems forced and he seems pretty well staged to me. The only relaxed person on the campaign is Barack Obama.
    I am the same age as John McCain and i surely would not vote for myself for that reason alone.
    John MCCain's identity is aligned with war rather than peace and that turns me off. I would not vote for anyone who believes that the Iraq war must continue because America has to win.
    Now, aren't you glad you asked for some thoughts?

April 1, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  23. Penny

Hi Anderson,
    Hillary and John McCain are just too OLD to be a president. Furrthemore, John McCain is VIETNAM VETERAN. A lot of those guys have flash backs after leaving the WAR. He could " SNAP in the middle of any function during the TALKS of WAR with any foreign leader. He is "SCARY. It is a well know fact about any war. That is SAD!
    He has served our country. Now he should go and REST.

April 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  24. Jolene

Barclay: Here are my thoughts about McCain. I guess I'm not so concerned about age, as much as I am about his well-being and attitude. As they say "You’re only as old as you feel" and I think McCain's mother is a great example of that! With that being said, ageism is still alive in this country and just as we have focused on race and gender during this election year, I wouldn't be surprised if ageism doesn't become a topic of discussion. Whereas on the one hand, the older candidate can be perceived as having experience and judgment, on the other, they can be viewed as unwilling to change, set in their ways, or as I fondly describe it "stodgy".

Unfortunately, it is assumed that your health will become more of an issue as you age. However, none of us can predict what disease we are going to get or what body part is going to fail us next, regardless of age. To me, it just makes the importance of each candidate's running mate that more critical. After all, it is the V.P. who will be first in the presidential succession line if anything were to happen.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

April 1, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  25. R.L Preston

I would like to know why CNN hasn't aired the story regarding Maggie Williams, Clinton’s campaign manager who served on the Delta Financial Corporation and advised the now bankrupt sub-prime lender for seven years, according to the Security Exchange Commission. Williams was recruited for the board after the New York-based lender came under federal scrutiny for discriminatory lending practices. If this were Sen. Obama's campaign manager this story would have been aired by all mainstream media just as the Rev. Wright story was played over and over again!!! This story of Maggie Williams is very disturbing because it raises the question of whether Hillary Clinton "knew" that Ms. Williams was involved with these seedy practices and had only ended her close relationship with the lender just two months before she became a top Clinton adviser.

It also calls into question if the Clinton’s have investments in or have profited from companies like Delta Financing? The campaign continues to stall on the release of the Clinton’s tax returns and have worked feverishly to keep the list of donors to President Clinton’s library under wraps. Wonder why?

I'm sure CNN and other mainstream news media has heard of the allegations against Ms. Williams but because this would cast an unfavorable light as well as question the Clinton's involvement in the very thing she (Hillary) claims she wants stopped CNN has apparently turned a deaf ear and blind eye to. Again if this were Sen. Obama's campaign manager CNN and the like would have questioned his involvement, delved further into his financial records, not to mention asked tireless questions of how he could hire someone as his top adviser who had been on the board of one of the nation’s biggest culprits in housing scandal. It's clear there is a double standard that CNN upholds!

April 1, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  26. Jane, Los Angeles

I think people haven't been paying attention to McCain yet, so they're simply responding to his demeanor and reputation. Once they learn that his views differ so radically from those of the average voter, they'll be disenchanted. He doesn't have me worried.

April 1, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  27. Stacy

Why is McCain winning? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the democrats trying to rip each other's heads off. But remember in the not-too-distant past when the press was so soft on Obama (and I'm a supporter) that Saturday Night Live actually had to point it out? Well, you're doing it again. It's no secret McCain is a darling of the press, but seeing as though this is for the presidency, is it too much to ask that he be appropriately scrutinized? Why is it the conventional wisdom that he's untouchable on foreign policy? He's had some some blunders recently that have virtually gone unreported in any major way. Why?

April 1, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  28. Debbie, Denham Springs, LA

I like Obama, but I can understand why McCain is appealing as well. He's a war hero first of all and frankly, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I don't think ANY of these candidates is particularly strong (I'm still praying that Al Gore will run) but it seems unlikely. But McCain has some qualities that do make him appealing.

April 1, 2008 at 1:42 pm |
  29. Jen, ND

Anderson/Palmer,
    I just heard about a seemingly passed-over comment by Barack Obama a couple of days ago, when he was in Johnstown, Pa. On the subject of abstinence-only education, he talked about his own daughters and said he's going to teach them about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, "I don't want them punished with a baby." He also said he didn't want them punished with an STD and so it doesn't make sense to not give them information.
    I am an ardent Obama supporter, and have been even throughout the Rev. Wright issue. I've watched CNN religiously, especially 360, and I haven't heard anything about this statement, here or anywhere else. Why isn't this being addressed?? Letting him get by with this feeds into the already rampant idea that he's getting a break from the press. The abortion issue is no small thing, and I would think that your show would try to buck the trend...

April 1, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  30. Bev C.

I don't know the demographics of the people who were polled and said they would vote for McCain – I just can't believe that people would want another four years of Republican rule. Isn't 8 years enough, especially with the idiots in office now?

April 1, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  31. Ulysse

Well, I was thinking about what Chelsea Cliton said yesterday : "I dont think somebody should vote for or against my mother because of my father". I would have liked to be in the audience to answer her with this :

Exactly what I was thinking! I dont see why somebody should vote for your mother because or your father or because of you for that matter just as I think somebody should not vote against Obama because of Rev Wright comment's.

When your parents, uncles, aunts, etc are liars, tcheaters, racists, sexists, etc, that does not mean that the child of that person will be the same as his family members or friends.

By the way, I watched Seinfeld for years on TV and when the guy who was playing Kramer went racist in a comedy club, I havent heard Jerry Seinfeld say that he repudiated the man like the media want's Obama to do with Rev Wright. Racists are simply ignorant people and/or stupid people who dont know any better. Like Obama, I have a white mother and a black father. People are stupid to think that for somebody borned from white and black could be racist against either white or black. All the idiots who say Obama is racist on the blogs are a bunch of ignorant and/or idiots who dont know what they are talking about.

From an objective point of view, I see that Hillary as lied to the american people like her husband lied to her and the world before. I dont think that Chelsea is like her parents, I feel and hope she as more integrity than her parents.

As for being borned from white and black, I know first hand than growing up, people most of the time see me as a black man. When they here me talk thought, they are surprised. I have faced racisme many times in my life like when I was looking for an appartement. On the phone, everything looks fine but when I get there in person, they search for an excuse not to rent the appartement to me. Am I pissed of by this, absolutely. Does that make me racist? Absolutely not. Maybe if I was borned by two black parents I could become racist through events like that and say things like Rev Wright said out of fury but I cannot be because I love both my black father and my white mother equally. I am sure Obama lived the same things I had to live growing up and that has given him insight and knowledge about humans that not every person has a chance to develop.

April 1, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  32. Ozge, VA

I am an independent supporting Obama. I want to ask you though, why did you all suddenly stop asking about Clinton's tax returns? If she is running for President, I think we have a right to learn where their income is coming from. Is Bill Clinton really a consultant to a Sheikh of UAB? In what capacity? Why can't she release previous years' tax returns?

April 1, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  33. Dusten, South Carolina

First of all, melanoma is not a disease that just old people get. It is increasing in younger people due to increased sun exposure and tanning beds so any candidate is at risk for this. People criticized Ronald Reagan when he was running for a second term and said that he was too old for the job. Looking back in retrospect he is now considered the patriarch of the Republican Party. I do not think that someone should be discounted for a job simply based on their age if they are mentally and physically competent to do the job. However, I do think that the person should realize themselves when they are no longer the best candidate for the job. I am a Republican from South Carolina and I feel that Strom Thurmond made many contributions in the senate over the last fifty years but I think in his remaining years he should have stepped down because his staff was doing most of his work for him and he was just there to break a record. Overall, I do not think that John McCain has reached the point where he is not entitled to run due to his age.

April 1, 2008 at 1:11 pm |
  34. JT

Poll can sometime manipulated as we have seen in the past.

If you think deeper and look at everything, Hillary is a better candidate for November!!

April 1, 2008 at 1:09 pm |
  35. Jim Boyse

Just a question: Shouldn't 360 be covering McCain's alleged violation of the campaign financing rules? Seems like an ideal topic for Keeping Them Honest.

April 1, 2008 at 12:52 pm |
  36. Janice, Aberdeen, SD

Actually, I want to take issue with David Gergen's comments last night. He said something to the effect that anytime Hillary gets behind she starts complaining how's she's being treated (i.e. the girl who's being picked on by the boys).

What I do know about the President is that man or woman, they'd better be ready to handle the job. I like women leaders, but most of them I know understand that competition with the guys is often unfair but they use that to motivate themselves and they enjoy the challenge. They don't whine. Hillary is sometimes tough, and occasionally emotional in a good way, but at the same time she or her campaign seems to whine for effect. In the end this makes her look weak.

And you wonder why McCain is winning? I don't think the perception of him can ever be that he isn't tough enough. Culturally we admire toughness probably more than smarts or capability. Is McCain too old- yes – and it's fair game to challenge this. How easy will it be to get him out of office if it's a problem? Do we want the VP he would pick taking over?

To beat him a Democrat doesn't have to be as tough as he is, but must not appear weak, and then be twice as smart and much more capable in their judgement – however they prove it. And turning out as many folks as possible at the polls is a must.

April 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  37. Danny

Anderson, tell DNC that if they don't want Hillary to be President we are
    people need she run for (PPP) People Power Party, I think she going to
    beat Obama and McCain in general election.

April 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  38. Eileen

Have you seen his 95 yr old mother? Most young people couldn't keep the pace that he does, still look good and have more than enough energy. Think about it...this man spent 5 1/2 yrs as a POW where he suffered many breaks and blows to his body. I fell off a porch when I was young and fell many times throughout the years and now have arthritis in these bones because of it. He still goes on in spite of his energies...I applaud him and have no doubt he can sustain a Presidency.

April 1, 2008 at 12:39 pm |
  39. Big State News

Well it is official now.

Obama won the most delegates in Texas (He won the big state!). That means that since Feb 5 it is 16 -1 on wining most delegates. Why would any person think Hillary should stay in unless it is for there to be something to talk about on the news.

The Clinton camp just can't face the fact that there days are over. We as a country need to get out of the politics of party spin on literally everything and roll up our sleves and work together for what makes this country strong, healthy, and er um ethical.

Hillary is the ultimate me me me power hungry politician of the past. There are so many great women that care more about their country than their own ambition. I hope Obama will select one of them for VP.

Yes Hillary he won the big state. Get out so we can get on with it.

April 1, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think the American people need to hear what John McCain says. I want to hear his views and plans and don't want the press to manipulate this election. Just facts on Obama, Clinton and John McCain. I hope your program won't just do a piece on McCain to be critical of just his age, health or implied older mind. Thank you.
    Just a note, if Fema trailers are toxic, so are much of the other travel trailers in this country. It's the materials used to make them. Please look into the whole story on trailers.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

April 1, 2008 at 12:10 pm |
  41. Max

"to what extent should voters consider his age and health in this race or… has he already proved himself more vigorous than the rest?"
    Way to beg the question!
    I don't consider McCain "vigorous." He's wrong on Iraq and Iran, and that's where the buck stops.

April 1, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  42. douglas platt

Sad to say addiction is still poorly understood! Being under treatment is GREAT. Being an un treated addicted surgeon ? Now that is a scary thought indeed.

IT HAS BEEN 26 YEARS SINCE I USED ALCOHOL OR DRUGS BUT i AM STILL "UNDER TREATMENT" SINCE THE TREATMENT OF CHOICE IS ABSTINENCE. I never practiced my profession while "high" or under the influence.

Statistically, one person is ten has a substance abuse problem.
    Statistically one in a hundred is "under treatment".

THINK ABOUT IT.

April 1, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  43. Diane N.

Well I don't think skin cancer constitutes the determination of someones age and their abilities, skin cancer can happen at any age. My mom is close to the same age as John McCain and she looks the same as she did when she was my age of 42 and is as energetic and more fit than I am. What's all this descrimiination. John McCains age, Hillarys gender, Obamas race. I feel like I'm back in grade school sometimes when I watch all this finger pointing.

'well he's this and she's that and he's that' bleh! It leaves a bad taste in the mouth...

April 1, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  44. Cindy

Barclay,
    It was nice seeing you on the behind the scenes thing yesterday! Nice to be able to put a face with a name on here. Hopefully we'll get to see more of you.

I really don't think that we have to know a candidates full medical history until they become the pres. I think as long as they and their doctors say that they are healthy then that is good enough. We don't have to know everything!

I think people are not giving John McCain enough credit!! The sole focus as of late has been on the Dems and everyone has discounted John too much. He is a very formidable opponent. And if the Dems think they are going to run right over him then they have another thing coming!! I can see why he is ahead in the polls! Hillary and Obama keep getting caught in lies and scandal!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

April 1, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  45. Lilibeth

Hi Barclay, some quick thoughts:

On McCain's health...health and age matter...to a point. What matters more is whether he has the mental capacity to make good decisions for the country.

The Dems are hurting each other more, and this causes McCain to look better. However, there is still time to repair the damage...November is 7 months away...but it would behoove them to come together and reconcile...the sooner the better!

Mrs. Clinton should not quit yet...again, there are still 7 months to go...no need to quit early.

Thanks, Barclay!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

April 1, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Wow Barclay sounds like a packed show and it is only noon. This is when 2 hours of 360 would be great. Can't wait for tonight

April 1, 2008 at 11:57 am |
  47. Donna Richardson

I would like to know why Sen. Obama is a member of a church that advocates separatism between Blacks and Whites?

April 1, 2008 at 11:51 am |
  48. derek

Anderson,
    Why dont you ask the Obama campaign staffers to explain his ties to Rev. James Meeks from Chicago. Keep them hoest.

April 1, 2008 at 11:46 am |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Barclay,
    Last night's show was very interesting. It was fun to watch the blog cam in action. I'm looking foward to tonight as well. I'm glad that Candy Crowley and Dana Bash will be on. How about Michael Ware in Iraq? What's going on there? Great work on the show by the way. See you later.

April 1, 2008 at 11:30 am |
  50. comfortablynumb

I just saw on CNN Newsroom that the body of a toddler was found on the outskirts of a flooded area where the child and parent were trying to escape their stalled car...I can't find any information on it anywhere, and was wondering if there was some info anyone could share.
    Also, the story of the man in Baltimore who drowned his three children and planned to harm himself before calling the front desk. Is there any new information of motives behind this sad story? These have been on my mind, didn't know if you had a story.

April 1, 2008 at 11:26 am |